Video: Glenn Reynolds on Macacagate

posted at 3:18 pm on August 20, 2006 by Allahpundit

The Blogfather turned up on Reliable Sources this morning to discuss the scandal du jour and the Internet’s role in making it happen. Video of George Allen uttering the “M” word follows, courtesy of YouTube.

Comments

I think I’ll read about Macacagate while lounging on the shore of Lake Titicaca.

pjcomix on August 20, 2006 at 5:01 PM

Ehh, I entered this thing wanting to be on Allen’s side. And reading the written reports about this on the internet left me with the feeling that a bunch of people were looking to hang some unjustified smear on Allen. I mean really, Macacca? What sort of racial slur is that?

I figured that Allen was stuttering arround, trying to address this guy, and some people went “what did he say? Mullety? Mohawky? Well, that sounds awfully close to Macacca, which is a slur in some foreign language, so of course it is a racial slur.

Well, after watching the YouTube, I’m not so sure about that. Allen seemed pretty comfortable with this word. He wasn’t stuttering at all. He used the same word twice, and also in conjunction with the phrase “let’s welcome this guy to America and show him how we do things in Virgina.” So this doesn’t sound like any sort of accidental “George Bush” language mangleing.

So this, plus the fact that in the Glen Reynolds tape, it sounds like he has a long history of stuff like Confederate flags and nooses and other things in a similar vein. (plus I heard his high school graduation pic had him with a confederate flag pin)

Also I heard (well, I think I remember reading it in the comments at “AceofSpades”) that his mother spent time in the country where the word “Macacca” comes from, and very well could have taught him it, well, suddenly the case against Allen looks a lot stronger than I would like.

I wouldn’t call this an outright kiss of death, but it certainly seems like a case of WTF were you thinking? It does look like Allen dropped a turd, and you can’t polish a turd, no matter how much you try.

My impression? Allen did make a racist statement.

EFG on August 20, 2006 at 5:37 PM

This is the first I’ve heard of any of this stuff, so I’m not up to speed on it.

So; According to a web search, macacca (or more properly spelled macaca) is a species of monkey. Most of the search hits turn up one of three things; Allen’s use of the word; the monkey which is ‘popular’ with AIDS researchers; and a band that is apparently quite popular with the “Myspace.com” set.

Maybe the guy Allen was referring to had gone to a Macaca (band) performance and bought a T-shirt which he was wearing and Allen was just trying to read it.

In viewing the video, that seems just as likely an explanation as him calling the guy a monkey because he is a racist. I don’t know or really much care; I’m not an Allen supporter, nor do I have anything against him (yet, anyway).

LegendHasIt on August 20, 2006 at 6:05 PM

If we have any video or pictures out there that show that this is the case, then this sounds like a very good explanation.

But if the guy wasn’t wearing the shirt, well, then it doesn’t work.

To be honest, I haven’t heard all that much about this story, compared to some others out there. It hasn’t generated very much buzz that I have seen.

EFG on August 20, 2006 at 6:56 PM

it sounds like he has a long history of stuff like Confederate flags and nooses and other things in a similar vein. (plus I heard his high school graduation pic had him with a confederate flag pin)”

So what? If he is proud of his heritage, then hang that flag high. And if he doesn’t like criminals then hang them high too!

Khyber Pass on August 20, 2006 at 7:04 PM

“The Sheriff is a N(bell ring)!!!

bbz123 on August 20, 2006 at 7:13 PM

KP, I try to give the “Heritage, not hate” aguement every possible break when it comes up. But I got a gut feeling that it isn’t applicable here.

From what I understand, Allen wasn’t raised in the south. But then again, you don’t have to be raised in the south to appreciate southern culture. But something about this whole thing with Allen is kinda smelling fishy to me.

Bottom line, I hear your arguement, respect it, but I stand by my earlier post that I think Allen made a racist statement.

EFG on August 20, 2006 at 7:36 PM

Mr. Allen might not have had a racist slur in mind. Nor is his ‘confederate parapharnalia’ collection the issue.

Some people never grow up, and that might be to their and our advantage. Some people run their ‘trap’ unchecked, and that might be their style, and they might get by…

It stops when one decides to run for President of the, as of yet, most free, most prosperous and most powerful country in the World. Sometimes even our current President forgets this.

Entelechy on August 20, 2006 at 7:38 PM

So am I to understand that Allen knew he was being taped by his opponent’s people and still did not have the brain-to-mouth filter engaged enough to avoid stepping in it with both feet?

bbz123 on August 20, 2006 at 7:45 PM

What is the name of the operative shooting the video? What name did he give to the Allen campaign? We don’t know from this brief clip what may have come before. Has anyone asked Allen where that name came from?

The Monster on August 20, 2006 at 8:19 PM

The “Macacagate” matter is very similar to Gary Hart’s “Monkey Business” matter (remember Donna Rice?). Both men showed a lack of thought and behaved stupidly. Hart dared the press to catch him doing something and they did. Allen knew he was being watched and recorded by his opponent and shot off some verbal salvos toward the guy filming him. Why in the world would you come up with a nickname so obscure anyway? It makes his claim to not know what it means ring a bit hollow.

Speaking of ringing, bbz123, I got that joke. Funny stuff.

Bellicose Muse on August 20, 2006 at 9:10 PM

Allen versus Allen

Entelechy on August 20, 2006 at 11:38 PM

I think someone who’s tough on criminals (the noose hang thing) is exactly the kind of person I’d vote for!!

VonHelton on August 21, 2006 at 11:43 AM

The “nutroots” *BEHAVE* just like howling monkeys, animals who screech loudly and unintelligibly and throw crap at visitors.

Witness the open hatred exhibited by them towards George Bush and Joe Lieberman.

Behaviorally, as far as I am concerned, there is no difference between the leftist operatives from Webb’s campaign who are attempting to stir up trouble and those creatures on “monkey island” in my local zoo.

Given that those of us who wish to see the USA victorious are called names like “neocon” (a liberal code word for “a former liberal Jew who is a traitor to the Democratic Party”), babykillers, war criminals, and so on, I think Allen got it right the first time with a label that fits like a glove.

Screw them if they can’t take a joke.

georgej on August 21, 2006 at 12:45 PM