Canadian university launches radically honest recruiting campaign

posted at 1:15 pm on August 28, 2006 by Allahpundit

B.A., B.Sc., B.D.S.:

University vice-chancellor Dr. Fred Gilbert says with post-secondary recruitment becoming increasingly competitive, the university wanted a more unique way to communicate to youth.

I like it. Wouldn’t you rather know up front, before you enroll, that this is how it’s going to be? I mean, you already have a pretty good idea, but wouldn’t you rather see everyone’s cards on the table?

It’s the next stage in the great Red/Blue divorce, I guess. Soon all the smart conservative kids will have to choose between U of Chicago or Notre Dame.

And on that note, cue the U of C and ND alums in the comments telling me what cesspools of liberalism they are.

More at Northwestern Ontario Update. Click the image to see for yourself.

shmale1.jpg

Comments

Yale has in fact gone way down hill, not for those reasons.

Someone needs to photoshop this. Picture of Taliban man, with text changed to “Running an Ivy League university doesn’t necessarily mean you’re smart.”

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 28, 2006 at 1:25 PM

Graduating from any university doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re smart. However, enrolling in a university because it bashes Bush does mean that you’re intellectually immature.

Bill Ramey on August 28, 2006 at 1:31 PM

Wow, cradle-to-grave universities! What a concept. With this premise, graduates can blame any problems in their futures on the university they attended! YAY!

NTWR on August 28, 2006 at 1:35 PM

I can’t speak for any university’s per say, as most Canadian’s call em, but like this country’s university’s some are pretty darn unamerican. Like a course in political absurdly, you just wanna say “Shutup and teach you moron”

How much money did you spend to attend this crap?

Kini on August 28, 2006 at 1:42 PM

Well I of course think the graphic is funny, but it’s pretty astonishing that a University of any merit would go with this. Those crazy Canadians. (PS I am a grad of ND, pretty conservative place IMO. On the plus side, watch out for the Irish on the gridiron this season!!!)

honora on August 28, 2006 at 1:43 PM

Um. This poster says that Yale produced the President of the United States…the most powerful man on the planet.

This is a putdown?

And, you know. He was smart enough to beat Al Gore.

lauraw on August 28, 2006 at 1:46 PM

There is,

We believe the person you become after you
graduate is even more important than the
person you were when you enrolled.

and I still can’t figure out exactly what that means. Then there is,

Experience a dynamic university in a unique environment. Make the smart choice.

which is pretty funny if you know where Thunder Bay Ontario is. And finally,

Go to a university that cares how well you do after you leave.

like becoming the President of the United States can be likened to the welfare lines.

Lets cash in on some anti-americanism, never mind we’re their biggest trading partners, defenders of the continent upon which their country sits and the providers of 99% of their cultural content. You think they’ll be recruiting alot of american students? Perhaps not, but then, I suspect that there will be a rather large influx of new Lebanese students to fill the rolls.

THeDRiFTeR on August 28, 2006 at 1:55 PM

Those Canucks sure are some posers ‘EH.
They can keep their high flow toilets for all I care.

Kramer on August 28, 2006 at 1:55 PM

Well, I wouldn’t go so far as to say ND is a cesspool of liberalism. I’d say you have a conservative student body and a somewhat liberal faculty.

I think the administration and faculty would like to be more liberal, but ND is tied more closely than a lot of schools to its alumni, many of whom are 2nd and 3rd generation Domers. This helps keep the school’s more liberal tendencies in line.

At the point where the endowment gets so big that the school no longer needs the alumni, then all bets are off.

Me, I only contribute enough each year to get put in the lottery for football tickets. Beyond that, and they might slip off their leash.

The Colossus on August 28, 2006 at 2:00 PM

lauraw, you think he actually beat Al Gore? They don’t, I’m quite sure of that.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 28, 2006 at 2:04 PM

I love it! On the one hand the Left says Bush is a bumbler and stupid, and on the other hand he’s an evil genious who stole 2 elections, brilliantly deceived the UN and the international intelligence community, and pulled off the greatest hoax (911) since the lunar landing. Even though our government is incapable of keeping secrets from leaking to the press, Bush has artfully managed…..

Oh! I get it! The “dumb” part of Bush is just an act! He’s just pretending to be dumb so that he can continue to perpetrate his schemes and hookwink everyone (except for the Left, of course, who is on to him).

But, don’t go to Yale, because Yale produces stupid people like Bush….?

Wait, I’m confused again. I’m expecting a South Park character to start screaming “Chewbacca lives on Endor!” at any moment, and then it’ll all start making sense.

Dave Shay on August 28, 2006 at 2:09 PM

Allah,

Of course, John Kerry is also a Yale gad (hint hint).

The Colossus on August 28, 2006 at 2:14 PM

I’d rather they call him evil than stupid.

Niko on August 28, 2006 at 2:14 PM

Yale “Grad”.

The Colossus on August 28, 2006 at 2:14 PM

Dave Shay,
you forgot that Bush can singlehandedly (well, maybe with a little help from Rove)alter the earth’s environment in 6 years and steer hurricanes toward whatever landfall he chooses!!

NTWR on August 28, 2006 at 2:18 PM

From my time there, I would say that U of Chicago is not any less awash in liberal and further leftist than any other University.

Clark1 on August 28, 2006 at 2:23 PM

by hurling insults, Lakehead University comes off looking, well, stupid.”

This pretty much sums it up , thanks http://www.netnewsledger.com/

Also just wondering if anyone would believe anything coming from the same guy that banned internet wifi from the campus? For health reasons?

shooter on August 28, 2006 at 2:24 PM

Of course, John Kerry is also a Yale gad (hint hint).

Yale “Grad”.

Gad or grad, they both work.
Gad: to move restlessly or aimlessly from one place to another.

High Desert Wanderer on August 28, 2006 at 3:00 PM

I don’t have a photo-and haven’t been able to find one on line, but the company audiobooks.com has been running ads in Toronto with a picture of Bush that says something like “Don’t read enough?”. It’s an equally disgusting example of BDS.

WriterMom on August 28, 2006 at 3:07 PM

B.A., B.Sc., B.D.S.

Priceless AP – only you forgot the aADS program.

Bad timing – however, the next version of their ad will read:

Graduating from an Ivy League university
doesn’t necessarily mean you’re smart, or that you won’t fart when meeting new aides.

lauraw, you think he actually beat Al Gore? They don’t, I’m quite sure of that.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 28, 2006 at 2:04 PM

But, for sure, he beat John Kerry (who’s Yale GPA was lower than the President’s, in spite of contrary assumptions): 62,040,610/59,028,111, 285/251, 50.7/48.3

This university might have a Yale complex.

Entelechy on August 28, 2006 at 3:23 PM

Glad to see other Domers on the list. I’d have to say that when I was at ND, the atmosphere was pretty tolerant of political views on either end of the spectrum. One of the best things, for me, is that the students and faculty tend to be more idealistic than cynical.

mikeyboss on August 28, 2006 at 3:23 PM

One of the kids my daughter worked with at Yosemite this summer was a ’06 Yale grad, and he so disliked GWB that he denigrated his own college education in order to bash Bush for his.

He couldn’t understand why I laughed at him.

Bob's Kid on August 28, 2006 at 4:24 PM

No, no, no, people, BUSH is a drooling moron, everybody knows that. *Rove* is the one with the smarts to do all those nefarious things. Haven’t you paid attention?!??

Anwyn on August 28, 2006 at 6:02 PM

Colossus, you have pretty much it on the head with the University of Notre Dame, even when I was there the faculty was much more liberal than the student body ever was. I understand it’s still pretty much the same. When I did my Grad work at William & Mary, I found it to be a much more liberal place than the Dome ever was. Notre Dame Our Mother, Pray for Us.

Catie96706 on August 28, 2006 at 6:32 PM

While there are many Canadians truly supportive of the United States, for the most part Canada is part of Europe and aligned with our enemy the French in its anti-Americanism. This doesn’t surprise me, it’s not funny and I would never give a damn dime of my money to the freaking Canucks!

Umnumzana on August 28, 2006 at 9:01 PM

I say become a plumber or an electrician.

gary on August 29, 2006 at 10:21 AM