Video: WaPo reporter accuses Israel of wanting its citizens to die (Update: “I wish I’d kept my mouth shut”)

posted at 6:04 pm on August 7, 2006 by Allahpundit

More than that, of letting its citizens die. In order to justify continued bombings of Lebanon.

Some people would say this comes dangerously close to a blood libel. Me being one of those people.

Then again, you know what they say about Jews being cunning.

And of course, by “they” I mean “Mel Gibson.”

Trancript at Powerline. Meanwhile, Ace wonders which “military analysts” Ricks has been talking to — then answers his own question.

Update: Maybe the military analysts were Venezuelan.

Update: Why is Ricks’s moral equivalence so outrageous? Let Richard Engle, also appearing on Reliable Sources, explain:

[Hezbollah has] not tried to stop us filming other events while we’re in the field, but they have, on several occasions, threatened reporters here in Tyre, south Lebanon. From the location where we’re standing right now, we’ve been able to see, today and on other days, outgoing Katyusha rockets. And on more than one occasion people from Hezbollah have come and said, “Do not film the locations of these rockets when they’re being launched.”

At one time, when we were talking and having a conversation with this Hezbollah representative, he said, “Look, we’re serious, we will kill you if you film these outgoing rockets.” So it is a threat, but when we’ve been out in the field, we’ve not had situations where they told us to stop filming.

Update: Ricks stands by his sources for the charge, but he did tell Hugh Hewitt this afternoon that he wishes he hadn’t mentioned it on Kurtz’s show. In other words, he’s sorry — sorry that you’re offended.

Update: The transcript of Hewitt’s interview with Ricks is here. Nut graf:

TR- Yeah, I wish I’d kept my mouth shut. What I said was accurate, that in an off-the-record conversation with some military analysts, a couple had said to me that they thought it was a smart strategy to leave some rocket pockets in place to help the Israelis shape public perceptions, and give their forces more freedom of maneuver in Lebanon. They weren’t saying it was a bad strategy. They thought it was pretty intelligent, if it were the case. But I’ve since heard today from some very smart, well-informed people, that while such a strategy might be logical, and even morally defensible, that they thought the Israeli public just wouldn’t stand for it, and they also expressed personal dismay to me that I had passed on the thought, which they thought was irresponsible.

I’m confused. Did they accuse Israel of having done this, or did they merely suggest it would be a good (albeit grossly immoral) idea if they did?

Comments

and people wonder why it is called the Washington Compost.

MikeG on August 7, 2006 at 6:36 PM

Well…there are some that think we bombed WTC. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Ropera on August 7, 2006 at 6:40 PM

It’s a version of 9/11 conspiracy-mongering for the Israelis.

dorkafork on August 7, 2006 at 6:43 PM

Wow! I didn’t realize that Kurtz was such an incompetent interviewer. One outrageous statement after another he leaves unchallenged.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 7, 2006 at 6:44 PM

In other words, he’s sorry — sorry that you’re offended.

Not even that, he’s just sorry people are bothering him about it.

dorkafork on August 7, 2006 at 6:45 PM

Looks like Ricks is a Jew-hating bastard. He should fit in very well at the Washington Post.

Andy in Agoura Hills on August 7, 2006 at 6:49 PM

From the looks of it, Ricks appears to suffer from acute alcoholism.

Wetbrain might explain his comments. Or just rank anti-Semitism.

What a PoS.

JammieWearingFool on August 7, 2006 at 6:53 PM

Has Ricks stopped beating his wife yet?

JammieWearingFool on August 7, 2006 at 6:54 PM

Poor interviewer is right on, I would have immediately responded with this question:

“So you are being told by ‘miltary analysts’ that Israel knows exactly where every one of some 13,000 rockets are located?”

And I would have had to follow with, “You need to find better military analysts than the ones you have been consulting, pronto.”

But hey, I don’t possess a modern journalism degree.

The Machine on August 7, 2006 at 7:08 PM

The first amendment should have a contingency that says anyone who trashes Freedom Loving Democracies with no basis in logic and/or fact should go live in dictator-run sh*t-holes like Iran and Syria for a year with nothing but the clothes on their back.

venmax on August 7, 2006 at 7:13 PM

I’m not sure which is worse. That he would actually talk such baloney, or that he thinks anybody with half a brain would find it credible.

I’m beginning to think the MSM is filled with delusional imbeciles, who’ve got no idea how stupid their high-toned ‘analysis’ sounds, once you unpack it.

Still, if WaPo doesn’t want him, he’ll find a home at AlJazeereuters™.

Martin on August 7, 2006 at 7:35 PM

.12

That’s funny.

MT on August 7, 2006 at 8:45 PM

I smell Sidney Blumenthal.

manfriend on August 7, 2006 at 9:05 PM

And Howie is a media critic? What the hell was he thinking…

d1carter on August 7, 2006 at 10:25 PM

And of course, by “they” I mean “Mel Gibson.”

TR- Yeah, I wish I’d kept my mouth shut

“GIVE ME BACK MY QUOTE!!!”

Kid from Brooklyn on August 7, 2006 at 10:40 PM

Isn’t this the same guy who wrote, Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq?

Enough said.

DannoJyd on August 8, 2006 at 12:00 AM

I’m beginning to believe that some of these democrats are not only anti-Semitic but really are on the side of the terrorists.

Capitalist Infidel on August 8, 2006 at 12:22 AM

Let’s see. . .If I just make stuff up and have no logical or factual basis on which to base it, I’ll just say I heard it from a “Media Analyst”.

That’ll go over well, won’t it??

MCPO Airdale on August 8, 2006 at 12:48 AM

manfriend-

I smell an idiot.

Brian on August 8, 2006 at 10:18 AM

He’s too malicious to be an idiot.

Abigail Adams on August 8, 2006 at 10:38 AM

I stand corrected.

I think it’s obvious he was passing off a hypothetical theory by a few US analysts as a factual description of Israeli policy. Despicable.

dorkafork on August 8, 2006 at 11:20 AM

I stand corrected.

I think it’s obvious he was passing off hypothetical speculation as fact.

dorkafork on August 8, 2006 at 11:23 AM

The lowlife pretender is trying to be a male Ann Coulter, but he fails at it terribly. (he fails at humanity miserably). He sees the amazing pub that Ann received for her book with her unique style so he tried to be controversial by making possible secrets more appealing, kind of ‘pshopped words’.

‘True deception’ is what he came up with. IDF overlooking rocket launchers in Hizbollahs hands at the border so…??? – AP, I heard this live and it sounded to me like an accusation. A theory he made sound as truth, used only so he could sell his book. He’s a bad Coulter copycat and his theories & stories change depending on what he thinks sells books, nothing to do with the truth, just BS.
This guy, IMO, is despicable.

shooter on August 8, 2006 at 12:49 PM

Drug testing ought to become standard after an interview like that.

-BJU