Housemania! Ban lifted on offshore drilling

posted at 8:42 pm on June 29, 2006 by Allahpundit

232-187, with Happy Jack Murtha voting in the affirmative.

Will it get past the Senate? The House approved drilling in ANWR last month, but that looks DOA due to filibuster. There’s talk of filibustering this one too — and it’s not just the Democrats:

Opponents of the federal ban argued that the nation needed to move closer to energy independence and insisted the gas and oil could be taken without threatening the environment and coastal beaches. They said a state choosing to keep the moratorium could do so…

But the bill’s prospects in the Senate were uncertain. Florida’s two senators have vowed to filibuster any legislation that would allow drilling within 125 miles of Florida’s coast. Other senators from several coastal states also have strongly opposed ending the drilling restrictions.

That’s right. It’s our old friend from the immigration debate, “Republican” Mel Martinez.

martinez.jpg

Five more years of this tool. Then, Jeb!

Comments

Jeb is not in favor of offshore Florida drilling either. At least in the past he hasn’t been. Jeb isn’t any different from W in most respects. If he wanted to be a Senator, 2006 was his chance. Florida is “Bushed” out. Even Republicans have the NIMBY disease. ‘Tis a shame.

Laddy on June 29, 2006 at 8:47 PM

What’s Florida’s issue here? Don’t want the royalty cash? Exxon-Valdez skiddish? AARP against it? Drilling rigs ruin the picturesque view? I don’t live there so I don’t know the whole story, obviously.

Hoodlumman on June 29, 2006 at 10:06 PM

Exxon-Valdez skiddish?
Drilling rigs ruin the picturesque view?

Basically those two, near as I can tell. What is fucked about it is Venezuela and Cuba are fixing to drill there anyway, maybe with China as a partner, and we can’t stop them, only the domestic drillers. I am not going to cry a bit if they foul up the beaches royally.

B Moe on June 29, 2006 at 10:53 PM

Cuba will be drilling a lot closer than 125 miles also. More like 70. Let’s see Greenpeace and other leftist commie lovers tell Fidel no. Not a peep will we hear. Fidel is a god to the left. I can’t wait, and I live in West Palm Beach. Over the bridge from El Rushbo.

roninacreage on June 30, 2006 at 12:04 AM

125 miles off the coast?? as if the sunbathers could see the derricks?? Do the Floridians not know the world is round? Follow the money, I guess. How much from the Sierra Club, etc.?

gary on June 30, 2006 at 12:27 AM

Floridians are concerned about tourism. No, the rigs wouldn’t create a mess. But the media will–with endless stories about how Florida’s beaches are being ruined.

Tourism is Florida’s life. Property values tripled along the coast in the last decade. Those values are stalled out or crashing. People are nervous and looking out for their wallet. Irrational in my opinion but there it is.

Essex on June 30, 2006 at 1:19 AM

Bet it won’t get past the Senate.

Warner Todd Huston on June 30, 2006 at 1:45 AM

Several years ago, Yukos opened the first Russian gas station in America. Senator Schumer, the point man on blocking drilling in Alaska, was at the opening and called it a “win-win” for the American consumer. Schumer has no problem with Russian oil companies which have who knows what pollution controls on them. Nor does he care about pollution from oil rigs in the Arab world, in Nigeria, off Angola or in Indonesia. He just thinks that itty bitty piece of artic wasteland that happened to be owned by America needs protecting. Protecting from oil companies which face the most restrictive controls in the world.

Essex on June 30, 2006 at 4:44 AM

This will never pass the Senate. Drilling for oil in the USA is a good thing and we all know what a good thing for the USA means to democrats.

Democrat view:
Good for USA = bad for Dem’s
Bad for USA = good for Dem’s

Wade on June 30, 2006 at 8:10 AM

Jeb Bush has consistently opposed offshore drilling during his term as governor. Also, I wouldn’t count on him to go all out for immigration. Although Nelson and Martinez certifiably suck, I don’t see Jeb being a considerable upgrade; at least on those two issues.

Kid from Brooklyn on June 30, 2006 at 8:32 AM

The house is looking out for our best interests. The senate is NOT. I’ll put some texas spin on this again, as I’ve done on previous threads. It bears mentioning again. First of all, technology has advanced to the point where the probability of an oilspill because of offshore drilling is low. Second, most rigs are out of view from the beach. Third, even if they ARE within view, the benefits of a rig as an artifical reef is huge – so much sealife lives around the rigs. (example: the hubby and friends went 5 miles off last week and caught 15 red snapper). Fourth, what state wouldn’t want the economic benefits that go along with drilling in state waters?? Each time I see a rig I do a little cheer because it means money, jobs and economic growth – not only to Texas, but to the nation as a whole. Please someone explain to me why liberals think this is a BAD thing??? I don’t understand Floridians’ mentality. If there is a Floridian on this thread, I sure would like to hear from you.

pullingmyhairout on June 30, 2006 at 8:49 AM

Florida resident, right here. Nobody I know has that much concern about the environment. This is more, I think, a function of the envirolobby shaping the argument than anything else, and NIMBY syndrome.

Kid from Brooklyn on June 30, 2006 at 9:03 AM

well, i’m sure floridians are concerned about the environment. we are here in texas, even us evil republicans. there’s so much misinformation out there about drilling that needs to be disspelled, espcially when it comes to the environmental impact of offshore drilling. As for the NIMBY arguement, what are they against? seeing a small dot on the horizon? sorry, but to me the panhandle of florida lost its charm about 5 years ago – too many people on the beach, too much algae in the water, too many jellyfish, and the bullsharks made swimming a bit of an issue… seeing a drilling rig would have been no big deal. :)

pullingmyhairout on June 30, 2006 at 9:20 AM

I know, PMHO, you’d think Floridians would have exercised all that environmental and aestethic concern, for say, the tourist strips along Route 192. And let me restate one thing: I’m sure there is some concern for the environment. But judging from the hysteria you hear from our elected representatives, you’d think we were talking about building a Superfund Site on the Everglades, or South Beach, or whatever.

The thing is, Chavez and Fidel (backed by PLA front companies) don’t have those concerns.

Kid from Brooklyn on June 30, 2006 at 9:53 AM

I’m all for protecting resources and responsible use, etc. etc., but as a Floridian, I’m in favor of the drilling. Cuba (with China’s help) is setting up shop down in the straights about 45 miles from Florida. You be sure they won’t care about spills and the effect on the environment. Their goal will be to suck it dry (and they will). Why let them have resources that the US can put to use. Beat them to it already.

As for Martinez, I voted for him in the general election over Castor, but whoever runs against him in the next Republican primary will get my vote. He has been an abject failure as a Senator.

raz0r on June 30, 2006 at 10:24 AM

In a Republican primary between Martinez and a dead dog, I’m going to listen very closely to what the dead dog has to say about immigration.

Kid from Brooklyn on June 30, 2006 at 10:44 AM

That we’re even having this debate is terrifying.

Where the hell do these people think the oil is going to come from? Our good friends in the middle east? Our good friend Putin? Our good friend Hugo? Our good friend Vincente? Our good friend the 12 Imman? Our good friends in Bejing and Havana who will drill for the oil we won’t?
This country can be stopped dead in its tracks just by yanking out the petroleum tube anytime some whackjob wants to.
Let me put it into babytalk so even Jeb and Martinez can understand: No oil, no drivey-drivey, no drivey-drivey, no tourists. No America either, but that’s not your problem, is it?
Losers.

dhimwit on June 30, 2006 at 10:45 AM

The world is round, and one can see for a total of EIGHT miles from the shore out to sea. Yup, stand on the shoreline, look out , seems like forever….it’s eight miles… tops that you can see with the eye. Not 70 or 125 miles, eight (8).

shooter on June 30, 2006 at 11:27 AM

I have a local perspective from Palm Beach County, Florida:

The Dhimmicr@ps run Southern Florida’s 3 most populus counties.

Most liberals from the republik of kalifornakate visit or have 2nd homes on South Beach and leave their opinions/values with the MEGARICH on the ISLAND of Palm Beach.

In addition to visiting aliens from all over the globe during THE SEASON, grandpa and grandma retired here, making sure that a network of NY liberals are plugged into the political scene on the Ocean side of South Florida.

The Gulf side is populated by folks from Flyover Country.

WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE LOCAL REDNECK IN BOOTS, SHORTS, AND COWBOY HAT AT THE BEACH THINKS ABOUT THIS INVASION?
Sorry, got carried away there…time to stop.

tormod on June 30, 2006 at 11:46 AM

As a coastal kalifornian, I can say around here oil bubbles up from the bottom of the sea and gets all over the beaches anyway. At first I thought it was a spill, but no, it’s natural. They think a local beach is named for the local indian’s word for oil.

Wade summed it up. A mix of stupidity, self-loathing, and the old “if it’s good for the USA it’s bad for the Democrats” thing is what is stifling our economic growth.

Why we are letting people like Algore control our economy under the guise of science when it’s politically motivated is beyond me.

NTWR on June 30, 2006 at 12:34 PM

Where’s most of the proven oil reserves nearby? Mexico, that’s where. If and when we get the cajones to put the screws to Mexico to allow drilling, we will be on the road to achieving two goals: Their greatly increased standard of living will mean the invasion will cease or at least subside. And we will be assured a cheap and plentiful supply of crude.

And how do we pressure Mexico? Money order exports are their second largest source of income. We can create a special tax fund from that and use it to begin a massive p.r. campaign together with international lobbying.

I wouldn’t mind seeing that damn green and white flag so much in this country, if it was flying on the antenae of a gasoline tanker truck up from Chihuahua.

atbay on June 30, 2006 at 2:07 PM

atbay

There is more oil reserves in Alaska than any where in the World.

The problem is that they have been capped and CONGRESS has prohibited us from bringing it down to the lower 48. It is not just ANWAR but the oil reserves that were discovered on the North Slope in 1976 by Arco Oil.

The Gull Island find has more proven reserves than in all of Saudi Arabia. Congress turned Gull Island into a Sea Gull sanctuary to keep it off limits.

Go Figure.

ScottyDog on June 30, 2006 at 2:19 PM

I am also a Floridian and I am a stronger supporter of off shore drilling. The danger of an oil leak is not any higher with the drill rigs then it is with the ships transporting the oil through the Gulf and certainly less then the other Counties that are to begin drilling near here (Cuba, Mexico).

Yes, here in SW Florida, our beaches are supreme and none of us, I believe, would want that to change. We would want the type of controls in place as are everywhere else in this Country. Of course the whacko’s here make it sound like NOBODY wants oil to be drilled here…squeaky wheel syndrome backed up by a VERY LIBERAL, ONE SIDED MSM and to challenge them does not start an interesting debate, they go right for the jugular with name calling and unsubstantiated statistics.

As to our junior Senator…my wishes would be one term and out. Unfortunately the Republicans seem unable to find a strong person to run against Nelson, so it is unlikely Martinez will be challenged in the primary.

Bob on July 3, 2006 at 3:07 PM