Blog scandal erupts over scandalous omissions from my blog-scandal post

posted at 4:38 pm on July 25, 2006 by Allahpundit

People are e-mailing or, in some cases, posting to remind me of ones I forgot. Let me make amends.

1. Jason Leopold. Admittedly, an egregious oversight. Not even an oversight, really: I did remember this one late last night but gave up when I realized how hard I’ve have to concentrate to compress the mountains of alleged Leopold malfeasance into a tiny diamond summary. Rove, sock puppets, allegedly forged e-mails — he’s so covered in grime that none of it really qualifies as “scandal” anymore, you know? It’s the difference between a man in a business suit wetting his pants and a homeless man wetting his pants. The former is scandal, the latter is just … unfortunate.

2. Micah Wright. Another inexcusable omission, this one brought to my attention (appropriately) by Jim Treacher. Wright posed as a former Army Ranger with combat experience as a publicity hook for his stupid book of anti-war propaganda, thus making the dick factor in this case enormous. No body count, though, and I seem to recall that it was the Washington Post, not bloggers, who actually broke the story. Maybe I’m wrong. I’m sure Jim will correct me.

3. Dr. Debbie Demento Frisch. The dick factor was there in spades. There was even a body count. But most of the action took place in a single blog’s comment section. It was really just a flame war that ended up setting the neighborhood on fire because Dr. Deb couldn’t control her torch. Still, telling your adversary that you hope his two-year-old gets “JonBenet’d” has to count for something. I should have included it. My bad.

4. Ko$ola. Dan Riehl slapped me for missing this. The thing is, we need to distinguish between the Kos side and the Armstrong side. Without evidence of fat envelopes being slipped into Kos’s pocket, there’s simply no there there. I can’t get real exercised about him letting Warner off the hook for supporting Lieberman, either. Is it really a “scandal” that Kos would go easy on politicians who pander to him? Doesn’t that make him just like any other chieftain of a special-interest tribe? Armstrong, however, is a different story. The stock shenanigans on top of the possible influence peddling on top of the Vis Numar, Officially Licensed Progressive Astrologist shtick puts him damn near Leopold country. Big oversight on my part.

There are probably more. If I’ve forgotten anything else, let me know in the comments or blog ‘em yourself and I’ll be happy to link.

Update: In fact, the biggest blog scandal ever is my failure to include Captain Ed’s Canadian Adscam series, which actually helped topple a government. The shame of it all.

Comments

Did you mention Jesse MacBeth, another pretend Ranger who admitted to the callous killing of Iraqi citizens?

docdave on July 25, 2006 at 5:14 PM

What if the homeless man wets the businessman’s pants? Welcome back, AP.

Kid from Brooklyn on July 25, 2006 at 5:32 PM

Also, it wasn’t so much a scandal as a really good time.

Jim Treacher on July 25, 2006 at 5:49 PM

Christmas in Cambodia? Wasn’t that blog-driven? Hewitt thinks so, he put Kerry’s face on the back of his book between Lott and Rather.

Alex K on July 25, 2006 at 6:05 PM

How about these:

2003: Jayson Blair, New York Times reporter, busted for plagiarism, and fired. Shortly thereafter, Howell Rains (Executive Editor) and Gerald Boyd (Managing Editor) resign.

2004: Presidential candidate John Kerry gets Swift-Boated.

2005: Harriet Miers, President Bush’s nominee to the Supreme Court, withdraws her nomination.

surfhut on July 25, 2006 at 6:08 PM

Was Jayson Blair really that blog-related? And though Miers was obviously a fiery topic in the blogosphere, that went way beyond the internet.

Alex K on July 25, 2006 at 6:24 PM

Alex,

Christmas in Cambodia was blog driven by the one and only Pat Curley from Brainster and Kerry Haters fame who found the inconsistencies in Kerry’s congressional testimoney and broke the story.

The Real Ugly American on July 25, 2006 at 10:23 PM

The woman (forget her name) who suggested Kos should be more transparent regarding the matter of possible Ko$ola was shouted down by the Kossack minions. Scandal? Perhaps a minor one. Certainly scandalous behavior.

You also forgot the Glenn Reynolds puppy blending scandal.

Bellicose Muse on July 25, 2006 at 11:19 PM

As far as most people are concerned, you’re right. But for the people powered nutroots, this is a serious breach of faith and those people are the only reason either Markos or Jerome matter to anyone. Take the Paul Hackett/Sherrod Brown episode. Even if there was no pay for play going on, they abandoned a nutroots heartthrob for the longtime establishment guy for influence. The body count on that one may take a while to nail down as we see where the ripples go.

Astrology = Stock trading due diligence = Comedy gold!

Pablo on July 25, 2006 at 11:45 PM

You also forgot the Glenn Reynolds puppy blending scandal.

Good point. And let’s not forget the Hugest Blog Scandal of All Time Ever Anywhere in Teh Universe exposed by the patients at Indymedia.

Pablo on July 26, 2006 at 1:11 AM

Another quasi-scandal worth mentioning would be Sean-Paul Kelley’s rise and fall as a serial plagiarist of Stratfor.

Centerfire on July 26, 2006 at 2:17 AM

Jason Leopold has to be at the head of the pack in terms of SICKNESS. Take a look at his comments posting as ANONYMOUS at the DUmmie FUnnies Blog. Also note that Leopold was engaged in Sock Puppetry in the Amazon.Com reviews of his own book.

pjcomix on July 26, 2006 at 7:07 AM

I’m with docdave – definitely Jesse MacBeth. Jeez, Allah, you’re the one that got the word outside the milblogs!

bamapachyderm on July 26, 2006 at 8:18 PM