Kos: I was making chickenhawk slurs before making chickenhawk slurs was cool

posted at 3:19 pm on July 24, 2006 by Allahpundit

The boss has a link to the Jeff Jacoby piece that’s making the rounds. Read it, then chew on this bit from Nightline’s interview with The One True Democrat:

TAPPER: Why did you enlist? Were you in the Army?

MOULITSAS: I was in the Army for three years, between 1989 and 1992. And I enlisted because I was actually — at the time I was actually a Republican, and I believed I was very much a military hawk at the time, and I thought, ‘This is very quaint in today’s world, in today’s political environment.’ But at the time, I thought that if was going to advocate for military involvement in various places, that I really needed to have served, that I’d be a hypocrite if I was not a veteran and I’d be talking about military action. Not thinking that I was going to be in politics or anything like that. You know, this was my personal life.

TAPPER: Just talking about your day-to-day life?

MOULITSAS: Exactly. I mean, to me it would be hypocrit[ical] to say we should bomb Grenada or invade Grenada, we should bomb Libya, if I had not been a vet.

He was 17 years old, there were no major conflicts in which the U.S. was involved — and what was weighing on his mind was the ethical implications of supporting hypothetical military action at some unknown future date? How remarkably conscientious and farsighted to anticipate so precisely the illogic that his nutroots cohorts would embarrass themselves with 15 years later.

It’s like the chickenhawk Creation Myth.

Do even the Kossacks buy this bit of ex post justificatory nonsense? And do they realize that by his reasoning, most of them could never rightly support military intervention under any circumstances? Kos likes to make a big show of how big his tent is, so presumably they’re not all peaceniks root and branch. What do they do if President Rodham-Clinton wants to send troops into Somalia into 2010 — a scenario that’s looking increasingly plausible?

Geraghty mines another nugget from the Nightline interview. I gave up on it on the second page, but heaven only knows how much ore’s in them hills.

Update: JG explains the Nighline segment: “maybe Tapper got himself a free palm reading out of the deal.”

Update: Does it matter to the chickenhawk calculus whether the military intervention one supports is American or not? Presumably not — and yet.

Comments

What a bunch of mierda this guy says.

Coño!!

batperez on July 24, 2006 at 3:29 PM

I meant the Kossack.

batperez on July 24, 2006 at 3:29 PM

Actually, the 90-91 Gulf War happened during his stint. Guess it scared him, the thought he may have to do something. Anyone know what his MOS was?

jcon96 on July 24, 2006 at 3:49 PM

I never served and I’m more patriotic and respect the military more then this faux-hawk.

Defector01 on July 24, 2006 at 4:17 PM

Wow. It also means they can’t support the Afghanistan war, or any intervention in Darfur… Well, we all know the chickenhawk-argument illogic, but it’s amazing to hear the Leader sanctify it.

Alex K on July 24, 2006 at 4:18 PM

Did he accepted Veterans Benefits? I wonder…..

dallas94 on July 24, 2006 at 4:20 PM

Ummm… just out of curiosity… how did he serve THREE years??

I know about 2 by 6 commitments (reserves)… 4 year enlistments… 6 year enlistments… but three years??? I’m retired Navy meself… did the Army even HAVE three year enlistments? I’m pretty sure the Navy did not….

Thats usualy a sign of either a dishonorable discharge, or Other than honorable…

Romeo13 on July 24, 2006 at 4:20 PM

Good point, Romeo13.

Cary on July 24, 2006 at 4:46 PM

Iirc, Kos was in artillery but he was stationed in Germany at the time of the Gulf War. So, like a lot of people, he served DURING but not IN the Gulf War.

Bryan on July 24, 2006 at 4:46 PM

Hey, it worked for John Kerry.

Oh wait, no it didn’t!

Nevermind.

Pablo on July 24, 2006 at 4:59 PM

Hmmm, I guess he probably can’t speak to doing humanitarian stuff in Africa; after all, he’s never actually gone and done it himself (I have).

Mike O on July 24, 2006 at 5:03 PM

Romeo13, the Army did have a 3 year hitch with a couple of years inactive reserve. Don’t know if they still do, but it was unique when they did.

Anyway, I really like the “I was actually a Republican…”

I was actually an astronaut. And a race car driver. And a multi-millionaire inventor. And a brain surgeon. And a gigolo. And a super secret spy.

Pablo on July 24, 2006 at 5:07 PM

To me the main point here is that it is truly intellectually dishonest to tell someone they cannot have an opinion unless they have experienced that thing first hand themselves. So he is totally against representative democracy in every way I take it. Yet somehow “Marky K” can have all kinds of opinions on many topics of which he has zero personal experience. Typical BS, the Do As I Say Not As I Do Policy is a cornerstone of his beliefs and people like him. I truly cannot stand those that try to enforce this on others. It’s nothing more than an attempt to utterly marginalize opposing opinions under the guise of their own personal purity on any given subject. Pathetic.

Cary on July 24, 2006 at 5:15 PM

“I was a Republican before I was against one” –Kos

I gave up after page 1 too. One can only take so much syrup at a time.

Maybe he was asked later about the Clintons’ military records.

Here is my favorite quote from page 1 – if anyone comprehends it, please enlighten me:

I know that liberal bloggers are kind of the talk of the town right now, and God knows there’s been plenty of ink spilled on how relevant we are and how we don’t win anything, yet if we’re so irrelevant and we don’t win anything, I’m not quite sure why they keep talking about us. If we’re irrelevant, just shut up and, you know, talk about what is truly relevant.

Entelechy on July 24, 2006 at 5:27 PM

This article speaks volumes about the difficulty the Democrats have with the Kosacks’ attitude (indifference at best) toward Israel:

Entelechy on July 24, 2006 at 9:01 PM

He was supportive of the military before he was against it, though.
:b.

hadsil on July 25, 2006 at 1:58 AM

Better yet, by his reasoning, any liberal who has never served in the military is ineligible to comment about the war or anything else having to do with the military.

So, tell the chichenshit left to SHUT THE “F” UP and stop protesting the war until after they return from a tour of duty in Iraq as a soldier.

georgej on July 25, 2006 at 4:03 AM

As a 22 yr. Army veteran friend of mine said, “Between Murtha and Kerry there are 5(?) purple hearts and no time in the hospital. It speaks for itself.”

Wil on July 25, 2006 at 8:20 AM

He felt something, before he, Markos Moulitsas Zúniga, the ‘elegant’ blogging sage, felt nothing:

That said, I feel nothing over the death of merceneries. They aren’t in Iraq because of orders, or because they are there trying to help the people make Iraq a better place. They are there to wage war for profit. Screw them.

Entelechy on July 25, 2006 at 2:27 PM

MOULITSAS: It means that there’s three missile launchers. I was in a track vehicle. I was in charge of making sure that the vehicles were fueled — the launches were fueled, that the troops in the platoon were fed, that there was enough fuel, ammunition, that sort of thing. So making sure all the other details that make a platoon work.

I mean, people don’t realize, I think, that in a military action, front-line soldiers are really about 10 percent of the fighting force. Everybody else is really there in a support role, making sure they have the food, the ammunition, the fuel, the sort of things that make an army move. And so in that missile battery, I was in charge of making sure that my platoon, that my missile platoon, had all those things.

Speaking as a former NCO the duties and responsibilities he is outlining are those of a Platoon Sergeant, normally a E-6 SSG or most likely E-7 SFC. They do not pin those stripes on you for perfect attendance. I doubt Markos attained a rank higher then Specalist E-4, meaning he was never an NCO, Non Commissioned Officer, and I take great offense every time one of these liberal veterans try to exagerate their record.
In the past he tried very hard to make it appear that he was in the First Gulf War by using the phrase “I served during the First Gulf War” well as this interview points out he never left Germany. I served during Gulf War I also except I was detailed on recruiting duty in AL. Worst time of my life and when it was over I think my wife was happier then me.

LakeRuins on July 25, 2006 at 3:54 PM

A little off topic, but what is up with the tennis ball protruding from his pants as he walks down the street? Was he happy to see the interviewer?

Pam on July 26, 2006 at 10:08 AM

Wil on July 25, 2006 at 8:20 AM

..and W got a gig in the Guard jumping in front of 10,000 other mothers’ sons trying to get out of going to Vietnam…it speaks for itself.

honora on July 26, 2006 at 1:03 PM