Breaking: Castro dying?

posted at 10:24 pm on July 31, 2006 by Bryan

Let’s hope so. He has temporarily handed power to his brother Raul, while undergoing intestinal surgery.

Fidel Castro announced Monday night in a letter read by his secretary live on state television that due to illness he was temporarily relinquishing the presidency to his brother and successor Raul, the defense minister.

In the letter read by his secretary Carlos Valenciaga, Castro said he had suffered gastrointestinal bleeding, apparently due to stress from recent public appearances in Argentina and Cuba, and had to undergo an operation.

We’ll keep you posted as the story develops.

(h/t the boss)

Comments

May someone in the operating room enjoy junior mints during the surgery.

Savage on July 31, 2006 at 10:29 PM

Its hard to stop from saying that i hope this guy croakes on the operating table, so I won’t say it.

I can only hope that whatever happens will bring peace, freedom and democracy to Cuba

CUBA LIBRE!

Defector01 on July 31, 2006 at 10:31 PM

Have a nice refreshing swim in the Lake of Fire, Fidel.

speed647 on July 31, 2006 at 10:34 PM

I have always wondered what would happan in cuba after castro dies, maybe we will know soon.

robo on July 31, 2006 at 10:42 PM

But Savage, Junior Mints caused a miraculous recovery!

mikeyboss on July 31, 2006 at 11:04 PM

I commented about him a week ago, not knowing that it might be deja vu so soon. Hoping against all hope that Fidel says adios to be with dios, or with el diablo. Wherever he ends up, here’s how much I have always ‘loved’ him, since early youth…what I said before, on this site:

It makes me crazy to have to go circles around Cuba, when in the region. I know that I will not die before Cuba will be free! In Romania, I worked in a lab, in a 12/24 shift (work 12, be off 24 hours). One night, at the risk of being imprisoned, I tore the life-size picture of Fidel in fatigues off the wall. The next morning an investigation followed and when I returned to work the picture was replaced.

May he RIP soon! And may Cuba not fall into the grips of Hugo Chavez.

Entelechy on August 1, 2006 at 12:22 AM

I can’t bring myself to wish bad things on someone…even someone as vile as Castro…so I’ll just pray that the outcome of this situation is beneficial to the Cuban people.

4thelittleguy on August 1, 2006 at 12:32 AM

I didn’t realize what a weenie I sounded like in that last comment until it was actually posted.

There’s no doubt that the world will be much better off with Castro dead, but still, I have a hard time hoping that someone dies.

4thelittleguy on August 1, 2006 at 12:40 AM

Mise en temps and Mise en scene:

Entelechy on August 1, 2006 at 1:23 AM

This is a surprise. New York Times is giving away Herbert Matthews Feb. 24, 1957 article which made Castro a hero to the left:

‘The Man Who Invented Fidel

Essex on August 1, 2006 at 2:01 AM

But Savage, Junior Mints caused a miraculous recovery!

Bwah!? My Seinfeld trivia has rusted? TO THE DVD PLAYER!

Savage on August 1, 2006 at 2:07 AM

I pray Hugo Chavez doesn’t offer to “help” when the bearded one meets his best buddy Satan. Loathe as I am to gloat over a death, all I’ll say is good riddance to bad cess.

Ellen on August 1, 2006 at 7:56 AM

Castro is evil and I have no problem wishing death on him for that reason alone.

Abigail Adams on August 1, 2006 at 9:18 AM

So, who will be on the plane to Havana to mourn this great loss(hopefully)?After Carter, Sheehan, Conyers, Barbara Lee and the other CBC stooges, who gets the remaining first-class seats? Hillary wouldn’t let Bill go, would she? But could he resist if he’s asked to give the eulogy?

eagles5 on August 1, 2006 at 9:33 AM

I don’t care who gives the eulogy…as long as someone is eulogizing over Fidel Castro.

Actually, according to American tradition..VP Cheney should go to Havana for this funeral..VP GHW Bush attended how many funerals?

Marvin on August 1, 2006 at 9:58 AM

VP Cheney should go to Havana for this funeral

And puke in brother Raul’s lap!

speed647 on August 1, 2006 at 10:22 AM

If ever an passenger list called out for a detour through the Bermuda Triangle, it’s this one.

hindmost on August 1, 2006 at 12:46 PM

I know we all die… but doesn’t is seem as though lots of really bad guys have been dying lately? Maybe they’re having a leadership shake up in hell so Satan is bringing in some fresh leadership with some new fresh ideas.

Mojave Mark on August 1, 2006 at 12:50 PM

He’s gotta die sooner or later. Right?

And since I’ve been dyin’ to get my hands on a box of Cuban Davidoffs …

What a selfish bastard I am. Viva Fidel!

Professor Blather on August 1, 2006 at 2:27 PM

I’ll say it: I hope he dies. But his brother doesn’t sound much better, either.

StephC on August 1, 2006 at 2:37 PM

Alan Keyes debating for the death penalty explained that after sentencing prisoners to death, judges would declare “And may God have mercy on your soul’ meaning there were crimes so terrible they could not be sufficiently punished by man on earth, so the convicted man would be dispatched to receive ultimate justice from his Creator.

Soon Fidel.

Meanwhile, Fidel syncophants in the U.S. seem to prefer Che tee-shirts, posters, and tattoos. If Fidel was the Beast, Che was the soul of this souless tyrant. Che had no criticism from Fidel.

entagor on August 1, 2006 at 3:32 PM

Gods will be done, and may the Cuban people end up with the government they desire.

DannoJyd on August 1, 2006 at 4:04 PM

Professor, Viva Cuba, Muerte a Fidel y a Raul!

Entelechy on August 1, 2006 at 4:30 PM

If you’ve got a really strong stomach – I mean a really strong stomach – and you don’t mind feeling truly ill for a while, have a look at how liberals are responding to Fidel’s failing health:

Summary: if only we could all live in a worker’s paradise and have wise and wonderful leaders like Fidel – instead of the world’s greatest Rovian terrorist sitting in the White House – peace and justice and freedom and little bunnies would surround us all ….

I’m not kidding. That’s the liberal response.

It made me feel unclean. And vaguely homicidal.

Hat tip: to PJ and his DUmmieFUnnies.

Professor Blather on August 1, 2006 at 7:12 PM

If this sorry ass son of a bitch ain’t dead I hope Hurricane Chris kills him with the course this storm seems to be taking.

The libs are fretting, wringing their hands and wetting their pants because of “GAStro’s” health.

doingwhatican on August 1, 2006 at 7:29 PM

What looks like sex but really isn’t? Fidel Castro eating a banana.

The depressing thing is I heard that joke in 1959 AND THE BASTARD IS STILL AROUND.

MaiDee on August 2, 2006 at 11:56 AM

I just find it ironic that the left, who can’t stand our military and see America as the land of inequality, hail Fidel as their champion – a tyrant that has ruled a country for over 45 years with an iron fist (through his brother’s secret military police); wears military fatigues (on a daily basis); jails any dissenters; does not allow free elections; and lives a lavish lifestyle (while the rest of Cuba struggles to survive) – Yeah, that seems to be a true picture of democracy in action.

There’s been a nice room in Hell waiting for Fidel for some time now. Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini and Arafat will be greeting their brother with open arms when he arrives.

Rick on August 2, 2006 at 11:57 AM

I have this vision of Cindy Sheehan walking behind Fidel’s funeral procession—and throwing herself supine on his
grave like she did her son’s.
“I’m just the spark the universe picked to grab this day”
said Sheehan before sinking into the wet clay soil…Adding her remains to those of trilobites and triceratops.

lizzee on August 2, 2006 at 9:21 PM

grave like she did her son’s.

She won’t even have to act, this time.

B Moe on August 2, 2006 at 9:51 PM

B Moe on August 2, 2006 at 9:51 PM

What ever happened to Cindy?

dragondrop on December 7, 2011 at 1:55 PM