ADL: Gibson’s outburst reveals “his true self”

posted at 1:14 pm on July 30, 2006 by Allahpundit

We’ve all been there. A few beers, a shot or two of Jack, and before you know it you’re rambling about “moneylenders” and the secret ingredients in matzah.

Abe Foxman isn’t buying it.

The AP says Gibby’s BAL was .12, which isn’t that much, really. The rule of thumb for an adult male of average size is .02 for each drink, so if you’ve ever downed a sixer in an hour or so, that’s about how drunk Mel was.

I had 13 beers over the course of several hours when I met Ace and Karol in December, and the most anti-semitic thing I remember saying was how much I liked “Braveheart.”

Who knows? Maybe the Arab world’s just been drunk for the past thousand years.

I’ll leave you with this. Behind every reactionary moron, there’s a bigger, even more reactionary moron willing to apologize for him.

Update: Classic.

Comments

You have your funny drunks and your mean drunks and then you have stupid drunks, like Gibson.

I just hope his license is taken away, which I’ve not heard it was.

moonsbreath on July 30, 2006 at 1:32 PM

Gee Your Breath Smells Like Moon shine on you crazy diamond. (Sorry, your name caught me offguard.)

You know how many executive producers are Jewish? Mel was prolly caught on the tag end of a blow-out with one of them. Thus the ruse.

Coronagold on July 30, 2006 at 1:49 PM

Abe Foxman isn’t buying it.

Well then, Abe Foxman and I share something in common.

RD on July 30, 2006 at 1:50 PM

I won’t pretend to know what’s in Mel’s heart.

But drunk or not, his comments are indefensible, and further, being drunk is no excuse for that or any other lousy behavior.

thirteen28 on July 30, 2006 at 1:59 PM

A standard “drink” is only 250ml of beer or 100ml of wine;
a can of beer is closer to 350ml. So a .12 BAL equates to more like 4 1/2 cans of beer, not 6.

At a bar, you might even get double the “official” drink size: 1/2 liter of beer, 1/4 liter of wine or 2 oz. liquor per “free pour” liquor drink. That would equate to .04 BAL/drink, making a .12 BAL possible with only 3-4 drinks in a one-hour period.

RD on July 30, 2006 at 2:03 PM

By “standard drink” I mean specifically the size of the beverage required to raise your BAL by .02.

RD on July 30, 2006 at 2:06 PM

Remember also that an average person metabolizes about one drink’s worth of alcohol per hour. A person could theoretically drink a case of beer (or a little less, per RD’s point above) in 24 hours and have a zero BAC. All this is quite variable among individuals, so trying to back-figure how many drinks a person had is probably futile.

mikeyboss on July 30, 2006 at 3:20 PM

Well lets shoot his sorry ass. He needs to be stripped and flayed in public for his sin. Abe Foxman was right when he went off on Gibson for making that divisive movie about that rabble rouser back when Herod was around. The backlash has been horrendous. That stinking Gibson should be as pure as everyone here is. Make sure that you spread your feelings far and wide, we wouldn’t want anyone to be sucked in by a personal apology (from what he said it didn’t look like anyone else was apologizing for him).

Mike H. on July 30, 2006 at 4:34 PM

I don’t care if is BAL was 47, there’s no excuse for that sort of comment. Period. An apology means nothing without a lot of soul searching and true repentance for such hateful talk about Jews.

And I ain’t even a Jew.

/yeah, I know that a BAL of 47 would be dead. It was hyperbole, folks. :)

Bob's Kid on July 30, 2006 at 4:35 PM

Re moonsbreath : An arrest and a charge do not a conviction make. Licenses are not revoked til conviction, and then not always.

rockdalian on July 30, 2006 at 4:36 PM

Too late, Bob’s Kid. Too little and too late.

I condemn your hyperbole. And I condemn those who have failed to condemn said hyperbole. And I condemn those who would condem my comdemning said hyperbole. Condemnations all arround!

I’m sure you’ll understand Bob. It’s nothing personal. I just gotta maintain my, uh, moral purity.

EFG on July 30, 2006 at 4:40 PM

Licenses are not revoked til conviction, and then not always.

rockdalian on July 30, 2006 at 4:36 PM

Uh, Rockdalian, I think you might be a little, er, off with that last statment. The court system is one agency that can revoke your license. But in California, the DMV can do the same thing, without a conviction. Once they find out you have been arrested for DUI, they will notify you that they plan to suspend your license. And they will, too.

I supppose we could get into a long drawn out debate about the difference between a revoked license vs a suspended one, but in the end, they both mean you ain’t supposed to be driving.

But enough of this negative nitpicking of mine! I applaud you Sir, for living a clean and virtuous life. Your life Sir, is clean enough to keep you from learning about such sundry things such as license revokations and suspensions and all of the many ways they can be applied to one against their own wishes. But ask me no more about these things, or I might find myself inadvertantly revealing how I came to know such minutae of the legal system, and I could find myself in the unpleasant situation of having to condemn myself. Being hoisted on one’s own petard is such a bummer…

;-)

EFG on July 30, 2006 at 4:51 PM

BK,

But why did you choose the number 47? What concious or subconcious process produced that particular value?

mikeyboss on July 30, 2006 at 4:53 PM

And as my drinking buddy used to say, “Let’s have another pitcher. I’ve got too much blood in my alcohol stream.”

mikeyboss on July 30, 2006 at 4:54 PM

Good point mikeyboss.

I think I can take a stab at it. 7 is clearly a reference to Satanic black magic. And 4 is one more than 3, which is a symbolic reference to the Holy Trintity, which means mono-theism. So this idicates the opposite of monotheism, which is polytheism.

Hence, BK is sussed as being a polytheistic satanic worshipper who hates America, Mom, and Apple Pie.

After all, has any of us ever seen BK condemn polytheistic devil worship? I think not. His own silence on the subject condemns him.

EFG on July 30, 2006 at 4:58 PM

Oh, and before I forget, I CONDEMN POLYTHEISTIC DEVIL WORSHIP!!!

EFG on July 30, 2006 at 5:00 PM

Excellent analysis, EFG.

And I’m going to go ahead and preemptively condemn myself.

mikeyboss on July 30, 2006 at 5:01 PM

Oh, and if I offended any polytheistic devil worshippers out their with my condemnation, I condemn myself for not being tolerant of said worship.

EFG on July 30, 2006 at 5:03 PM

EFG: I live outside Chicago and do know that in Illinois one does not lose ones license on charges alone.

rockdalian on July 30, 2006 at 5:14 PM

Here in Indiana, there’s an automatic 30 day “administrative suspension” effective on being charged.

mikeyboss on July 30, 2006 at 5:23 PM

Rockdalian:

That’s the case in Illinois, but it ain’t the case in California.

But that’s enough out of me. ;-)

EFG on July 30, 2006 at 5:33 PM

Not surprised but disappointed in MG. It sounds like someone who keeps blaming “whitey” for all their supposed injustices..the Jews..what an easy target for bigots. *sigh* That photoshop is priceless..he deserves for it to be seen high and low. As for MG’s quote “I’, f—ed”..in more ways than one little man, more ways than one.

labwrs on July 30, 2006 at 5:53 PM

Well I am glad that Mr. Abe can come down from his heavenly throne to not forgive MG. Listen, as a christian, I am disapointed in what he did. He is going to have to face the consequences of his actions. That being said, he made a mistake and he appologized for it. He didnt make a statement through his publicist, blame other for being set up. He took responsibility and thats cool with me. I think Mr. Abe is still upset that there has still not been a jewish revolt over POTC.

JVelez on July 30, 2006 at 9:58 PM

I just go by my intuits with people. Body language. Background.

To me, Mel has the same facial twitches, tiny head jerks, and hyperactive squirming that a dear relative had as a by-product of long term thorazine therapy. This is a side effect of certain families of the ‘anti-anxiety/anti psychotic meds. Hyperactive, or neurologically off people also exhibit similar tics.

Mel has a long history of benders involving alcohol from which he emerges contrite and ashamed. There is a point in alcoholism where bender becomes blackout. The person walks, talks and often does things they wouldn’t normally do, often for days. They come out of it with all or part of those days missing from memory. The spouse of someone I knew had such blackouts, during which time he was violent and impossible to reason with. He reached a point where he did not have to drink to have those lapses.

There is certainly a possibility of other drugs. A depressed friend went bizarro after combining anti-depressants or anti-anxiety drugs and alcohol.

Add to that the sense that Mel is a man on edge, hyper sensitive and attempting to meet his seriously disciplined religion, I sense Van Gogh seeking the Holy Grail.

Deep down, I just like the guy. If he was my neighbor and called me a dirty ____ I probably would try to help him.

entagor on July 30, 2006 at 11:08 PM

And once again, that mystery within a mystery, the puzzle that is the number 47, raises its perplexed head.

For more on all things 47:

Professor Blather on July 30, 2006 at 11:20 PM

The above post makes more sense if I quote this, doesn’t it?

And I ain’t even a Jew.

/yeah, I know that a BAL of 47 would be dead. It was hyperbole, folks. :)

The fact that you oh-so-randomly chose 47 is proof that God exists. Or perhaps it explains Adam Sandler’s success. Definitely one of those.

Professor Blather on July 30, 2006 at 11:22 PM

in CA, first time DUI six months suspension of license (or in some cases the judge can allow conditional use..as in “to/from work”..) and yes the DMV can do their own thing separate from the court system.

Foxman has gone off the deepend on this. It annoys me, because I think it reflects poorly on Foxman rather than on Gibson who immediately and unequivocally apologized. DO contrast that with the “i was just sick” stuff from Kennedy the lesser. Remember, the last time Foxman was media whoring wasn’t about Noam Chomsky’s support of islamo-fascists, or Tony Judt’s calling for the end of the state of Israel, but was screaming about a nasty Christian conspiracy to “Christianize America”.

Foxman’s antics have caused a lot of people to leave the ADL, and this one isn’t going to help.

Alcohol ain’t somekind of “truth serum.” Gibson said ugly, vile things and he needs to get back to being a friend of Bill W and make amends.

But do these random statements make him an anti-semite? Without any other functionally anti-semitic behavior (like supporting groups that make the annihilation of Israel is raison d’etre), I’d say Gibson is not an anti-semite.

Any more than Hillary Clinton is an anti-semite for saying, in anger but sober, that Paul Frey was a “Jew bastard.”

Darleen on July 31, 2006 at 1:43 AM

test?

Darleen on July 31, 2006 at 1:44 AM

oh good lord… my comment was eaten by the internet gods..

let’s see…

Alcohol is not a truth serum. Foxman is a blithering idiot who is media whoring Gibson’s drunken rage but not saying anything about people who actually support organizations who advocate the destruction of Israel. Last time he wanted face time, Foxman was screaming about a “Christian Conspiracy” to “Christianize” America.

Darleen on July 31, 2006 at 1:54 AM

For more on all things 47:

Professor Blather

I would commend you for your interesting theory Professor, but it does not support my theory that polytheistic devil worship is involved, so I condemn it.

In a non-judgemental way, of course.

EFG on July 31, 2006 at 3:31 AM

Mel needs to check into AA. Abe Foxman needs to shut his media whoring yap and quit seeing anti-Semites under every church. Abe, here’s a suggestion for you – want to find anti-Semites? Check the local universities, and the MSM.

Ellen on July 31, 2006 at 7:19 AM

Look, Mel Gibson is a moron, drunk or not. (As, I might add, are the folks behind that PrisonPlanet link.) But who’s Abe Foxman to decide whether to accept his apology on behalf of the rest of us?

I’ve said this before. The fear of Christians may have made sense in the “old country,” or in Europe, but it verges on the absurd in contemporary America. Give an American Jew the following multiple choice question: A Jew should afraid of (a) Christians, or (b) Muslims. The answer “(a)” deserves no credit.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on July 31, 2006 at 9:11 AM