Jimmy Carter: “I represent the vast majority of Democrats”

posted at 1:24 pm on August 15, 2006 by Allahpundit

Doesn’t he?

You never can be certain in advance that negotiations on difficult circumstances will be successful, but you can be certain in advance if you don’t negotiate that your problem is going to continue and maybe even get worse.

Lots more at SPIEGEL, including his support for prisoner exchanges that would reward the kidnapping of Israeli soldiers and this penetrating analysis of the dark supremacist motives underlying Bush’s attempts to politically empower 50 million Muslims:

[T]he fundamentalists believe they have a unique relationship with God, and that they and their ideas are God’s ideas and God’s premises on the particular issue. Therefore, by definition since they are speaking for God anyone who disagrees with them is inherently wrong. And the next step is: Those who disagree with them are inherently inferior, and in extreme cases — as is the case with some fundamentalists around the world — it makes your opponents sub-humans, so that their lives are not significant. Another thing is that a fundamentalist can’t bring himself or herself to negotiate with people who disagree with them because the negotiating process itself is an indication of implied equality.

Indeed. Which is why our willingness to negotiate with Iran is so disgusting.

He’s also pretty high on the Freshmaker, I’m sure you’ll be surprised to know.

Update: Here’s what negotiation’s gotten us: “Iran to Refuse UN nuke resolution.”

Comments

They guy can’t even handle rabbit attacks and he’s going to give us advice on terrorism?

frankj on August 15, 2006 at 1:31 PM

I remember the when he tried to handle terrorism. He screwed that up too.

raz0r on August 15, 2006 at 1:36 PM

I remember the long national malaise this man had us in. What a disgusting jerk! He was undoubtedly one of the worst Presidents in history. He needs to be reminded of his failures and brought back to reality—you know things like double interest mortgages, multiple abandoned homes in the rust belt, gas lines, really expensive gas (for that time), brother Billy Carter & let’s not forget the 444 days of the Iran Hostage Crisis. I’m sure there were other things that have slipped my memory but that was an awful 4 years.

Catie96706 on August 15, 2006 at 1:41 PM

BOO crappy Presidents!!

HOORAY Tancredo/Paul ’08!!

But seriously this is the man that gave us stagflation and let OPEC and terrorism run the world. I think the left has brought him back to influence the college crowd that does not remember how poorly this man performed in office.

Theworldisnotenough on August 15, 2006 at 1:55 PM

Dhimmy Carter giving advice on terrorism? I’d rather listen to Teddy Chappaquiddick on sobriety. Considering Mr. Carter’s track record with tyrants, we are now absolutely certain of the origin of HCC’s new toy. Here’s hoping Hugo’s allergic to peanuts.

Kid from Brooklyn on August 15, 2006 at 1:55 PM

“I represent the vast majority of Democrats”

Thanks for confirming the fact you’re an idiot.

JammieWearingFool on August 15, 2006 at 1:56 PM

Carter: There’s no doubt that this administration has made a radical and unpressured departure from the basic policies of all previous administrations including those of both Republican and Democratic presidents.

SPIEGEL: For example?

Carter: The fact that history tell us that if we, the U.S., will just stick our collective heads in the sand and suck up Billy Beer while munching peanuts everything will work out in the end!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on August 15, 2006 at 1:57 PM

There goes Jimmy, one-eyein’ it through history again, coupled with his incomplete recollection of history:

“And I under great difficulty, particularly because Menachim Begin was elected, decided to try negotiation and it worked..”

… I have no idea what that means. Were negotiations difficult due to Begin, or was it the election of Begin that made it difficult to decide to try negotiate? Regardless, Jimmuh’s a stand up guy cuz he got Israel and Egypt to get along.

How’d that peace deal work for Sadat, by the way?

“What happened is that Israel is holding almost 10,000 prisoners,”

.. which should be used as barter-fodder, he says. Nevermind that a large number of those “prisoners” are terrorists.

Similar terrorists to the guys who showed Sadat how much they liked him.

No, no .. Jimmuh, no biggie. Yassar wasn’t a terrorist, either, he was just misunderstood; what with those billions of dollars tucked away in Switzerland while his “people” lived in shitholes, and that whole hijicking scheme he came up with.

“And I think they should declare an immediate cease-fire on both sides, Hezbollah said they would comply, I hope Israel will comply, ”

ye… ah… so, you have more faith in the terrorists than you do an established and legitimate Nation – the one which was attacked? Self-defense of your sovereign terroritory be damned. (Sovereign territory … like, let’s say … an Embassy *cough*).

Putz.

The pic of Peanut Brittle and Castro is classic. Another installment in the series: Jimmy and the Friends of America.

Hey, Jimmy …, as for negotiations and such … how’d those negotiations with Iran back in ’79 work out for you?

Funny how the guys you let boss you around then, are the same guys bossing around Hezbollah.

No,… no Jim-boy … we should all rover and let the radical muslims scratch our bellies like a good boy.

yo on August 15, 2006 at 2:00 PM

Thanks, Jimmy. You are the reason Iran is the way it is today. And they say he’s supposed to be the smartest president this country has ever had. One good thing about him yapping is that it will cost the Dems votes in November. Keep on talking, Jimbo.

Rick on August 15, 2006 at 2:04 PM

I BOOed this guy at the Braves game last year. I have had enough of him especially when I was living abroad and he won the Nobel Prize. The Europeans love his appeasement first and America last attitude. I hope he develps a peanut allergy. grrrrrrr

labwrs on August 15, 2006 at 2:18 PM

The only reason that idiot won was because he was running against Ford. I remember watching the debate and Ford saying that Eastern Euorpe was not under the command of the USSR and they would not be in a Ford administration. I sank in my chair and knew Ford screwed the pooch and ushered the idiot in.

Shmo on August 15, 2006 at 2:31 PM

Jimmy Carter huh. Reminds me of an op ed piece awhile back,

“Jimmy Carter’s post-presidential career has been characterized by a seemingly irresistible impulse to continue the presidency that American voters ended in 1980. Nowhere is this tendency more evident than in Carter’s free-lance diplomatic efforts, which have been governed by an anti-democratic attitude: When faced with a conflict between democracy and peace, choose peace…”

The author goes on to say about the only good things you could say about the man, with a straight face of course.

NRA4Freedom on August 15, 2006 at 2:32 PM

Carter makes Neville Chamberlain look like a stand-up guy. I lived thru the walking clusterf*ck that was the Carter administration. What a waste of semi-human DNA.

MCPO Airdale on August 15, 2006 at 2:37 PM

I keep hearing that we are going to give up on diplomacy if the problem isn’t resolved by November, and bomb Iran’s nuke sites. Is that just wishful thinking? ‘Cause I’m wishing pretty hard…

Kevin M on August 15, 2006 at 2:51 PM

Why was The Wonderful and American Loving President Reagan taken from us..and we are left with this walking talking pile of Excrement, who obviously hates his own country. yea he represents the Democratic Party.. The party of Atheist, Cowards, and Terrorist Lovers.

As much as I detest the position alot of Republicans have on Immigration…I shiver at the horrible possiblity of Democrats in Charge…

havok on August 15, 2006 at 2:53 PM

Jimmy Carter: “I represent the vast majority of Democrats”

Yeah, We know. (snicker)

normsrevenge on August 15, 2006 at 3:04 PM

Der Spiegel interviewers deserve no comment – I’m too furious.

I think I represent the vast majority of Democrats in this country.

True! Good! Schadenfreude!

…enough time has passed so that historical facts can be ignored.

What an idiot!

Unfortunately, after Sept., there was an outburst in America of intense suffering and patriotism, and the Bush administration was very shrewd and effective in painting anyone who disagreed with the policies as unpatriotic or even traitorous.

Because they were and still are!

And so on, and so forth. Also, who wants the rest of the wussies on our side, I mean their governments in this state?

Something which will always make me smile. I wasn’t a citizen then but had placed a bet at work the day of the elections, in Nov. of 1980, that Mr. Reagan would win in a landslide. The next morning I couldn’t show my face among most colleagues, then in the (blue) state of Washington. On the night of the election, Frank Raynolds of ABC said “it’s a rainy night in Georgia“. I have been smiling about it since.

Entelechy on August 15, 2006 at 3:40 PM

messed up something

Entelechy on August 15, 2006 at 3:40 PM

American Values as seen from a liberal viewpoint? Which values? WHAT values?

Families are terrorized by the public [soon to be spelled pubic] school system that is too busy pushing drugs to teach the 3 r’s, in Michigan, Social Services has turned into a clandestine organization that answers to no one as it rips into families under the guise of protecting women, or children, and if a school employee sees anything that can be turned into a charge they MUST report such to the SS,
and divorce is glorifies as the sacrament of a woman becomming independant.

Supporting the Troops has been reduced to charging our Heroes as terrorists, baby killers, or the murderers of innocents. According to leftist dogma, being a patriot means bashing the greed of Americans, harassing the rich, and uttering HATE filled comments against any who work to make America stronger, and safer.

It takes a conservative to push for Family Values while the left continues its smoke, and mirrors approach of either talking the talk while not walking the walk, blaming every problem on Bush, and after washing off the crud they spew, we clearly see that the only thing of value that liberal politicians want saved is power for themselves.

When it comes to making America stronger Carter is worthless, and if he really wants to do something positive with his free time he should go to Cuba, and scrub Castro’s bedpan.

DannoJyd on August 15, 2006 at 3:51 PM

I voted for the idiot in 1976, like the idiot i must have been back then, but, just so tired of the Nixon legacy stuff ya know. God, please forgive me. I knew not what I done!! After 2 years I was calling for impeachment. Does anyone recall the 15% to 19 % interest rates on homes?? or was it more?? How about the hostage rescue in the middle of a sand storm?? Will this guy please go away…please!!

gary on August 15, 2006 at 4:36 PM

Hugo beat him to it.

Rick on August 15, 2006 at 4:41 PM

“Ah wuz fah too trustin’ o’ Mistah Brezhnev!”

- James Earl Carter, speaking on the topic of “Negotiations,” shortly after the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan.

Q.E.D.

Spurius Ligustinus on August 15, 2006 at 5:07 PM

The sad thing is that he Carter does “represent the vast majority of democrats”.

Clueless, spineless, haters of all the values that made America great.

LegendHasIt on August 15, 2006 at 5:21 PM

A failure as a president, diplomat, commander in chief of the military and a failure as an american…..

why does anyone with a brain listen to jimmah carter I will never understand.

robo on August 15, 2006 at 5:44 PM

“The sad thing is that he Carter does “represent the vast majority of democrats””.

Yep.

And add “incompetent traitor” to the list, too.

georgej on August 15, 2006 at 5:48 PM

Let’s give ‘em a country to run.

bdfaith on August 15, 2006 at 6:30 PM

Let’s give ‘em a country to run.

Ok. France is in need of some new blood, and they couldn’t make it worse than it is today. Right?

DannoJyd on August 15, 2006 at 10:24 PM

I remember Jimmy Carter. I was in a state of malaise all during his presidency. We are still paying the price for his weakness in not backing the Shah and allowing Khomeni’s goons to take over. Idiot.

Ellen on August 16, 2006 at 3:35 AM

Jimmy Carter will go down as the worst president of my lifetime. I simply cannot imagine anyone being worse than him…
Every time I hear of the guy I remember him in the oval office in his Mr. Rogers sweater telling me to turn my heat down. Well Jimmy, it is turned down… We are practically freezing to death at this point.

Babs on August 16, 2006 at 11:32 AM