What’s scarier, an Israeli missile or a deer falling from an overpass?

posted at 5:36 pm on August 28, 2006 by Allahpundit

People are getting cranky because I backed up the Times on that Rockwell-by-way-of-Guccione USO photo. So here’s something to earn back the public’s goodwill. Compare:

reuters-gaza.jpg

deer.jpg

Don’t bother checking Snopes, either. It’s legit.

The Reuters van was armored so the comparison’s not entirely fair. But it’s fair enough. I sent an e-mail to Noah Shachtman of Defense Tech asking him what kind of half-assed munitions the Zionists are arming themselves with these days. Hopefully he’ll be able to resolve this one way or another.

Here’s another photo from the Middle East that I wish was a photoshop but probably isn’t. It comes from the Mines Advisory Group (MAG). Update: Photo removed. See update below.

I’d love to know who took it, but no photo credit is provided. Click to see what it is that the kid’s standing maybe six feet away from.

Update: SeeDubya’s been looking at the photos and thinks it was shrapnel, not the missile itself, that did the damage to the Reuters van. Via IM, Rusty agrees.

Update Aug. 29: Irena Kuszta from MAG e-mailed to point out the copyright notice on the site. I honestly hadn’t seen it; the photo has now been removed. My apologies to MAG and to photographer Sean Sutton.

Comments

From the looks of it, the Israelis aren’t using deer. Maybe large rabbits.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 28, 2006 at 5:48 PM

With big teeth! Those rabbits are killers!

Mr. Bingley on August 28, 2006 at 5:51 PM

Peta should push for a ban on hunting with an SUV. With the current cutbacks on SUV production we need them all, SUVs that is, to survive.

Looks like Israel knows who their enemies are!

JA6601 on August 28, 2006 at 5:53 PM

Spitballs.

Niko on August 28, 2006 at 5:55 PM

Photo-stringers in the mid-east seem to never lack a good supply of toys, wailing women, children or ambulances.

Hoodlumman on August 28, 2006 at 5:55 PM

While the photo might not be doctored, there’s no doubt it’s staged. I would say it’s 99% sure the grenade is either fake, or not armed. Seriously, does anyone think a photographer would squat down next to a live grenade to take a photo? And even if they were willing to do that, does anyone wonder why the photographer, obviously knowing what it was, would allow the child to approach it? Naw …

Staged, and most likely a fake grenade.

Gregor on August 28, 2006 at 6:13 PM

You never know, Gregor, some Lebanese seem to hate Jews more than they love their children. Surely some mullah somewhere has proclaimed anti-Zionist propaganda a new method of entering Allah’s land of eternal life.

That and the re-routing of planes due to bomb threats, apparently.

Now, you’ve got a great point here:

NTWR on August 28, 2006 at 6:41 PM

…a new method of entering Allah’s land of eternal life

NTWR, I thought that’s our addiction to HOTAiR :)

Entelechy on August 28, 2006 at 6:48 PM

Ha! Good one Entelechy.

NTWR on August 28, 2006 at 6:51 PM

NTWR, where about in Calif. do you live? – I’m in North San Diego.

Entelechy on August 28, 2006 at 6:54 PM

Central Coast. North SD’s a nice place to be!

NTWR on August 28, 2006 at 7:03 PM

It’s already resolved. There is no way on Earth that damage is from a missile strike, and that goes double for a two missile strike.

Did you catch the part about one of the two occupants being an employee of Iranian World TV?

Would they lie to you?

Pablo on August 28, 2006 at 7:04 PM

The Reuters van in that photo is NOT armored.

The Machine on August 28, 2006 at 8:24 PM

Shrapnel doesn’t look like that either. Shrapnel doesnt throw around baseball-size chunks at slow speeds, instead you get a LOT of small shards of metal. A vehicle hit by shrapnel would look like it was blasted by a really big shotgun, or to be specific, it would have a lot of little holes, not one big one and some cracked glass.

I can’t believe how little common sense is being used by people looking at these photos. You do not need to be a munitions expert to know what missiles do to vehicles. There is some VERY BASIC conceptual physics at work here, and I think part of the problem is that most bloggers have no clue how military weapons work.

kaltes on August 28, 2006 at 8:49 PM

Gregor is right.
No photog would really put themselves in danger but endangering a child..well..anything for the “ART”/sarcasm Y’All!!!

labwrs on August 28, 2006 at 9:16 PM

… most bloggers have no clue how military weapons work.

I’m not sure what you’re saying Kaltes. Are you saying the photos are doctored, or not doctored. Because it seems to me the bloggers are the only people that DO seem to have the common sense to know what military weapons would do. The bloggers are the ones who are turning out to be correct. So, what is your point?

Gregor on August 28, 2006 at 9:20 PM

The infamous suicide terrorist Osama Bin Bambi, after being sought for years has finally met justice!

Speakup on August 28, 2006 at 9:42 PM

That looks like one of those “Beat this caption” pics you see in Maxim magazine! I bet it is in some future issue.

How ’bout this: “Iran test fires new missile called the Venison-1″.

Tony737 on August 28, 2006 at 10:13 PM

sorry to use an internet cliche but all I can say about that Durango is PWN3D!

RightWinged on August 28, 2006 at 10:20 PM

Speaking of which, I tried to submit one the other day but the page didn’t seem to take.. it was weird. On the other hand I’m proud to say my letters (emails) have been published in Maxim twice.. Probably out of a total of 3 or 4 emails I’ve actually sent them. I got my set of top of the line car cleaning supplies for the first one, but they never sent my Maxim bar kit for my other one, and I’m still pissed.

RightWinged on August 28, 2006 at 10:22 PM

“Did ya hit a deer?”

“No, I got into a food fight with Bigfoot … here’s your sign.”

Tony737 on August 28, 2006 at 10:34 PM

Allah, that’s just “Doe-toshop.”

BirdEye on August 28, 2006 at 11:32 PM

Yea. For a Pulitzer he would. He’d stage it, too. Everyman for himself. It takes an awful lot to shock me now.

On that note, I’m tired and I’m going to bed. I think i’m the only one who sleeps on H.A., or at the very least, keeps “normal” hours…

nighty night.

pullingmyhairout on August 28, 2006 at 11:44 PM

In the picture of the boy and the M42 (which is not a grenade — it detonates on contact)… you can see into the bottom. It looks hollow, like a spent shotgun shell, which means it’s alredy gone off. M42s contain a shaped charge that directs the blast downward.

Mark Jaquith on August 29, 2006 at 12:23 AM

BirdEye:

Allah, that’s just “Doe-toshop.”

BirdEye, you’re in time out.

RightWinged on August 29, 2006 at 2:28 AM

The bombs were clearly not clustered densely enough to get rid of Hezbollah. Is “half measures” one of the protocols endorsed by the Elders of Zion? Can anyone tell me?

Kralizec on August 29, 2006 at 2:42 AM

Right-Winged,
Couldn’t Resist.

BirdEye on August 29, 2006 at 9:10 AM

I’ll nver buy another Dodge.

gary on August 29, 2006 at 10:12 AM

And the seat cushion was not to be found.

Speakup on August 29, 2006 at 11:42 AM