Ancient fragment of Psalm 83, describing a war to destroy Israel, recovered from Irish bog

posted at 3:41 pm on July 26, 2006 by Allahpundit

Psalm 83. The one that says:

For, lo, thine enemies make a tumult: and they that hate thee have lifted up the head.
They have taken crafty counsel against thy people, and consulted against thy hidden ones.
They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from [being] a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance.

Tyre is also mentioned by name.

You know where this is going.

The director of Ireland’s National Museum says he’s thrilled. You know who I bet is even more thrilled? Kirk Cameron.

I myself have no reaction except: (a) I’m really glad it wasn’t Revelations; (b) this reminds me of those Time-Life books about the supernatural that they used to sell on TV. Remember? “A man is shot in the face in California; at the same time, three thousand miles away, his twin brother suffers a mild headache. Coincidence?” An ancient fragment of scripture is recovered in an Irish bog; at the same time etc etc. (c) it also reminds me of that Nostradamus hoax after 9/11, which I always thought would be a good gag for a parody blog. Just write up the day’s news events in Nostradamus style. E.g., “The two brothers meet in battle / Between them, a third; / Silver birds dive on blue-helmeted knights / The Ghanian moron won’t take sides.”

Update: Psalm 83 also says, “Do unto them as [unto] the Midianites; as [to] Sisera, as [to] Jabin, at the brook of Kison.” Bashar Assad was raised in the Syrian town of Jabin. And Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was born in Siseria — near Iran’s Kison river.

Update: No, not really.

Comments

My goodness that Rove guy is good! whodathunkit?

bbz123 on July 26, 2006 at 4:03 PM

I think Rove had help from the Zionists

Defector01 on July 26, 2006 at 4:09 PM

I’m waiting for the remains of a suicide bomber with hijab intact to be pulled from an Irish bog.

rw on July 26, 2006 at 4:19 PM

I’m not yet convinced the bog thing is real, but I ran across this link on lgf last night and found it very very powerful.

Please take a look and see for yourself.

techno_barbarian on July 26, 2006 at 5:12 PM

thanks, Techno. I am not sure what a bog is. I always thought it was swampland. Maybe not in a country that calls trucks “lorries”.
I saved that song to favs, hopefully they will keep it on line awhile.

gary on July 26, 2006 at 6:02 PM

this must be a hoax. i hope ya’ll all haven’t been duped.

pullingmyhairout on July 26, 2006 at 6:16 PM

I blogged this yesteday, with Tubular Bells goodness to read it by

wordwarp on July 26, 2006 at 7:13 PM

Yes, but doesn’t the bible also say in Leviticus 2:31-32

Yea, though existence in hollow lands shalt all mankind decry, the land of Persia shalt be responsible and reap a fiery reward of death and destruction, directed by my hand. Verily I say this, for I am the Lord your God.”

Something like that… this is just a rendition by rote.

Kevin M on July 26, 2006 at 7:45 PM

I am a skeptic in some respects, I mean big foot and crop circles come to mind, as well as Mary on a tortilla. But even if this were a hoax, the Message has been allowed to travel the globe, so no harm done.

gary on July 26, 2006 at 8:20 PM

The interpretation of biblical prophecies is frequently mucked up (or bogged down if you will–pun intended). It’s not that hard either. Here is a simple way to view them:
1. Has the prophecy been fulfilled yet?
2. If “no” that does not mean it is being fulfilled at this moment in time.

Micah 4:1-7? Not yet, and not happening currently.

Micah 5:2? Already happened.

The current mess in/around Israel? To be decided, but everytime Israel does something profound does not necessarily mean the end is nigh.

Bellicose Muse on July 26, 2006 at 8:27 PM

Can’t we also agree that according to Jerimisha 14:2…

People shouldst probably not maketh up statements quoteth the bible with accuracy impuned, lets they burn forever in the bowels of hell.

? I dunno, maybe we have different versions.

Kevin M on July 26, 2006 at 9:37 PM

The Power of Peat Moss.

Trying to trace this story, I learned more about bog-men then I ever wanted to know. Bog-Bibles are sonething else. This is a lot easier to look at than a bog man who is often in pieces.

Give me a bog Bible anyday.

In all honesty, I practice the practice of occasionally opening my Bible at random to see what message is presented.
I find the results are often of value. But, then, I am a believer.

entagor on July 26, 2006 at 11:25 PM

It’s a short one, as Psalms go, so here is the whole thing from the NASB:

A Song, a Psalm of Asaph.

1 O God, do not remain quiet;
Do not be silent and, O God, do not be still.
2For behold, Your enemies make an uproar,
And those who hate You have exalted themselves.
3They make shrewd plans against Your people,
And conspire together against Your treasured ones.
4They have said, “Come, and let us wipe them out as a nation,
That the name of Israel be remembered no more.”
5For they have conspired together with one mind;
Against You they make a covenant:
6The tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites,
Moab and the Hagrites;
7Gebal and Ammon and Amalek,
Philistia with the inhabitants of Tyre;
8Assyria also has joined with them;
They have become a help to the children of Lot. Selah.
9Deal with them as with Midian,
As with Sisera and Jabin at the torrent of Kishon,
10Who were destroyed at En-dor,
Who became as dung for the ground.
11Make their nobles like Oreb and Zeeb
And all their princes like Zebah and Zalmunna,
12Who said, “Let us possess for ourselves
The pastures of God.”
13O my God, make them like the whirling dust,
Like chaff before the wind.
14Like fire that burns the forest
And like a flame that sets the mountains on fire,
15So pursue them with Your tempest
And terrify them with Your storm.
16Fill their faces with dishonor,
That they may seek Your name, O LORD.
17Let them be ashamed and dismayed forever,
And let them be humiliated and perish,
18That they may know that You alone, whose name is the LORD,
Are the Most High over all the earth.

Bellicose Muse on July 27, 2006 at 12:37 AM

Hey Allah,
I’d love to see that Nostradamus style site, it would be great .

rattrap47 on July 27, 2006 at 10:57 AM

Bellicose Muse-good points about Micah-you obviously know your Bible. I’ve been looking at Psalms, and Irish peat bogs notwithstanding, the prophesies have always been there to be read.
If you want to have more fun, folks, dust off your Bibles and read Psalm 2.

Doug on July 27, 2006 at 12:50 PM