DCCC fundraising ad shows flag-draped coffins

posted at 3:18 pm on July 12, 2006 by Allahpundit

Red State’s got it. Just follow the link.

I’m in no position to throw stones when it comes to using images of fallen soldiers to make a political point. Nor do I consider it some huge affront that this sort of thing would be done in the context of fundraising. The cash nexus casts an odor, but it’s cash that will be applied to address a problem that the images truthfully depict. If Vets for Freedom figured out a way to use the Tucker and Menchaca video to raise money to defeat the insurgency, I’d support them.

But I wouldn’t support Republicans putting it in a campaign ad, for the same reason I think it’s cheap and crass of the DCCC to have added coffins to the mix here. I think it boils down to good ol’ fashioned suspicion of politicians: the priority for most of them is getting (re-)elected and I don’t want anyone’s remains being exploited for that sort of personal profit. Advocacy groups, pro-war or anti-, are different.

There’s also a difference, of course, between using an image of the deceased to rally support for the cause he died serving versus using it to undermine that cause. The latter, to me, feels like kicking the corpse; to the left, I’m sure, it’s redemptive as a cautionary tale, like those vehicle safety movies they showed in driver’s ed. If our model here is “Why We Fight,” theirs is “Blood on the Highway.”

Anyway. If they’re willing to sow the wind with death photos, so be it. They’ll reap the whirlwind when the backlash comes. It’s definitely worth watching the ad, just to see how cartoonish and completely devoid of ideas (save for clean energy) it is. Goldstein has more on that point.

I’ll add in closing that I don’t think Red State’s interpretation of DeLay’s police slate is quite right. Here’s the image:

dccc.jpg

Erick wonders, “Is September 11, 2008, to be the day the GOP gets wiped out by Democrats?” That’s not the message, I don’t think, and not merely because it makes zero electoral sense in terms of the date. As I read it, they’re accusing the GOP preemptively of trying to make 9/11 the key issue of the 2008 campaign.

Which, let’s face it, will probably happen.

Why?

Because 2008 is Giuliani time, baby.

Update: Someone just e-mailed me to say they suspect the mug shot of DeLay is photoshopped. I’m sure that it is, and not just because of the police slate. DeLay’s actual mugshot famously showed him beaming out a big bright smile — precisely because he knew the Dems would use the shot in their campaign ads.

Update: One of our readers makes a nice catch. The DeLay mugshot image from the DCCC ad appears to come from WhiteHouse.org. Yeah, that WhiteHouse.org. The one that’s going to help them take back the Christian vote in November.

Comments

If Rudy runs in the General, Rudy wins. But can he get out of the primaries? Very questionable.

Pablo on July 12, 2006 at 3:22 PM

Rudy has a record of being pro-gay rights, pro-gun control and pro-choice. Plus his marital problems don’t really fit in well with the GOP’s “family values” stance.

Rabid fundies on the right will make sure he’ll never get the GOP nod.

better off blue on July 12, 2006 at 3:38 PM

Pablo beat me to it. I know Rudy wouldn’t dhim out on foreign policy, but his gay, gun and abortion views will go over like the turd in the proverbial punchbowl. That being said, social issues are really state issues, and not likely something he will get to sign into law one way or the other. For all its warts, Congress is NOT the NY City Council; so I can live with Rudy in the Oval Office. I gotta support my fellow Kids from Brooklyn.

Kid from Brooklyn on July 12, 2006 at 3:42 PM

Rudy can moderate a couple positions and be palatable to the right. Those perhaps were stronger issues years ago.

Then 9/11 happened. Without national security, no other issues matter. Find me a lefty who has more national security cred than Rudy.

JammieWearingFool on July 12, 2006 at 3:55 PM

I am angry beyond words.

I have just called Emmanuel’s Chicago office and forcefully complained. I called it obscene and pathetic to use the bodies of dead US soldiers to raise money for the Democratic Party.

Rahm Emmanuel is the chair of the DCCC and is responsible for the ad and everything else the DCCC does.

georgej on July 12, 2006 at 3:56 PM

See what happens when you have no actual ideas?

Clark1 on July 12, 2006 at 4:04 PM

Without a doubt a question mark vis a vis the primaries. But I would take Rudy over McVain any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

There are a few issues with Rudy I don’t see eye-to-eye on, particularly social issues where I think he’s a bit liberal for my tastes, and he will have to rethink his gun control position to win the Rep. nomination. But if he enforces immigration laws (and other laws) the way he enforced laws in NYC and goes after terrorists with the same vigor with which he went after the mob during his stint as a federal prosecutor, then he would certainly have my attention, and quite possibly, my vote.

As for the main topic of this thread, what do you expect from the classless Dems? It would be more suprising if they didn’t stoop to that level.

thirteen28 on July 12, 2006 at 4:30 PM

Another “Do as I say, not as I do” moment from the Democrats I suppose.

GT on July 12, 2006 at 4:51 PM

Truly despicable. The DCCC has gone too far. How dare they!?! They vote to go into Iraq, then lied about it, then claim they were lied to about WMD, then we found WMD’s, but the wrong WMD’s…. Everything out of their mouths for months/years about our military in Iraq has been negative, extremely negative, but now they wish to capitalize on the deaths of soldiers? Its sub-human selfishness at its worst.
There seems to be but ONE altruistic congressperson/senate or house or any officeholder…Tom Tancredo.
He says the truth, not just anything to get a vote, but the truth. How refreshing. He’s leading just by being HONEST. Shame on all who place personal gains above the lives of Americans. Shame on those who also manipulate the deaths of Americans, American heroes for votes and their egomaniacal goals.
If the energy spent on this garbage was put to good use, I just wonder what might get done. And we say “politically correct”, THAT’S an oxymoron.
But no, they will sell their souls to Illegal Mexicans for a vote, sell out to muslims with bombs for a vote or two, you know the stories. What about serving your Country folks. Any one person is just NOT that damn important. We can do without you.

shooter on July 12, 2006 at 5:03 PM

Mark me as a rabid fundy, we DON”T nedd another RINO in the White House.

Duty, Honor, Country
(in THAT order)
Rowane

Rowane on July 12, 2006 at 5:42 PM

Rep. Tom Delay surrendered in Harris County, not Travis County….definitely photoshopped.

gary on July 12, 2006 at 5:45 PM

An offensive video made for offensive people…oh well.

Joe on July 12, 2006 at 9:13 PM

As a veteran, I’m not sure I’m offended by the views of our Men’s coffins. I’m not offended by the visions of our Men’s memorial services. I don’t think I am mad at the Dhimmicrats for their use of these images. I expect it of them. Because they want to win at all costs — except when it truly matters.

What truly offends me is different than their use of a vision of memorials to Brave Men in a DCCC commercial.

I’m offended that the Dhimmicrats would think I would agree with them that the blame for our Men’s Deaths lies with George W Bush and the Republicans.

Their deaths are due to Saddam Hussein’s refusal to disarm, to allow inspectors unfettered access to his WMD programs, to his failure to respect the terms of the Gulf War 1991 Cease Fire agreement. Their deaths are due to Saddam’s stupidity.

Their deaths are due to the teachings of imams who think Islam and its specific requirements for violent jihad is the only acceptable way to live one’s life. Their deaths are due to the despicable and unhinged behavior towards non-Muslims of radical Islamofascists, and the brainwashing of normal Muslims everywhere by their mainstream (yes, I said mainstream, Abu) imams and ayatollahs to believe that Muslims’ misery is everyone’s fault but their own.

Their deaths were due to Iraqi and Taliban terrorists’ refusal to allow the innocent natives in either theatre to pursue their own lives peacefully, or to have one iota of honesty and honorable intent to better the lives of their Iraqi or Afghani subjects. In fact, these jackasses have only an unmitigated and irrational nightmare plan to subjugate all weaker men and their children to serve as their slaves for life, and to subject every Muslim and nonMuslim woman to their basest sexual urges and at these animals’ convenience.

No, I’m not offended that the Dhimmicrats use images of my deceased comrades, friends and relatives to make their political point. (I have seen Republicans do some similar things long ago on a much smaller scale and much less egregiously, but they did some of these same things in pursuit of political points. The Dhimmicrats have just made this an art now.

As an example, can Republicans seriously agree that “Peace with Honor” in VietNam is that much different than “Cut and Run” in Iraq. Both positions abandon our allies to their certain deaths after we made them stand up and be counted. I do realize that the Dhimmicrats were the cause of both of those positions, although Peace with Honor was a Nixon Admin. position. Nixon was forced into that politically by the Dhimmicrat controlled Congress of the day, including Teddy Kennedy and others’ push to stop military aid to South VietNam just when they needed it most and when we had left them alone — only to take away their ability to defend themselves also.)

Am I offended? Not really. It is politics, the cheapest political stunt possible.

I am not surprised either. Currently, the Dhimmicrat party has lost the ability to understand what Honor is, what Determination (to see the most difficult endeavors to the end) is, and what Victory actually means to our country. It does not mean Peace with Honor. It does not mean “Leave Iraq So We Can Claim Victory”. It most certainly does not mean “Cut and Run”, or fight Iraqi terrorists from our foxholes in Okinawa. Since 1968, the Dhimmicrat party has forgotten these things and lost their nerve, their backbone, and their courage when it comes to defending America.

Honor, Determination, and Victory are defined by the words of Winston Churchill on 13 May 1940 when he took up the leadership of Great Britain in the House of Commons upon collapse of the appeasement administration of the British government:

“I say to the House as I said to ministers who have joined this government, I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many months of struggle and suffering.”

“You ask, what is our policy? I say it is to wage war by land, sea, and air. War with all our might and with all the strength God has given us, and to wage war against a monstrous tyranny never surpassed in the dark and lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy.”

“You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is Victory. Victory at all costs – Victory in spite of all terrors – Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without Victory there is no Survival.”

It isn’t called Great Britain for nothing. Sir Winston Churchill is a primary reason this is so. And the tyranny we faced in May 1940 is EXACTLY as heinous and dangerous as the tyranny of Islamic rule and subjugation of the Free World we face today. Anyone who says it isn’t doesn’t know what it was like in 1940, and has no grasp of what is going on in the world today.

Am I offended? No. Am I disgusted, unsurprised, and saddened that the Dhimmicrats would use the images to further their aims of political victories at the expense of American safety and security? Probably, yes. I am just too used to the unserious postulations and childish attitudes of Dhimmicrat leaders who think retreating is advancing, who think losing is winning, who think firm and determined leadership is actually stupid and stubborn behavior, and who would believe exactly the opposite was true if only a Dhimmicrat was their President. I’m not offended.

But I’m not fooled either.

Subsunk

Subsunk on July 12, 2006 at 10:55 PM

It is cheap and crass. Exactly the same description of the Bush/Cheney ads using 9/11 imagary. Goose or gander, it’s still sauce.

honora on July 13, 2006 at 10:44 AM

It shows that they cross any line, say anything or do anything to get back in power.

I was amused to see the Superdome picture, wasn’t that Ray Nagins town? Oh that’s right, the Dems take the black vote for granted, ok to throw them under the bus.

dallas94 on July 13, 2006 at 11:54 AM

Rahm Emmanuel…

As long as another commenter has brought up Rahm Emmanuel anyway, I want to ask, does anybody else think the man looks like a cadaver? How did someone who looks so much like death warmed over manage to make it so far in politics?

Kralizec on July 15, 2006 at 3:30 AM