Patterico demolishes Greenwald

posted at 11:44 am on July 27, 2006 by Allahpundit

He’s been hyping it for days, but as Dizzy Dean once said, “It ain’t bragging if you can do it.”

Well, he did it. And not just by a preponderance of the evidence, either.

I think this baby’s BRD.

Patterico accused me of underweighting the dick factor for this one in my blog scandal round-up, and he’s got a point. Deceit and pettiness are common to all cases of sock puppetry, but what gives Greenwald’s that extra pathetic oomph is his comic egomania. Most puppeteers do what they do to bolster particular arguments; it’s the rare douche who’ll conjure up fake personas to recite highlights from his CV, particularly while holding himself out as above the fray of flame-war juvenilia.

Men of Big Ideas who help shape the national debate have no time for such things, you see.

The good news for Greenwald is that he’s now qualified to write sports for the L.A. Times, assuming he’s willing to hack into an e-mail account or two.

On that note, I do hereby dub the Greenwald sock-puppet saga the second-most entertaining scandal of the week.

Update: I’m also prepared to pledge Hot Air’s full support, including free ad space and video endorsements, to any Senator, left or right, who’s willing to quote Patterico’s post on the Senate floor.

Actually, I’m not authorized to pledge any of that stuff, but I’m pretty sure I could persuade Michelle.

Comments

What does BRD mean?

Kevin M on July 27, 2006 at 11:56 AM

Beyond a reasonable doubt.

Allahpundit on July 27, 2006 at 11:57 AM

If I ever get to 81, I hope pizza and sex with women less than half my age are still on my menu.

Behind closed doors, Senator Coleman is probably growing weary of the high fives.

Next time, get a room, Dad.

Pablo on July 27, 2006 at 12:03 PM

I read Patterico’s post first thing this morning, it’s a work of art. I don’t remember seeing a post that was quite that thorough before.

That is genius, I hope someone takes you up on it.

High Desert Wanderer on July 27, 2006 at 12:05 PM

“Reasonable” doubt? Are you kidding? This was beyond any and all doubt a long time ago. It would take a ton of Kool-Aid and a lot of eyes-closed foot-stomping for even most far-left moonbats not to see this particular truth. I strongly suspect that even the ones defending Greenwald would actually admit the truth if you got a few beers in ‘em.

No. Doubt. At. All.

O.J.’s “real killers” theory is more plausible.

By the way, you earn a million bonus points for use of today’s coolest word – “juvenilia.” If it’s real, I’m in awe; if you made it up, slap a copyright on it. It’s a very useful word.

Professor Blather on July 27, 2006 at 1:12 PM

Juvenilia is a cross between juvenile and genitalia. And a more appropriate portmanteau word does not exist.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on July 27, 2006 at 2:58 PM

I think its clear that all bloggers should just ban 201.17.101.161. Make Greenwald have to surf everyone’s blogs through Google Cache. That would be a campaign I would get behind.

BelchSpeak on July 27, 2006 at 3:10 PM

I’ll have whatever Coleman Sr. is having…..

georgej on July 27, 2006 at 3:38 PM

I think he’s great!
Yenta Gor July 27, 2006 at 31:56 AM

I think he is even greater!
Enta Trol July 27, 2006 at 31:57 AM

You lie!
En Tagor July 27, 2006 at 31:58 AM

You lie bigger!!!!
En Gor July 27, 2006 at 31:59 AM

Hey, I caught these sock puppets out in the garden. Shall I drown them in a bucket? They are making a big mess in my office.

entagor on July 27, 2006 at 9:12 PM

For a more substantive example of supposed sock-puppetry check out the following article about the famous/infamous English psychologist Cyril Burt:

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on July 30, 2006 at 3:47 AM