Report: Mel Gibson erupts with Jew-hate after DWI arrest

posted at 1:02 pm on July 29, 2006 by Allahpundit

Remember the fuhrer, er, furor over whether The Passion of the Christ was anti-semitic?

We have our answer.

Sounds like his character in Lethal Weapon wasn’t that much of a stretch:

The report says Gibson told the deputy, “You mother f****r. I’m going to f*** you.” The report also says “Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he ‘owns Malibu’ and will spend all of his money to ‘get even’ with me.”

The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: “F*****g Jews… The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.” Gibson then asked the deputy, “Are you a Jew?”

The deputy became alarmed as Gibson’s tirade escalated, and called ahead for a sergeant to meet them when they arrived at the station. When they arrived, a sergeant began videotaping Gibson, who noticed the camera and then said, “What the f*** do you think you’re doing?”

A law enforcement source says Gibson then noticed another female sergeant and yelled, “What do you think you’re looking at, sugar tits?”

We’re told Gibson took two blood alcohol tests, which were videotaped, and continued saying how “f****d” he was and how he was going to “f***” Deputy Mee.

LA cops have helped cover up Hollywood scandals for a hundred years so it’s no great shock to learn this stuff was redacted from the initial police report. Although the excuse given — that publicizing it would cause problems for Jews, not Gibson — is unusually precious.

TMZ has PDFs of the redacted pages. The anti-semitic stuff is on page 2. There are no identifying marks that prove the document’s provenance, but TMZ’s sources must be pretty solid. They’re staring at the mother of all libel cases if not, and I’m sure they know it.

I give it, oh, three days until Steven Spielberg issues a statement saying how “disappointed” he is, a week until Gibson’s Nazi-apologist father backs him up, and three weeks until Gibson does an interview with Diane Sawyer blaming his remarks on his “frustration” with Bush’s foreign policy.

And a month until he starts writing for the Huffington Post.

Update: Nice choice of photo by the Daily News, by the way. Really captures the crazy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Lol! Dayum! I think we have another Ernest Hemmingway on our hands…

venmax on July 29, 2006 at 1:08 PM

The “Passion of the Christ” director repeatedly said, “My life is f—-d”

Might be news to his wife and kids. From the picture, looks like Gibson is ready for his jihad, he’s just missing the kuffiyeh.

moonsbreath on July 29, 2006 at 1:09 PM

I wonder how the Sean Hannitys will defend him now?!

Entelechy on July 29, 2006 at 1:30 PM

Hey! We have a candidate to play Saddam. Will a little makeup, Mel could play the part.

GPE on July 29, 2006 at 1:34 PM

In the past Mel has said some things that made me go hmm, but I always thought of him as someone with his head on straight. Like it or not Mel, the Jews are God’s chosen people. Genesis chapter 12 states:

Now the LORD said to Abram,
“Go forth from your country,
And from your relatives
And from your father’s house,
To the land which I will show you;
And I will make you a great nation,
And I will bless you,
And make your name great;
And so you shall be a blessing;
And I will bless those who bless you,
And the one who curses you I will curse
And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed.”

There’s nobody out there who supports Israel like evangelical Christians do because we understand the reality of God’s promises to his people. Mel needs to get right.

Mojave Mark on July 29, 2006 at 1:53 PM

Looking to men for inspiration always seems to lead to this kind of disappointment. You have to separate an individual act from the individual himself. The credibility of the film, in this case, should not and is not related to the madness in the personal life of it’s director. I was worried from the start that idolizing Gibson was going to lead to no good.

TBinSTL on July 29, 2006 at 1:59 PM

Drunken rantings do not necessarily reflect what a person “really” thinks, especially if that person is an alcoholic, where there can be a Jekyll/Hyde difference between the drunk and sober person.

mikeyboss on July 29, 2006 at 2:15 PM

Man, I guess years of riding in a car Danny Castro Glover (even on film) will do a number on ya.

RightWinged on July 29, 2006 at 2:45 PM

Gash is right. A more comprehensive piece here.

Kid from Brooklyn on July 29, 2006 at 3:07 PM

The guy is a drunken, chainsmoking nutcase.

The Passion of the Christ was a great film. The MSM media hated it not because it was anti-semitic but because it was pro-Catholic and pro-Evangelical. The charges were just an excuse to bash conservative Christians.

His comments on Jews won’t bother libs, socialists, communists, Europeans, and Muslims a bit, who are all unified in being the most anti-Semitic/anti-Israeli people around. Look for the Passion of the Christ to become popular worldwide again.

januarius on July 29, 2006 at 3:31 PM

I told you so! I posted profusely at little green footballs that Gibson’s “The Passion” is anti-semitic, that the catholic church is anti-semitic for having elected a pope who was a nazi.

Over at LGF there is an omnious silence whenever criticism of catholic/christian anti-semitism is leveled. I was BANNED from lgf was daring to criticize the president for his criminal illegal invader policy, violations of the consitiution, illegal collusion between government, religion, corporate America, and yes, Catholicism. The Church has announced that it will ignore the law against harboring illegal invaders, with a nod from Bush..what a racket, they are treasonous criminals and a RICO suit is pending! Furthermore, when Israel attacked Lebanon, the world (even France and Saudi Arabia) stood with Israel..except for the terrorists and the Catholic Church!!!

However, it is truly frightening when partisan bushbot blogs (lgf/freeps) fall into eerie silence over valid and intelligent questions about Bush’s domestic policy. There are many fundamentalist Christians at lgf who swear an oath to Israel, etc. yet are also prone to anti-semitic tirades, a la Mel Gibson. To get excommunicated (banned) from lgf, all one needs do is question the government/church collusion on domestic policy, but the anti-semitic commentators are alloweed to remain.

The fundamentalist Christians will support Jews only so long as it serves their Replacement Theology plan. They want full authoritarian control. Opportunists, they cash in on Jewish humiliation with their blog circus, claiming that they want to help. But this story about Mel Gibson bares the true soul of the fundamentalist Christian.

Timothy Leary said:

“…if you just scratch the surface of a fundamentalist Christian, they’re going to really kill you for Jesus”

However messed up on acid Leary might have been, he apparently thinks straighter than many blog monkeys on reactionary blogs today(right or left).

Notice that this story is not posted at lgf. That is because they selectively ignore blatant facts. It is this ignorance (to ignore = ignorance) that makes me distrust them. They ae paid partisans, cashing in on the suffering of Jews and others with their media blog carnival, opportunists using it to score partisan points. Hot Air is fair enough to publish this story.

I hereby challenge lgf is explain how it can firecely defend the anti-semitic Church against any criticism and also defend Israel. How can they reconcile their fierce defense of Mel Gibson now? How can they stand for liberty when they refeuse to even discuss domestic issues that are ruining many American lives? I’ve got them sussed now, it took a long time to figure it out.

Once Israel settles the ME, the lgf/freeper crowd will move in and take it away. It is called Replacement Theology, and their support of the anti-semitic Catholic Church belies their true allegiance.

I told you so after “The Passion” was released that Mel Gibson and is a virulent anti-semite and so is the Church. LGF’ers/freepers open your eyes and ears. Listen to the haters whine and complain about movies like The DA VINCI CODE. Well, at least they can’t haul us in for inquisition, not yet anyway.

You can’t ban the truth.

“The moving hand having writ
Shall not go back and cancel half a line
Nor all your tears wash out a single word”

– The Rubyiat

Dahvid on July 29, 2006 at 3:40 PM

Hey wait a tic……isn’t this a wingnut blog?

You’re supposed to remain absolutely silent about stuff like this…not a peep…no opinion…nada…shhhhhhh…

Yannow…like Kos’ refusal to address Israel-Hezbollah.

How dare you expose one of “our own”.

The Ugly American on July 29, 2006 at 3:41 PM

I was BANNED from lgf

Geez, I wonder why. Couldn’t have been because you’re a ranting maniac.

docdave on July 29, 2006 at 3:50 PM

LOL …….

The Ugly American on July 29, 2006 at 4:00 PM

Unbelievable. That’s about all I can come up with on this. Wow!

SirGregor on July 29, 2006 at 4:03 PM

“Geez, I wonder why. Couldn’t have been because you’re a ranting maniac.”

When people have nothing of value to say, they hurl insults. You have nothing of value to say, which proves my point. Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Dahvid on July 29, 2006 at 4:06 PM

Dahvid, Mel Gibson sounded like a raving, gibbering lunatic in the above articles. And you sound a lot like him. Think about it.

EFG on July 29, 2006 at 4:07 PM

The Pope was NOT a Nazi. He was compelled to join the Hitler Youth.

From Wikipedia:

“Following his fourteenth birthday in 1941, Ratzinger joined the Hitler Youth as membership was legally required after December 1936.[2] According to one of Ratzinger’s biographers, the National Catholic Reporter correspondent John Allen, he was an unenthusiastic member who refused to attend meetings. His father was a bitter enemy of Nazism, because he believed it was in conflict with their faith.”

mikeyboss on July 29, 2006 at 4:09 PM

Dahvid sounds like a ranting nutcase lib who forgot to take his medication.

It’s funny: These liberals, socialists, commies, Muslims are the most virulently anti-Semitic/anti-Israeli and pro-terrorist around (listen to Hugo Chavez, Cindy Sheehan, and their ilk), but when a movie like the Passion of the Christ comes out that can be construed to be pro-Catholic and pro-Evangelical, they suddenly complain it is “anti-semitic.”

januarius on July 29, 2006 at 4:10 PM

Like mikeyboss said, if you’ve ever been on the receiving end of an alcoholic tirade, you’ll know they’re going for maximum damage points, and truth or personal belief has little to do with it.

Donnah on July 29, 2006 at 4:33 PM

Wow, I am amazed. Gibson does something stupid and the left is ready to hang him up in the town square so they can all gather round and point their fingers at the homophobic hypocrite Jew hater(like they all just LOVE Israel all of a sudden), and the right is ready to turn and walk away from him for fear of his stupidity somehow tarnishing them making the left hate them even more.

Anyone who has ever been around the block already knows that people do, and say, all sorts of stupid things when they are drunk. Doesn’t matter if you are a vile God hating “progressive” baby killer, or a preacher of some sort.

The icing on the cake in all of this for the DU crowd seems to be that Gibson is a “man of the Book”. Wow, what a revelation, some people who profess to follow Christ are not perfect. Who’d have thought it.

Anyway, this is in no way meant to defend the obviously poorly considered actions and statements of someone, but to simply state the biblical truth. There is an old saying that unbelievers like to make fun of that goes, “Christians aren’t perfect, they are forgiven”.

What that means is, I am not a Christian because I always think the right things, say the right things, or do the right things. I am a Christian because I accept and thank God for the fact that Jesus Christ willingly died in my place, taking upon Himself the debt that I owe that I could never pay, redeeming a filthy sinner like me with His very own blood.

Gibson will have to answer to the State for his foolish actions, and I doubt many fathers will be holding him up as a role model for their children anytime soon, but those who are looking down their noses and mocking him had better think hard about it because there is another old saying that goes, “but for the Grace of God, there go I”.

NRA4Freedom on July 29, 2006 at 4:35 PM

Dahvid, you wonder why your words aren’t received very well over here. Lets make a few comparisons to your words, and Mel Gibson and to those of out and out Jew haters.

Mel Gibson:

The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.

Dahvid:

See any similarities in these quotes? They both smear an entire group of people. Yeah, I know, I know, you didn’t say it, Timothy Leahry did. But you approvingly quoted him.

Anti-Semetic screed: You Jews are Christ killers.

Dahvid:

…the catholic church is anti-semitic for having elected a pope who was a nazi.

Christ Killers? Nazi accusations? Come on, you aren’t really going to tell me that your comment isn’t as libelous and unfair as the first, are you?

Protocols of the Elders of Zion: Jews and their kind have sworn an oath to tear down the goyim…

Dahvid:

There are many fundamentalist Christians at lgf who swear an oath to Israel,…

You know, when I read your words again, I am almost tempted to believe that what you are writting is a parody. But I don’t think it is. So I guess I have to believe you really mean what you wrote. About the oath, I mean. I’ve never heard of it. Anyone else? I doubt it. The next charge I suspect you will start slinging arround is the old “dual loyalties” charge. Against these fundamentalist Christians. Because I guess they are just like the Jews. You know, sneaky and underhanded. Or am I missing something here?

Anyway, I’m finished with this. Dahvid, I would like to think that you just got all riled up because of the crazy things Mel Gibson just got busted for. And that in a little while, you will calm down. Because what you have writtten so far is…questionable.

EFG on July 29, 2006 at 4:35 PM

Here’s a better SP clip:

venmax on July 29, 2006 at 4:36 PM

EFG—right on the money. If I didn’t know any better I’d have said Dahvid was Mel Gibson’s diversionary sock puppet.

mcg on July 29, 2006 at 4:41 PM

By the way, Allahpundit and anyone else who is wondering? “The Passion of the Christ” was not anti-semetic.

I’ve said my piece.

EFG on July 29, 2006 at 4:47 PM

Once again, South Park nails it

gash:
I was thinking the exact same thing.

violet on July 29, 2006 at 4:49 PM

NRA4Freedom—look, I understand that Mel Gibson and I are both in need of exactly the same redemption in Christ.

But here’s the thing. I’ve done and said a lot of stupid things when I’ve been drunk, but they tend to be manifestations of an imperfect thought life that I successfully inhibit when I’m sober. Any embarrassment I have felt stems not just from the acts themselves, but from the fact that they are a glimpse into my sinful inner life.

I can recall, for example, saying some pretty suggestive and outlandish things to women at parties (hence Mel’s “sugar tits” comment doesn’t seem hard to believe). But what I haven’t done is gone on an angry bigoted tirade, because I don’t have an predilection towards that. For example, I don’t have to consciously remind myself every day that, say, Jews are not, in fact, responsible for all the wars in the world.

Does Mel?

mcg on July 29, 2006 at 5:01 PM

The Passion was one of the hardest films to watch, maybe the hardest to watch that I’ve ever seen. But separating the artist from the art, it is not in any way anti-Semitic. Gibson himself may be. If you ask his father you certainly get that vibe, and Gibson’s own drunken tirade didn’t spring out of nothing. His uninhibited, alcohol-soaked mind came up with that stuff, hinting that it’s been there all along. So he sure looks like a full-blown anti-Semite. But I think it’s simplistic to render the film anti-Semitic based on Gibson’s drunken actions. That indictment doesn’t necessarily follow his other actions.

And, you’ll get charges of anti-Semitism nearly any time you deal with certain parts of the New Testament–the parts that identify “the Jews” as being against Jesus or plotting to kill Him. That identifier signifies the Jewish leadership, the Sanhedrin and so forth which were involved in trumping up the charges that led to His betrayal and death. It doesn’t indict all of the Jews living at the time and was never intended to. Such an indictment makes no sense, since Jesus, all of His inner circle disciples and as far as we know all of His followers until the crucifixion were all Jews themselves. The New Testament is no more anti-Semitic than it is anti-Christian.

Bryan on July 29, 2006 at 5:08 PM

To EFG and the other few who made reasonable responses.

EFG, you have scored some points with your moral equivalence arguement. However, as polite as you are, your response is still a personal attack, and distracts from the issues that I presented. Please prove me wrong, these are not facts that I like. Your moral equivalence arguement has been used very effectively against your position by the liberal left.

Notice that there is not once single response to the political issues that I raised. Plenty of personal remarks, but nothing addressing the issues.

Let’s make one thing perfectly clear: I did not publish a highly controversial passion play, known to incite hatred and violence against Jews, over their objections, and make millions of dollars from it. It was not I who was arrested for DUI and making hate speech. It is not I who defend this. I mind my own business, and yes, just like anybody else, I get angry when attacked.

Your moral equivalence arguement is flawed. My post was a reaction to the antisemitic film, the antisemitic hate speech, the antisemitic stance of the fundamentalists. I reacted to, but did not instigate. Yesterday several Jewish women were shot in Seattle. Clearly, I have much more to worry about, so there is no equivalence here. You Christians can produce your religious passion snuff films while Jews die. There is no equivalence when you blame a Jew for complaining about it. Mel Gibswon’s druken remarks reflect his subconscious and are a window into Christian fundamentalist fundamentalist mind.

I submit that the moral equivalence arguement, and the moralizing, are but distractions from the issue at hand. Ok, yes, I am not a perfect person, I agree. It is easy to belittle me, but apparently not so easy to answer the prickly points that I have raised. Chastising me will not distract from nor answer those questions.

Dahvid on July 29, 2006 at 5:34 PM

Dahvid,

You haven’t owned up to mischaracterizing the Pope as a Nazi.

Regarding alcohol: It does more than disinhibit the brain; it alters it. What comes out of a drunken mind is not the “subconscious”. Imagine a person raving while emerging from operative anesthesia. Noone would accuse that person of actually believing things said in that state. Alcohol’s effects on the brain are multiple and similar to those of general anesthesia.

Mr. Gibson may be anti-Semitic; but one can’t conclude that from angry spoutings when altered.

mikeyboss on July 29, 2006 at 5:40 PM

Bryan

The bible was interpolated by Christian despots responsible for the most horrible of pogroms of Jews throughout the ages this very day.

You are in denial. Your heart is in the right place, you are conflicted. The facts of history are clear and the new testament is not the original bible.

Today we are making amends. That is good.

Dahvid on July 29, 2006 at 5:44 PM

Very well said, Bryan.

-’My grandmother said often “if you want to know what people really think, listen to children and drunks”.’-my grandmother said the same thing. Are we related, Entelechy?!!!

It’s called “liquid courage”.

doingwhatican on July 29, 2006 at 5:45 PM

Amen to Bryan’s comment on all counts.

Mel’s tirade didn’t spring from nowhere. Those of you who are defending this wretch: his blood alcohol level was only .12 for heavens’ sake! That’s just not enough to disavow the kind of responsibility he bears for this incident.

And as usual, Entelechy nails it. You want to know what somebody really thinks, talk to them after a few drinks… or is that just a myth?

RD on July 29, 2006 at 5:58 PM

Care to link to the known incidents of violence that have been independently verified as caused by Passion of the Christ?

Your credibility about the current Pope being a “Nazi” has already been blown. And the whole idea that American mainstream observent Christians “blame Jews” for Christ’s cruxifiction also has no basis in fact.

Steven Spielberg is a great director…one of the all time great films is Schindler’s List. And then he pulls a boner and makes Munich … a film that is much more controversial than Passion given it bends over backwards to make moral equivalency arguments.

We can admire great works of art, which stand in isolation from the vagaries of the artist’s personal life. The art is frozen in time, even as the artist grows older, changes, etc.

The grand accomplishment of Charles Lindbergh and his Spirit of St Louis is not dimmed by his heading up the “America First” movement and accusing FDR, Brits and Jews for conspiring to bring the US into a “European” war.

You make assertions without substantiation, do not be surprised when people roll their eyes and tune you out. Your assertions carry as much weight as the ZOG conspiracists.

Darleen on July 29, 2006 at 6:03 PM

Fast facts on Judaochristianity–

-Jesus was Jewish.
-Jesus came to offer salvation to the Jews. Paul later expanded it to everyone (by the Spirit).
-If Jesus were not crucified, there would be no salvation.
-The crucifixion was carried out by Romans (Italians).
-Salvation makes you “spritually Jewish.”
-The nation of Israel has had a much longer relationship with God than the heathen nations (us).
-The character of those responsible for the formation of the Bible does not contradict with the Christian assertion that the Bible is 100% God-inspired. For example, King David, an adulterer and mass-murderer, wrote the Psalms.

JamesVersusEveryone on July 29, 2006 at 6:07 PM

RD

talk to them after a few drinks… or is that just a myth?

Yes. It is a myth. Like listening to your spouse talk in their sleep and drawing conclusions from it.

It doesn’t excuse Gibson’s behavior at all. Some people are happy drunks, some people turn downright mean. But Gibson cannot handle alcohol, especially if he’s driving down PCH at 3 am with a BAC of .12! (and if he has been sober much of the past 20 years since Tina Turner got him to quit, then this ‘falling off the wagon’ may have had a worse effect then the functioning alcoholic who needs a BAC of .10 to just act normal.)

Darleen on July 29, 2006 at 6:10 PM

I am in neither denial nor conflict. You, Dahvid, have swallowed The Da Vinci Code’s misread of history and slander of the church fathers whole.

Bryan on July 29, 2006 at 6:10 PM

You Christians can produce your religious passion snuff films while Jews die.

Hmmmm… are we witnessing a moslem moby at work here?

Darleen on July 29, 2006 at 6:13 PM

attn Allah!

Would you please trace “Dahvid’s” IP address? Where is “he”? I think he over-played his hand with the “snuff film” comment. No Jewish person I know would ever come up with such a anti-Christian line.

Darleen on July 29, 2006 at 6:16 PM

I’ll be more specific:

In addition to alcohol’s disinhibitory effects, it:

acts at opiate receptors (as do morphine, heroin, Lortab, etc)
antagonizes NMDA receptors (as do PCP, Ketamine, etc)
has other poorly understood effects

I hate to be a nag, but this is an important point. Grandma was right about most, but not all things. :O)

mikeyboss on July 29, 2006 at 6:16 PM

Doingwhatican: your grandparents were mistaken. For every dardest thing a child said, there’s another time he either kept quiet or lied.

I don’t care about Mel Gibson, and I never saw POTC. What I do want to dispel is the notion that a normal person’s lowered inhibition due to having a buzz in any way relates to what the brain of a full-blown alcoholic can come up with when he’s on a binge and raging. It’s not ‘letting it all hang out’; it’s crazed.

Donnah on July 29, 2006 at 6:28 PM

As someone who had an alcoholic parent, I can testify that when someone’s liver is damaged by alcohol, mood behavior swings happen as a result of abnormal liver enzymes, which may be triggered by any BAC. It may not reflect upon the character of, or represent the behavior of, the person when sober.

The term “angry drunk” or “belligerant drunk” is a relection not on the individual, but on the state of inebriation and blood chemistry created by a damaged liver.

An individual’s sensorium — his perceptions, his behavior, his responses — are controlled by his brain chemistry, which the liver enzymes, if abnormal, can affect.

In other words, one might say that Gibson’s “liver” was talking if he truly is an alcoholic.

This explanation does NOT excuse Gibson for his alleged behavior, either the act of driving while drunk, or his behavior when arrested.

As you you, Dahvid, I find your comments to be offensive as well as ignorant and deceitful. Further, I have no wish (nor intention) to satisfy your juvinile “need” to pick a fight with us, so don’t bother responding to me.

georgej on July 29, 2006 at 6:37 PM

Additionally, because of the progressive nature of alcoholism, if you stop drinking at Stage 2 and then remain sober for 50 years, when you again take a drink you will not be back at the starting block but rather right back at Stage 2, or 3, or wherever you left off.

OK, done harping.

Donnah on July 29, 2006 at 6:46 PM

Who the hell cares about what Mel said about Jews? He was driving drunk, 87 in a 45, endangering others, and you leap to his defense and make excuses for him because he is a Christian. Throw his ass in jail. If he had killed someone, would you still be defending him?

Vanya on July 29, 2006 at 7:08 PM

Vanya,

I don’t see anyone defending his driving under the influence. And how do you presume to know that someone’s motivation, were they to do so, would be that he’s a Christian?

mikeyboss on July 29, 2006 at 7:12 PM

Darleen

Behold Darleen praying to alah. We’ve got you sussed, Darleen. It is always the one who hits the hardest….

I am not Muslim, I am Jewish. And you are presumably Christian (yet you pray to alah). The Passion IS as snuff film of the most brutal, and HAS been used to instigate pogroms against Jews. Do you deny this fact?

Do you know how angry it makes me to have to endure that film, Darlene, that passion play that has ben used to incite the torture and death of thousands of innocent Jews? And then have the producer of the film go into an anti-semitic tirade, followed by the likes of Darleen screaming for more, more, more. Darleen is leading the mob, carrying a pitchfork and torch. I rest my case.

Behold Darleen leading the pogrom mob as they gang up on the Jew. What is playing out here is the exact same psychology that has led to pogroms. With Darleen inciting hatred and violence of the hysterical crowd. I thought it was only Muslims that behaved that way. Guess not.

It is really shocking all the hatred.

Dahvid on July 29, 2006 at 7:50 PM

Hey, at least the guy wrote an apology and it sounds like he is going to rehab. Alcoholism is a very real problem. Not many anti-Semites actually apologize after they say something anti-Semitic while sober, this guy said it while stone drunk and his ego did not stop him from realizing he was wrong.

Savage on July 29, 2006 at 7:56 PM

I have had problems with Nel Gibson from the time I read a few years ago that he did not know if his English-born wife was eligible to go to heaven because she is an Anglican. His father’s views are looney and reactionary (I would say fascist) Catholic,but I always believed it was unfair to tar the son with this. I did not see “The Passion” because it is too “Catholic” for my tastes, concentrating on the suffering of the cruxification to the expense of Jesus’s message and the miracle of the resurrection. Nonetheless, I was delighted by its commercial success, given the hostility of the elite cultural arbitrars towards it.

In academia, where I reside, the reaction of my colleagues was universally hostile, with the film universally considered to be anti-semitic, although none of them saw it. Although I did not see the film either, I defended it by noting that the film was taken almost verbatum from scripture and therefore it could not be anti-semitic unless the scriptures themselves are anti-semetic (which I definitely believe is not the case) and that as everyone but the Romans were Jewish in the movie, both the “good” and “bad” guys were Jews as well as Jesus, himself.

Although my view of the movie has not changed as a result of Gibson’s misbehavior, I must admit that those believing that Gibson is an anti-semtie who appears to share some of the noxious views of his father appear to have handed a smoking gun.

ptolemy on July 29, 2006 at 7:58 PM

Dahvid,

I’m sorry you feel ganged up on. But it seems to me you are reading too much into people’s comments. You may be right that some have used the story of Jesus’s death to incite hatred against Jews. But that doesn’t mean the story itself is intended for that purpose, or that the majority of Chrisitians take away that message.

I don’t know Darleen, but I’ve read all the posts in this thread, and see no language that could be construed as “leading the mob, carrying a pitchfork”, or “inciting hatred and violence”.

Mike

mikeyboss on July 29, 2006 at 8:05 PM

Thank you all for patient and detailed replies to my bating comment.

I’m not disputing Gibson’s mood, just whether that mood swing would necessarily express itself as cracks about “the Jews” unless he were himself convinced of it in some way. I doubt his expression was random; why that specifically after all, if he himself didn’t have those thoughts on the brain?

Paranoia can take many forms, so why does his form take a form that centers around the conspiracy of “the Jews”? (“Who knows? Who knows why manic people say the things they do?”)

Perhaps it’s enough for him to have grown up in a household that espoused these ideas, I don’t know. Perhaps that’s all it takes to act out those ideas when under the influence of a bad liver and a modest amount of alcohol — even when he himself is disgusted by those same ideas.

But I don’t have conclusive evidence that he really disavows those ideas in private; nor enough here, IMO, to pin my hopes on his liver condition.

I’m trying to work with you I promise, but so far this is straining credulity. Perhaps I need to do some reading on the subject… (no, not the Protocols of the Elders of Zion!)

RD on July 29, 2006 at 8:13 PM

Dahvid.

You really need to drop this issue for a day or two until you calm down. Seriously. You are pissed and it is affecting your judgement.

You are seeing what you want to see. You are angry and looking for evidence to support your position, and you will and are seeing it, even if it doens’t really exist.

For example, you say that Darleen is praying to Allah. Why? Because she wrote the following?

attn Allah!

Dahvid, you see this as proof that she is praying to Allah and leading a pogrom. You want to see this, so you do. But it isn’t the case.

Dahvid, this is what Darleen was saying. She said “Attention Allah.” Meaning “Allahpundit.” Meaning the guy who wrote this whole column. If you don’t believe me, go to the top and look at the name there. Allahpundit. AKA “Allah” in the blogosphere. She is asking Allah/Allahpundit, a guy who has administrative rights on this blog, to check your IP address to try to see if you are who you say you are. Because you sound wild enough to her that she thinks you are either a sock puppet for the left or the islamists, or she thinks you are who you say you are, but are unhinged.

That is what she is saying. She isn’t praying to “Allah.”

Dahvid, if you are who you say you are, again, take a break. Relax. Go away for a day or two, collect yourself, and then come back. Because if you interpreted Darleen the way you did, brother, I have to tell you, you are seriously misreading things.

EFG on July 29, 2006 at 8:16 PM

I think we’ve rediscovered an important way to discredit the Hollywood left, and the Hollywood freak-right, for that matter. Who cares if the judges keep letting them off, if we can just get our hands on unredacted copies of their arrest reports when they go on benders like this?

Kralizec on July 29, 2006 at 8:24 PM

Mel probably did all this so his attorney could enter a temporary insanity plea, if at all necessary. American judges are prone to dish out the most lenient of sentences when Hollywood stars are concerned. If a black were to be in Mel’s shoes, God help him.

Birdseye on July 29, 2006 at 9:38 PM

Mel will go unpunished. He is a Hollywood superstar. That’s American justice.

Birdseye on July 29, 2006 at 9:43 PM

That is why Gibson was so adamant about killing the anti-Semite buzz when the movie was released, because the target audience, mainstream Christians, would have been extremely put-off by anti-Semitism.

And as for Mel’s statements while drunk, I spent a good portion of my life as a self-destructive, anti-social drunk. When I was drunk, my primary concerns were to be as anti-social as possible, and to say anything I thought would piss people off, hopefully provoking them to the point of taking a swing at me. It had absolutely nothing to do with anything I believed or had given much thought. It was purely to get a reaction.

B Moe on July 29, 2006 at 10:46 PM

Dahvid

as one “yid” to another…..listen to EFG and chill for a day….shalom….

robo on July 29, 2006 at 11:00 PM

B Moe, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. Alcoholism is a serious problem for a lot of people. Addiction doesn’t descriminate between the rich, poor, Christian, Jew, fat, skinny, black or the white. Mel Gibson is just another victim of his own self destructive behavior in my opinion. Now, he’s already publicly apologized, and that’s almost good enough for me. I just hope he really seeks the help he needs.

Savage on July 29, 2006 at 11:02 PM

Folks:

If the guy thinks Darleen is praying to the moslem god when she asks the board owner/admin about the IP address, he is paranoid, stupid or both; no point in responding to him further.

Chelle

ChelleFiche on July 29, 2006 at 11:28 PM

Okay – so another theory is that Mel made those comments about the Jews just to lash out, not believing those comments himself, but perhaps hoping they might prompt the police officer to abandon his professional conduct and lash “back” at him in some way.

Meditate on that, I will…

Meanwhile, after Mel’s apology, I still wonder what he himself believes. I don’t accept that an apology necessarily makes that clear. But so be it -

RD on July 30, 2006 at 12:04 AM

“Folks:

Chelle”

Good thinking because wiretapping and conspiracy are a felony. This just goes to show how dangerous fundamentalsm is.

Dahvid on July 30, 2006 at 12:33 AM

I just realized who the Ugly American is.

Hi there!

-T

The Therapist on July 30, 2006 at 1:28 AM

Dahvid said:

Behold Darleen praying to alah. We’ve got you sussed, Darleen. It is always the one who hits the hardest……

Darleen is leading the mob, carrying a pitchfork and torch. I rest my case.

Dahvid, aren’t you the same guy that just said:

Two things, dahvid. 1) You’re a ranting lunatic. Seek Valium. 2)This blog is made of concrete. It’s not gonna burn. Try the arson someplace else.

Pablo on July 30, 2006 at 1:31 AM

On a DUI? With a .12 BAC?

Pablo on July 30, 2006 at 1:34 AM

Tee Hee!

*blushes*…..ain’t he the cutest!

The Ugly American on July 30, 2006 at 2:09 AM

When I was in a fraternity at Syracuse there were some members who should have refrained from alcohol, as I always have done. Sober, they were pleasant and reasonable. Drunken, they were obnoxious, irrational, belligerent louts. I called them booze-os.
Several years ago my ex-wife worked with Mr. Gibson in the Man Without a Face, filmed here in Maine. She had a small part in the film. She even had breakfast with him. He was kind, cheerful, and professional to her and other cast and crew members.
From what I can see, this unseemly episode seems an aberation. He has also issued an apology that is apparently sincere. This time I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt. But let’s pray he wises up, sobers up, and stops. Nobody likes a booze-o.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on July 30, 2006 at 2:21 AM

King David, an adulterer and mass-murderer, Mohamed a pedophile…and they blame us poor mortals because we voted for W.!
Nobody who is willing to work with Danny Glover side by side is mentally sane.

Ropera on July 30, 2006 at 2:45 AM

Gibson makes a statement:

“After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said, and I apologize to anyone who I have offended. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health.”

Alex K on July 30, 2006 at 3:06 AM

well for all you Democrats that want to make hay

At least he apologized profusely

It was a deep apology

you can accept it or make a political statement out of it

Those that want to punish Mel should equally punish

the Kennedys

The Clintons (Bill had many episodes in Arkansas)

Joe Biden

The Gores (son was arrested for dealing drugs daughter fell drunk and went partially nude at Cannes Film Festival)

And another long long list

EricPWJohnson on July 30, 2006 at 10:21 AM

Well, good for Gibson for making an apology for those unnamed “things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable.” LOL @ GPE! I think you’re right, we have our “Saddam” for the movie.

Dahvid, I also post at LGF and the only way you can get banned is by being crude, rude and insulting. I just ran through your rantings here without reading them, but one thing is certain, you need your own blog.

moonsbreath on July 30, 2006 at 12:07 PM

Vanya, I can see your point. Until you brought it up all anyone here talked about was his comments. In America you are free to believe as you wish, as long as you do not break any laws. You can be an anti semite, a black panther, a KKK person etc. Just don’t break the laws. Driving under the influence and ging nearly twice the speed limit is pretty serious. I would like to see the Judge give Gibson some community service, have to ride along with a paramedic squad to pick up the pieces after some drunken ass rams another car. Make him speak at schools about why drinking and driving is wrong. And not private schools, but inner city schools. That, with counseling, may help wake the guy up to responsible behavior.

I see Dahvid is back to spew hateed again.
Dahvid is a rabid, insult hurling person. Any good points he may bring up are drowned out by his delusional paranoia.
He is better the BoB though. At least Dahvid writes several paragraphs and then replies to others.
He tries to poison the views other people have by using the extremely old and tired “Look! see (persons name)? See (persons name) is (fill in blank) and (fill in blank). They beleive in (insert lame comparison) and hate all (name of minority group). This (persons name) hates the jews! Here is the proof (some ad hominem attacks of person based on phrases taken out of context). Does your mother know of (persons name) hatered of Jews?”

Etc Eyc.
I assume, based on the vitriol Dahvid has written, that he was kicked from LGF because of his extreme self hatred which is manifested as verbal violance lashed out against everyone else. I can say that because, like KOS, if you are not with him then you are against him.

Darleen may be onto something. Dahvid may be a Muslim plant who takes on an extreme position and writes like a psycho just so people will think ALL Jews are like him. This way they will start hating Jews and his Pogram will be complete. The way Dahvid writes does seem like a first year psych student trying to convince people of that.

Wyrd on July 30, 2006 at 12:19 PM

I feel sorry for Gibson. He might be an ugly drunk or he might be cracking up. A relative who did autopsies on drunks said their brains often fall apart when you remove them, so they are no good for study.

That doesn’t discount the value of The Passion which reflects the story I believe in, and doesn’t make me hate Jews.

I have a special gratitude for Jews, because they preserved their magnificent religion, the history, prayers and psalms raising each generation to continue the religion that is the foundation of my Christian faith.

Jesus said ‘I came not to change the law’ and that says to me that the Old Testament must contain within its pages the same truths of the New Testament. Christ, I believe, was the unfolding of truths already there.

I think The Passion is so emotional it is cathartic. People who believe Christianity is a dangerous cult fear the film’s effectiveness at taking the viewer into the Passion. They hate Mel for making such a film.

I am grateful he made it because it enriches me.

As to Mel’s prejudice that his own wife may not go to Heaven, Billy Graham also sincerely believe that without certain professions, you may not enter the Kingdom. That is Graham’s right, his faith, and he will not kill you, or shoot up your office or blow up your airplane to get the point across.

I don’t think Mel will start killing Jews either. If he did, I will personally volunteer to join the posse and remove him. Someone ought to get him to stop driving. Now.

entagor on July 30, 2006 at 12:27 PM

Bryan:”The New Testament is no more anti-Semitic than it is anti-Christian.” Well said.
Mel Gibson is human. He screwed up. If he is an anti-Semite like his father, and it comes out when he’s drunk,now we know.
Might be a good reason to quit drinking, Mel. But if you actually hate Jews, drinking may be the least of your problems. I mean, people quit drinking. Do they ever stop hating?

Doug on July 30, 2006 at 1:58 PM

This is truly appalling. But seriously, has Mel Gibson ever been looked upon as some sort of Christian saint?? He has always been crazy. He has always come across as a bit looney in interviews.

Just because he made a movie about Christ doesn’t make him suddenly a Mother Teresa. He is a movie star and they are all crazy imo.

He should be ashamed of himself though, and it seems he is.

Rightwingsparkle on July 30, 2006 at 4:37 PM

Has anyone here seen the oddity in the trailer for “Apocalypto”?
If you freeze frame and go frame by frame,at the part where the mud-caked men are lined up there is one frame with Mel hanging on the right end guy,goofy grin in his face with some hand-rolled cig hanging from his mouth.

It is truly odd, you cannot see it in regular speed,but it is there,

bbz123 on July 30, 2006 at 8:57 PM

Birdseye?

I work in the judiciary in CA. Not knowing all the factors of Gibson’s arrest, the minimal will be two counts of DUI (VC23152a.. driving under influence VC23152b driving with a BAC greater than .08)… the DA may add a reckless (due to excessive speed) and even a PC148 for mouthing off and not cooperating with the officer.

As this is a FIRST DUI, it is misdemeanor. SOP for anyone Gibson will probably plead guilty to one or two of the counts (usually the “b” count), have the others dismissed… a fine of a bit more than $1500, jail time for whatever his book time was (ie one day jail with one day credit) plus firsttime DUI education (6 months license suspension plus classes and community service) and three years probation.

That is standard for 1st time DUI. For anyone.

And I think the kerfuffle over his booking pic is crazy. In my county (not Los Angeles) NO POLICE REPORT is ever made public prior to charges filed in court, and thus part of the public record. If someone wants the report prior, they have to submit a written request to the DA.

Darleen on July 31, 2006 at 1:17 AM

Well, after reading “Dahvid’s” weird dissembling, IMHO he is a moslem moby pretending to be a Jew.

meshugga schmuck.

Darleen on July 31, 2006 at 1:19 AM

Gibson made many millions by being outrageous so what else would you expect when he was ‘getting stupid’ on alcohol? His remarks were reprehensible, the apology necessary, and it is in the courts hands now.

I will not join in debating Dahvid. He has a good excuse for his paranoia, unfortunately.

DannoJyd on July 31, 2006 at 5:35 AM

It’s been a good week for the Isalamis; if they wanted a provocation to set Jews & Christians at one another’s throat, allah akbar!, here comes good ol’ Mel.
Everybody, keep your eye on the common enemy.

dhimwit on July 31, 2006 at 9:41 AM