Haditha: Wuterich sues Murtha for defamation (Update: Source says NCIS probe points toward deliberate killings) (Murtha responds)

posted at 1:58 am on August 2, 2006 by Allahpundit

Go ahead and add libel to the repertoire of funny/creative ways anti-war types support the troops:

“This case is not about money; it’s about clearing Frank Wuterich’s name, and part of that is to identify where these leaks are coming from,” [Wuterich's lawyer] said in an interview. “Congressman Murtha has created this atmosphere that has already concluded guilt. He’s created this environment that really smells, and he’s the only one who has done that.”

Why is this woman smiling?

irey.jpg

Because now she’s only going to lose by 15 points instead of 20.

Update: An unnamed Pentagon official told the AP this morning that NCIS thinks the killings were deliberate. Is Wuterich’s lawsuit a way to distract attention from that? Or is the leak a way to distract attention from Wuterich’s lawsuit?

I don’t want to draw rolled eyes. But think about it.

Update: Murtha answers Wuterich the way leftists always answer soldiers — with feigned sympathy and exquisite condescension:

I don’t blame the staff sergeant for lashing out. When I spoke up about Haditha, my intention was to draw attention to the horrendous pressure put on our troops in Iraq and to the cover-up of the incident.

This is a guy he’s accused of murdering children, yet he still can’t muster enough regard for his moral agency to respond with anger. Amazing.

He should have ignored his rank in the statement and just referred to him as “cannon fodder.”

Comments

Because now she’s only going to lose by 15 points instead of 20.

I certainly hope not.

I would not be surprised if the defamation suit against Murtha causes an serious erosion of his support, provided that it doesn’t get preemptively tossed out before the election.

If there are no serious charges are levied against SSGT Wuterich as a result of the NCIS investigation, then this lawsuit could be a milstone around Murtha’s neck.

georgej on August 2, 2006 at 2:21 AM

The best way to combat these Democratic tale weavers is to take them to court and let the truth be documented in black and white. The Democrats are the party of promises they never intend to keep along with tossing out personal opinion as fact. Being held accountable will take the wind out of their sales and show them as the wind bags they truly are.

Hening on August 2, 2006 at 8:24 AM

As much as I’d like to see Murtha lose the election, less than 20 house seats are actually contested, none of which belong to any household names this time.

Number 2 on August 2, 2006 at 8:38 AM

To test congressional competency we need a senility meter to measure for dementia. “OK. All men who aren’t senile fall out on my left. Where are you going, Murtha?”

MaiDee on August 2, 2006 at 8:56 AM

If someone with more experience in cases of this type is available for comment, I’d love to hear their educated guess on that question.

I hope this guy is not guilty and I hope he nails that POS Murtha to the f’ing wall.

thirteen28 on August 2, 2006 at 11:04 AM

The decision on whether to press criminal charges ultimately will be made by the commander of the accused Marines’ parent unit, the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Pendleton, Calif. That currently is Lt. Gen. John Sattler, but he is scheduled to move to a Pentagon assignment soon; his successor will be Lt. Gen. James Mattis.

Don’t know much about Sattler, but I’m pretty confident that Mattis isn’t going to sacrifice innocent Marines on the altar of PC. It will be interesting to see what the NCIS report has to say.

Pablo on August 2, 2006 at 11:19 AM

It is about time that someone told Murta to shut the frak up, and this bad publicity should cause the liberal North America Chicken Track leaders to do exactly that.

She is climbing in the polls? That is a Good Thing! I hope that Diana Irey hits Fox News again to bolster her campaign finances. I think I’ll send her a check today.

Agents of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service have completed their initial work on the incident last November, but may be asked to probe further as Marine Corps and Navy prosecutors review the evidence and determine whether to recommend criminal charges, according to two Pentagon officials who discussed the matter on condition of anonymity.

It sounds like they have bupkis to me. Why else would they need to ‘probe further’.

DannoJyd on August 2, 2006 at 11:25 AM

I hate how litigious America has become, but when dealing with the monologue-ist lefties you dont have many choices if you really need one of them to actually answer a question. Bupkis is what you usually get. Word of the day, Bupkis. Thx DannoJyd.

shooter on August 2, 2006 at 12:08 PM

He “thinks” the killings were deliberate. Well, I think the moon is made of green cheese but, that doesn’t mean I have any proof it is.

MCPO Airdale on August 2, 2006 at 12:19 PM

General Mattis is a real Marine, but his comments a year ago could give the ‘prosecutors’ additional distraction points: “You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn’t wear a veil,” Mattis said. “You know, guys like that ain’t got no manhood left anyway. So it’s a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them.”
Could be a real circus, I certainly hope not.

shooter on August 2, 2006 at 12:35 PM

“This conflict cannot be won militarily.”

Nice job slipping this surrender gem into the lawsuit response.

Kid from Brooklyn on August 2, 2006 at 1:51 PM

Congressman John Murtha today released the following statement about a lawsuit filed by a Marine Corps staff sergeant charged in the incident at Haditha in November 2005.

Charged with what?!?! I thought they were still doing the investigation.

Thanks for the pic, AP. She is further proof that conservative dolls are cuter.

Thanks for the recognition, Shooter. Perhaps I should start referring to it as The Party of Bupkis. ;o)

DannoJyd on August 2, 2006 at 2:54 PM

Thanks for the pic, AP. She is further proof that conservative dolls are cuter.

Not always, my friend.

Kid from Brooklyn on August 2, 2006 at 4:13 PM

It seems to me that the incident being investigated is very similar to the current Israeli / Hezbolla conflict. Terrorist take shots at troops from locations full of civilians. Then the troops retaliate in self-defense, yet are accused of being the “bad-guy” when those civilians are injured or killed.

Cavalry21 on August 2, 2006 at 4:45 PM

The bodies were not exhumed and nor was an autopsy performed….I have been told that the airial photos show gunmen leaving the residence….

Whose evidence does the ncis believe….Haditha was a “bad” town and the residents were in bed with the terroists….

I chose to believe the marines….Semper Fi

robo on August 2, 2006 at 8:27 PM

Kid, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that is why I know I am right. ;o)

DannoJyd on August 3, 2006 at 6:59 PM

Thanks for the pic, AP. She is further proof that conservative dolls are cuter.

Word!

Woooorrrrrdddd!!

Jaibones on August 3, 2006 at 11:18 PM

A response to the Murtha lawsuit? From WaPo:

SAN DIEGO — Six Marines accused of injuring civilians in the Iraqi village of Hamdania in April were charged Thursday with assault.

Half of the men were already being held on murder charges in an unrelated case. Military officials said that the assaults were uncovered during an investigation into that slaying.

IMHO, this stinks to high heaven of a cover-up. My guess is that Murtha does indeed have friends in the military, and his friends are hard at work to keep him from looking as bad as he is.

DannoJyd on August 4, 2006 at 9:48 AM