ABC: Bin Laden Jr. not headed to Lebanon

posted at 7:24 pm on August 3, 2006 by Allahpundit

I figured this one might be shinola.

As usual, they bury the lede:

An estimated 12 to 15 senior-level al Qaeda operatives sought refuge in Iran after the U.S.-led war in Afghanistan in 2001 eliminated al Qaeda’s camps and sanctuaries. Iranian officials have, at various times, said the al Qaeda operatives were under house arrest or in jail awaiting trial.

Presumably, by Sid Blumenthal’s logic, the mere disclosure of this fact is proof of a neocon conspiracy bent on initiating war with Iran.

Which reminds me: Blumenthal claims to have a scoop about Israeli intel-sharing, a disclosure which has righty bloggers up in arms over classified leakage. But what if he’s lying? What if he just made up the fact that it came from a source in NSA and tossed the allegation out there to cast aspersions on the administration?

I don’t believe that for a second, mind you. I have zero evidence to suggest it’s true. But neither does Sid’s favorite blogger have any evidence for the outlandish claims he makes, and that doesn’t prevent him from being published in America’s most respected newsweekly.

Anyway.

Jeffrey Cozzens at the Counterterrorism Blog thinks a Sunni-Shiite strategic partnership is pure fantasy. Meanwhile, the French are backing off their fawning statements about Iran from earlier in the week in light of Ahmadinejad’s latest descent into Judenrein.

Me, I’m just trying to get that Mary Katherine Ham “Day by Day” cartoon out of my head.

Comments

Um,

…But what if he’s lying? What if he just made up the fact that it came from a source in NSA and tossed the allegation out there to cast aspersions on the administration?

But hey, why don’t we just throw the possibility up in the air. One of these nutcases will run with it. Should make it’s round on the internets before I’ve had my coffee tomorrow morning. Come on mister pundit, Allah sir, I respect your opinion, or at least your right to have one, until I become convinced you’re an agent of a foreign body. And Israel, the last time I checked was just that, a foreign body, with interests of its own. When our interests and theirs coincide, well great, but otherwise, they should be on their own! If anyone is “leaking” intel to foreign governments with the aim of widening this conflict, they should have their security clearances pulled, and they should be the subjects of an inquiry, full stop. I didn’t f’n vote for Sharon!

THeDRiFTeR on August 3, 2006 at 7:49 PM

I agree, TD, but what on earth makes you think our interests and theirs don’t coincide here? Iran’s threatening to build nuclear weapons; they’re prestige is on the line right now vis-a-vis Hezbollah. Doesn’t it strengthen our hand at the negotiating table to have Israel give them a bloody nose?

Allahpundit on August 3, 2006 at 7:52 PM

And as for the point about having zero evidence, I was stressing that to mock Marshall. I fully believe Blumenthal’s telling the truth about the leak. And that person should be prosecuted. Vigorously.

Allahpundit on August 3, 2006 at 7:55 PM

…what on earth makes you think our interests and theirs don’t coincide here?

Allahpundit on August 3, 2006 at 7:52 PM

Well, this:

US hopes for Middle East in disarray

How can our interests be served by the systematic destruction of Lebanese infrastructure? Who do you honestly believe is going to be stuck with the reconstruction bill, France? Israel?

Hezbollah is launching more mortar and rocket attacks as the war drags on. More than when this sordid affair began. There seems to be no slowing them with this air campaign. And it seems that Israel isn’t prepared to commit the ground invasion required to get this job done right, or at least less indiscriminately. Israel may be required to shed its sons and daughters blood to defend itself, but Olmert seems unwilling. Why is he unwilling, well, that’s for another discussion I suppose. And who knows, perhaps he’ll have a change of heart. In the meantime, it’s become a “10 of you (whoever you may be) for every one of us” kind of mentality, and that’s where our interests diverge. Come on, when did terrorizing the civilian population ever root out unwanted elements. And when I say unwanted, I do mean unwanted by us. Check out the polls conducted in Lebanon these days. They’re very telling. Hezbollahs popularity is shooting up like, well, a rocket, and that doesn’t sound to me like it serves our interests at all, let alone Israels. Talk about emboldening Ahmadinejad.

I do sometimes miss Bush 1, and the common sense realists he surrounded himself with.

THeDRiFTeR on August 3, 2006 at 10:04 PM

Just on a side note Allahpundit, I’ll go one further. And I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but you will find its circulated on the right for some time now.

American strategic interest in the Middle East is cheap oil. Cheap oil is the arabs. You give me examples of how our cozy relations with the Israelis serves our interest and I’ll give you as many as to why it doesn’t. This is not antisemitism, this is strategic and economic reality.

THeDRiFTeR on August 3, 2006 at 10:51 PM

THeDRiFTeR on August 3, 2006 at 10:51 PM

So, what’s your solution to this problem?

More talk? More utter feckless ‘diplomacy’?

Nobody’s going to be able to negotiate with hizb’allah. They’ll never negotiate in good faith. Never have. It’s called hudna.

They’ll speak soothing words of peace and ceasefire, as long as they’re getting their asses handed to them. But as soon as they possibly can, they’ll be right back to killing innocent Jews and actively pursuing the total destruction of Israel.

When will people like you get that? This isn’t a business deal with legal strictures that both parties are forced to abide by. This is a war of genocide and subgugation of Israel and the West.

The current conflict in Lebanon is just one more front on a truely global war. It’s time for the action that Israel is taking, (and they’re doing it in an unbelievably humane way). The time for talking passed LONG ago.

techno_barbarian on August 4, 2006 at 10:57 AM

techno_barbarian on August 4, 2006 at 10:57 AM

This is a war of genocide and subgugation of Israel and the West.

That’s a load of well, you know what. You kidding? You mean a handful of desperate stone throwing arabs armed with homemade rockets are going to do what the Soviet Union couldn’t do? Hudna hell, that’s called chutzpah! They don’t threaten us any more than Saddam did. You ask me what “my solution” would be? Well, I think we should pursue our own interests in the region, and let the cards fall where they may. I owe absolutely no allegiance to Israel, and don’t exactly understand what it is we get in return for our participation in their venture. We’re talking about a foreign country whose citizenry benefit more from the largesse of the american taxpayer than, um, the american taxpayer. Somethings wrong in that picture.

The current conflict in Lebanon is just one more front on a truely global war.

Again, hogwash! Whose war? What, Islamist war to subjegate the west? What a bloody nonsense. Let Israel deal with its own problems, we’ve enough of our own, thank you very much. In my honest opinion, and I really believe this, there is one legitimate “front” in this war, this so called “war on terror”, that being Afghanistan. Unfortunalely, when “people like” me finally did get it, it was too late. Shame for us, and on us all.

THeDRiFTeR on August 4, 2006 at 3:01 PM