Ahmadinejad starts his own blog (Update: Fake?)

posted at 12:40 pm on August 13, 2006 by Allahpundit

Believe it. Al-Reuters has already written it up.

He was even thoughtful enough to provide an English translation. Click the little American/English flag icon on the right and you’ll see.

There’s an e-mail box where you can send him a message. Annnnnd … comments appear to be enabled.

I trust Hot Air’s readers will use that information judiciously.

Update: The first, er, “post” opens this way:

Oh Almighty God, please, we beg you to send us our Guardian- who You have promised us- soon

Note the poll, too.

Update: Meanwhile:

Iranian authorities are stepping up arrests and pressure on popular bloggers as part of a wider Internet clampdown launched after hard-liner Mahmoud Ahmadinejad became president last year, ending years of freewheeling Web access that once made Iran among the most vibrant online locales in the Middle East…

Thousands of Web sites have been blocked, including anti-regime groups from Iranians abroad and news outlets such as the British Broadcasting Corp.’s Persian Service and the Voice of America. But it remains a spotty assault. Sites such as the Israeli newspaper The Jerusalem Post and California-based regimechangeiran.com remain accessible. (The Associated Press site also was not blocked as of early August.)

Update: No doubt Mike Wallace has already added it to his RSS folder.

Update: Reader Niko K. ran a search of the domain name at Iran’s NIC page and got this:

Domain Name: ahmadinejad.ir
Legal Holder: Mahdi Ahmadi Nejad
Postal address:
Motahari Ave. at Raham St.
Tehran, IR

Phone number: 64451
Fax number:
email: president.irsite@gmail.com

Technical Handle: nic38790h87
Name: Mahdi Ahmadi Nejad
email: president.irsite@gmail.com

Niko notes that he’s using a Gmail address, which seems somehow unlikely, and that Iranians typically translate his name from Farsi to English as “Ahmadi-Nezad” with a “z”. Is the site a fake?

I don’t know what to make of the fact that whoever owns the domain has been squatting on it since November 2004, either. Ahmadinejad was mayor of Tehran at that time; he wasn’t “elected” president until August of last year.

But the real eyebrow-archer is to whom it’s registered. “Mahdi” Ahmadi Nejad? I did a quick Google search — and found that he has, indeed, been referred to in the past in news accounts as “Mahdi.”

Quite a nickname he’s got for himself there.

Comments

The scary thing
He seems more sane in the blog then some of the schmucks at DU and Kos

Defector01 on August 13, 2006 at 12:51 PM

The poll question:

Do you think that the US and Israeli intention and goal by attacking Lebanon is pulling the trigger for another word war?

Even leaving aside the false premise, he seems to be sick of diplomacy too.

RW_theoriginal on August 13, 2006 at 12:56 PM

Hmmmmm … I’m actually not quite sure what to make of this. Is it an attempt to have an obviously unstable leader come across as more approachable? More human? More likeable? There’s definitely an ulterior motive behind it.

darwin on August 13, 2006 at 1:10 PM

Doesn’t work well with Safari. I can get it open, the header shows the picture of him, but nothing works when I click on it and there’s no text (in any language) shwing for me.

Any Mac users out there getting it to work?

~V5

V5 on August 13, 2006 at 1:15 PM

V5-
Use Firefox. Works like a charm.
Allah, here’s an obscure question: is it legal for us non-State Dept. citizens to make comments or get in discussions with the a head of state of a foreign country on his blog?

harrison on August 13, 2006 at 2:02 PM

I checked it out, voted in the poll. But, if you’re sane you wouldn’t leave any personal information on this site…hmmm, should I have even voted?
Ahmadinejad reminds me so much of Jeffrey Dahlmer, the serial killer…scary.
Firefox got straight through.

sharinlite on August 13, 2006 at 2:06 PM

Will he have his own Kos diary or spot on the HuffToast?

Can’t wait to see his compromising photos of Mikey Wallace showing off his Depends line.

JammieWearingFool on August 13, 2006 at 2:15 PM

I could not access the site. This is what I got…

Server is too busy:
Service Unavailable

DannoJyd on August 13, 2006 at 2:45 PM

Once again Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad calls for the destruction of Israel.

If you are confused as to which side is moral and which side is immoral in the Israeli-Islamic conflict, let Ahmadinejad’s evil designs set the record straight.

Israel does not want the destruction of any state, people, or religion.

However, militant Islamic states and their proxies do want the destruction of the state, people, and religion of the Jews.

It does not get any more simple or clearer than that.

ldspatriot on August 13, 2006 at 2:46 PM

I can’t wait to see what al Sadr’s MySpace page looks like.

Number 2 on August 13, 2006 at 2:52 PM

This is so bizarre as to be surreal. I honestly am having a difficult time believing this is a real instead of a scrappleface. I keep expecting someone to pop up and say “GOTCHA”.
“Mahdi”..I keep having fleeting thoughts of waking up on the morning of Aug 22nd, EST and finding out the other side of the World has a couple of mushroom clouds forming. Please God, let this be speculation and gossip..not reality.

labwrs on August 13, 2006 at 3:20 PM

I will continue this topic later on as it took long in the beginning. From now onwards, I will try to make it shorter and simpler.

With hope in God, I intend to wholeheartedly complete my talk in future with allotted fifteen minutes.

I see he’s familiar with Andy Warhol. In the future, shorter and simpler? Hmm. I bet it looks something like this:

Israel must be destroyed. Nuke the zionists! Oh, I am not stinky person like news leak said.

Bellicose Muse on August 13, 2006 at 3:20 PM

But might he have known he was going to be President? I imagine that some bearded people with turbans probably knew which way they were going to go what the outcome of the election would be. Maybe he just couldn’t wait to get started.

Pablo on August 13, 2006 at 3:21 PM

“Mahdi”..redeemer of Islam. I am in fear that on the morning of Aug 22nd we in the EST zone wake to find mushroom clouds forming over the Middle East that we used to know as Israel and Iran.
Are we SURE this isnt scrappleface? It is so real as to be surreal at this point.

labwrs on August 13, 2006 at 3:24 PM

The web host http://www.ahmadinejad.ir resolves to IP 217.218.165.150.

It’s hosted in … Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

A counter-check of http://www.president.ir shows that one is hosted in … Iran.

Bonus: A look at the HTML-code of Mr President’s blog shows it was made with with Photoshop and MS Visual Studio. No kidding.

Niko on August 13, 2006 at 3:25 PM

Here’s what I sent:

“So Mr. President which do you prefer, goats or little boys?”

Khyber Pass on August 13, 2006 at 4:40 PM

Ahmadinejad reminds me so much of Jeffrey Dahlmer, the serial killer…scary.

sharinlite on August 13, 2006 at 2:06 PM

Yeah,but Dahlmer ate his victims–yeah thats the only difference,i guess-

lizzee on August 13, 2006 at 7:06 PM

Is anyone seeing this guy on with Mike Wallace? I flipped the channel to CBS by mistake and when I saw the new couple I figured I’d watch a few minutes before throwing up… Boy did I pick the wrong few minutes to watch. Wallace repeatedly reassured A-hole-madinejad how good looking he was.

RightWinged on August 13, 2006 at 7:44 PM

AHMADINEJAD BLOG: AH-MAD Magazine.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 13, 2006 at 7:48 PM

Wait, how can anyone think this is fake? I mean, Reuters reported on it…. oh wait

RightWinged on August 13, 2006 at 9:37 PM