Haditha: Rep. Murtha Kline sorry for jumping to conclusions

posted at 4:19 pm on August 15, 2006 by Allahpundit

That’s the difference between our side and their side, man. When we’re wrong, we admit it.

…Three months later. After we’ve been threatened with a libel suit.

Here’s the interesting part:

Kline, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, said he was briefed on Haditha by Marine Brig. Gen. John F. Kelly, the legislative assistant to the Marine commandant. At the time of the briefings, the official investigations were not complete, and Kline emphasized that “conclusions have not been reached.”

The Corps recently accused Murtha of lying when he said he’d been briefed by Gen. Hagee prior to making his first comments on the case. Murtha leveled his initial accusation of cold-blooded murder on May 17th; the Marines say Hagee didn’t speak with him until May 24th. One of the purposes of the libel suit, according to Wuterich’s lawyer, is to find out who Murtha’s source was. Did Kline just spill the beans? I googled around and the earliest references I can find to Kline’s remarks are articles in the L.A. Times and the Daily Telegraph dated May 27th. The Telegraph’s passage on Kline refers to a report in the New York Times, but a search on the NYT website for kline+haditha returns only two hits, one of them an article dated May 26th. Which, obviously, fails to prove that Kelly was briefing people before Hagee started to do so on the 24th.

It was a nice try, though.

murtha.jpg

Comments

Hey Rep. Kline … no sweat. It’s not like premature words like yours and Murthas may have caused some nutjob muslims to go and kidnap two U.S. soldiers and torture and behead them. Oh wait ….

darwin on August 15, 2006 at 5:02 PM

Sorry, it’s a bit too late. I don’t buy his “apology”. He should have kept his trap shut in the first place. Why are those in the military not given the benefit of the doubt? Why are they always guilty until proven otherwise? I don’t understand people like Kline and Murtha—what else is there to say?

Catie96706 on August 15, 2006 at 5:30 PM

Just caught myself writing “Murtha, on the other hand, is standing his ground,” then realized how strange that sounded.

bdfaith on August 15, 2006 at 5:37 PM

Catie,

it is because politics are the priority rather than winning the war. Murtha and Kline, both being former military should know better but alas, politics takes over…

They both seem to forget where they come from…how disapointing!

robo on August 15, 2006 at 5:40 PM

Robo, so true and it sure is sad.

Catie96706 on August 15, 2006 at 6:20 PM

Allah, thank you so much for re-posting this Murtha picture. This, and the one with Mrs. Clinton under the laurel-wreath, you can post once a week. I never tire of them.

Entelechy on August 15, 2006 at 6:52 PM

I wish you hadn’t mentioned the Murtha picture. I went back and looked at it.

My first impression: so this is what a sock puppet looks like?

Then I realized the correct phrase was ‘sock monkey’.

PS it is very hard to find a decent sock monkey picture on the web so I had to use the link above. I hope it is ok. But I know them when I see them

entagor on August 15, 2006 at 7:13 PM

Wuterich had threatened to sue Kline as well. But Zaid said yesterday that Kline responded to a settlement request within an hour of its arrival Aug. 4. Kline wrote that news outlets used incomplete statements that gave the false impression that he had concluded the Marines broke the law.

If Wuterich is satisfied then so am I.

DannoJyd on August 15, 2006 at 8:09 PM