The Passion of the Toys II?

posted at 4:25 pm on August 11, 2006 by Allahpundit

Slublog tipped me to this. What do you think? Viewed from top to bottom, it looks like he’s staging a photo.

Viewed from bottom to top, it looks like he’s salvaging toys from the debris.

What would Green Helmet say?

One thing’s for sure: Sharif Karim sure is a sucker for lost plushies.

Update: Let it be noted that there are other photos on the wires of people salvaging toys. The caption for our mystery man suggests he is, too.

I think the Freepers blew this one.

Update: The toys are, however, notably clean.

Comments

Those plushies are too new anyway… Just how far is Beirut from Bahrain anyway? Inquiring minds, and all that ish…

Kid from Brooklyn on August 11, 2006 at 4:38 PM

Hard to say.

As an aside, I just want to say that I think it’s really weird that the doll is dressed in one photo, and undressed in another.

The guy’s either dressing or undressing dolls – you’ve got to admit. That’s just creepy. :-)

Slublog on August 11, 2006 at 4:42 PM

I don’t think it’s dressed in the top photo, I think he just wrapped the garment around it to put it in the suitcase.

Allahpundit on August 11, 2006 at 4:44 PM

Yeah, that’s what it looks like to me, too.

But dang it, when you’ve got the chance to take a cheap shot make a joke, you’ve got to take it.

Slublog on August 11, 2006 at 4:45 PM

The toys are very clean. Very clean for a dusty, bombed out area, IMO.

I guided bomb knocks down half a building and resting on top after all the dust settles is a Mickey doll…

Right.

Hoodlumman on August 11, 2006 at 4:52 PM

These clowns need to watch more Road Runner cartoons and take note of Wile E. Coyote to see what a cartoon character looks like when emerging from the rubble.

Neep Neep!!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on August 11, 2006 at 4:57 PM

OK. I yield that they’re salvaging things. Fine. But are these photographers laying these collected toys on top of rubble for a ‘heart wrenching’ shot? I think we can all conceed a ‘yes’ to that.

Staging photos… it’s what they do.

Hoodlumman on August 11, 2006 at 5:00 PM

My two cents on all of this is to look at it like a cop or a DA in a criminal case.

Be suspicious. Gather evidence. But unless you have enough to prove your case beyond a reasonable doubt, don’t try to push it.

Otherwise, well, we will probably end up looking silly in alot of case, and losing credibility.

EFG on August 11, 2006 at 5:15 PM

Remember the 9/11 scene? Dust all over, everything gray, people, papers, building materials et all. Looking at these pictures, there is no way toys, new or old, would be spared the ‘dusting’.

Which reminds me, in a very sweet way – how much dust might have been on Zarqawi after the blast? I don’t want to be mean and imagine photoshopping on that subject…thinking back, however, I don’t remember seeing toys of any kind.

Entelechy on August 11, 2006 at 5:15 PM

Of course that’s easy for me to say. I’m just some anonymous commenter. Hell, I don’t even have a blog.

EFG on August 11, 2006 at 5:17 PM

Sorry. It’s much more likely that the captions are lies to hide what they are really up to. Not to mention that it fits in line with the original purpose, which is to make people weep at the poor children for which the toys belong. None of these dolls have a speck of dust on them, which is utterly rediculous. And are you serious? People supposedly dying underneath mounds of rubble, and what do they do? They run around with boxes making sure all the little dolls are safe, and magically … they are all unharmed. But hey! All of Islam should take this as a sign. God protects all the toys but doesn’t have a problem allowing muslims to be crushed under falling concrete.

Guess God isn’t willing, huh?

SirGregor on August 11, 2006 at 5:19 PM

Entelechy, the thought of Zarqawi passing away, forced to look into the scowling countenance of some American soldier, with naery a cuddy teddy bear or mickey mouse doll to comfort him in his time of affliction…

Well, let’s just say I’m holding little CheChe right now as we both began sobbing for several minutes.

Damn it Entelechy, do you have any idea how tough it is to type this comment through a river of tears?

EFG on August 11, 2006 at 5:26 PM

On Tucker Carlson today, he exposed with photographs and videos how a 5-year-old child was rushed to a hospital and supposedly died because of Israeli bombing. Only problem was, this child died before the bombing when she feel from a swing set.

The point is: 1. Hezbollah uses images and the media as propaganda tools to demonstrate what they call the savagery of Israel. 2. Most of the MSM media accepts these lies as being the truth. 3. Israel is being viewed by most of the world as the aggressor in this crisis and Hezbollah as innocent victims.

A world turned upside down by the western media.

Umnumzana on August 11, 2006 at 5:37 PM

I’d like to hear Brian Williams spin on the toys.

Can you predict what he’d say?

Kini on August 11, 2006 at 5:40 PM

EFG, pull yourself together! I know it’s hard but your little-one needs her daddy :(

Coniurationem nascentem non credendo conroboraverunt :)

Entelechy on August 11, 2006 at 5:54 PM

This is a little off topic, but I just saw this on my Google News page, clicked on the picture, and saw the damning picture of a jet firing several flares[?] with the not so damning caption, “Israeli aircraft in Lebanon” Photo Reuters.

Didn’t it come out that it was photoshopped?

DannoJyd on August 11, 2006 at 6:01 PM

your little-one needs her daddy

Err, actually, I am a cross-dressing, trans-gendered, sex-changed hermaphrodite with a penchant for bi-sexual buggery and cross-dressing role-reversal role-playing.

So yes, I suppose part of me is a daddy.

GOOD DAY, Sir!

EFG on August 11, 2006 at 6:06 PM

Didn’t it come out that it was photoshopped?

DannoJyd on August 11, 2006 at 6:01 PM

Uh,…that’s what you call deja-vu. But we know it for what it really is.

A glitch in the matrix.

Run DannoJyd!!! Agents are coming your way!!! Get back to the Nebuchadnezzar!

EFG on August 11, 2006 at 6:10 PM

They’re a bit clean to be “salvaged from the debris” don’t you think?

BrunoMitchell on August 11, 2006 at 6:26 PM

They’re a bit clean to be “salvaged from the debris” don’t you think?

BrunoMitchell on August 11, 2006 at 6:26 PM

Yeah, they probably are.

Think of yourself like a cop, and the photographers are the crooks.

Yeah, you know they’re crooks, and they’re guilty of something, but actually proving it is the tough part.

EFG on August 11, 2006 at 6:32 PM

EFG, I know, it’s all the fault of the damned Eskimos, I mean Republicans. I really feel for you.

P.S. I’m a heterosexual female.

Entelechy on August 11, 2006 at 6:40 PM

[Allah] What do you think? Viewed from top to bottom, it looks like he’s staging a photo.

Ah, yeah. Methinks the photo’s been staged. At least where I was raised, the burden of proof is now on the [st]ringer to prove otherwise.

[Hoodlumman] The toys are very clean. Very clean for a dusty, bombed out area, IMO.

Yep. Looked like they’d never even been squeezed by a toddler. (“Of course! Don’t you see – they were lovingly picked up, dry-cleaned, then put right back where they were found before the photo was snapped…”)

[Entelechy] Having no talent/interst in photoshopping, as a total ignorant novice looking at these and the photographs you’ve featured in the past few days, what is most striking is the color contrast between the foreground ojbect, be it toy or person, and the overall pictures.

Aye! Eye-popping, tooth-jarring, COLOR. Almost comical. And all of the teddy pics have looked this way –

P.S. Are stuffed animals halal or haram?

RD on August 11, 2006 at 6:44 PM

cowards

gary on August 11, 2006 at 6:45 PM

Entelechy-

I’m a heterosexual male. Although that might been a little, you know, unclear, due to my above posting nonsense.

So rest assured. Your shameful little heterosexual secret is safe with me.

EFG on August 11, 2006 at 6:46 PM

EFG, I thought that picture was publicly debunked, then removed.

Deja vu indeed.

DannoJyd on August 11, 2006 at 7:03 PM

Entelechy: That ‘it is the fault of the damned Eskimos’ was a line spoken by Richard Widmark in Judgment at Nuremberg!

I know, I thought of using it myself!

Umnumzana on August 11, 2006 at 7:16 PM

EFG, nothing shameful and no secret :)

Umnumzana, that’s where I got it. I love the expression. What a movie and what actors. Those were the movies!
Btw, I have enjoyed your posts a lot. I know you didn’t tell us so I’d write this, but a big “Thank You” to you and your entire family for serving, se we can be foolish. Sincerely,

Entelechy on August 11, 2006 at 9:13 PM

In all of these Lebanese destruction photos I’ve seen, there are no recognizable objects that have survived, except the toys, and they are pristine.

The guy “collecting” the toys would kind of prove the point. Isn’t every other kind of belonging higher up in the salvagability hierarchy than a stuffed toy if those other objects had survived?

If you can believe the toys weren’t planted, you can believe most anything.

Perchant on August 11, 2006 at 9:41 PM

REALITY CHECK

Staged rallies, faux video, photo shopped pix, it really doesn’t make one damn bit of difference since, by and large, we are not the intended viewer.

These are meant to incite the weak minded among us and the Islamofascists intent on killing us and no matter what we say they are effective.

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on August 12, 2006 at 8:38 AM

if we had the time stamps on the digital photos, then we’d know in what order they were taken. I tend to agree with Dread – we are not the intended audience.

pullingmyhairout on August 12, 2006 at 10:02 AM

Dread Pirate Roberts and pullingmyhairout,

while it is true that most of us are not the intended audience, the fact that the media, especially the ‘esteemed’ ones like Reuters, NYT, AP, etc. get exposed for being much lesser than they portray/sell themselves to be is very, very powerful! Even in the islamist eyes/world. They already know they are cheating but this makes the MSM here and abroad equivalent to their ‘standards’.

That the exposing is not only helped, but in many cases identified and proven by the blogs, is superb!

Entelechy on August 12, 2006 at 7:48 PM