Video: Letterman calls Coulter an “evil, crazy bitch”

posted at 6:33 pm on July 31, 2006 by Allahpundit

A decent gag spoiled by vitriol.

But pretty mild by his usual standards.

Comments

Letterman is a hollywood lib who has no means to debate, therefore he resorts to the liberal name calling. If he only had a brain — he might hurt someone … but he doesn’t, therefore it will never be an issue.

wytammic on July 31, 2006 at 6:50 PM

I’m sure Ann can take it, and with a smile to boot. I’m anxiously awaiting her counterpunch.

thirteen28 on July 31, 2006 at 7:02 PM

I think Letterman does have a brain, and is entitled to his opinion (which doesn’t differ much from that of our esteemed host [pbuh]).

These are jokes. As 13twentyeight said, Ann can take it.

I was actually more bothered by his talk with O’Reilly w/r/t Cindy Sheehan.

mikeyboss on July 31, 2006 at 7:07 PM

Ah, c’mon. That was frickin’ hilarious.

Remember, kids, we aren’t liberals – which means we can laugh at ourselves.

Of course, Letterman is still a loon. Too bad. When my wife and I got together, we had ongoing fights about Leno vs. Letterman. She watched Jay – I’d grown up watching Dave. Cuz I was cooler than she was.

She won, of course. Don’t they always? I haven’t seen Dave in years, so I guess I’ve missed his implosion.

Turns out the woman was right. But I’m not admitting it. Dammit.

Still … that was pretty funny. And as thirteen28 implies … I’ll bet Ann will be laughing.

(Besides, Letterman was factually accurate: Clinton apparently only likes chubby chicks and women who look like Paula …)

Professor Blather on July 31, 2006 at 7:13 PM

Does anybody with a job actually watch Letterman?

januarius on July 31, 2006 at 7:39 PM

Who could really care what that dolt Letterman thinks or does. To say that he is an irrelevant loon is a gross understatement.

rplat on July 31, 2006 at 8:00 PM

Actually…I thought it was funny

The Ugly American on July 31, 2006 at 8:08 PM

…but I wonder when he’ll say the same about Saint Sheehan of the Hunger Strike

The Ugly American on July 31, 2006 at 8:12 PM

I don’t think Letterman actually called her that. The writers did. And it is a joke. If we can dish it out, we better be able to take it.

Rightwingsparkle on July 31, 2006 at 8:50 PM

His show, his words.

I agree, it’s no big deal. But you’d better believe if Coulter joked about Randi Rhodes or someone being an “evil, crazy bitch,” the left would be quite miffed indeed.

Allahpundit on July 31, 2006 at 8:52 PM

Letterman, he has had three good jokes in his entire carreer.
Leno on the other hand, great delivery, and some pretty good jokes. But letterman? Nah. The high point of his sho is “stupid pet tricks”
The man has been pissed ever snce Carson told him he could not replace him.
Now THAT was a great late night host.

Wyrd on July 31, 2006 at 9:41 PM

I stopped watching Dave after seeing him suck up to Jane Fonda and Tom Cruise awhile back. That was truly revolting.

speed647 on July 31, 2006 at 9:45 PM

Wyrd,

As I understand it, Carson actually favored Letterman to take over his job.

From Wikipedia:

“Upon Johnny Carson’s unexpected announcement that he would retire in May 1992, a protracted, multi-lateral battle erupted over who would replace the long-time Tonight host. Eventually, executives at NBC announced Carson’s frequent guest-host Jay Leno as Carson’s replacement, despite Carson’s professed desire to see the torch passed to Dave.”

mikeyboss on July 31, 2006 at 10:14 PM

Wyrd,

I agree that carson was the best…letterman or leno can not hold a candle to him..I am bored by the “late night” hosts of this generation…

In my opinion Letterman lost credibilty after O Reilly was on when he admitted that he never watched the factor….

robo on July 31, 2006 at 10:48 PM

Letterman is still on?

GT on August 1, 2006 at 2:37 AM

Letterman looks like a Halloween pumpkin.

doingwhatican on August 1, 2006 at 4:11 AM

Mickeyboss,
I stand corrected. I should know better then to rely on my memory :)

Letterman exemplifies the elitest snob. He truly believes he is better then every one else.
Its easy to see Leno under the chassis of a 57 chevy getting dirty while he tunes it up. Letternman would rather have his people contract a new vehicle rather then get his hands dirty.

Wyrd on August 1, 2006 at 7:45 AM

Two reasons I don’t watch Letterman:

1) I work

2) I prefer not to swim in his puddle of intellect.

Wil on August 1, 2006 at 8:31 AM

Letterman? Who’s Letterman?

docdave on August 1, 2006 at 11:06 AM

Knowing the Letterman of the snarky “Top 10 List”, that wasn’t as much political as it was punchline. He’s a lot like an fading pitcher whose lost his heat but not his control, and drops his pitches on the corners. To him and his writers, “Evil Crazy Bitch” worked because no one saw that tagline coming and it was effective that way…Doubly effective because it was supposedly coming from Bill “How you doin’ sweet thing?” Clinton’s point of view.

Besides;If anything would have bothered Coulter, I’d bet the “bony ass” comment would have come first on the list. (As I recall, Sigourney Weaver’s character didn’t take too kindly to that reference in a certain movie she did.)

52Ranger on August 1, 2006 at 12:13 PM

If they had said witches instead of bitches they could have pulled it off. It still would be below sophmoric humor.

Letterman, and Leno are not Carsons. If you watch re-runs of Carson it is impressive how decent he is. He is naughty, clever, and pleasant to share time with. Carson was more like Bob Hope.

Bob Hope made jokes about politicians in general, but none in particular. He never crossed the line into the personal. He had class. He was extremely clever and caught the moods of the nation, in a good way.

The cheap shot is so prevalent people have forgotten it is not necessary. They have also forgotten how pleasant life can be if people practice common decencies.

entagor on August 1, 2006 at 4:20 PM

I like what Jan said…”does anyone with a job watch Letterman?” lololol. I am so tired, I don’t watch Saturday Night Live, , much less Letterman during the work-week.

gary on August 1, 2006 at 7:12 PM

What’s to watch on that show anyway? A revolving door of libs and their high opinion of themselves. I’ve never watched because I gotta get some restful sleep without getting pissed off at this asswipe.

He’s irrelevant, really.

doingwhatican on August 1, 2006 at 7:39 PM

Why does ANYONE with a brain watch late night network television? Wake up people! All these shows do is provide a forum for a celebrity to plug their latest movie. They’re not talk shows; they’re infomericals.

Back in the days of Carson one would see celebrities show up just to chitchat or sing, dance, or do whatever else they did to entertain people. Carson also showed respect to Middle America (not surprising since he was raised in Norfolk, Nebraska). And, Carson’s sketches were hilarious.

jaleach on August 2, 2006 at 5:34 PM