Perspective check: Ludicrous bias in British TV’s Gaza coverage

posted at 8:23 pm on July 2, 2006 by Allahpundit

As bad as the American press is, odds are you’ll never see something here as shamelessly slanted as this Channel 4 report on Israel’s incursion into Gaza. It’s nine minutes long but stick with it; it gets worse as it goes, culminating in an interview with the Israeli ambassador to the UK that has to be seen to be believed. I’d call it pure propaganda except that it’s actually more disgusting than that: I doubt even Hamas would go as far as Jon Snow does in callously dismissing Qassam rockets, which have killed 13 people (including two infants) since 2001, as harmless little nothings.

In all, one of the more disgraceful episodes to come out of the Arabist British media in recent years — which is really saying something. Naturally, MPAC is ecstatic.

Thanks to nordish for the tip.

Update: Did someone say propaganda?

Comments

Wow!! How far have the british desceneded into dhimmitude.

Theworldisnotenough on July 2, 2006 at 9:11 PM

*descended

Theworldisnotenough on July 2, 2006 at 9:12 PM

“Descended”? They’ve been there for a while. This is a country that has outlawed self-defense and refuses to arrest criminals.

The once-great British Empire has become a joke, a bad one. It sure as hell is no longer a civilised country.

Rusty Bill on July 2, 2006 at 9:53 PM

What blind arrogance! Chastising the Israeli ambassador as if Snow is the sole proprietor of moral high ground. Pompous fool.

speed647 on July 2, 2006 at 10:48 PM

Hey, you’d be pompous too if you had a technicolor tie like that!

insomni on July 3, 2006 at 1:23 AM

Both Snow and Hamas are trumped by the pedestrian American press which has dismissed 500 Sarin and mustard gas munitions as of no importance because they are a decade or so old.

Bishop of Whitby’s son believes abstinence education is more dangerous than Qassam rockets, mustard gas and nerve agent combined.

Essex on July 3, 2006 at 5:14 AM

From the Bob Simon interview with Elian Gonzalez:

With all this, it’s easy to forget that the boy who was the centerpiece in a historic tug of war is at heart an 11-year-old kid. So, of course, we had to ask him if he has a girlfriend. He says he does, but he won’t tell us her name. It’s a secret.

But what about the public’s right to know!?!?!?

EFG on July 3, 2006 at 5:48 AM

I am not surprised at all. Brits on the whole are virulently anti-Jewish.

gary on July 3, 2006 at 6:00 AM

I am not surprised at all. Brits on the whole are virulently anti-Jewish.

Is that really true? But why?

I don’t understand this particular divergence of US/UK culture. I’ve never gotten the US-Left position on this either though; I might should start there.

Axe on July 3, 2006 at 6:09 AM

Probably Greg Craig, I am told victims often develop crushes on their abusers.

B Moe on July 3, 2006 at 7:33 AM

Sorry, I am still trying to get past “wire guided Hellfire missle” I know it is a small detail, but God is in the details. If they screw up something that small, imagine what they are doing with the whole story.

jcon96 on July 3, 2006 at 8:00 AM

I am not surprised at all. Brits on the whole are virulently anti-Jewish.

Is that really true? But why?

Anti-Semitism is a natural consequence of what Thomas Sowell calls “The Vision of the Annointed.”

Sowell observes this impulse in aristocracy of intellegencia (Leftists)– but alos traditional bloodline aristocracy (tribalists) in “Migrations and Culture.”

I think the European aristocratic impulse is fundamentally tribalist/supremacist– and success of “the other” is an intolerable affront to it’s self-congratulatory vision of inherent/endowed goodness.

Brits resent Jews (much south Asians resent Chinese) because their industriousness brings prosperity– success that Brits (like any tribalist on a reservation) considers a natural birth right. Similarly, Europeans resent their American “cousins.”

Terp Mole on July 3, 2006 at 9:50 AM

The British are not bad or anti-Semitic as a nation. Just like America, we have our fair share of loony leftists and liberals.

Nordish on July 3, 2006 at 3:43 PM

By and Large the british have been respectful towards Jews but this is just INSANE. The Jews are just oppressing the poor little Arabs for no reason with no real questioning of why they’re doing this. They’d never question Hamas or the PLO or even the Iraqi insurrgency this harshly.
With biased reporting like this, is ANYONE surprised that the UK and Europe hate our and the Israelis’ guts?

Defector01 on July 3, 2006 at 5:32 PM

Defector01, no doubt this interview is on the extreme side. I have never before seen such an anti-Israeli grilling on British TV before. Let’s hope it’s not the start of a new trend. Fortunately, people like Melanie Phillips are starting to make inroads in the discussion and people are listening to her (whilst many are hating her too).

Nordish on July 3, 2006 at 6:10 PM

Nordish
My family in England says the BBC does this on a regular basis as well. While most of them are liberal, they are also Jewish and staunch Zionists, and they see biased one sided pieces like this throughout British broadcasting. Ditto with my Dutch family. In Europe the left has a power over the media the likes of which we would have nightmares about. It would be like having Kos, the DU and the Socialist party of America running CBS, NBC and ABC. Phillips and others are getting started but its in its infant era and there’s alot of work to be done. Think of it like Rush back in the mid-late 80s; there’s alot of brainwashing to be undone.

Defector01 on July 3, 2006 at 6:29 PM

Thanks for the “Migrations and Culture” link, Mole. I didn’t know of this book’s existence. I looked into it, and it’s now officially “up next.”

Axe on July 4, 2006 at 12:15 AM

And that’s the essence of the left’s arrogance: a complete dismissal of the real danger posed by their anointed ‘victims’.

RD on July 4, 2006 at 3:45 PM

And what language do they speak in England?

Why, Pakistani of course!

Kini on July 5, 2006 at 4:12 AM

First off, Britons are not anti-Jewish (I say this as a Brit.) In fact, you’ll find that we see Jews as ‘one of us.’ Some of the most respected people in the country are Jewish, and as far as I can tell, its never been an issue. If you want to see anti-semitism, go to France.

Second, Channel 4 news is pretty much a law unto themselves. They have a liberal agenda which they do not try to disguise, and are quite happy to take a liberal-elite position on most topics. They are further left than the BBC, and frankly do not try too hard to disguise their bias.

I have written to them to complain about their handling of this topic. I am not a Jew or a Muslim, so I don’t have an axe to grind. I think they have gone too far this time.

DPolwarth on July 5, 2006 at 5:12 AM

DPolwarth, respectfully, I don’t know how one splits the difference between being anti-Israel (or Zionist) and being anti-Jew. Can one being pro-Jews in an eternal diaspora without a base, continually at the whim of the majority host nation, as much of Western history has been about? Only when the Jew is stripped of all power and is at the utter mercy of others, one can feel sympathy? European sentiments in this issue confuse me, and the British version confuses me greatly.

laelaps on January 25, 2007 at 11:18 PM