Breaking: Decision reached on Yale Taliban; Update: Talibanned

posted at 6:38 pm on July 5, 2006 by Allahpundit

Just got an e-mail from Clinton Watson Taylor of the “Nail Yale” blog, which is currently offline while Town Hall works out the bugs. A reporter from the New York Times called him this afternoon for reaction to the news that Yale has reached a decision on whether Rahmatullah Hashemi, the former ambassador-at-large for the Taliban who’s been studying in New Haven under a student visa, should return to campus in the fall.

Clint asked me not to blow the guy’s scoop by revealing the outcome; I told him I wouldn’t if he’d write something for us once the story appears later tonight. And so it was agreed. Keep your eyes on the Times and on this space for further details.

Update: Simple, but sweet.

Update: We gave the Times a fair chance, but it’s seven hours later and there’s still nothing on their site. And we promised you a scoop. Clint Taylor breaks the news below. Please note that Alan Finder, the reporter from the Times with whom Clint spoke, didn’t ask him to keep it secret so no confidences are being betrayed here.

Buh-bye, Hashemi.

The New York Times’ education reporter, Alan Finder, told me that he has been in contact with the Boola Boola Mullah’s financial backers , and they say he hasn’t been admitted to the regular degree program at Yale. He may have a few credits left in his current program, so he might be back for one more semester or so in the fall, but he won’t graduate from Yale.

This is a bizarre, freakish chapter in Yale’s history, and even though I’m glad Sayed Rahmatullah Hashemi is leaving, I actually hope the story isn’t over. I hope that Yale will continue to examine the root causes of this awful decision. Right now Yale is a place that forbids ROTC from training on campus on one hand, but at the same time welcomes an unrepentant high official of one of the vilest regimes in recent history. In 2002, Yale turned down an opportunity to admit a group of academically qualified Afghan women, but a couple of years later they admit their oppressor. There’s something culturally wrong with a place that tolerates that sort cognitive dissonance and I hope they try to fix it.

One would think the Left would celebrate this as a victory for liberal values. They won’t. I’ve tried to give them every opportunity to get on board what I thought ought to be a bi-partisan issue. Everyone hates the woman-beating, finger-chopping, head-hacking, gay-smashing, terrorist-abetting Taliban, right? Apparently, not as much as they hate Fox News and John Fund. With a very few exceptions, they have done nothing but complain about how the right has tried to score points off this issue, even as they tried to score points off of the conservative media. So let me anticipate two of their reactions to Hashemi’s rejection:

First, they will say that Yale has politicized its admissions process in response to criticism. But I say they politicized the process when they first admitted a high official of an evil regime we are still at war with, one that is still killing our troops in Afghanistan. If they couldn’t see the country being outraged, they’re unspeakably naïve.

Second, they’ll say that Hashemi was just a poor little lamb who had gone astray, and he has repented of his Taliban service. I addressed the first objection in these two columns (these are google caches until Townhall gets its archives back on line), but as for his being repentant: I challenge anyone to show me anything he’s done or said to prove he’s repented of his service to the Taliban. The most they can show is a mild dissent from a few pronouncements of the hard-line cleric, and as we all know, dissent is the highest form of patriotism. Hashemi has done far less to oppose the Taliban than…

…well, than The New York Times’ Eric Lichtblau and James Risen have done recently to assist them.

There is a lot of soul-searching my alma mater needs to do before they can begin to regain the trust and respect that America once placed in it. There is still a lot of good stuff about Yale, and I started this campaign in order to help it, not to tear it down. Now Yale has to figure out what it is that it really stands for. You know that song, “You’ve got to stand for something, or you’ll fall for anything?” Yale fell for a Taliban diplomat’s smooth talk, and frankly, I think they wanted to be deceived. Let’s hope they learn from their mistake.

Thanks to the Hot Air people for giving me this space to blow off a little steam. Thanks to all of you who have followed the issue and especially to those of you who wrote in to Yale and sent in those press-on nails. Hopefully my Townhall blog will be up and running again soon for a victory lap.

And kudos to the Times’s Alan Finder. The scoop is his.

Update: Here’s the Times’s article. He’s been denied admission to the degree-granting program for nontraditional students. He can continue to take classes, up to a maximum of 18 (he’s already taken five or six). Quote:

Mrs. Maxwell said she and Mr. Hashemi’s other backers hoped he could apply again next year to the degree-granting program.

If he ultimately cannot pursue a degree at Yale, he will probably try to do so at another university in the United States, she said, adding that a number of alumni and others not connected to Yale had come forward to offer to help Mr. Hashemi after he became a controversial figure this spring.

Update: Clint Taylor, media star! CT e-mails to say he’ll be on Tammy Bruce’s radio show at 1:30 ET/10:30 PT, and on Hannity & Colmes tonight. Tune in.

Comments

Sorry, not looking at the Tiimes from now on, so I’ll wait for it to appear here.

meep on July 5, 2006 at 6:43 PM

Ditto
I want this guy out
They would have ****-fits if a former Israeli who had served in the army and in the West Bank had applied and gotten in.

Defector01 on July 5, 2006 at 6:44 PM

He… emailed you… to tell you news… and asked you…not to tell anyone… and you have a news blog…

Kevin M on July 5, 2006 at 6:46 PM

Allah, remember, no matter how successful this is, and legal, you are not impartial and the public has a right to know :)

Entelechy on July 5, 2006 at 6:58 PM

I bet he stays.

He is anti-American. He is not interested in learning the facts and works of the great Western heritage; he is only interested in “deconstructing” it. He is not Christian.

In other words, he is the ideal left-wing Ivy League student.

januarius on July 5, 2006 at 7:01 PM

Are we taking bets?

I’ll bet against USA’s best interests because that’s what liberal Yale will do….uh..I bet.

NTWR on July 5, 2006 at 7:21 PM

Allah, with that attitude you will NEVER get a job with the Times

Wyrd on July 5, 2006 at 7:31 PM

NTWR: “Are we taking bets?

Well, if we are placing bets, put me down for he will not be granted permanant student status. He might continue as a non-degree earning student, but I don’t think so.

But then again, nobody gives a damn about what sort of “might” situation I could come up with. It’s a bet, which means I need to quit stalling, come up with a position, and put my money where my mouth is. So, my bet?

I’ll put money that he won’t get to stay as a degree earning student. No way, no how.

EFG on July 5, 2006 at 7:33 PM

Blackmail! Well done, Allah!

Patterico on July 5, 2006 at 7:50 PM

Did he at least give you an approximate time at which the result will be revealed? Some of us gotta go eat.

-FOG (Fat Old Guy)

Fogpig on July 5, 2006 at 7:58 PM

Saudis are getting student visas by the thousands so what makes this so important?

docdave on July 5, 2006 at 8:18 PM

If a reporter from the New York Times called him to get his reaction then the guy will be allowed back in.

I too refuse to read anything from the Treasonous Times.

DannoJyd on July 5, 2006 at 8:40 PM

He will be elected student body president at Yale, then will go on to a successful Hollywood acting/activist career, marry Barbara Streisand and produce the “G-Had Rap” segment of the Democratic National Convention in 2012.

speed647 on July 5, 2006 at 9:39 PM

NTWR and EFG:

I bet that he is granted some sort of status that allows (and probably encourages him) to stay on at Yale. He fits in there – virulent Anti-American that has similar values to the left ideology at Yale.

He might even be encouraged to teach some non-sense class there for college credit – his only qualification is his political correctness.

They will pay the way for an enemy of the Untied States to study at an Ivy League school but I am also willing to bet they would discourage a Veteran from attending and would not cooperate with grants or financial assistance.

He probably could have gone to Princeton, Harvard, or Yale – all the same left wing ideology and anti-american sentiment from what I can see.

omegaram on July 5, 2006 at 9:46 PM

I predict he will be offered tenure tract professorship at the University of Colorado in the field of Ethnic Studies.

They do have an opening coming up soon…

EFG on July 5, 2006 at 11:25 PM

I remember someone else made a similar prediction about Hashemi going to CU, but I can’t remeber where exactly I read it to give credit to this person. Oh well.

EFG on July 5, 2006 at 11:33 PM

This guy said it first. I merely aped his words here.

EFG on July 5, 2006 at 11:50 PM

Now over at the temple
Oh! they really pack em in
The in crowd say its cool
To dig this chanting thing
But as the wind changed direction
The temple band took five
The crowd caught a wiff
Of that crazy casbah jive

DanM on July 6, 2006 at 12:03 AM

No kidding! Well, color me wrong yet pleased at the outcome.

DannoJyd on July 6, 2006 at 1:03 AM

NTWR, omegaram, you can now see that I was right. Or at least not quantifiably wrong. So I will expect the $50 you each owe me to be sent post haste. It is true, the amount of bet and other critical details (such as actually agreeing to a bet) were a little vague or none-existant, but I think I am being eminently fair in my expectations.

Any protestations to the contrary will be met with legal repercusions.

Yours truely,

EFG, Esquire

EFG on July 6, 2006 at 1:18 AM

Allahpundit, are you Clint Taylor?

EFG on July 6, 2006 at 1:23 AM

Doh! A closer reading of your post reveals that Clint Taylor is the one who breaks the news and writes the update, but isn’t tied to Allahpundit.

Never mind….

EFG on July 6, 2006 at 1:26 AM

I was thinking more Clint Howard EFG,but I digress.
Good one Allah!

bbz123 on July 6, 2006 at 1:30 AM

Don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

Mortis on July 6, 2006 at 2:25 AM

Yale has made the right choice here, but I predict we’re going to see a lot of whining in the near-future from the academy.

It’s been largely ignored by the major media in favor of breaking news, but there is a lot of bad news coming out of higher education lately.

–Yale may have been misusing federal funds.

–Princeton recently acknowledged spending donor funds for a different purpose.

–A chancellor committed suicide

–Another chancellor spent a lot of state money refurbishing the house given to him for the job.

Combine those stories with the news that Ward Churchill has promised to make the dismissal process costly, and you have the recipe for a taxpayer revolt of sorts against the costs of higher education and the concept of tenure.

Expect to hear the term “academic freedom” thrown around quite a bit in the next few months, as people begin to realize just how out-of-control things have gotten in many quarters of American higher education. As one who works in higher ed, I believe that academic freedom is an important principle, but am increasingly upset by its use as political cover for inexcusable actions.

Slublog on July 6, 2006 at 8:39 AM

So he isnt in but he IS in..semantics ..mere semantics. And there are “other people not associated with Yale” who want to HELP this cretin? ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! People never cease to amaze me.

labwrs on July 6, 2006 at 8:41 AM

EFG, you were right!
AP, it’s very unsettling when the practitioners of political correctness find a minority whose beliefs fly in the face of all that’s PC, and they follow blindly, not wanting to be seen as “discriminatory” or “oppressors.” It shows how weak liberalism is, and how quickly it could morph into a totalitarian theocracy or socialist/communist regime. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Let’s make up some likely NYT headlines, for fun.
Here:
Right Wing Extremists Pressure Yale to Discriminate
Conservatives Fail to Completely Oust Talibani from Yale
A Victory or Minorities as Talibani Takes Courses

NTWR on July 6, 2006 at 9:11 AM

I think a larger question needs to be asked…

Why does this guy have a student Visa?

Why isn’t he being quietly escorted to a plane???

Romeo13 on July 6, 2006 at 10:23 AM

Not a chance in hell he comes to Colorado. Dont think he could survive the long winters here…thats 7 maybe 8 hunting seasons.

shooter on July 6, 2006 at 10:31 AM

Well, yeah. I mean, what part of destroying America don’t you unnerstan?

Doubtless some liberal, W hating, America hating entertainment type who would have been long since murdered by Mr Hashemi’s recent employers is willing to pony up whatever funds are needed to allow him to remain here and take advantage of all his bosses ardently wished to destroy.

It is mental disorder you know….

ScottG on July 6, 2006 at 10:33 AM

More NYT (New York Taliban) Headlines:

Taliban Takes on the Establishment

Taliban – The Last Opressed Minority?

Taliban Pride, Taliban Sorrow

Ivy League Shocker: Taliban Need Not Apply

Why Me? Cries Taliban Student

Jesus Would Have Embraced Taliban Say Campus Religious Leaders

Campus Counselor Apologizes for ‘Headless Horseman’ Joke

Burka, Burka, Taliban Lurka Cartoonist Expelled

Wrap Your Head in a Towel Day to Honor Oppressed Taliban

entagor on July 6, 2006 at 1:55 PM

RAHMATULLAH HASHEMI: Yaliban no more.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on July 6, 2006 at 2:44 PM

Scott G..SORRY..I forgot!

labwrs on July 6, 2006 at 3:13 PM

The Muslim Student UNion and Society for Peace and Social Justice at Yale will be having an oppress women into burka day to show support for the Taliban-student. The LGBT organization and NOW chapter on campus have agreed to co-sponsor the event out of their desire to show tolerance and respect. The event will include the stoning of a homosexual and the whipping of a woman who wears makeup.

Defector01 on July 6, 2006 at 3:55 PM

Yale’s deleteriousness aside, I’d still like to know how he got a visa.

“Why is he at Yale?” is a good question. “Why is he in my country?” is an even better one.

Pablo on July 6, 2006 at 10:01 PM