People power: Berkeley to vote on Bush impeachment

posted at 4:17 pm on June 28, 2006 by Allahpundit

Gee, I wonder if it’ll pass:

[T]he Berkeley city council’s goal is to be the first to put the issue directly to voters, Mayor Tom Bates said in an interview.

“This is basically giving the people a chance to talk, to join the debate,” Bates said. “The issues go way beyond impeaching the president. They go to safeguarding the Constitution. This administration has run roughshod over the Constitution.”

Cheered on by globe-trotting Iraq war protester Cindy Sheehan, who has moved to Berkeley, the council voted unanimously Tuesday night to have the city attorney review the measure to place it on the November ballot.

The “debate” promises to be vibrant, with heated disagreement expected on the issue of whether Bush should be frog-marched from the White House or allowed to leave under his own power.

Reached for comment, GOP political advisor Karl Rove said, “Thanks!”

Update: Astrologer to the stars Vis Numar sees a “near exact” between Saturn, one of the moons of Jupiter, and the Horsehead Nebula. “Looks like a landslide!” says Vis, who’s predicting big things this fall as well for former Governor Mark Warner!

Update: The text of the referendum is on page 5 here. The Berkeley City Manager opposes the move because it’s a waste of city resources.

Update: I give up. They’re parody-proof.

Comments

“Anyway. I’m just glad the left doesn’t pander to its base with empty gestures the way Republicans do with flag-burning.”

The Left pander??? SURELY you jest!

…and all under the guise of encouraging debate. The phrase “pure as the driven snow” comes to mind.

Cary on June 28, 2006 at 4:26 PM

How gay…pun intended.

BirdEye on June 28, 2006 at 4:45 PM

…oops…how un-PC of me…

BirdEye on June 28, 2006 at 4:45 PM

I have an idea – let all the left loonies move to berkeley. when that big earthquake happens, maybe we’ll get lucky and they’ll fall off into the pacific ocean.

pullingmyhairout on June 28, 2006 at 4:49 PM

The “debate” will be between those Berkeley wackos who merely want to impeach Bush and those who want to send him to the Hague to be tried as a War Criminal after he is impeached.

pjcomix on June 28, 2006 at 4:51 PM

Great quotes by Ronald Reagan
(ok, actually paraphrased since I am going off the top of my head):

I had a nightmare I went broke – I dreamed I owned a laundromat in Berkeley.

and (observing some anti-war protestors with a “make love, not war” sign):

I don’t think they know how to do either.

thirteen28 on June 28, 2006 at 4:57 PM

Now all we need to counter this pointless crap is an ultra-red Utah town to vote on a referendum confirming Howard Dean as a certifiable douchebag.

Hoodlumman on June 28, 2006 at 5:01 PM

Maybe the insanity plea can be used here as well. For all those who wish to ‘impeach’ our president, from a small town in CA. (illegal drugs still abundant in CA I guess)
They probably dont know that to “impeach” means to ‘charge’, or to make an ‘accusation’, or ‘to challenge’. Fools.
But I’m sure it’ll be fair…i.e. from link above-presidential election votes; Bush 4010, compared with 54,409 for John Kerry and recently Cindy Sheehan moved to Berkeley. HHMMMMM, sounds like a Nifong photo lineup situation to me.
What is the possible use of this witch hunt other than a bunch of mad hateful people able to vent loudly and in unison? The verdict is that they are most definitely crazy, insane. Hope it keeps em busy for a while.
Where’s Murtha?

shooter on June 28, 2006 at 5:08 PM

I think the United States needs to withdraw from San Francisco and Berkeley and see what happens

Defector01 on June 28, 2006 at 5:11 PM

The “reality-based” community.

Chas on June 28, 2006 at 5:14 PM

What kept ya Berzerkly?

Let me get my clown makup so I can join in!!!

Kum-by-ya!

Kini on June 28, 2006 at 5:21 PM

Even the liberal politicians refuse to run on such nonsense.

At least they are stuck with Sheehan. :o)

DannoJyd on June 28, 2006 at 5:33 PM

Cindy Sheehan’s moving to Berkeley? There’s a shocker.

Why is it exactly the liberals seem absolutely unable to live outside their own bubble communities? Why are they so afraid of an ACTUAL reality based community, where they might have to deal with a little ACTUAL diversity?

What sheep-like chickens! Or is chicken-like sheep? I can’t decide.

The irony is that by moving to a place where everyone agrees with you, you utterly negate your own effectiveness as an advocate.

If Sheehan had balls, she’d come to Nashville and hang out with me. She and I could wander down and talk to our Kurdish community (one of the largest Iraqi communities in the country) and have a chat with THEM about the reality of Iraq. She might learn something.

How did a moral coward like her spawn such a brave young man, anyway? And just how much would you give for an e-mail line to Heaven to find out what Casey thinks of what his mother is doing?

Professor Blather on June 28, 2006 at 5:35 PM

What took them so long? Brookline, Mass., voted to impeach a month ago.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on June 28, 2006 at 5:35 PM

Ah, the city that surrounds my alma mater never ceases to amuse.

Waste of city resources, indeed.

Bob's Kid on June 28, 2006 at 5:47 PM

Great, guess I get to hear the “AP newsreader” relate this story tomorrow morning on the local news radio station. They forgot to add to the article:

“Weed and munchies to be served in Jimmy’s Mom’s basement immediately following the election. Special guest appearances will include Cind… whaaaa’, did somebody say election? Am I even registered to vote, maaaan? My world geography teacher once said something about how unfair it is that we don’t let Undocumented Workers vote and its all because of Watergate and Vietnam. Bush sucks. Oh hey pass the Fritos over here, maaan!”

Dave Shay on June 28, 2006 at 7:14 PM

So’s running water.

Jim Treacher on June 28, 2006 at 7:58 PM

Prof, Casey took after his father

Wyrd on June 28, 2006 at 8:02 PM

pullingmyhairout on June 28, 2006 at 4:49 PM

I’m rootin’ for that and I live in CA!

speed647 on June 28, 2006 at 8:45 PM

I’m rootin’ for that and I live in CA!

Not ’til my son graduates, please. :)

Bob's Kid on June 28, 2006 at 9:08 PM

Bob’s kid
How about we just pull out of the bay area

Defector01 on June 28, 2006 at 9:47 PM

Check out the flora and fauna of the natural habitat of Moonbats.

calnevari on June 29, 2006 at 12:19 AM

I tried the link but I don’t think it worked. Just go to http://www.zombietime.com it will open your eyes!

calnevari on June 29, 2006 at 12:21 AM

good lord, our poor president might be impeached by TWO different cities? EEK!

Gahd, I need to move to a red state and get out of CA. I live in Sacramento, and that is too close… I might catch something it, that horrible disease. I don’t want it… I’m scared… I want to keep the values of moral men and those of my forefathers.

rahjr2k on June 29, 2006 at 2:57 AM

Impeachment is ridiculous of course….
However George ‘Wimpy’ Bush is only guilty of
1. Failing to secure U.S. Borders from invasion from a foreign country!
2. Selling American assests and infrastructure to foreigners!
3. Abrogating the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution by signing anti free speech laws.
4. Cherry picking the laws congress passes by executive signings, thus violating his oath to the constitution.
5. Committing fraud against the American people through cronyism…i.e. Julie Myers and more.
6. Entering into treaties without American Congrssional oversight.
7. Siding with the Enemy: Vicente Fox
8. Allowing young men and women to be maimed and killed so we can turn on the lights and water in Iraq.

LZVandy on June 29, 2006 at 6:57 AM

Bezerkely, lol. Idiots.

NRA4Freedom on June 29, 2006 at 9:14 AM

Cindy’s next “clothing apparel” could be a “canvas jacket with loooooong sleeves” to match her N. Kalifornia Klimate.

P.S. Don’t take it out on the rest of the family, they’re embarrassed enough already.

tormod on June 29, 2006 at 9:27 AM

Parody proof?

This begs for a counterexample. ;^)

I can’t resist…….

PR Releases we’d like to see…[updated from an earlier one out on Usenet]

Washington, DC, July 1, 2006 (TraitorNet)

The Department of the Navy released the following communiqué from Assistant Undersecretary of the Navy for Training and Morale, Lucian V. Patriot:

“The Department of the Navy, speaking for the Department of Defense, accepts with pleasure the application of the City of Berkeley, California, to be the new site of its live-fire training and exercise facility. Since the closing of the Visquenes facility in Puerto Rico, the Navy has been searching for a replacement site for live-fire exercises of Navy and Marine assets, prior to deployment on active duty.

We are pleased to announce that Berkeley, by its June 2006 council vote to place a referendum before the voters to impeach the President, and their previous resolutions of 5 February 2002 and later to refuse to comply with the Patriot Act, as well as their previous declarations of opposititon to war against Iraq and Afghanistan, has indicated its willingness to replace Puerto Rico as the locale for realistic live-fire training in an actual urban warfare environment.

While plans are still in a formative stage, it is expected that the new facility, to be renamed as “The Berkeley Nest of Traitors Live-Fire Training and Exercise Facility,” will host intensive urban warfare training, using live ammunition, for segments of America’s military including most units of the United States Marines, Air Force, Army, and of course the US Navy. Projected activities will include finely tuned Tomahawk Missile and army/naval bombardment artillery strikes on buildings such as the University of California Berkeley Student Union and those university administration buildings used by the Faculty Senate of UC-B, and the Berkeley city hall.

Other activities, including live bayonet exercises and massed riflery fire, will be conducted on the campus quad for both Marine and Army infantry units, and the use of the Berkeley City administrative center for air-to-ground practice for both Navy, Marine Air, and Air Force squadrons.
Other city and university facilities for exercises will feature use of Marine and Army armored vehicles and rotary winged aircraft.

Separate exercises will be conducted in defense against bio-chemical warfare using live agents in this urban environment. Techniques on urban war fighting in that environment, as well as practice in the offensive use of
these weapons, will be taught within the Facility, which in effect, includes the entire city.

The city and university campus, long reservoirs of hatred against the United States military, and ardent supporters of countries and political philosophies hostile to the United States, will also serve a useful morale purpose, giving personal validation to military personnel as they train for insertion to areas of similar anti-US hostility such as Iraq.

Dates to begin operation and the schedule of individual training exercises will be announced shortly.”

### 30

[He closes, wearing a big sh*t-eating grin...]

georgej on June 29, 2006 at 6:52 PM