Secret hold: And then there were 15 (Update: Byrd cleared; down to 9 7 6 5?)

posted at 2:42 pm on August 29, 2006 by Allahpundit

Still alive: Stevens and Byrd. Eliminated: Stabenow.

Mary K thinks it’s Stevens; I say it’s the Kleagle. We’re trying to figure out something pork-related to wager. Her suggestion: if I win, she gives me some honey-baked ham. If she wins, I give her some spicy sausage.

The secret-hold saga — not just suspenseful, but so damn hot.

It’s like film noir.

Update: And already we’re down to 14.

Update: Flip e-mails to say that, according to Porkbusters, Byrd’s in the clear.

Flip’s also been comparing PB’s list with TPM Muckraker’s and concludes we’re down to nine. Ted Stevens is among them.

I may owe someone some meat.

Update: Flip says Talent’s been eliminated, so it’s down to eight. But Baucus just denied it to TPMM, and he’s on Flip’s list. So we stand at seven.

Update: Flip says Sarbanes is out. Six.

Update: And now five. TPMM says Rockefeller is out.

Comments

My $’s on Reid.

flip on August 29, 2006 at 2:48 PM

If she wins, I give her some spicy sausage.

Sounds like you win either way.

mikeyboss on August 29, 2006 at 2:52 PM

Watch, everyone winds up eliminated! Then you’ll be back to square one trying to figure out who the liar is. lol

kaltes on August 29, 2006 at 2:54 PM

I know there is a great joke in that, but I won’t say it here.

PattyAnn on August 29, 2006 at 2:55 PM

I find this whole thing absurd. It’s a “secret” and you are unlikely to get the person responsible to say … “yes, it was me.”

What I find most rediculous is that in the tally, most of the responses are from office workers or aids who would not have knowlege of whether or not their boss is the culprit.

What a waste of time. At least, going about it this way.

Just my opinion obviously, but I would be absolutely stunned if one of the callers were to get an admission from whoever the guilty party might be.

Gregor on August 29, 2006 at 3:03 PM

Sounds like a win-win to me.

Kid from Brooklyn on August 29, 2006 at 3:05 PM

Eventually, we’ll find out who it is. Then what? Will it make one bit of difference? Both sides spend out of control.

rightside on August 29, 2006 at 3:13 PM

I don’t expect a confession. but I’m placing my bets on Byrd. If it’s him, I can’t wait to hear the old geezer spin his way out of this.

pullingmyhairout on August 29, 2006 at 3:22 PM

This reminds me of how both sides of the aisle came unglued when Jefferson’s office got raided. It’s obvious that both parties are so infected with corruption. To me, the only thing that can save the country would be to install term limits in congress. That’s unlikely to ever happen.

Gregor on August 29, 2006 at 3:25 PM

I say it’s the porkster of all porksters, as a lasting final ‘good bye’ and the trump card of his career – the man who protects the Senate from us and from itself – Mr. Byrd.

Note to MKH – summer sausage, spicy or not, is better…

Entelechy on August 29, 2006 at 3:26 PM

If it turns out to be Mr. Byrd, the timing couldn’t be better!

Entelechy on August 29, 2006 at 3:28 PM

I hearby crown Allah the official king of the double entendre.

SisterToldjah on August 29, 2006 at 3:37 PM

Is Santorum cleared?

dallas94 on August 29, 2006 at 4:10 PM

Sister, I was wondering when you were going to see that.

PattyAnn on August 29, 2006 at 4:13 PM

My bet is that all 100 senators will say “not me.”

Labamigo on August 29, 2006 at 4:40 PM

Watch it be Martinez. He’s been a big disappointment this year for me.

Enoxo on August 29, 2006 at 4:45 PM

If that’s the case… When will the MSM start blaming Cheney?

dallas94 on August 29, 2006 at 4:46 PM

Kate O’Bierne talks about this in the Corner over at NRO. Seems the person will be outed within 72 hours of putting on the “hold”.

robblefarian on August 29, 2006 at 5:41 PM

Down to 3, all Republicans >:(
Ted Stevens (R-AK)
Mike Crapo (R-ID)
Judd Gregg (R-NH)

gash on August 29, 2006 at 6:32 PM

Totally Stevens. Stevens is a pork hound. The man could smell half a strip of dried bacon half a mile away in a hurricane.

Mark Jaquith on August 29, 2006 at 7:50 PM

Not only will it be a Republican, but it will be a Republican that will be utterly demolished and chastised by the entire right blogosphere.

The entire right blogosphere, except for one blogger, that is. I don’t know which one. But someone just won’t bother to blog it, perhaps because he or she has a hangover, or a gynecologist appointment. And the entire leftosphere will link to this one blogger saying, “Look! See! The right won’t condemn their own!”

The Unabrewer on August 29, 2006 at 9:18 PM

If she wins, I give her some spicy sausage.

Oh boy…