FauxWhoa-tography: Outrageous photo of Beirut rubble

posted at 1:15 pm on August 30, 2006 by Allahpundit

Number one on Yahoo’s list of “Most Viewed” and “Most E-mailed” news photos right now. I’ve, um, closely scrutinized it for evidence of doctoring.

Verdict: Legit.

beirut2.jpg

Shameless Insta-bait? Perhaps.

Send me some tips, people. I’ve got nothing here.

Fauxtography bonus: As you’ve probably seen on Drudge, CBS has copped to ‘shopping that photo of Katie.

Whoa-tography for the ladies: Soldiers hard at work in Lebanon. Guess where they’re from.

french-soldiers.jpg

Elsewhere in Beirut: Now the healing can begin.

jesse.jpg

Whoa-tography bonus: Phin at Agent Bedhead names his perfect woman. For a limited time only.

Obligatory link for old-school Allahpundit fans: Haifa, who’s also from Beirut, used to get linked every damn day on the old Allah blog. Welcome to Hot Air, HW.

More whoa-tography, ladies’ night edition: The boss says my photo of the French foreign legion soldiers was weak. She recommends this instead.

Comments

Well . . . she sure looks like she belongs in the photo.

Labamigo on August 30, 2006 at 1:21 PM

I don’t know… It may be a fake. What gives it away is the guy in the background, behind the turned over car. He is NOT staring at her a**. He looks like he is looking across the street. Need a Zoom In. If this was real he would be staring at her a**. I know I would be!!!

WOW!!

dallas94 on August 30, 2006 at 1:25 PM

Ah. So that’s why they say uncovered women are distracting.

Tanya on August 30, 2006 at 1:25 PM

GASP!! Where’s her burqa?? Well, she LOOKS healthy.

tickleddragon on August 30, 2006 at 1:27 PM

Why, in God/Allah’s name, would you want to put a burka on that?

Morons…

Hoodlumman on August 30, 2006 at 1:33 PM

I’m pleased to see that things are back to normal at HA.

Kid from Brooklyn on August 30, 2006 at 1:34 PM

Allow me to define morons:

Islamic fundamentalists

That wasn’t aimed at tickleddragon.

Hoodlumman on August 30, 2006 at 1:35 PM

I’m not a photoshop expert, but something doesn’t look right. Look at her arm without the bag(no, I said look at her arm)I’m sure someone will say its shadows or something, but it looks funny,kinda three-d looking,like it was superimposed.I don’t know.

vcferlita on August 30, 2006 at 1:43 PM

vcferlita

I think it’s just a cloudy day – look at the lack of clear shadows around everything else. That’s why we photographers like cloudy days – they’re like God’s own softbox.

KCSteve on August 30, 2006 at 1:48 PM

Verdict: Legit.

Did you look at the entire photo in making that determination, or were you focused on one specific part? Not that we would blame you for being sidetracked, but such a verdict as you rendered would require a testosterone-free analysis.

thirteen28 on August 30, 2006 at 1:48 PM

vcferlita on August 30, 2006 at 1:43 PM

I didn’t even notice she had arms.

GASP!! Where’s her burqa?? Well, she LOOKS healthy.

tickleddragon on August 30, 2006 at 1:27 PM

Hello? Wake up person. Is the only thing you know about the muslim world drawn from Fox News?

THeDRiFTeR on August 30, 2006 at 1:57 PM

KCSteve
Good point. I remember from doing some photograhy, cloudy days are good and/or alot of times the right amount of fill flash makes your subject stand out. Thanks.

vcferlita on August 30, 2006 at 1:57 PM

Keep up the exhaustive analysis, Allah. I think you’re on the right rack.

TRACK, I meant track….

World B. Free on August 30, 2006 at 2:02 PM

Allah announces he’s back on the market.

Since when was I off the market?

Btw: They’re running away.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2006 at 2:22 PM

French Foreign Legion guy in a speedo?

Eh. Blah.

Dunno about the rest of the Hot Air ladies in the audience, but this is not my idea of equal time.

Here, girls: This should satisfy.

Michelle on August 30, 2006 at 2:23 PM

I’m outraged!

Allahpundit on August 30, 2006 at 2:24 PM

Keep up the exhaustive analysis, Allah. I think you’re on the right rack.

TRACK, I meant track….

World B. Free on August 30, 2006 at 2:02 PM

Funniest thing I’ve ever read on HotAir, and I’ve read some very funny things indeed. Thanks for that one WBF, I truly appreciate it.

THeDRiFTeR on August 30, 2006 at 2:25 PM

French Foreign Legion guy in a speedo?

Eh. Blah.

stinky French guy vs. HOT firefighter…hmmmm…..that’s a hard one….. :)

Oh, and for all of you testosterone-filled guys, the girl in the white top is NOT hot. She has roots, her hair is frizzy and her jeans are just…just…bad. not to mention that she has stomach fat seeping over the top of the jeans. White belt??? that’s sooooooo 1985.

pullingmyhairout on August 30, 2006 at 2:30 PM

Whenever I’ve contemplated why these people want to throw sheets over their women, I’ve always wanted to ask the men, “Whatsa matta? Can’t you control yourselves?”

Looking at that photo, and considering how that’s one culture that still blames the victim in cases of rape, I think I’ve got my answer.

Spurius Ligustinus on August 30, 2006 at 2:32 PM

Honestly, I’d need to see how they looked laying down to tell for sure they aren’t fake….oh! sorry, my bad…never mind…

coondawg on August 30, 2006 at 2:38 PM

French Foreign Legion guy in a speedo?

Eh. Blah.

Here, girls: This should satisfy.

Michelle on August 30, 2006 at 2:23 PM

MANCANDY courtesy of MM! YAY!

labwrs on August 30, 2006 at 2:41 PM

Something is definitely fishy with the bra. Do you have a high-resolution enlargement so I can make a detailed analysis?

Valiant on August 30, 2006 at 2:41 PM

Obviously, you all have failed to notice the plastic chair. What is this woman’s link to Abu Ghraib and the murder of Nick Berg? Infamous plastic chairs do not just suddenly appear for no reason. Strange things are definitely afoot at the Circle K.

An Army of Davids??? More like an army of Bud Bundys. (Does that increase or diminish the likelihood of an Insta-link?)

rw on August 30, 2006 at 2:43 PM

If I remember correctly, the Legion doesn’t accept French nations in it’s service. So they aren’t entirely without character.

High Desert Wanderer on August 30, 2006 at 2:51 PM

Is this CBS’s before and after pictures of that Lebanese woman who lost all those houses because of israeli airstrikes?
/ref Couric weight loss pictures

LakeRuins on August 30, 2006 at 2:56 PM

I think I see the end of that cable from the NYT cheesecake photo!

By the way… I believe this pic from Lebanon. If it is, this is why those Islamofascists will ultimately fail in Lebanon. Those people know how to P-A-R-T-Y and they ain’t gonna stop now.

BTW Allah, thanks for HAIFA. Talk about your Middle-East “Piece” OMG!!!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on August 30, 2006 at 2:56 PM

Oh and by the way ladies, that Frenchman Allah gave you, the 20% you can’t see is on its way to Lebanon!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on August 30, 2006 at 2:58 PM

I’ll take the firefighters over the frog anyday.

For some reason, I don’t think she’s is a very good Muslima.

moonsbreath on August 30, 2006 at 2:59 PM

pullingmyhairout,

only women care about such trifling details. My hubby has told me repeatedly that women are poor judges of other women’s beauty.

And stop dissing 1985. Its coming back, I tell you.

I have ankle boots, tapered jeans, and a pink and black checkered asymmetrical shirt hanging in the back of my closet. When that fashion year rolls around again, I gonna POUNCE.
Don’t be lost when the time comes! For the day of fashion recycling cometh as a thief in the night!

lauraw on August 30, 2006 at 3:16 PM

Perhaps this is a photojournalistic peace offering. Ok, let’s talk. Bring more pics to the table, ok?

Pablo on August 30, 2006 at 3:18 PM

They’re running away.

I knew you’d say that.

lauraw on August 30, 2006 at 3:43 PM

I don’t see her talking on a cellphone. Something isn’t right.

JammieWearingFool on August 30, 2006 at 3:47 PM

Allah, she’s not your type. I thought you liked liberal redheads (KP, AMC).

mikeyboss on August 30, 2006 at 3:49 PM

not to mention that she has stomach fat seeping over the top of the jeans.

Ah yes, the muffin top. Arguably the worst fashion trend in recent memory….

World B. Free on August 30, 2006 at 3:56 PM

Hey, Drifter, my comment was a joke. Look it up, Sport. Geez, bitter much?

I don’t watch tv news, and I know plenty about Muslim culture.

tickleddragon on August 30, 2006 at 4:03 PM

Thanks, Michelle for your contribution. French Foreign Legion, not so much. NYFD…Yes!

tickleddragon on August 30, 2006 at 4:04 PM

So that is what a vehicle hit by a missile is supposed to look like.

More trampolines Michelle, more trampolines.

Rustyw on August 30, 2006 at 4:34 PM

Michelle to the rescue. French Foreign Legion? Lame, Allah.

Lauraw: I am never going back to tapered jeans, I do not care if the 80s come back every year from now on. :)

Anwyn on August 30, 2006 at 4:41 PM

lol, Couric on the photoshop:

“I liked the first picture better because there’s more of me to love.”

RightWinged on August 30, 2006 at 5:28 PM

Thank you, Michelle. That is MUCH better!!

StephC on August 30, 2006 at 5:56 PM

Michelle, go girl!

Jaibones on August 30, 2006 at 6:02 PM

On the first picture…schwing! What’s with all the hate? Stomach fat over her jeans? She’s showing her belly like half of the rest of the free world. How about a sigh of relief she’s not getting her a** kicked by some Islamo-fascist primitive for showing what she’s showing? Gee whiz. Lighten up. On the second, how long until we have another UN peacekeeper underage sex scandal? How long before Pepe Lepuke goes looking for a middle school to liberate? Yes, I’m that cynical. As to Katie Cartman, I don’t believe for a minute that she wasn’t the one who ordered the lard shaving off that picture. Why don’t you ladies beat up on her a bit?

austinnelly on August 30, 2006 at 6:36 PM

Now we know why the Reverend Jackson made a quest to Lebanon.

gary on August 30, 2006 at 8:36 PM

Verdict: Legit.

I’m not convinced. I think we’re gonna need a couple more threads to sort this out. Has anyone found the Hi Res version, yet? Do we have a hair stylist or maybe a mammogram tech in the house?

Pablo on August 30, 2006 at 10:30 PM

Just in case anyone was wondering why Michelle’s the boss!

JM Hanes on August 30, 2006 at 11:42 PM

Hey, can we do a caption contest on the Jackson photo? How about ‘This is what happens to people who don’t give to Rainbow Push.’ Cheap shot, I know. But why is he over there? Photo ops, make a few anti-semitic remarks… ‘the juwes are the ones who won’t be blamed for nothing (sic) ‘ eh Rev?

austinnelly on August 31, 2006 at 12:17 AM

Argh, I almost forgot what that first picture originally reminded me of. Anyone remember Salma Hayek’s first appearance in Desparado? She’s walking down the street in her town; all the dirty old men are staring at her; two cars actually collide because they were watching her. Something about the way the guy in the back is watching her over the wrecked car made me think of that scene. Silly I know..my neural pathways are overgrown with brambles; thoughts get snagged and turn up in the oddest places.

austinnelly on August 31, 2006 at 12:21 AM

New tactic for the “war on terrorism”:

Flood conservative Muslim countries with babes like that. Jihad vs. Gawking — no contest.

Mark Jaquith on August 31, 2006 at 1:08 AM

Here you go austinnelly: Jesse Jackson Photo Caption from FARK.com

“Jesse Jackson, well on his way to becoming the ruler of the imaginary world where his opinion matters, pauses from bringing peace to the Middle East to solve the problems of striking teachers in Gary, IN”

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on August 31, 2006 at 9:38 AM

Allah – I’m appalled. Skinny, stinky fwenchmen in tiny banana-sling Speedos, no less? What the hell’s wrong with you, man?! Are you even American? Gawd. Thank g-d Michelle came to your rescue or I was gonna have to wash my eyeballs!

Redhead Infidel on August 31, 2006 at 12:13 PM

Since I’m so disgusted by the pocky fwenchman, I’ll stop complaining and be part of the solution. Here, for us red-blooded American babes, are some more Real American Males. (Ignore the gross lib photos at the top, just scroll dowwwwnnn). :)

Redhead Infidel on August 31, 2006 at 12:25 PM