Video: Ahmadinejad on 60 Minutes

posted at 10:06 pm on August 13, 2006 by Allahpundit

It killed me to cut the part where Mike Wallace told him how good he looked. Fair use, as I’ve often said, is a stern mistress.

I also deliberately cut the part that’s available in the sidebar at CBS (see update below). Watch that first — the stuff about “cultural exchage” and living side by side in peace with other nations is precious — then come back, open a beer and take a drink whenever he repeats a left-wing talking point. When he mentions the 45 million Americans without health care, read this and finish the bottle.

My favorite moment comes when he accuses Bush of exploiting a monopoly on energy resources to threaten other nations.

The clip is heavily edited, so please don’t assume that Mike Wallace didn’t ask a sufficiently hard-hitting follow-up question just because you don’t see it here. It may be that I had to cut it.

Previous posts for the benefit of new visitors: “Mahdi” takes the stage at a Nuremberg rally, wonders if Jews really are homo sapiens, and holds hands with his girlfriend in Tehran. Oh, and John Kerry expresses a desire to kill him here.

If that’s not pathetic enough, Zoli Erdos caught Ahmadinejad’s tech people trying to rig the poll results on his new blog. Old habits die hard, it seems.

Footnote: there were only two segments on 60 Minutes tonight. They opened with this nut, then came a rerun of Morley Safer’s piece … on Stephen Colbert. I guess if you’re expecting a big anti-Bush crowd for the first half of the show, you might as well give them a reason to stick around.

Update: Whoops. Looks like CBS has added lots more video since I went there earlier. The only segment that was posted before was “Iran’s Pres. on Bush, Nukes.” The entire interview is available there now.

If you want to watch it as it aired, watch the segments in the following order:

Iran’s Leader Backs Hezbollah
Iran’s Pres. on Nukes, Israel
Iran’s Pres. on Bush, Nukes
Ahmadinejad’s Message for Bush
Can Iran & U.S. Renew Ties?

The last clip is the one where Wallace tells him how fine he’s lookin’.

Update: On second thought, after watching the last two clips on their website, I can’t find that bit anywhere. I think they took it out. Embarrassment?

Update: One thing Wallace didn’t ask him: whether he considers himself democratically elected given Iran’s sham election system.

Update: The full, unedited interview will air on C-SPAN tomorrow night at 8. I’ll be taping that too. Can’t wait to see what didn’t make the final cut.

Comments

That dirt bag is disgusting but he fits in well with those CBS dolts.

rplat on August 13, 2006 at 10:09 PM

He’s sad that “the people of Iraq are being killed”. Uh huh. “We are opposed to oppression.” Sorry psycho, I’m not buying that load of crap either, especially coming from the figurehead leader of one of the most oppressive nations on earth.

As an aside, does he shop for his clothes at Land’s End?

Bellicose Muse on August 13, 2006 at 10:12 PM

“We oppose oppression.” This coming from the figurehead leader of one of the most oppressive nations on earth. In unrelated news, Ahmadinejad appears to shop Land’s End for his clothing.

Bellicose Muse on August 13, 2006 at 10:14 PM

What is with the voice over?
Why wasn’t he assassinated during this? That would be the only reason to do such an interview…

noodlehead on August 13, 2006 at 10:28 PM

Thanks for the link, it won’t be on here in HI for another hour and a few minutes. This reminds me so much of the “interview” with they Ayatollah some odd years ago when I was a kid. What should one expect from CBS? Tiffany network indeed.

Catie96706 on August 13, 2006 at 10:43 PM

It killed me to cut the part where Mike Wallace told him how good he looked.

Not only did he tell him he was good looking, he repeatedly insisted, reassuring poor Hitler2000 that we was the man.

RightWinged on August 13, 2006 at 11:03 PM

To provide All’mad‘in’jihad the vehicle to spew his propadanda is just appalling! To extend First Amendment Rights to a madman and a country who execute protestors and hold their citizenry in bondage is plain immoral.

Mike Wall’ass and SeeBS have bent over and let All’mad’in’jihad had it.

Our neighborhood whores have more morals than Mike Wall’ass and SeeBS!

TrueKatipunero on August 13, 2006 at 11:31 PM

Sorry for the double post above. Sometimes I hit “Submit Comment” and nothing happens for minutes on end. This time I posted a second time and hit a double.

I question the timing of my double post.

Bellicose Muse on August 14, 2006 at 1:44 AM

CBS, I’m finally there!

And dog-gonnet people love me. They really love me.

Kini on August 14, 2006 at 4:22 AM

I listened to Hannity interview Mike Wallace. Pathetic. The man would not or could not see what was right in front of his eyes. He’d deny that Ahmadinejad is an anti-Semite even as the knife was at his throat.

Ellen on August 14, 2006 at 4:55 AM

AP, are you thinking of updating the clip or posting a 2nd clip with any material CBS has cut from their website?

RD on August 14, 2006 at 8:35 AM

I felt like I had been personally defiled as I was watching this. It was very difficult to watch.

pullingmyhairout on August 14, 2006 at 9:34 AM

I watched the interview last night and he definetly struck me as a snake in the grass putting on a full court charm offensive. Unfortunately I kind of zoned out after I heard Mike Wallace phrase a question using “the so called Free World”. Well hell Mike what would you call it? Just unbelievable.
So called Free World?!?

LakeRuins on August 14, 2006 at 9:36 AM

This guy is a good barometer to read the mindset of the Iranians that elected him. But, I still don’t know what the hell they want from us. This guy seems to simply be a malcontent and just another Iranian looser that won the votes of others just like him.

Where are all the Iranian citizens that are sick of the religious government that we hear so much about? I know there are some smart people there that have no desire to climb on his bandwagon, so where are they?

Shmo on August 14, 2006 at 9:49 AM

How can CBS top this exclusive?

I know. Maybe Perky Katie will interview Kim Jong Ill her first night on the air, and tell us he’s really an outgoing, fun guy to hang with – not ronery at all.

Oh, wait … I think Madeleine Albright already said that … or was it Jimmy Carter?

And the lefties want to be back in charge? God help us.

fogw on August 14, 2006 at 9:52 AM

The big question is whether this guy is nuts-nuts or dangerous-smart nuts. If the first, then he’ll get and launch his nukes. If the second, he’ll get his nukes and hide under their protection while he pursues the real business: gradually, and maybe not so gradually, acquiring control of all the mid-east oil reserves. That accomplished, he can stop the Great Satan dead without firing a shot.
And we would do……….what? Start a nuclear war?
Folks, don’t underestimate this P.O.S.

dhimwit on August 14, 2006 at 9:55 AM

I watched the interview and I was waiting for Mike Wallace to give him a kiss on the lips with his tongue probing Ahmadinejad’s throat!

This man is exceedingly dangerous to the world and yet Mike only tossed him softball questions and engaged in a little dictator worship.

Umnumzana on August 14, 2006 at 1:17 PM

The upside – this will be Mike Wallace’s legacy :) Schadenfreude!

Entelechy on August 14, 2006 at 1:27 PM