Mel Gibson experiment: inconclusive

posted at 11:10 pm on August 3, 2006 by Allahpundit

I managed seven beers over three hours, which sounds pathetic until you realize they were Amstels.

Which sounds really pathetic.

Hey. Even Ted Williams struck out sometimes.

It’s the worst way to drink, of course. All the calories with only a diffuse, low-grade buzz to show for it. If you’re going to do it that way, you might as well skip the booze entirely and just load up on Quarter Pounders at McDonald’s.

Seven beers over three hours comes to .09. Not quite as drunk as Mel, but close enough for preliminary findings.

I report having felt no anti-semitic impulses during my inebriation, aside from an occasional fleeting doubt about whether Israel’s strategy in Lebanon is working and an ill-advised e-mail I sent to Ace with the subject line “Are you a Jew?” in which I addressed him repeatedly as “sugar tits.”

I also spent some more time looking at that Day By Day cartoon, but I was doing that for the better part of the day yesterday, too, so I don’t think it’s significant.

Incidentally, does anyone know if Chris Muir does private commissioned work? I bet he gets some … interesting offers.

Oh, I also stumbled upon this cartoon, which struck me as profoundly offensive in its moral equivalence. But maybe it was the beer talking. Click the image for the full-sized version.

telnaes.jpg

I leave you with one of my blog heroes, Dean Barnett, lamenting the decline of one of his blog heroes. It’s related to Mel Gibson, albeit only obliquely.

Comments

Rum & Diet Coke chased with bottled water is a much better route to drunken anti-semitism. Though I can’t imagine hating these delicious creatures:

PeteRR on August 3, 2006 at 11:37 PM

See, I’ve been unclear on all the “Mel Gibson experimenting” that’s been going around. I do the “Mel Gibson experiment” at least a couple times a week. I thought that’s why so many people already had a frame of reference as soon as the story broke. The “Mel Gibson experiment” is one of the more enjoyable sociological tests out there. It just seems to me that in all my years of doing the “Mel Gibson experiment” I’d know by now if alcohol alone led to creative political theories, but there’s been nothing yet. However, for science’s sake, I will keep at it.

Alex K on August 3, 2006 at 11:54 PM

They can put a man on the moon, but photobucket is still blocked by my work. Someone describe the lovely ladies please!

rightside on August 4, 2006 at 12:06 AM

Beautiful IDF babes in uniform.

PeteRR on August 4, 2006 at 12:11 AM

SO many women and they’re all kosher! :-D

Defector01 on August 4, 2006 at 12:21 AM

Dude, you went about this all wrong. It’s German beer that does the trick.

A sixer of Beck’s Dark and you woulda been breaking ground on the HotAir concentration camp.

(Dayum! Where do I sign up for the IDF!)

speed647 on August 4, 2006 at 12:27 AM

Keep fighting the good fight Allah, I know .12 is just around the corner! And great posts all of them…

Entelechy, thank you for your kind words on an earlier thread – I’ve been away from the net for a couple of days and will be posting a small follow-up on one or two of them by this time tomorrow –

RD on August 4, 2006 at 1:14 AM

A thought in particular: I think that by focusing on Mel’s inebriation, it’s possible we’ve missed what motivated his anti-Semitic tirade to start with. By only considering his .12 BAL and his alcoholism, we don’t necessarily explain why it happened there & then. After all he was known to party on occassion w/nary a problem to speak of –

I have to consider the following: having a DWI on one’s record is bad, even for a celebrity; he had to know he committed an offense that was sure to bring consequences; and he tried to avoid those consequences and failed – thus threatening to make the consequences even more severe.

He had to know all of those things at the time, blood alcohol level or not; surely that created intense psychological pressure. What if the tirade was not brought on by his intoxication, but by the amount of pressure he was under and the certain knowledge that he had committed a crime?

I really wonder if the rant would have been markedly different if the same Jewish police officer had taken him in for another offense of similar import, one which he had committed while sober.

Am I convinced beyond the shadow of a doubt that it was his intoxication that was the cause of his vile thoughts and words?

I’m not. How about you?

And it seems to me that, by us talking up his ostensible drunkenness on this board, by portraying his behavior solely as deranged drivel when it was actually much more cogent, coherent and focused than that (though laced with panic and rage nonetheless), by us asking questions like “does such-and-such a level of drunkeness induce thoughts and words like this?” we fail to ask whether a lot of pressure, certain knowledge of wrongdoing, and understandable (though unjustified) rage at having been forced to accept the consequences of that wrongdoing, induce such thoughts and words in someone like Mel – regardless of his level of inebriation.

RD on August 4, 2006 at 1:22 AM

Dont’cha just love a girl in a ghili suit? ;^)

I think this one is my favorite: The last thing a Hezbolla killer will ever see as this “chooser of the slain” takes up the slack.

georgej on August 4, 2006 at 1:34 AM

I would love to see some personal info on these gals like “Hi, my name is Mindi, my favorite colors are olive drab mixed with charcoal black, and the number of terrorists I’ve personally killed with my rifle is 4”. Now THAT would be hot and drive the libs insane … two birds …

-Fat Old Guy

Fogpig on August 4, 2006 at 8:24 AM

Mel should have stuck to “Lethal Weapon” remakes in lieu of putting his Christian beliefs on display with “The Passion”. Had he done this, Hollywood and the lefties would be surrounding him with adornment and providing him with such cover as they provide Hezballah in the current
war.

gary on August 4, 2006 at 8:38 AM

On the other hand, seven shots of tequila would’ve had you thinking you were Goebbels himself.

I also spent some more time looking at that Day By Day cartoon,

Hey, whatever works in between KP appearances, right?

Kid from Brooklyn on August 4, 2006 at 8:50 AM

I’d say you were more than a little drunk if you were “stumbled upon cartoons.” Find yourself a pillow (hint: the keyboard is not a pillow) and sleep it off.

GPE on August 4, 2006 at 9:07 AM