“More punk than punk”: UK rapper celebrates “G-had”

posted at 11:01 am on June 28, 2006 by Allahpundit

They don’t call it Londonistan for nothing. From the Guardian:

He recognises some people will say his album should not be released, that it might incite people. “I’ve already told all the lyricists don’t worry if we get into trouble, I’ll take all the blame. If they’re going to lock anyone up they’ll lock me up. I’m not scared, I’ve got a lot of anger and frustration at where we have arrived at. I’ll take the heat…”

Nawaz, who grew up in Bradford, believes he is being honest. This “honesty” manifests itself in tracks such as the rap song I Reject, an angry polemical blast with lines such as “Reject your blood I reject your creed/Reject your queen and her stolen crown/Reject your media falsified news/Reject your patronising liberal views.” It also takes a swipe at moderate Muslim voices who accept invitations to Downing Street…

Nawaz describes the songs Che Bin Parts 1 and 2 as a discussion on resistance and terrorism. He uses the words of Bin Laden and Che Guevara to suggest that they have more in common than differences. Nawaz said he challenged anyone to disagree with the statement by Bin Laden that he uses.

Another line from “I Reject” is “Reject your concept of integration.” There’s some stuff about sucide bombings, too, which of course he opposes even though he “understands.”

What’s interesting about this guy is how nakedly he uses Islam as cover for countercultural impulses. The references to Che (and elsewhere, more than once, to the Sex Pistols) plus the tough talk about inviting MI5 to come get him give him away as a typical faux-revolutionary poseur — albeit, per the Londonistan article, in an atypical political environment. Has there ever been a statement that takes religion less seriously than this? “Islam for me was more punk than punk! I can’t understand why people say it is restrictive.” The only competition is Emma Clark, the great-granddaughter of British PM Herbert Asquith and herself a convert to Islam, telling the Times of London a few years ago, “We’re all the rage. I hope it’s not a passing fashion.”

This tool goes a long way towards explaining some, but certainly not all, of the roots of jihad. Consider him a point in favor of the Esmay/Ardolino “it’s not really about Islam” theory of Muslim fundamentalism.

Update: I’d forgotten about “Dirty Kuffar.” Reader EFG reminds me.

Comments

A little bit like those Haiti guys busted last week who clearly had absorbed some jihadi talk but also talked about the Bible and called themselves “Sea of David” or something and were just in general confused, messed up dumba$$es. The Islam thing does seem to be a trendy hook for some already anti-social morons, though that’s not to say they can’t be dangerous.

Thing is, these are a just a couple points in favor of the “it’s not really about Islam” theory, whereas by far the most instances the terrorist or terrorist-supporter seems to take the religion pretty seriously.

Alex K on June 28, 2006 at 11:09 AM

Just another wackjob seeking publicity because he can’t sing worth a damn and this way he can make a few bucks by being outrageous before he ends up in the dust pan of Rap!

Then again maybe someone will take offense and issue a “Fatwad” on his fata$$! Nawwww that would just make more money for him.

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on June 28, 2006 at 11:15 AM

Gee, I wonder if western liberals will be as outraged about this song as they were about Hadji girl … hmmm.

Seriously, British Soccer Hooligans, when you get back home from the World Cup, please make yourself ‘useful’.

thirteen28 on June 28, 2006 at 11:30 AM

Dhimmitude as Flavor of the Month? It hasn’t dawned on these Western liberal flakes that you don’t get to walk away from Islam as cavalierly as you would, say, the AIDS movement, or the compulsory Che fetish.

Kid from Brooklyn on June 28, 2006 at 11:36 AM

Allah, have you heard of the British rap video called “Dirty Kuffar”? I haven’t gotten a chance to listen to Nawaz, so I can’t comment on him, but Dirty Kuffar is dangerous enemy propaganda and an enemy recruiting tool. Unfortunately, it does seem to have a catchy beat and good visuals. Which of course is what makes it so dangerous. Inept propaganda is nothing to fear. Expertly produced propaganda is much more worrying.

Here is a YouTube link to the video “Dirty Kuffar.”

If this link goes bad, you can go to a YouTube page that has several copies of this video HERE.

A Wikipedia article about Dirty Kuffar is right HERE.

EFG on June 28, 2006 at 11:39 AM

It’s all fun and games until somebody gets their head chopped off.

Kid from Brooklyn on June 28, 2006 at 11:48 AM

To be honest, when I first saw and listened to “Dirty Kuffar”, it scared the living sh*t out of me. Dirty Kuffar came out arround the Spring of 2004. As we all know, in July of 2005 we had the British subway bombings. Many people wondered how this could have happened to British born and raised young Muslim men. I think Dirty Kuffar provides a partial explanation of some of the underground culture that can help provide an impetus, or catalyst to spark attacks like the above mentioned.

Music is a very powerful thing. Seeing it harnessed to the cause of Jihad is not a pleasant thing to contemplate.

EFG on June 28, 2006 at 11:50 AM

Run-PBUH

Jim Treacher on June 28, 2006 at 12:28 PM

What?? More Punk than Punk??

Any rock fan knows that Punk is pretty much dead (Fugazi aside). These hardcore Islamic Militants have a fascinating PR and Marketing branch…

StoutRepublican on June 28, 2006 at 1:49 PM

… the FUNNY thing is that this guy linked the word “lyricists” with Rap “music”!!!

That was funny all by itself!

Warner Todd Huston on June 28, 2006 at 2:09 PM