Breaking: One dead in Jewish Federation shootings

posted at 8:36 pm on July 28, 2006 by Allahpundit

At least three were shot, and one of them is/was 17 weeks pregnant. Gateway Pundit is all over it.

Don’t jump to conclusions. But standby.

Update: Uh oh:

Sources told KING 5 the suspect is a Pakistani man with a criminal background. He is from the Tri-Cities but his citizenship is unknown.

At least five are injured.

Update: Uh oh again:

One witness, who declined to give her name, said a man walked into the Jewish Federation building with a gun, said he was upset about what was going on in Israel, then opened fire. After the shootings, the man said to call 911, the witness said. The witness said the man identified himself as an American Muslim.

Update: The boss is having deja vu.

Update: KING5 in Seattle has video. Here’s a still of cops with the suspect.

seattle.jpg

Update: The Seattle Times has the most detailed report:

A man got through security at the Jewish Federation and told staff members, “I’m a Muslim American; I’m angry at Israel,” then began shooting, according to Amy Wasser-Simpson, the vice president for planning and community services for the Jewish Federation…

Several witnesses said they saw a man walk up to the entrance of the building and shoot a woman in the leg. The man then walked into the building and made it to the roof. Witnesses said they heard one shot while the man was on the roof. The man then went back inside, and witnesses said they heard several more shots. Police surrounded the building, and police snipers stationed themselves on top of nearby buildings.

Update: Sounds like a lone gunman: “Rich Pruitt said police are confident that only one shooter was involved.”

Update: More from the Seattle Times:

“One of the receptionists told me that he shot her and then demanded that she call 911,” the employee said. “He told the police that it was a hostage situation and he wanted us to get our weapons out of Israel.”

Update: Here’s video of the arrest. They slap the cuffs on at about 1:20.

Update: Vanderleun’s blogging it from Seattle.

Update: All five of the wounded are women. Three are in critical condition. The person who was killed was also a woman. Hmmm.

Update: Like clockwork:

“We believe it’s a lone individual acting out his antagonism,” said David Gomez, who heads the FBI’s counterterrorism efforts in Seattle.

Authorities did not release any details about the alleged gunman and would not discuss possible motives.

“There’s nothing to indicate that it’s terrorism related,” Gomez said. “But we’re monitoring the entire situation.”

Update: How did he get in there?

Police said they didn’t know if all the people who were wounded were inside the building. They also don’t know how the suspect got into the building, which is said to be one of the tightest security buildings in Seattle.

The Seattle Times says it was easy: “The employee said the man apparently was buzzed through a security door by a receptionist.”

Update: According to KOMO and KGW, the gunman was the one who called 911.

Update: The gunman’s been identified as Naveed Haq. The boss runs down the details.

Comments

BASTARDS! Who ever did this…

EFG on July 28, 2006 at 8:41 PM

the entire jewish community is now as nervous as can be
that the cat was a American Muslim is really going to cause trouble

Defector01 on July 28, 2006 at 9:02 PM

BASTARDS! Who ever did this…

I think that’s pretty clear now. It seems he was a lone crank and at least right now it doesn’t appear to have been a “cell” attack.

If that type of attack does occur I wonder if it will wake up the sleeping?

Of course, if John Kerry was president, this would not have happened….

ScottG on July 28, 2006 at 9:21 PM

Time for everyone to arm themselves and next time this happens just start shooting back. If we are not going to rid our country of these vermin then we must be ready to fight back at any given moment,period.

bbz123 on July 28, 2006 at 9:26 PM

Hey Defector01, did you mention earlier that you were studying to be an atorney?

EFG on July 28, 2006 at 9:32 PM

Start shooting at whom? The arrested suspect? Pick a random person off the street who belongs to a certain religion? I may or may not be armed, but I sure wouldn’t do it. Unless there was open gunfire on the street where the shooters were endangering me, my family, or neighbors, the guns – if I have them – would stay where they are.

ScottG on July 28, 2006 at 9:36 PM

I would not sit back and wait for the police to get there,ScottG, while I watched people get shot. If anyone in that group had the ability to take him out before he shot more people it is the right thing to do.

bbz123 on July 28, 2006 at 9:40 PM

Start shooting at whom?

Shooting back, as in shooting whomever might decide to shoot at you. Personally I think it is a most excellent idea.

B Moe on July 28, 2006 at 9:50 PM

Hate! That’s what this stems from,… pure, simple, unadulterated hate.

What a tragedy.

What a shame.

V5 on July 28, 2006 at 9:58 PM

Wow. How terrible. I’m from the Tri Cities and haven’t heard anything about this yet, then again, I’m still at work.

StephC on July 28, 2006 at 10:19 PM

Hmmm…. Friday afternoon. I wonder what was on the “to do” list before “kill Jews.”

rw on July 28, 2006 at 11:20 PM

I wonder if the libs and their media will be on Muslim Americans about backlash against Jews the way they were on Christian Americans about the almost non-existant backlash against Muslims after 9/11.

This incident is worse than any incident against Muslims that I remember happening after 9/11.

Perchant on July 28, 2006 at 11:28 PM

So, let’s be clear: Shooting a bunch of people because you’re angry about Israel is not related to terrorism. Again and again, I look behind me to see if there’s a looking glass back there.

Jim Treacher on July 28, 2006 at 11:49 PM

I’m sure you’ll hear many expressions of outrage by Muslims over the fact that someone would do such a thing in the name of their religion.

(crickets chirping).

Muslim silence is muslim assent.

thirteen28 on July 29, 2006 at 12:21 AM

Positives: They have the shooter in custody.
While it is absolutely terrible that one woman died, I am thankful that the others survived.
Next time someone comments favorably about the Religion of Peace, remind that someone of this event,or the terrorist group in Florida that we going to take down a Chicago building, the New York tunnel plan that was thwarted, the Muslim idiot in South Carolina who drove his rental jeep into a group of students, 9-11, Beirut Marines barracks attack that killed 241, etc etc.

Doug on July 29, 2006 at 12:46 AM

How soon before Liberals blame Israel for provoking a “good, kind-hearted” man into such an act of desperation?

hadsil on July 29, 2006 at 1:24 AM

Moe, bbz123:

Please note I said if there was open gunfire I would take action. You seemed to say you wanted to take action after the event and target certain people. I won’t do that. I suppose you wouldn’t either, would you?

ScottG on July 29, 2006 at 2:36 AM

Yes,Scott, I was referring to an event in progress.Deportation for the others.

bbz123 on July 29, 2006 at 7:26 AM

I hearby give the U.S. permission to deport all “Muslim-Americans” such as this fine fellow and Isreal permission to Nuke everyone in the Mid-East outside their border.

SO LET IT BE WRITTEN SO LET IT BE DONE!

venmax on July 29, 2006 at 9:14 AM

If you go to Yahoo, this story is not even one of the headlines. It is scary how much power the Muslim pressure groups wield in the MSM. They are trying to bury this one as quickly as possible.

Does anyone have any statistics on how many Middle Easterners we allow into the country to immigrate each year? It is moronic and dangerous to import anti-Semitism. And what do we get in return?

januarius on July 29, 2006 at 10:57 AM

I’m feeling a little sick to my stomach right now. Ever since the fighting broke out in Lebanon, I’ve been concerned. We live very close to the JCC in my neighborhood. My son attends camp there every Summer. My feeling is that it is very vulnerable to attack. Especially some of the outer buildings where some of the kids are during the day. On Thursday night, I talked to my wife about, expressing my concerns and asking if she knew of any extra measures the JCC was taking. She didn’t. Then this happens the next day.

This scares the crap out of me. I feel extremely vulnerable for my family. I’m not sure what to do, though, short of holing up in the basement, which is a ridiculous notion. Talk about handing ‘them’ the victory without a fight.

I’m calling the JCC tomorrow when they open back up. They’re not open today, because of Shabbat.

To those for whom it matters–Shabbat Shalom. For others–Peace. May we find that part of G-d in each of us that lends us strength and courage. We have may dark days ahead of us.

nukemhill on July 29, 2006 at 11:39 AM

Lone nut? Yes. Terrorist? I’d say he’d qualify. Related to other terrorism? Probably not directly. He should be tried for crimes of murder, attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, and then bring the terrorism statutes into play. He should be put away for life. I don’t know if Washington State has a death penalty, does it? I would have to say, if it does, this act certainly qualifys as a case for it.

DakRoland on July 29, 2006 at 11:52 AM

Another example of the ‘brave islamic warrior’.

Shooting unarmed, unsuspecting Jewish women. Making the world safer for the sons of allah.

C’mon world. Wake up and look this enemy in the face for what it is and deal decisively with it.

I watched Dennis Miller’s All In from 2005 again last night and the one line that stands out for me is this one (paraphrased from memory):

“We Americans are tolerant and have a very long fuse. But at the end of the day that fuse is connected to a big-assed bomb.”

When this country finally shakes the scales from its eyes, the backlash is going to be stunning. It cannot happen soon enough to suit me.

Faster please.

techno_barbarian on July 29, 2006 at 11:59 AM

DakRoland, yes, we do have the death penalty here in Washington state. It needs to be sought after in this case for sure.

StephC on July 29, 2006 at 12:05 PM

It is about time that members of the liberal jewish community wake up and smell the hate that is expressed daily against them by some members of the muslim community in this country and around the world….

Maybe he picked this organization because he knew that the chances of someone having a firearm there would be slim or none…he was in no danger of having fire returned at him….

I personally am a law abiding and legal gun owner. I carry even when I am in temple….just in case something like this should occur.

I would suggest that folks in the liberal jewish community rethink their support of the anti gunners……

robo on July 29, 2006 at 12:10 PM

I am studying to be an attorney

i ALSO have alot of connections in the Jewish community and people are on edge today as well. This is going to cause us to go through some major security headaches. To be honest the Muslim community in San Diego and its iman are good people and have offered to help and support the people any way they can. but nationally I don’t see that as a trend

Defector01 on July 29, 2006 at 12:11 PM

He cleverly established an insanity defense for himself a few weeks ago when he climbed a poll and flashed his unit at some women.

No death penalty, no prison.

Perchant on July 29, 2006 at 12:24 PM

Anyone seen a picture of this guy yet or is the MSM witholding that from us as well?

frreal on July 29, 2006 at 12:34 PM

Lone Nut? No.

Islam is at war with everyone, everywhere. If he’s a loner then THE MUSLIM WORLD IS CHOCK FULL TO THE BRIM WITH “LONERS”.

venmax on July 29, 2006 at 1:10 PM

I’ve said it before-the Muslim Fantasy is bumping up against our Reality. Allah is a fraud, and those who believe in it are delusional.
If someone believes in UFOs-no harm, no foul. Wish them well.
But if that person starts shooting people because they don’t believe in UFOs,you have to stop him, probably shoot him.
Give no ground or credence to the delusions of Islamists. If they tell you that Jews are evil, tell them that Jews are human, just as we all are, amd are no worse or better than anyone else. Then tell him that Israel will continue to exist, no matter what Islam does. Not to rub it in and make him angrier, but because that is Reality. They have to get over it. If they can’t, tough.

Doug on July 29, 2006 at 1:17 PM

Hate! That’s what this stems from,… pure, simple, unadulterated hate.

Say hello to the Religion of Peace.

This is not the actions of a lone deranged crackpot – this is the effect that Islam has on the human heart.

speed647 on July 29, 2006 at 2:29 PM

DakRoland on July 29, 2006 at 11:52 AM Says:

BUT, That is the MUSLIM WAY, send people out to change infidels or kill infidels if they can not be changed.
If that is their sole being, their sole purpose in life, if they are so delusional to believe all of the BS of killing anyone who doesnt believe EXACTLY as the islamafascist radicals read the koran, then all killings done by or in the name of muslim, mohammed(pissbeuponhim), etc, MUST ALL BE TERRORISTS, LINKED LIKE A CHAIN. PERIOD!!!!

shooter on July 29, 2006 at 5:17 PM

Defector01:

I am studying to be an attorney

Yeah, I thought I remembered you saying you were back when we discussed that airport security / one man vs. two man bomb issue a few weeks back.

Anyway, I did a cruddy job phrasing my question. I should have just said that if you are studying to be an attorney, I hope you get a job as government prosecutor or something similar. Good luck with your studies and stay safe down in San Diego. And if you ever cross the border, check out bull fight. They’re something else. Unless you already have, in which case forget I said anything…

EFG on July 29, 2006 at 8:29 PM

i want to be a prosecutor so i can send fill-in-the-blanks like this to jail and not let him out fora long long while.

unless intelligence or the cops managed to find something that says this guy had associates to attack other jewish targets, he’ll get attempted murder like the UNC car driver

Defector01 on July 29, 2006 at 10:00 PM

HOLY CRAP THIS KICKS TOTAL ASS!!!

TOOOOOO-TAL ASSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

venmax on July 29, 2006 at 11:31 PM

Excellent!

speed647 on July 30, 2006 at 11:11 AM

I still maintain that all devout muslims are potential terrorist assassins. Look at the demographics of the lineup of muslim killers – just ordinary middle-class citizens on the surface who suddenly go berserk probably after returning from their mosque inflamed by some imam preaching ‘death to infidels and jews’.

docdave on August 1, 2006 at 11:26 AM