Drudgemania?

posted at 9:49 am on August 28, 2006 by Allahpundit

No. Ianmania:

plane-sitemeter.jpg

kp-reaction.jpg

A round of applause, please, for our resident web genius, Mark Jaquith, who’s kept us running smooth and steady even after a wet kiss from Andrew Breitbart.

Update: If the Drudge link’s still up at noon, I’m taking the day off. And if it’s still up at 5 p.m., I’m taking the year off — because the bandwidth charges are going to bring us to our knees.

Update to the update: In case Drudge or Breitbart should see this, that last bit was a joke. Pour it on, baby.

Update: The link is gone from the top of the page. Alas.

Comments

Don’t complain. A Drudge link to my Blog would be like the ultimate Wet Dream. I’m already envious of your hourly hit rate on the graph.

pjcomix on August 28, 2006 at 9:55 AM

Now you know how the rest of us feel when we get a Hot Air link. By the way, and I don’t think this is an overreaction, I demand that the word “plane” be bleeped on all television programming from this moment on, and any failure to do so just proves that Hollywood is a bunch of blah blah blah blah blah

Jim Treacher on August 28, 2006 at 10:32 AM

I am new to this blog business, so forgive the question. Isn’t a Drudge link the right-blog equivalent of getting into Oprah’s book club?

Kid from Brooklyn on August 28, 2006 at 11:29 AM

Yep, hence the traffic spike.

Treacher, nobody I’ve read has said that Hollywood had some kind of moral obligation to truncate the opening. I don’t, but I reserve the right to consider the whole thing quite tacky.

Anwyn on August 28, 2006 at 11:48 AM

What happened to the comments? Maybe it is just on my end, but I’m able to view all of the comments at the other Top Picks, yet not a thing comes up for the 35 comments in the Emmy topic. I cannot even log in there. Am I the only one with this problem?

Deadline Hollywood also links to that video here in Hot Air.

DannoJyd on August 28, 2006 at 12:44 PM

Danno, it’s not just you – same here, at home and at work.

Entelechy on August 28, 2006 at 1:26 PM

I think, then, it is obvious you don’t know much about what is going on there. MOST of Drudge’s links go to regular news sources like ABC, or al Reuters, or Variety and the like.

The reason that anyone gets so excited about a Drudge link is because his hit rate is so high that it is SURE to drive your own stats up should you be linked there.

But, Drudge does NOT only link to “right-blogs”. In fact, he doesn’t even do that often, all that much.

Warner Todd Huston on August 28, 2006 at 1:30 PM

What an honor.

Drudge is my number one site. When I login, I always go to Drudge to see what’s up. I consider him to be the finest editor in the news. He juxtaposes links in ways that lead you to see connection otherwise missed.

I like the three headed animal stories too. Runs in my family. Reading, not three heads.

entagor on August 28, 2006 at 1:52 PM

Comments on all entries here appear to count trackbacks as comments but not vice versa. Another story says “4 comments, 2 trackbacks,” but when you look, there are actually 2 comments and 2 trackbacks. So 37 comments and 37 trackbacks means there are actually 37 trackbacks, no comments.

Anwyn on August 28, 2006 at 2:02 PM

I have seen comments at several blogs to that effect. (It’s not the majority opinion, of course, but when has that ever stopped anybody from making fun of something?)

Jim Treacher on August 28, 2006 at 2:34 PM

Entelechy and Anwyn, thanks for confirming that it isn’t gremlins just targeting me.

While I do understand that the parody wsn’t targeting the crash in Kentucky, it seems a bit of hypocrisy is prevelant when comparing the outrages expressed over the 9/11 movie. The former was viewed as being in bad taste due to the timming, and the latter was viewed as being in bad taste even though 5 years had passed.

Hollywood morality? That was funny! I gave up on Hollywood years ago, and thus I don’t bother watching their award shows.

DannoJyd on August 28, 2006 at 3:49 PM

Warner Todd Huston on August 28, 2006 at 1:30 PM

Hence, it would be like getting into Oprah’s Book Club. While I’m new to blogs, I’ve made Drudge my main news source since 2001. So I can appreciate the momentous rarity of today’s link.

Kid from Brooklyn on August 28, 2006 at 5:24 PM

Kid From brok;yn,

Hmm. Maybe I get what you mean now. I thought you were saying that Drudge has all conservative links on his site.

Sorry, for my confusion!

Warner Todd Huston on August 28, 2006 at 6:36 PM

Ah, the downside of preparing too well: Drudge et al link to the site and I don’t get to bill for time spent frantically holding the server together with duct tape. Actually, that graph is really funny… it shows the spike lasting from 5am until 11am, which is almost exactly when I was sleeping.

Mark Jaquith on August 28, 2006 at 10:57 PM