When good news is bad news: IDF captures Hezbollah’s “capital”

posted at 11:03 am on July 25, 2006 by Allahpundit

And bagged 40 or 100-120 Hezbollah jihadis in the process, depending upon whether you believe the JPost or Debka.

As always with Debka, there’s no such thing as “good news”:

The Bint Jubeil operation taught Israeli war planners three lessons:

1. It did not help reduce the rocket fire against Israel. The number of launchers and rockets found in the small town was minimal. Any missile crewmen who may have been deployed there had moved to other locations ahead of the Israeli assault.

2. Bin Jubeil and its satellite villages are only one small center at the southern end of the central sector of the south. There are dozens such clusters across the region. they will have to be flushed out one by one, entailing prolonged military action and exposing the troops to more casualties.

The key word being “prolonged.” Olmert is already hinting that the 10-day window of opportunity might need to be extended a bit. The IDF is bombing Beirut as I write this, in what the AP says is an attempt to seal off the southern part of the country for the coming fighting — and what Fox, citing Al Jazeera, says is an attempted hit on Hezbollah’s leadership, including/especially Nasrallah.

IDF military intelligence says the Syrian army is at its highest state of alert, albeit still in a defensive posture. Iran’s ambassador to Lebanon told Iranian media outlets yesterday that if Syria is “harmed in any way,” Iran will respond with force — a step up from their promise last week merely to “support” Syria in the event of war with Israel. MEMRI TV has new video of Ahmadinejad’s latest vision quest too, speaking in public the way leftards think Bush speaks in private:

You will see. This is a mirror that will reveal everyone’s true essence. This is not one of those ordinary tests. Not at all. It will expose everything…

In this case, they must make their position clear. Of course, some of them have taken positive positions, but others have buried their heads in the sand. Their true character will be exposed in this scene. For them, this is “the Day that all things secret will be tested.” They will reach this day. The hypocrisy must be exposed.

Iranian youth roll their eyes.

I completely missed this, but did you know that Ahmadinejad sent yet another letter on Saturday — this time to Jacques Chirac? The details haven’t been published yet, but I like to think he thanked him for being a fan.

Update: A U.S. official tells Reuters that Hezbollah is essentially Frankenstein, a monster created by mad scientists which, once born, can no longer be controlled by its creators. Mahmoud Abbas knows something about that too, I reckon. The only question I have is whether that’s a bug or a feature, since it lets Syria and Iran sit back and plead impotence when their proxy pops off.

Meanwhile, Israelis are busy trying to cure cancer.

Comments

This time Time is on Israel’s side
Although nobody will volunteer to put boots on the ground and take incoming RPG’s from the hizzbonazis, Israel has no choice and based on past performances will do the job.
As long as they can keep re-supply out, the hizzbonazis will run out of stuff and bodies within a few months.
Most Lebanese will encourage them to save their own skins, but it’s not their war. They won’t be contributing their kids as walking bombs and I don’t think they appreciate being used as human shields.
Rooting out an enemy heavily dug in and integrated with civilians will take time. At a certain point the tide will turn and the majority of Lebanese will start dropping dimes on these guys. Arabs don’t get tired of other Arabs causing senseless Arab deaths atfer a while, but they do get even.

Reality Check on July 25, 2006 at 11:52 AM

From a strict military standpoint, Israel has all the time it needs…

From a geo political standpoint, they will continue to get an increasing amount of international pressure the longer they are there…

So it really will come to choice… how much is security worth?

Romeo13 on July 25, 2006 at 12:31 PM

I am so hoping that the muslims miscalculate again and both Syria and Iran enter this fray because that would be the catalyst for us to go into those countries to settle this terrorist hash.

docdave on July 25, 2006 at 1:07 PM

Docdave, and that’s precisely why they won’t. Not until they have nukes. Pre-emptive strikes are definitely in order on this one.

Mike O on July 25, 2006 at 2:11 PM

Interesting article about the youths of Iran. They will be the ones to effect real change over Amadjihad and Iran, when or IF they get fed up with strict Islam.
I see a spark of hope there…

NTWR on July 25, 2006 at 4:00 PM

From what we’re told, everyone all over the Middle East thinks the U.S. and Israel are in league with each other. I’ll grant that they are, in a way; in fact, I’ll just say flatly that they are, and everyone knows they are. So why, I wonder, don’t they go ahead and act like it? How dumb is the United States to actually have a beachhead in the Middle East and not use it? How dumb is the United States to have an ally, yet make Israel stand pat during the U.S.’s wars and stand by themselves during their own wars?

I think we may have a formula for the U.S.’s being serious about defeating Islam: The U.S. openly acknowledges Israel as an ally, and thereafter they fight every war together until their joint work is complete.

Kralizec on July 25, 2006 at 4:30 PM

“A U.S. official tells Reuters that Hezbollah is essentially Frankenstein, a monster created by mad scientists which, once born, can no longer be controlled by its creators. Mahmoud Abbas knows something about that too, I reckon. The only question I have is whether that’s a bug or a feature, since it lets Syria and Iran sit back and plead impotence when their proxy pops off.”

Allah, you slay me. A bug or a feature? Oops did I say slay? I meant sent down thunderbolts to kick my upstart ass.

On another site, an idiot I have some acquaintance with said Israel was playing with fire. My response is that Hezbollah must be extra crispy right now.

The idiot also says Israel is getting its ass kicked right now and Hezbollah is winning a tactical victory here. My response is that Hezbollah better start losing, quick, because winning is sure killing them.

I haven’t seen so much “up is down”, “night is day”, and “good is bad” doublespeak since I read 1984 in high school. Who knew you’d hear it in the press and from the looney lefties first?

Things are going so abso-frickin’-lutely well that we’re obviously doomed. Doomed I say.

Subsunk

Subsunk on July 25, 2006 at 5:32 PM

From what I have seen on fox, it would appear, Israel is winning this battle. They need to continue their momentum.
Embarrassing Iran and Syria is good.

gary on July 25, 2006 at 6:16 PM

So Syria’s army is “massing”. What a wonderful miscalculation that would be-losing your army and your country all in the same day. Attack! Please!!!!

MaiDee on July 25, 2006 at 9:50 PM

MaiDee
Got a spare Daisy cutter?

Defector01 on July 25, 2006 at 11:52 PM

Anyone recall Kissinger’s comment on the problem with fighting terrorists/guerillas? Something like, “terrorists don’t need to win, they just need not to lose”.

Thought for the day: when the Israelis (before they were, strictly speaking, “Israelis”) blew up the King David, was that an act of terror? Did that make them terrorists?

honora on July 26, 2006 at 12:50 PM

Debka notes that Israel has captured the main source of its water supply: Wazani Spring.

Useful.

I wonder if Chirac dreads those love letters. I am sure he earns them the hard way.

entagor on July 27, 2006 at 8:27 PM