Video: FBI says tunnel-plot leak has hurt investigation

posted at 2:28 pm on July 7, 2006 by Allahpundit

By causing “upsetment” with foreign intelligence agencies. Like I said this morning, who cares when there’s a scoop to be had?

Note that not all of the eight suspects are in custody yet. If they didn’t know someone was onto them, they do now.

If you missed the earlier post about how the Times’s SWIFT story might play into all this, now’s your chance.

Update: Sounds like there are only three in custody: the Lebanese mastermind and two more.

Comments

One thing that must be further explored are the clear indications that these actions were taken prematurely, due to leaks of some kind. The FBI was clear in indicating someone leaked something (was it the NY Times stories or something new) which made the FBI move early. And possibly miss some key targets who had not been completely identified yet. Here is my live blogging of the news conference for those interested.

AJStrata

AJStrata on July 7, 2006 at 2:45 PM

Our lack of prosecuting leakers who blatantly BREAK THE LAW, has emboldened them. I don’t see much hoopla from the left about THESE types of leaks – only the ones that “out” a glorified secretary at the CIA.

pullingmyhairout on July 7, 2006 at 2:50 PM

Have our people lost their minds? Keep your mouth shut and be smart, or run your mouth and be stupid………..

I may have just answered my own question.

Shmo on July 7, 2006 at 2:54 PM

How about for those who imperile our national security by leaking invaluable information on the war against terrorism lose their citizenship by dropping them off in Afghanistan?

Kokonut on July 7, 2006 at 2:55 PM

Next time I’m on the PATH train to New York from Hoboken and see someone reading the New York Times, I’m gonna beat them.

skwired on July 7, 2006 at 3:07 PM

Without a doubt. The failure of the WH and Justice to pursue these leakers and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law is only encouraged more of the same, so they have nobody but themselves to blame for not putting a stop to it. Why Mary McCarthy hasn’t been charged with treason yet is beyond me. Yet the only investigation this WH/Justice Dept. will let go on is the “outing” of a faux-secret agent that is used as a tool by the president’s political enemies. I know you’re a Christian W., but you are taking the “turn the other cheek” thing more than a bit too far.

thirteen28 on July 7, 2006 at 3:14 PM

If something (God forbid) does happen, and it just happens to be that it could have been prevented, but was not because of the NY Times (and other traitors)- they should prosecute Keller and the rest of the treasonous MSM for impeding ongoing investigations and further acting as accessories to mass murder.

Rick on July 7, 2006 at 3:35 PM

I read or heard somewhere over the past few days that the DOJ is “quietly” persuing the leakers. I say..find them, try them and DONT do it quietly!

labwrs on July 7, 2006 at 3:36 PM

“Dont do it quietly is right,” labwrs, they should trumpet it from the rooftops.

There will be another attack here in the US, and the NYSlimes will be to blame for it. whether they are held to account for it is another story.

I think our government has lost the will to protect our country, a government is a living thing and when a living thing loses the will to protect itself it will soon lose the will to live.

Duty, Honor, Country
(in THAT order)
Rowane

Rowane on July 7, 2006 at 6:18 PM

Frogmarch them!

Kokonut on July 7, 2006 at 7:53 PM

Bomb Mecca & Medina with pigs. No Muslim will be able to enter paradise.

VonHelton on July 8, 2006 at 2:34 AM

In a maddening conversation with someone I would call a “delusional conservative,” I nearly lost it when he described those I would label “traitors,” in our midst, as having, “the same goal; different approaches.” I’m just “too damned harsh” for thinking otherwise. I “need to get a grip.” The latter, however tempting, prompted thoughts of arrest, so I didn’t.

Aunt B on July 8, 2006 at 9:30 AM

Definitely a bad leak. I don’t see any overriding public interest (say, if the government were breaking the law, or violating Americans’ rights) that would make up for the harm done to this law enforcement investigation by its premature revelation.

Mark Jaquith on July 9, 2006 at 3:01 AM