The four pillars of Reuters’s photo deception (Update: Rusty finds the ultimate deception?)

posted at 8:49 pm on August 8, 2006 by Allahpundit

Zombie explains it all to you.

I can honestly say, in my two-plus years of blogging, this was the first time I’ve been inundated with tips on a particular topic faster than I could post them. Amazing.

Will Allah get the Fox News studio invite tomorrow?

Which he’ll instantly and irrevocably turn down?

Stay tuned!

I’m reliably informed that the boss has a media meltdown extravaganza in the works. Keep your eye on her blog. Er, her other blog, I mean.

Update: As promised.

Update: “You furnish the pictures and I’ll furnish the war.”

Update: I refuse to believe this is true. Not because the evidence isn’t credible. Just because I can’t quite bring myself to accept that the duplicity might run that deep.

Hajj was a stringer for them since 1993. Could he really have faked them out for 13 years?

Update: Rusty notes:

While I found a fairly large Google trace of Adnan Hajj when I first began to investigate him, there is no Google trace of Issam Kobeisi/Kobeisy before mid July of this year.

Maybe Kobeisi is/was Hajj’s apprentice. Young guy, traveled around with him learning the tricks of the trade with him. Which would explain why they’re always in the same place.

Update: Kate addresses the media:

The vast majority of these questioned images have not been uncovered by “bloggers”. We’re only cataloging and distributing them. The real footwork is being done by our readers – more specifically, the average media consumer.

This is not good news for your industry.

Comments

Guilty.

JammieWearingFool on August 8, 2006 at 8:52 PM

You’re doing a great job Allah! Keep up the good work.

Centurion68 on August 8, 2006 at 9:13 PM

Little Green Helmets. Anybody own that domain?

Coronagold on August 8, 2006 at 9:21 PM

Digitally manipulating images….

I think I’ll use that clone-stamp tool to ‘clear the dust off’ my paycheck…

Hmmmm, where did that extra zero come from?

speed647 on August 8, 2006 at 10:29 PM

They are burning tires cuz they burn real black and scary looking.

There is another photo out there I saw today of a different tire fire taken by Reuters Photographer Ben Curtis.

The famous doctored photo that started the whole mess was probably a tire set on fire on top of that building.

Perchant on August 8, 2006 at 10:49 PM

Now AP photo faces questions.

Entelechy on August 9, 2006 at 1:06 AM

We’ve all “known” that the MSM was full of it. We just couldn’t prove it.

Now we can.

About time!

RH

RobertHuntingdon on August 9, 2006 at 3:09 AM

Yo, Jefferson:

I am as big a critic of Al Reuters as you’ll find, but I think you might have this one wrong. The writer is not quoting anyone as saying “lorry” but paraphrasing.

His audience knows trucks as lorries, so that probably makes sense. No quotation marks, love.

Jaibones on August 9, 2006 at 3:16 PM

BTW,nice coverage Allah (pbuh).

I have been telling my clients in the financial world that the “next great scandal” in America was going to be the day when everyone finds out that their credit reports all contain incorrect information and congress is bored and decides to turn TransUnion upside down.

I was wrong.

This is the next great scandal. America is about to find out that the “news” they’ve been seeing, reading, and hearing is largely Bull Spit, controlled by a cabal of leftist pseudo-journalists that were too stupid or too lazy to do real work.

We need to burn this house down like a tire fire.

Jaibones on August 9, 2006 at 3:21 PM

jaibones, actually the story does include a direct quote from the Texas DPS guy, at the end, where he allegedly says “lorry”.

I have never heard a Texan, or any other kind of American, ever use that word.

juliesa on August 9, 2006 at 4:26 PM

Well strike me dumb. No quotation marks?

I always though that those little ” things signified a quote.

Like this, from the article:

“There was another lorry full of snakes and alligators that was an hour ahead of them, so luckily we didn’t have to deal with the alligators,” Buchanan said.

My mistake. I didn’t realize that either Reuters or someone else had redefined quotation marks. But since Reuters has redefined “insurgent” and “militant”, I guess nothing much should surprise me.

Geez, I said it’s a minor quibble. But it’s exactly the kind of lack of attention to detail that has caused the entire Lamestream Media to be in the hole they are in.

My High School Journalism class even taught me that if you are quoting someone, you don’t change a flipping thing they said. Ellipsis are allowed, but changing words is not.

Heh.