Cohen to Israel: You’re a mistake, and don’t you forget it

posted at 9:16 am on July 18, 2006 by Bryan

Wow. Just, wow.

The greatest mistake Israel could make at the moment is to forget that Israel itself is a mistake. It is an honest mistake, a well-intentioned mistake, a mistake for which no one is culpable, but the idea of creating a nation of European Jews in an area of Arab Muslims (and some Christians) has produced a century of warfare and terrorism of the sort we are seeing now. Israel fights Hezbollah in the north and Hamas in the south, but its most formidable enemy is history itself.

Picture yourself perched in the turret of a tank, scanning the horizon with night-vision goggles, pondering whether the order that sends you north across the blue line is the order that might end your life. You’ll be sent over into Lebanon to take out a Hezbollah rocket cache, but it’s heavily defended and there’s every chance in the world that Hezbollah has an ambush waiting for you. At that moment, the Washington Post’s Richard Cohen wants you to remember: Israel is a mistake.

And if you’re a little bit knowledgeable of world history, a question might come to mind: How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

People do not fight and die for what they believe to be a mistake. What Cohen wants Israel to internalize is the very message that Hassan Nasrallah wants them to internalize: Their nation is a mistake and they have no right to live in the land of Abraham. Their state should curl up and die.

That’s a good message for the MSM to internalize, perhaps, but not one that will motivate a tiny country currently fighting for its life. So if anyone’s listening, my advice to Israel: Ignore the press and do what you must do.

Comments

why can’t they just all live together in one place, practice their own religions, accept that they have a common history and just GET ALONG WITH EACH OTHER????? Take a cue from your Kindergarten teacher and make friends.

pullingmyhairout on July 18, 2006 at 9:35 AM

Jews in Jerusalem. Why, it’s just crazy!

Seriously, my jaw dropped when I saw this piece. I guess Cohen won’t be making aliyah anytime soon. Which is good, because Israel probably has enough self-loathing, culturally suicidal Jews.

Pablo on July 18, 2006 at 9:42 AM

Richard Cohen’s mother keeps reminding him that he, in fact, was a mistake too. An oops baby. A wayward sperm that slipped past the goalie and into the net.

pistolero on July 18, 2006 at 9:55 AM

Cohen is a brainless evil wanker of the highest order. Perhaps that’s why he’s a “journalist”, meat attracting maggots and all that. The sick thing is that his name is actually Jewish too. He is a traitor to his blood and his heritage.

Oh and pullingmyhairout, the reason they can’t is because of petty stupid jealousy. Not that anybody’s completely immune to it, but you would think after four THOUSAND years they’d finally get over it. Aside from the pathetic ones (fortunately few) who actually appologize for something that is in no way their fault, most Jews have tried to move on because they never had any real reason to be jealous of their brothers the Ishmaelites or Edomites in the first place. But the reverse is not true, unfortunately, and won’t be until they are forced to grow up.

RH

RobertHuntingdon on July 18, 2006 at 10:12 AM

See my email to R Cohen below

Mr. Cohen:

Let me understand:

1. Because they “aren’t amenable to reason” nothing can be done about the haters.

2. Because “nothing can be done about the haters” it’s best to hunker down behind “defensible borders”.

Question: By “defensible borders” do you mean those international boundaries that hold Israel’s back so hard against the Mediterranean Sea that their citizens can be murdered almost anywhere by the rockets and missiles the haters lob at them without letup?

Yes, I think I have it now – “Israel, you were a mistake, no one can do anything about the haters, so hunker – no, bend over and take it again and again and again. We hope you survive (not really, because you were a well-intentioned but very messy mistake.)”

Mr. Cohen, I am absolutely overwhelmed by the deep power of your insight. It is reasonable for a victim to expect a certain amount of ravaging.

(In case you were too busy being rational to detect it, please don’t miss the disdain this note is drenched with.)

Mike Ruetz
Greer, SC

The Ritz on July 18, 2006 at 10:13 AM

Uhhhh, Cohen; the U.S. is a mistake as well. Remember why we call Native American ‘Indians’? Of course, ours was not a ‘mistake’ made by the U.N.. I suppose if the Cherokees and Navahoes started dropping missles on New York City, he might have a different attitude.

Actually, I agree the way Israel was set up was a raw deal for the Palestineans. But they- like the Nationalist Chinese driven to Taiwan in the late 40s- had choices to make; the choices they made was not to move forward, but backward (like to the 7th Century- with 20th century armaments).

Mike O on July 18, 2006 at 10:22 AM

I have never understood the phenomenon of the “self-hating Jew,” but then I never understood “self-hating Americans,” most of whom are not Jewish. What I can say is that the “self-hating” actually love themsleves as being morally superior to the others in their group of origin, whom they do truly hate.

Our Islamic enemies do not suffer from any “self-hate” in their ranks. The phenomenon of “self-hate” could truly defeat Western Civilization as it is a nihilism that drains the will to exist, much less defend. If we lose (and we won’t, if persons like us here have any influence), persons like Cohen will be the first to meet horrible deaths.

ptolemy on July 18, 2006 at 10:35 AM

Until the cultures of Judaism and Islam develop the ability to ‘forgive’ thine enemy, the fighting will by mandate continue.
Hezbollah richly deserves as Hamas does to get their butts kicked up between their shoulder blades. However it’s the deep rooted no forgiveness culture that perpetuates the attack and revenge mandate.

Speakup on July 18, 2006 at 10:51 AM

Well OF COURSE it’s Israel’s fault, IF YOU IGNORE HISTORY. Who was there first? Well, it wasn’t Islam!

NRA4Freedom on July 18, 2006 at 10:53 AM

The name “Cohen” means he’s a descendent of a the Levites–the ones charged with priestly duties. They weren’t allowed to own property, but received tithe money for the other tribes. They were responsible for performing all the sacrifices and other holy rituals.

Way to shirk responsibility, Cohen.

JamesVersusEveryone on July 18, 2006 at 10:58 AM

Its good to be appreciated isn’t it? Everything Jewish is a mistake especially Jewish nationalism

Wonder if someone in the MSM would have the balls to suggest Palestinian Nationalism is a mistake

Defector01 on July 18, 2006 at 11:12 AM

Does this moron Cohen realize that before the 7th century, there were no muslims?

But in this dopes mind, the religion of peace was there first!

Bob Mileti on July 18, 2006 at 11:24 AM

Well, at least Cohen is transparent in his bias. It is clear to me that White Guilt is fueled by Jewish self-loathing.

Kid from Brooklyn on July 18, 2006 at 11:37 AM

What jaw-droppingly stupid reasoning by Cohen. He’s essentially lending his credibility to the idea that Hezbollah, Hamas, Iran, and everybody else has stated over and over, i.e. that Israel should be wiped out (after all, aren’t mistakes supposed to be corrected?).

This is another great example of what makes one scratch their head in befuddlement over the fact that a majority of the Jewish population in this country favors the left (i.e. a political wing that would gladly deliver them all to their executioners).

thirteen28 on July 18, 2006 at 11:39 AM

Your post, ptolemy, reminds me of something I recently either heard or read: Moral superiority produces paralysis… and, to those who don’t subscribe, fury.

That said, I can’t help but wonder what Cohen might do should some Muslim malcontent decide to dispatch him because of his family name.

Aunt B on July 18, 2006 at 12:16 PM

As if Mr. Jihad were to read his screed and consider its merits as exculpatory evidence before forcibly making him one foot shorter.

Kid from Brooklyn on July 18, 2006 at 12:26 PM

The mistake was trying to genocide the European Jewish Population back in the early 1940’s.

moc23 on July 18, 2006 at 1:18 PM

Jesus H. Tap Dancing Christ this is the stupidest thing I have read by a so-called intelligent man in like, oh forever.
I think I’ll go get a very large drink and try and forget Mr. Cohen. What a gold-plated maroon.

Ellen on July 18, 2006 at 1:19 PM

Hear me, O Israel!

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT LISTEN TO THE MSM, THE UN, THE EU, OR NOT EVEN TO OUR OWN STATE DEPARTMENT!

DO WHAT MUST BE DONE TO DEFEND YOURSELVES. DO NOT PERMIT YOURSELVES TO BULLIED.

DO NOT PERMIT YOURSELVES TO BECOME INFECTED WITH PC LIKE TOO MANY AMERICANS HAVE BEEN INFECTED.

DO NOT SURRENDER ANY MORE LAND.

ISRAEL HAS NOT DEVOTED ITSELF TO TERRORISM. HEZNOBALLSA, HAMAS, THE OXI-MORON BRIGADE, ETC, HAVE DONE THAT.

YOU MUST BE THE PREPARATION H OF THE MIDDLE EAST AND DESTROY THE ANTROPORMORPHIC HEMRRHOIDAL TERRORISTS.

DO NOT GIVE IN. DO NOT SURRENDER.

The False Dervish on July 18, 2006 at 1:38 PM

Cohen is a stupid fuck, not at all merely in the sense that I despise him, although I certainly do now, but in the strict sense that he’s flat wrong. Israel was not a mistake; it was planned. Moreover, it was not well-intentioned for the old inhabitants, although it certainly was well-intentioned with regard to the new ones.

You will hear me out.

Israel was planned in accordance with the Machiavellian doctrine that new foundings always make use of means that are later judged criminal. It was planned in recognition of the Machiavellian doctrine that the land is always occupied. I don’t honor the claims of the Israeli Jews on a Biblical basis or for any other reason having to do with the superiority of their title to the land. I honor their claim to the land for the simple reason that I could very well live among the Israeli Jews, but I could never live among the Palestinians or among any devout muslim people. And I honor the Israeli Jewish claim to the land for the even simpler reason that I like them better; I like smart people better than I like stupid people.

Kralizec on July 18, 2006 at 2:02 PM

I am completely pro Israel. In hindsight however, it might have been less of a mess to have carved out a piece of Germany for the displaced Jews after the war. These people were European after all, and given what befell them, why did they have to be the ones to be uprooted?

Water under the bridge.

honora on July 18, 2006 at 2:37 PM

Do you consider that Cohen got the byline because his being Jewish meant that he couldn’t be accused of anti-Semitism? But That anyone who refuted him could be? “Don’t question his faith! That’s wrong!” Ann Coulter-I think we have a subject for your next article.

Doug on July 18, 2006 at 3:05 PM

honora-respectfully, no-they weren’t Europeans. They were the outcasts of every society down through the ages, and everyone’s hand has been against them. Jews were dispersed throughout the world, and to ‘carve out’ a part of Germany for them would have been to continue the ostracizing they had endured when forced to live within the white pale. I’m pro-Israel also-and I see God’s hand in their being re-established in the land which He promised to them. He didn’t promise them a suburb in Germany.

Doug on July 18, 2006 at 3:12 PM

Doug–the oldest neighborhood in Rome is Jewish; Jews have been a major part of Europe for centuries, not to mention a major part of the culture.

(I’ve been to Israel and I’ve been to Germany–if “He” promised the Jews Israel, “He” must be quite the anti-semite!!)

honora on July 18, 2006 at 3:34 PM

A little culture comparison here.

What is interesting is Cohen is allowed to say what he said. If a Muslim “took sides against the family” ala Cohen, he would have to spend the rest of his days in fear of his life.

moc23 on July 19, 2006 at 5:29 PM