Video: Brian Williams’ liberal math

posted at 1:37 am on August 11, 2006 by Ian

Oops, he did it again. NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams, reporting from London’s Heathrow Airport, likens jihadi suicide bombers to–well, let’s let him speak for himself:

CHRIS MATTHEWS, HOST: But, here we have maybe 24 people who have lived in London and England and the free world for all these years that become citizens, subjects of the Crown, and yet, after having gotten to know us, they want to kill themselves to hurt us. Isn’t that an even deeper conundrum here than the chemicals being used in these attacks.

BRIAN WILLIAMS: And that, Chris, that last aspect, the willingness to take one’s own life. I always tell people there are guys on our team like that, too. They’re called Army Rangers and Navy Seals and the Special Forces folks and the first responders on 9/11 who went into those buildings knowing, by the way, they weren’t going to come out. So we have players like that on our team.

Last year, Brian Williams compared our founding fathers to terrorists:

It is a story that will be at or near the top of our broadcast and certainly made for a robust debate in our afternoon editorial meeting, when several of us raised the point (I’ll leave it to others to decide germaneness) that several U.S. presidents were at minimum revolutionaries, and probably were considered terrorists of their time by the Crown in England.

Glad to know he thinks so highly of our brave men and women in uniform and our Founding Fathers.

doesntaddup.jpg
(image courtesy of IMAO)

Update (AP): Jim Treacher was thoughtful enough to forward me the e-mail he sent to NBC News. Here it is in its entirety:

From: Jimtreacher -at- aol.com
To: Nightly@NBC.com
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:44:38 EDT
Subject: You actually compared firefighters and Special Forces to suicide bombers?
Don’t you think that’s really extra-stupid? If not, why not?

Jim

Comments

When will one of the network news divisions figure out hat having a liberal centered newscast costs them viewers bigtime.

Clark1 on August 11, 2006 at 1:52 AM

Someone should explain to this man the difference between “the willingness to take one’s own life”, and service that could lead to the ultimate sacrifice. The difference may seem subtle, but it is the difference between a hero, and a suicidal madman. At least, that’s my opinion…

THeDRiFTeR on August 11, 2006 at 2:14 AM

Amen THeDRiFTeR

Catie96706 on August 11, 2006 at 2:15 AM

Yes, the willingness to die while saving the good versus the willingness to die while destroying all that is good.

bbz123 on August 11, 2006 at 2:32 AM

He says …

“… like the first responders on 9/11, who went into those buildings, knowing by the way that they weren’t going to come out …”

I must have missed a memo somewhere along the line. Did anyone else see anything back in 2001 that led you to believe the rescuers on 9/11 knew they would not be coming out?

SirGregor on August 11, 2006 at 2:56 AM

With credit to Gen Patton, Army Rangers and Navy Seals and the Special Forces folks don’t want to kill themselves they just make the other sob die for their cause.

im4eagles on August 11, 2006 at 3:48 AM

What an ass.

First of all, the obvious… He just compared Army Rangers, Navy Seals, Special Forces, and 9/11 First responders to terrorists. No spinning on this one, that’s what he did.

Not that anyone here is stupid enough to need this explanation, but here it is anyway… The members of “our” team that he lists don’t commit suicide in an effort to kill innocent people. Even if you were to give moral equivelency to terrorist and say that none of us are innocent civilians, our guys don’t pyschotically go out to kill themselves to accomplish their mission. Are they willing to die doing what they believe is right? Yes, but they aren’t hoping too.

As for the 9/11 first responders specifically… What an idiot you are Williams. Do you actually believe they went in knowing they wouldn’t come out? For what purpose? They were going in to get people out… if they didn’t come out, neither did the civilians. Are you saying that these first responders didn’t feel like they had a right to live while others died so they just joined the death party?

But don’t question his patriotism.

That about sums it up Ian. Nice catch.

RightWinged on August 11, 2006 at 3:58 AM

…I always tell people there are guys like that on our team, too…

With analogic reasoning skills like that, wonder how this genius scored on his SAT analogies section, let alone something challenging like Miller’s.

RD on August 11, 2006 at 4:17 AM

This just makes me sick! And to think these idiots are PAID to spew this BS!

gary on August 11, 2006 at 5:34 AM

I am sitting here open-mouthed in shock at what I just heard! Of course, I never would have seen it without HOTAIR.COM because I NEVER watch Brian Williams. From the day he took over, he has worn his liberal stripes proudly.

Where is the outrage???

Where is the all-out boycott of NBC and their affiliate networks?

LonelyMassRepublican on August 11, 2006 at 6:09 AM

Take Lifes is equal to trying to SAVE Lifes?
PATHETIC! But he wont get called out except here and the blogosphere.

labwrs on August 11, 2006 at 6:16 AM

These Muslims will never be a part of us. Islam is a form of government and should not be afforded the rights or designation of a religion.
It’s like the first church of nazism.
Matthews and Williams just don’t get it and never will.
They are not patriotic or pro America.
They are muslim propagandists.

LZVandy on August 11, 2006 at 6:32 AM

Hotair needs to send this out FAR AND WIDE. I am sure the New York Fire Department would like ro ask Brian about his comments. As would the members and vets of the U.S. military (so we support the troops?).

gary on August 11, 2006 at 6:46 AM

Sure, the willingness to die for what you believe in for is the same. But what liberals are scared sh*tless shaking in their boots about is having to discuss the actual difference in what people believe in.

WE believe that human life is something sacred that needs protecting.

THEY don’t.

Liberals can’t entertain that sort of discussion for one second though. In their tiny warped little world all people are the same everywhere. No one set of ideals are any better than any others and to even entertain that idea is to somehow “bias” yourself.

It’s like calling attention to the fact that a 2006 Hummer exists, and a 1978 Volkswagon Beetle exists – but doing everything humanly possible to avoid mentioning the fact that one is a far better automobile than the other.

Sure – there is that 1 in 1,000 times that you’d want to drive the Beetle rather than the Hummer – of course nothings impossible; and that’s all the time in the world a liberal needs for something to be called equal in their eyes.

venmax on August 11, 2006 at 6:53 AM

What do you expect from an air head newsreader? After about an hour yesterday I stopped watching all TV reporting on this terrorist plot. I wanted to hear what happened, not what the reporters and pundits thought about it.

I am for term limits for politicians and now I am for time outs for news readers/reporters and pundits. I favor the 1/1 plan. For every one month in front of the camera newsreaders/reporters, and pundits have to spend one month behind the camera doing what ever.

redjeep on August 11, 2006 at 7:32 AM

Gary, I hear you and just Dugg it.

DannoJyd on August 11, 2006 at 7:49 AM

if Williams compared you to a terrorist, let him (or at least his show) know what you think about it Nightly@NBC.com

RightWinged on August 11, 2006 at 8:03 AM

Well said Rightwinged.

I guess I should be surprised, but………..

Hearing Matthews spout inane invective is nothing new, but seeing an anchor for a network news organization unable to differentiate between someone wishing to purposely die and kill others and someone wishing to stop them and live to do it another day is pure stupidity.

Interesting thing I noticed last night though. Flipping through the MSM channels to get their take on things there were many, many folks finally admitting that profiling may be one of the most effective measures to increase airline security.

Anyone else notice this?

BacaDog on August 11, 2006 at 8:05 AM

Friggin’ Tool!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on August 11, 2006 at 8:20 AM

You know spec ops folks celebrate birthdays. Hey, wait a minute. Muslim radicals ALSO celebrate birthdays. I guess we all are really alike after all.

There was a time when a dolt like Williams would have be summarily fired and publicly disgraced for his asinine comments. So let me get this right, a psychotic mass murderer is the same as a green beret. Welcome to the bizarro post logic world.

Mojave Mark on August 11, 2006 at 8:39 AM

Maybe Cadet Happy should update that image.

In Williams’s defense, I guess he was trying to praise our people. Still, to associate them with terrorists on any level shows a messed up mind.

frankj on August 11, 2006 at 8:41 AM

I would love to see a video of him making that same comparison in the middle of Ft. Bragg, or meeting with a bunch of the New york Cities Finest and Bravest… Matthews would have a hard time hearing him clearly with the “Boom Mike” planted firmly up his rectom!!!!!

havok on August 11, 2006 at 8:51 AM

Typical leftist moral relativism.

right ascension on August 11, 2006 at 9:14 AM

Trouble is that this JERK is on the Firefighters Medal of Honor Committee, but I don’t know if it’s for NYC or Conn where he lives.

Regardless, if anyone knows perhaps they could forward this clip to someone in authority or maybe Leiberman should use it in his bid for re-election!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on August 11, 2006 at 9:17 AM

I emialed NBC for an explanation. But we need more HEAT

Here’s their email address. nightly@nbc.com

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on August 11, 2006 at 9:24 AM

One thing I know for sure, if I see an EMT, Army Ranger, Marine, or any other First Responder rushing into a building it is probably with the intention of saving lives, and to bring aid and comfort to those inside. If you see somebody from “the other team” rushing into a building it is a safe bet nobody will be saved and nobody is going to come out alive.
To compare our elite forces to kamikaze pilots or homicidal Islamic jihadists is just beyond comprehension.
This stupid SOB needs to get a clue.

LakeRuins on August 11, 2006 at 9:25 AM

I’m flabbergasted. I am living in a world gone mad.

Ellen on August 11, 2006 at 9:25 AM

Shame on him. Shame on NBC. I am sending an email to NBC right now.

mkstach on August 11, 2006 at 9:47 AM

NEWSFLASH BRIAN: This is NOT a college football game, and to treat it like it’s some sort of game where both sides willingly and sportingly play, trivializes the deaths of the 3000 who died on 9-11, the firefighters who tried to save them, and all our brave men and women who have fought and DIED so valiantly in this war against islamic fascism.

pullingmyhairout on August 11, 2006 at 9:48 AM

Anyone else notice this?

Yes, I noticed. I thought it was pretty humorous, actually. Finally, some sense has been beaten into these people.

xoxo

pullingmyhairout on August 11, 2006 at 9:55 AM

pullingmyhairout do you still have any hair left at this point or is it being pulled out one strand at a time?

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on August 11, 2006 at 9:56 AM

So we have players like that on our team.

Excuse me here Brian, but you just insulted the folks on ‘our team’ in the worst way imaginable.

Whose ‘team’ are you really on?

speed647 on August 11, 2006 at 10:03 AM

I’m slowly but surely balding. it’s a bad look for a housewife, i can assure you. It sure does hurt… maybe one day i’ll be vindicated and it’ll start to grow back in…maybe…

pullingmyhairout on August 11, 2006 at 10:12 AM

“The men (sons of liberty)boarded the ships and began destroying the cargo. By 9pm they had opened 342 crates of tea in all three ships and had thrown them into Boston Harbor. They took off their shoes, swept the decks, and made each ship’s first mate agree to say that the Sons of Liberty had destroyed only the tea. The whole event was remarkably quiet and peaceful. The next day, they sent someone around to fix the one padlock they had broken.”

I don’t think the terrorist would send someone to fix the WTC and you can’t fix a beheaded person. Yeah I’d say there’s a huge difference between our Founding Fathers and terrorist.

My nephew is in the Army and I’m enraged Brian Williams would relate him to a terrorist and that William lives under the protection of my Nephew’s service!

Drtuddle on August 11, 2006 at 10:35 AM

News Anchors = Useful Idiots

I want to thank Brian Williams for the “comparison game.”

moonsbreath on August 11, 2006 at 10:39 AM

But don’t question his patriotism!

Piss up a rope, Williams, you dolt.

BirdEye on August 11, 2006 at 10:47 AM

As a former cop, member of SWAT/first responder, and as a former soldier, now disabled veteran I am totally disgusted with Brian Williams.

While I would gladly lay down my life in defense of members of my team, my country, and innocent people, I would never blow myself up/commit suicide while trying to inflict harm on innocent people.

I’m writing a letter to NBC to let them know just how disgusted and pissed off I am with Brian Williams. Hopefully other veterans and ffirst responders will join me.

~V5

V5 on August 11, 2006 at 10:54 AM

Brian Williams is definitely a useful idiot for the islamofacsists.

The primary mission of the Navy Seal, Army Ranger, Marine or whoever else is there, is to make as many of the OTHER side give their lives for their country or ideal. NOT to be suicidal maniacs. And for that jackass to compare those who serve honorably and try to avoid killing innocents to the animals who attempt as much innocent death as possible, sickens me.

webproze on August 11, 2006 at 10:55 AM

Thought I’d share my note sent off to Nightly News ……

I have a son who is a Navy Seal. He is a real man, Williams, who, when he is not serving in combat, spends every waking minute training to protect us and even protect creeps like you. Your comparing him to a terrorist makes my blood boil. If you had any idea how committed these fine young men are to serving their country, you would never make such an ignorant statement. Comfy there in your anchor seat Brian?

I’d like to see you make such an accusation directly to any Navy Seal, and then suffer the pounding you deserve. Our young men are fighting and dying for a just cause. They are not strapping on bombs, walking into a crowd of innocent civilians and blowing themselves up. They don’t hijack planes and fly them into skyscrapers. They don’t kidnap civilians and lop their heads off in front of a camera for all the world to see.

You have one f***ed-up mind.

NBC should fire you.

Oh, and by the way, I am not a viewer of your biased news program. I stopped watching NBC news over 20 years ago. I was fortunate to have a blog site bring your stupefying comments to my attention.

Now sit back and contemplate what a jackass you are, and watch NBC Nightly News ratings continue to plummet.

fogw on August 11, 2006 at 11:05 AM

Insane, absolutely insane. I am just shocked that he would actually say this on TV. How dare he compare NS, AR, SF to terrorists. They are not the same!!! We don’t blow ourselves up killing as many people as possible. Pisses me off.

StephC on August 11, 2006 at 11:09 AM

There are two possible ways that Williams might’ve intended his moral equivalency statement to have been interpreted, and they’re both disgusting:

1. He might’ve been trying to talk-up the terrorists to the same level as our own special forces; or

2. He might’ve been trying to imply that our own special forces are no different really than the terrorists.

Either way, this is what you start talking like when you have a substandard cranial capacity coupled with no moral center. But boy, does he have a head of hair! Split his skull open, and no doubt you’d find vast reserves of luxurious, thick locks in there … and nothing else.

Spurius Ligustinus on August 11, 2006 at 11:12 AM

…I always tell people there are guys like that on our team, too…

The key lie of the whole piece. “OUR team”… that must mean that the Islamic Extremists have Rangers, Seals, and Fire fighters, because thats whose team he is on…

Romeo13 on August 11, 2006 at 11:19 AM

OH, MY GOSH!!!

NRA4Freedom on August 11, 2006 at 11:20 AM

Wow. So, “blow yourself on purpose in order to kill as many innocent people as possible” = “maybe sacrifice your own life in order to save as many others as you can,” huh?

Useful idiot, indeed. In a sane world, that’s the kind of anti-American crap that oughta’ cost you your job, at bare minimum. In today’s world, however, good ol’ nonpartisan Brian and Chris will probably get raises and promotions for being so NBCourageous ™. Un-mf’n-believable.

Blacksheep on August 11, 2006 at 11:22 AM

Sent a quick E-Mail off to mailto:nightly@nbc.com. Probably not as eloquent as others may have sent but voiced my opinion none the less.

“It is beyond belief that you have a correspondent who actually compares our special forces to terrorists…but then to take it a step further and compare the terrorists to our heroic first responders on 9/11 is absolutely reprehensible. The firefighters and police were not there to take innocent lives…THEY WERE THERE TO SAVE LIVES!!!!!!!! Is it any wonder that MSNBC is at the bottom of the ratings….you all should be ashamed.”

Just once I would love to read how some asshat like Williams, Ted Rall, Ward Churchill or other like minded idiot would be confronted by some of our finest.

EEprom on August 11, 2006 at 12:04 PM

Having been a Marine (Vietnam), a police officer and one of the first EMT’s in this country; I can say from first hand experience that when going into any life threatening situation, most people in these occupations feel fear and anxiety at what could happen. Then training, experience and a sense of duty kicks in and the people involved set aside their fears and anxieties and just get the job done. There is absolutely no sense of heroics or wanting to lose our lives. We feel an obligation and sense of duty to protect those around us and those who may be in danger. I must add that in most cases, immediately after such a life threatening experience, most of these people again go through fear and anxiety knowing what could have happened. I have never known one of them who wanted to die when doing their duty, they simply overcome the fear and willingly took the necessary risks. I have on several occasions been severely injured in the line of duty, nearly losing my own life; but not once did I want to be injured, die or play hero; and in every circumstance I had to overcome a very strong sense of self preservation and place my self in a life threatening situation because of an overwhelming sense of duty.

If a fellow soldier or emergency services person doesn’t care about their own life, they are a positive danger to everyone involved, to those serving with them and those needing to be rescued.

The IslamoFascist terrorist desires their own death and quite often the death of innocent people in order to gain glory and a special martyr’s rewards. So, they have a desire to commit suicide for what they believe is a greater cause and they believe they should murder others to accomplish their goals.

Brian Williams, Matthews and far too many liberals are incapable of understanding the differences between these two categories of human beings. This leftist ideal of moral equivalency makes me sick!

Please note I mentioned my background solely to point out the errors in Brian Williams thinking, not to gain any attention for myself.

Umnumzana on August 11, 2006 at 12:15 PM

Ok, this was just too much. I took the advice posted here and emailed them:

Subject: Our Military Members are Terrorists?
To: Nightly@NBC.com

Amazing.

BRIAN WILLIAMS: And that, Chris, that last aspect, the
willingness to take one’s own life. I always tell
people there are guys on our team like that, too.
They’re called Army Rangers and Navy Seals and the
Special Forces folks and the first responders on 9/11
who went into those buildings knowing, by the way,
they weren’t going to come out. So we have players
like that on our team.

Having served for over 10 years in the Army (the
majority in the Infantry) I can tell you emphatically
that there was never a ‘willingness’ for me or any
soldier that I served with to take our lives. We were
resolved that should it come to pass that we died it
would be worth the cause, but we never aspired to
bring that end to fruition. These terrorists are
NOTHING like us. These are people that INTEND to end
their lives and the lives of as many other innocents
as they possibly can, to even attempt to draw a moral
equivalence is beyond insulting, it borders on insane.

I will be forwarding your correspondents comments to
every service member I know to let them know exactly
how the people that represent your organization feel
about them and the SERVICE they provide for this
nation.

Grunt2Jag on August 11, 2006 at 12:20 PM

Here is what Williams is saying now:

For more of Williams’ deep thoughts go to:

Er, I guess that clears things up.

Rick on August 11, 2006 at 1:17 PM

Umnumzana, please send your post to the NBC e-mail address listed several times, above.

Petulant prima donna Williams is trying to ‘recover’.

Brian has posted to Daily Nightly blog to clear up his statements last night.

Comments I made during a live interview with Chris Matthews last night have been aggressively misunderstood in the hours since. Here was my point: people always say that our country will be at a disadvantage as long as the “other side” is willing to take their own life for the cause. I was making the point that if that’s some kind of litmus test for bravery… or belief in the cause, we have those guys, too. People who fight for us, people who protect us — know full well that the American cause is worth dying for — as are our freedoms. People are dying for the U.S. side every day. Laying their lives on the line. And I give thanks for them every day. I was not at all equating the “other” cause with what Americans stand for. I was criticizing the view, expressed by some, that as long as we are fighting the “suicide bomber mentality” we can never get the upper hand, because, as this belief goes, “we aren’t willing to give our lives the way they are.” Of course we are. The difference is: the folks willing to die for OUR country do so in the act of protecting and defending it — NOT killing civilians by detonating an explosive and killing innocent people.

I hope that clears it up.

Entelechy on August 11, 2006 at 1:21 PM

oops, forgot a button…Williams:

I hope that clears it up.

Entelechy on August 11, 2006 at 1:22 PM

Entelechy: Yes, I did send my comments directly to Comrade Williams.

His explanation still doesn’t wash with me, because he said these rescuers went in knowing they would not come out alive. That is suicide and if they go in knowing they will be killed they are cheating the people they might be able to rescue if they stay alive. That is their job – to save lives, and trying to take reasonable steps to stay alive to do that job is prerequisite!

Plus take that with his previous comments about comparing our Founding Father’s with terrorists gives lie to his recent comments; because he is trying to construct a moral equivalency which does not exist!

Umnumzana on August 11, 2006 at 1:49 PM

That’s why they call it NBC, Nothing But Crap.

Kini on August 11, 2006 at 2:06 PM

To be very clear – I don’t side with, or even watch, Williams, and only posted what he said, so we could have more fun with him and his ilk and what the meaning of anything ‘is’.

Mr. preppy is so ‘clean’ and considers himself beyond reproach no matter what he says or does. I bet he never even let a f–t in private in order not to ruin his chances of taking over from Mr. Brokaw.

He wrote a convoluted explanation, which then he snootely ended with “I hope this clears it up” (for you simpletons).

Entelechy on August 11, 2006 at 2:30 PM

Calm down.

Brian Williams is not so much evil as he is stupid.

Here’s a man who makes a living, a darn good living, reading aloud what other people have written. That’s what he does. That’s it.

When he’s called upon to think on his feet, as here, his brain shoots out his a** and you get something like this.

He’s just dumb. Not as smart as the guy who reads your water meter.

Labamigo on August 11, 2006 at 2:36 PM

I don’t know if he’s dumb – don’t get me wrong, the guy is a jackass in my book – my point is that many, if not most, of the American liberal movement agree with his comments. It’s going back to the “moral equivalence” (or ambivelance) argument. To them, there is no difference between a murderer that slaughters a family and the cop that kills him in the process of capturing him (and follows the law in doing so); the suicide bomber and the military retaliation that follows (or better yet, see current Israeli crisis); and the list goes on. Consequently, they side against the government (especially Western democracies) because they should know better than to take advantage of the oppressed and downtrodden.

Rick on August 11, 2006 at 3:02 PM

All,

It took a while, but we got to the real point, namely that Williams is an idiot. The original transcript makes zero sense whatsoever. Even a liberal dipstick like Williams isn’t going to make a direct comparison of nutbomb Islamic terrorists to the cream of our crop; the question was “what the hell is this nimrod talking about?”

The answer, as usual: he has no idea.

Piling On…

Jaibones on August 11, 2006 at 3:20 PM

I am still ticked off. This has to eclipse anything Mel Gibson said as far as i am concerned.

gary on August 11, 2006 at 3:21 PM

gary,
Well, what was Brian Williams blood alcohol level at the time?

frankj on August 11, 2006 at 3:25 PM

I recieved e-mail in response to the mail I sent via Nightly@NBC.com , and it Exactly matches what is found at http://dailynightly.msnbc.com/ .

Maybe I’m a SOB, but the response does not impress me. Not one bit.

DannoJyd on August 11, 2006 at 3:40 PM

Ya know, at least Mel Gibson had the excuse of being drunk when he mispoke.

DannoJyd on August 11, 2006 at 3:42 PM

Brian Williams, what a dumb SOB.
He’s just another American MSM Islamofacist apologist!
Have you hugged your local jihadist this morning Brian?
Get a brain, or better yet, a life.

byteshredder on August 11, 2006 at 4:29 PM

[Labamigo] Calm down.

Excuse me?

Brian Williams is not so much evil as he is stupid.

No one’s saying he’s evil. He’s too ignorant or uninformed to understand the true nature of the enemy we are facing, and clearly too dumb to figure it out on his own.

I’m sure he honestly belived he was making a “supportive” comment about our guys. The outrage, if there is one, is the credit he gives to our enemy, in so utterly misunderstanding them and comparing them (in his mind) to our guys.

Remember also that NBC is a news organization, and thus has a responsibility (and the authority) to put a qualified anchor in the chair. A network anchor is a hell of a lot more than a scriptreader. Otherwise how would Dan Rather have become famous for his ad libs?

Pardon me, but that’s not it. I’m not blaming Brian Williams for his own stupidity; clearly he can’t exceed his own limitations, and never will. But NBC is definitely on the hook here… or do you disagree?

RD on August 11, 2006 at 4:47 PM