Nasrallah in the Iranian embassy?

posted at 11:22 pm on July 26, 2006 by Bryan

Say what you will about terrorist leaders, they’re devious and underhanded but they’re not exactly Alexander the Great. He led his armies into battle from the front, inspiring them to crush their enemies; terrorist kingpins like Hassan Nasrallah order rocket attacks on kids dozens of miles away and then scurry off to hide in some cave or bunker. They pop out like groundhogs to issue some bold new statement (nearly always on tape, recorded earlier, as opposed to live) before ducking back behind the skirts and toys in whatever residential area they’re holed up in. Brave, they are not.

The latest on Nasrallah, by the way, is that he’s hiding out in the Iranian embassy in Beirut. If that’s true, it complicates without necessarily stifling Israel’s efforts to take him out.

Comments

I don’t know. It isn’t as if the Iranians should expect their Embassy to be safe from invasion – Particulary the current Iranian president.

Perhaps a bunch of Israeli ‘students’ should pay them a little visit… Fully armed, and trained in that sort of combat….

CrazyFool on July 26, 2006 at 11:39 PM

Didn’t we “accidentally” bomb the french embassy some time ago?

Hope the Israelis don’t make the same mistake…

Just sayin’

rightside on July 26, 2006 at 11:39 PM

How do you say “oops” in Hebrew?

GT on July 26, 2006 at 11:47 PM

rightside, we once accidently bombed a Chinese embassy. I believe that was when Clinton was in office.

Bellicose Muse on July 27, 2006 at 12:30 AM

I thought the accidental bombing of the Chinese embassy was during the “shock and awe” part of the invasion of Iraq. I seem to remember that it was a GPS guided bomb. I think the reason given was that someone was operating off of an old map that showed the Chinese embassy as something else.

Of course that’s from memory. It’s late and I didn’t look it up,… yet.

~V5

V5 on July 27, 2006 at 1:01 AM

This is what I was referring to, Bellicose. I just got the time to look it up. We “accidentally” bombed it due to the extra 2600 miles they had to travel since france wouldn’t allow us to fly through their airspace.

rightside on July 27, 2006 at 4:01 AM

If they don’t paratroop in and raid the Iranian embassy, then they are blowing a big opportunity to end Iran’s control over Lebanon. If they catch Nasrallah in there, of course.

Kevin M on July 27, 2006 at 5:02 AM

Forget “accidents.” bomb the hell out of the embassy. No apologies afterward.

bdfaith on July 27, 2006 at 6:07 AM

Don’t we owe the Iranians a little embassey visit anyway?

bbz123 on July 27, 2006 at 8:10 AM

Considering that a countries embassies are considered soverign soil any deliberate bombing of or assault on the Iranian embassy would be considered an act of war. And Iran would surely use it as an excuse to wage war on Israel. I don’t think the Israelis are willing to go that far. At least not yet.

~V5

V5 on July 27, 2006 at 9:44 AM

OOPPPss that should be “country’s” not “countries.” Not enough coffee yet.

And RightSide, I guess you meant the bombing of Tripoli and not the current war. (LOL) I had forgotten all about that raid. I was still a wet behind the ears junior in high school that year. I was more interested in girls than current world events. So my apologies.

~V%

V5 on July 27, 2006 at 9:51 AM

I’m still with bbz123:

Don’t we owe the Iranians a little embassey visit anyway?

bbz123 on July 27, 2006 at 8:10 AM

An eye for an eye….isnt that what they use against us?

shooter on July 27, 2006 at 10:55 AM

Reality Check: “Have we the stomach?” Yes. Though our situation is not as grave as Israels, we are going to be feeling the same heat from the same source. Time to put the fire out now,before we get burned. I suggest that WE, not Israel, take out Nasrallah at the Iranian embassy, and if Iran wants to mix it up, WE, not Israel, strike first, taking out their nuclear reactors. A subdued, vanquished Iran is in our best interests, is in the world’s best interests. If we had taken Hitler out in 1936, millions of people in Europe, including the 6 million Jews killed in the gas chambers, would have lived long, more peaceful lives. 2006 is our 1936.

Doug on July 27, 2006 at 12:29 PM

the Chinese embassy in Belgrade was hit. Clinton had made that war NATO’s war.

Notice how differently Kofi et al responded to that bombing?

entagor on July 27, 2006 at 9:31 PM