Report: Mel Gibson erupts with Jew-hate after DWI arrest

posted at 1:02 pm on July 29, 2006 by Allahpundit

Remember the fuhrer, er, furor over whether The Passion of the Christ was anti-semitic?

We have our answer.

Sounds like his character in Lethal Weapon wasn’t that much of a stretch:

The report says Gibson told the deputy, “You mother f****r. I’m going to f*** you.” The report also says “Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he ‘owns Malibu’ and will spend all of his money to ‘get even’ with me.”

The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: “F*****g Jews… The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.” Gibson then asked the deputy, “Are you a Jew?”

The deputy became alarmed as Gibson’s tirade escalated, and called ahead for a sergeant to meet them when they arrived at the station. When they arrived, a sergeant began videotaping Gibson, who noticed the camera and then said, “What the f*** do you think you’re doing?”

A law enforcement source says Gibson then noticed another female sergeant and yelled, “What do you think you’re looking at, sugar tits?”

We’re told Gibson took two blood alcohol tests, which were videotaped, and continued saying how “f****d” he was and how he was going to “f***” Deputy Mee.

LA cops have helped cover up Hollywood scandals for a hundred years so it’s no great shock to learn this stuff was redacted from the initial police report. Although the excuse given — that publicizing it would cause problems for Jews, not Gibson — is unusually precious.

TMZ has PDFs of the redacted pages. The anti-semitic stuff is on page 2. There are no identifying marks that prove the document’s provenance, but TMZ’s sources must be pretty solid. They’re staring at the mother of all libel cases if not, and I’m sure they know it.

I give it, oh, three days until Steven Spielberg issues a statement saying how “disappointed” he is, a week until Gibson’s Nazi-apologist father backs him up, and three weeks until Gibson does an interview with Diane Sawyer blaming his remarks on his “frustration” with Bush’s foreign policy.

And a month until he starts writing for the Huffington Post.

Update: Nice choice of photo by the Daily News, by the way. Really captures the crazy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

mcg,

No, it’s a pretty well documented fact that by far, Muslim’s attempting to conquer others for Islam accounts for the VAST majority of “wars” the world has ever seen.

NRA4Freedom on July 31, 2006 at 12:25 PM

Nobody mentions the attacks on Gibson and “The Passion ..” by the ADF and other Jewish groups. I read that at a Hollywood screening of the crucifixion scenes, viewers were cursing, laughing, and throwing objects at the screen. Hardly a reponse you would expect to viewing such a horrific and reality-based portrayal of Christ’s, and other victims, actual sufferings.

Maybe Gibson is just reflecting the bitterness he must feel over the treatment he received for a portrayal of his Lord’s suffering? If so, he is only human for deeply resenting the unfair characterization of his remarkable movie by the secular Jews who own and run Hollywood. Sadly, even religious Jews were a part of the attack on the film.

As an earlier poster wrote, what attacks on Jews resulted from Christians viewing “The Passion . .”? None I believe.

How many attacks have been made on Jews by Muslims just in this country since 9/11, as recounted by Michele?

Margaret McC on July 31, 2006 at 1:01 PM

What an ugly thread of comments.

I have one question for those leaping to Mad Mel’s defense with the “he was drunk and didn’t mean it argument”:

If I gave you a bottle of Patron Silver and left you in a closet with a couple limes and some salt for a few hours … do you think any of you – even one of you – would emerge later singing the praises of John Kerry, announcing that Cindy Sheehan was right all along, and declaring that we need higher taxes and more gun control … and that Ted Kennedy is deliriously sexy?

(Assuming, of course, you’re not one of the neo-lib trolls and/or you just really dig Ted Kennedy. You perv.)

Any possibility? Any chance that what will come out of your mouth will be the exact opposite of what you claim to believe now? No matter how drunk you are?

(To be fair, get me drunk enough and I might admit my gay crush on Ned Lamont. But I like Mentos and find Markos’ nipple-twisting to be rather stimulating)

Well?

And if not – why not?

The summary of the synopsis of the conclusion: the “Mel didn’t really mean it” defense may be the single dumbest thing I’ve heard all week. And I’ve visited Deb Frisch’s web site … so that’s really sayin’ sumthin’.

Of course he meant it. It was, for once, the truth of Mel Gibson. Unvarnished. Do with it what you will … but don’t hide from that obvious truth.

Me, I’m just bummed. And I’m selling my Mad Max action figure collection.

Professor Blather on July 31, 2006 at 6:54 PM

I can recall, for example, saying some pretty suggestive and outlandish things to women at parties (hence Mel’s “sugar tits” comment doesn’t seem hard to believe). But what I haven’t done is gone on an angry bigoted tirade, because I don’t have an predilection towards that. For example, I don’t have to consciously remind myself every day that, say, Jews are not, in fact, responsible for all the wars in the world.

Exactly.

Now … can someone pass me some of whatever Dahvid is smoking? That’s gotta be some good stuff.

Professor Blather on July 31, 2006 at 7:04 PM

Alchoholism is a disease. Drunk driving is a crime. Personal responsibility is grown up stuff.

Mel’s apology says he owns his behavior. And he will suffer adverse consequences from this.

Professor B, although I generally agree with your pithy comments, here I must beg to differ on this topic. Alcoholics will say and do things in blackouts that they never, never would do when sober. Blacking out is not passing out. The person walks and talks and looks present, but none of the behavior is remembered at all.

Lots of folks think they understand alcoholism, but really know very little about its symptoms, progression, or treatment. And the answer for alcoholism recovery is not “gee, I can’t help it.” There is help in programs like AA – and when someone is actually working one of those programs, personal responsibility is central. I have family members (recovering and not) from the disease of alcoholism, and the difference is palpable. Contrast Gibson’s behavior with, say, Kennedy’s. (Pick one.)

skeeter on July 31, 2006 at 7:34 PM

Prof.,

I’m assuming you are not an alcoholic, so it is difficult for you to understand the loss of control and radical personality changes experienced by some of us when intoxicated. It’s difficult for me to make this argument, because I used to believe otherwise.

You obviously are intelligent, and if you’re interested, I’d suggest you research the subject a little. The brains of alcoholics/addicts are different, anatomically and biochemically, from normal folks.

You probably would not do something, while drunk, that violated your morals, or was entirely out of character. I would, and so would most alcoholics I know.

Mel may very well have meant every word he said. But if he’s a real alcoholic, I wouldn’t count on it.

mikeyboss on July 31, 2006 at 10:04 PM

Some people have made some strong arguements as to whether or not Mel meant what he said. Let’s give Mel every last benefit of the doubt we can. Let’s assume it really was only the drink and his alcoholism that made him say those things. Even with all of that, his apology is not convincing me.

He says he regrets the drinking and driving, and the way he lost control to the drinking again, and regrets how he treated the police. But almost no-one is freaked out by the idea of Mel getting a DUI. Disappointed, but not freaked out. Even Mel getting lippy and crude with talk of “sugar tits”, “my life is fucked”, and “I own all of Malibu and I’ll get you,” isn’t what has every body all freaked out. It’s the anti-semitism that has everybody freaked out, and it is the one issue he does not directly confront in his appology.

This is the 800lb gorilla, and it is this gorilla that Mel is ignoring. Yeah, he says I regret all of my comments, but that doesn’t cut it. He is directly confronting all of the minor issues, but skimming over the big one.

If he wants people to take his appology seriously, he has to confront what he said directly. Anything else feels like spin to me.

And I hate having to write that.

EFG on July 31, 2006 at 10:52 PM

Allahpundit, I posted something here quite a while ago, and it hasn’t shown up. Did it get trapped by a spam filter, or has it been lost for good? Thanks.

EFG on July 31, 2006 at 11:36 PM

It was true 3000 years ago and it’s true today: In vino veritas. I live with an alcoholic. He drinks, he says horrible and bizarre things. If he says them when he’s drunk and wouldn’t say them when not, what difference does it make? Is that supposed to be an excuse?

You can’t possibly be serious. One must be an alcoholic to do things out of character while drunk? Please. Part of character is the self-suppression of words and actions that are inappropriate to a situation. Alcohol removes that ability to suppress for both alcoholic and non-alcoholic alike. If an alcoholic has pickled his brain to the point where he is more inclined to say horrible things when drunk, I, personally, am not that sympathetic.

kmcguire on August 1, 2006 at 9:03 AM

All I have to say is:
BRAVEHEART

BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!

Kramer on August 1, 2006 at 9:39 AM

He might be a drunk, might not be a drunk.
If he is he can carpool with every elected person that works for our government.
Freakin’ Lushes.

Kramer on August 1, 2006 at 9:43 AM

He needs to get help and I hope he does.So does Jesse Jackson,who called New York “Hymietown”, while stone-cold sober.

lizzee on August 1, 2006 at 10:07 AM

This is not about a film. Nor is it about artistic license. This is about real life and recognizing the consequences hurtful words can have. It’s about existing in harmony in a world that seems to have gone mad.

World B. Free on August 1, 2006 at 11:36 AM

Not defending Mel here; but wouldn’t it have been better to show the actual pictures from the night of the arrest instead of his Saddam impersonation?

Cary on August 1, 2006 at 12:18 PM

I’m so sick of all this Politically Correct shite!
Words cut deep like a knife, Blah, Blah.
Get over it and move on.
Tell a gay joke every now and then, make fun of somebody.
I was raised Baptist for Gods sake, there is plenty of funny stuff to say about us.
Go on, say something funny about Baptists.
Some Baptists aren’t even allowed to dance. “Crazy if you ask me”

Kramer on August 1, 2006 at 12:52 PM

Sorry, but I’m not even close to buying it.

To start spewing some rather bizarre anti-Semitic comments after a few beers … and then to pretend that those feelings are not real and that its entirely the beer’s fault … stretches credulity to the breaking point.

In Vino Veritas. Exactly. Unless one of you seriously wants to argue that you’d vote for Dennis Kucinich after a few beers. Alcohol in excess lowers inhibitions and disintegrates moral boundaries … but it doesn’t make us think things that aren’t there. Sure, I might jump on Sarah Michelle Gellar after a few pints. But that’s because I already want to. Really badly. She’s kinda cute.

I spent 19 years living with an alcoholic father. I heard him say plenty of awful things. And every single one of them came right from the heart. He was a bastard. The alcohol just let him be himself.

Just like Mel.

Speaking of Mel … is it rude to point out something we should all agree on – that anyway acting that nuts with a .12 BAC is really just a big girlyman? C’mon. I could drink that much and perform brain surgury.

What a weenie. What a bigoted weenie. What a girlyman lightweight bigoted weenie.

Professor Blather on August 1, 2006 at 2:15 PM

Everyone has been a racist at sometime or another. We are in a fallen state… philosophers discuss this often; the problem of evil.

The more important issue is how one resolves it among themselves – do they work at their inner attitudes or do they go on a rampage with no regard for others?

I’m sure Mel has felt regret and has asked for forgiveness in the court that counts (for those that hate him – your court doesn’t count).

Those who hate him… cast a bunch of stones on him – but quickly and don’t let Amnesty International catch you at your dirty deed.

: )

ar_basin on August 1, 2006 at 2:47 PM

Professor Blather, K Mcquire,

Might I suggest that you look into Al-Anon? It is an organization for friends and families of alcoholics – those that have been affected by someone else’s drinking. Your comments indicate that you have been affected, and continue to carry those effects forward in your lives/attitudes/ perceptions.

Living with an alcoholic did not make me (or you) an expert in alcoholism – what it did was make me bitter, angry, and hurt. And for that there is a solution.

Al Anon.

Your pronouncements about Mel and about your father, made with such conviction, could be judgements make as easily about a person with Tourette’s syndrome. And would be just as mistaken.

I doubt that this thread will convice you to get some healing from the conviction that you grew up with a bastard or that Mel is one. But I have seen overwhelming evidence that often (not always, but very often) these are not bad people, but sick ones. And they often say things when drinking with an objective of pushing buttons, not of revealing deep basic truth. And that’s if they even remember them at all. Given Gibson’s father’s positions on Jews, these foul comments would have been an easy reach.

As for your other judgement:

If Mel is an alcoholic, (and he says he is, so who are we to disbelieve him) he may be suffering from a typical progression of this disease. Often alcoholic have a tremendous capacity for drink in the early stages. They are the ones who drive the other drunks home. (And I personally know neurosurgeons, now recovering in AA, who DID perform brain surgery drunk.) Then as the liver and brain chemistry changes progress, they suddenly have

capacity for alcohol to speak of. It’s not a matter of being a girlyman, it is a stage of the disease.

skeeter on August 2, 2006 at 2:44 AM

Okay, Okay……..
Let’s all calm down.
How soon we forget about the important things.
Such as:
5,000 Illegals just invaded our border, robbed, murdered, and demanded our rights.
Happens every day!
Wake the F up and forget about one little drunken Aussie.

Kramer on August 2, 2006 at 8:43 AM