Holiday weekend: Gallup polls patriotism

posted at 3:16 pm on July 3, 2006 by Allahpundit

If you’re going to read it, read it now. It’ll be behind a reg wall tomorrow.

patriotism1.png

Compare the numbers at the link from January 2001 to now.

From the land of binge drinking, spiraling crime rates, and Palestinian apologias comes another poll, this one expressing contempt for the cruelty and vulgarity of modern America. Ahem. And here’s an article from ABC News about the resurgence in German patriotism with an, er, unusual headline:

patriotism2.png

Is “Kraut” back in the lexicon of usable ethnic terms? Because if this Iran thing plays out the way I suspect it will, I know a lot of people who are going to want to use it.

Comments

Theres one category I wish they’d have put in the Poll…

Wish they’d told us where these people lived… as in Large city, city, town, country….

I also didn’t see ethnic data…

Romeo13 on July 3, 2006 at 3:23 PM

Of course, ‘Kraut’ is acceptable. Only ‘oppressed minorities’ (Asians aren’t included here) are permitted to be offended at even the slightest hint of name-calling. Of course, that’s just one cracker’s opinion.

Mike O on July 3, 2006 at 3:28 PM

The more money you make, the more likely you are to be extremely proud. Duh.

honora on July 3, 2006 at 3:36 PM

I am very proud to be an American. This country settles disputes by an appeal to law, not family connections, not tribalism, not clan membership; that is a major step forward in history. This country allows the creation of wealth because we respect individual property rights. When you invest in America through the purchase of individual stocks or through mutual funds not one asks your racial group or religious affiliation. This country allows freedom of thought. Whether your neighbors are moonbats or a wingnuts they have the right to write to the newspaper or speak on talk radio. We have a real range of candidates to chose from, diverse solutions from Dennis Kucinich or John McCain. Our nation leads the world in technological progress; the solutions to the energy crisis aren’t going to come from Islamic nations. Our best days are ahead of us. We don’t want to move to France or Cuba, the future isn’t in those places.

mkstach on July 3, 2006 at 3:40 PM

Well said, mkstach.

NTWR on July 3, 2006 at 3:42 PM

HONORA, that IS the dumbest , most ignorant thing I’ve ever heard. Get out of the house. Heck, go somewhere overseas, travel a little and see 6-7 other countries and then when you get back to the USA you will feel different. Unless of course your mind is made up and facts dont matter.
After hitch-hiking thru 13 countries and seeing the world a little, I kissed the ground upon my return to this GREAT country.

shooter on July 3, 2006 at 3:54 PM

honora …. I have to agree with shooter. That is a pretty dumb statement. I’ve never had much but what I have I’ve earned on my own. I couldn’t be prouder of my country.

darwin on July 3, 2006 at 4:23 PM

What’s the matter with the Democrats? I was just as proud to be an American under President B. Clinton. It’s as if they are the Krauts, before the soccer-craze. I like it that the Germans are relaxing a little. They should be proud of their team. Patriotism all over Europe has become colloquial and non-elite. Citizens of the World is the ‘educated’ and ‘progressive’ aim!

It is so cliche to measure the real state of affairs in a country by how many wish to immigrate or to leave. And still, it is the best measurement. Not even the grumpy ones on the left are leaving in droves, though they threaten often, the ‘courageous’ little ones.

The Britts…never mind.

Entelechy on July 3, 2006 at 4:25 PM

hmmmm….Dhimmicrats at home, and DhimmiKrauts abroad. Has a nice ring to it.

Kid from Brooklyn on July 3, 2006 at 4:39 PM

I wish that all those that don’t love our country would pick their asses up and go elsewhere; ungrateful wretches that they are.

docdave on July 3, 2006 at 4:51 PM

Honora is only partially correct. Those who are wealthy feel pretty good about the opportunities in America. But those who desire to be wealthy also feel good. There are open doors here that do not exist in other places. We don’t need to pay bribes to officials to conduct business at city hall. Someone can start a small business here and make a fortune. The orphaned immigrant, Carnegie in the 1800s, a couple of guys in a garage in Silicon Valley in the 1970s, and some entrepreneur we don’t yet know about share the vision of Ben Franklin.

There is also a connection between wealth and literacy. People in the middle class or higher are more likely to read books instead of watching Jerry Springer. This might color their understanding of the government. So, even with the NPR listeners, those who are paying attention have a more positive view of the USA; those who pay attention to Al Sharpton probably have a headache.

mkstach on July 3, 2006 at 5:11 PM

When I was in college, I took a couple of years of German. Second year was a lit course taught by an American professor, who once referred to a “kluge Deutscher,” which she translated, with a grin, as a “clever Kraut.” I guess the term is OK.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on July 3, 2006 at 5:37 PM

mkstach,

you are so right; in addition, here one can get all the paperwork for a new business done within minutes, then have the announcement made public via a paper. Done! In business!

In Europe, to outdo our bureaucracy, it takes weeks, if not months to get to the same point. One can’t even own a mini-truck in many countries, unless one documents with the government that its purpose is to transport potatoes, horsemanure or whatever. The point being, that they have to know everything. In the EU, there are hundreds of pages on just the business of how to sell candy. Could go on and on but I really love it here :) – why bother about elsewhere!

These critical ignoramuses from here obviously don’t know the difference and the ones from over there, who know, are just jealous. Or, maybe it is easier to critique from afar, while doing very little to better the world.

Entelechy on July 3, 2006 at 9:03 PM

Over at Quasiblog: “Herewith our annual compendium of patriotic thinking – although lately it’s looking more like our annual post, period.”

JM Hanes on July 4, 2006 at 2:39 AM

Dear, dear Honora..how misguided. Makes me think back to before I became a REFORMED democrat (meaning I dont vote for them anymore and still trying to live down those Jimmy Carter votes..MEA CULPA I was young and stupid!!)
This is the GREATEST, most wonderful, FREE country in the entire world! Go live in Europe for a while, Honora and see JUST how “free” a woman really is (even in those liberal countries like France)!
GOD BLESS AMERICA! Land of the Free and Home of the Brave!

labwrs on July 4, 2006 at 12:45 PM