Video: Michelle on Churchill, Luckovich, and the Times

posted at 8:53 am on June 27, 2006 by Allahpundit

“Give Michelle the whip.”

Comments

Watched this last night on the Factor. Once again, Michelle is brilliant as always and Kirsten is just a moron. She didn’t really have any dissenting opinion and when she did, she just rambled all over the place. If it wasn’t for her good looks. I don’t believe she would even be getting all the air time that she currently enjoys!

Scorched_Earth on June 27, 2006 at 9:24 AM

The leftwing talking head up against Michelle was reduced to agreeing with virtually everything Michelle had to say.

The left is losing badly. Oh, and that one needs to get some sun. She’s very pale.

JammieWearingFool on June 27, 2006 at 9:25 AM

It’s great that Michelle is getting airtime on The Factor. If she was a regular on the show, I might actually start watching it again. Bill is getting softer every day, and having someone that is direct, informed and to the point on reporting the daily insanity is refreshing. Well done as always, Michelle.

Hening on June 27, 2006 at 9:25 AM

I wonder what the Democrat’s problems with the NYT are (that Kirsten mentioned). Are they not liberal and seditious enough?

Bellicose Muse on June 27, 2006 at 9:25 AM

The Democrat problem with the Times is probably that they don’t print their press releases verbatim and they employ David Brooks, leaving the Op-Ed pages clearly out of whack,
with leftwingers outnumbering the right 10 to 1 rather than 11 to 0.

JammieWearingFool on June 27, 2006 at 9:28 AM

Powers isn’t a moron. She’s in a tough spot because O’Reilly keeps asking her about only the most egregious left-wing excesses. What’s she supposed to do, sit there and endorse the Luckovich cartoon? It’d be like if Michelle went on a left-wing show and all they asked her is whether she agrees with the Freepers who want to shoot Risen and Lichtblau.

Allahpundit on June 27, 2006 at 9:28 AM

Allah, you have a point. But lately, the behavior of the left is difficult to defend in most instances. I’m sure over at MSNBC they didn’t have any problem with that Luckovich cartoon, if they even mentioned it.

As for anyone suggesting the Times reporters be shot, I’m not going to defend that nonsense. Ridicule grand jury testimony, and a few lashes from Michelle’s whip, maybe.

JammieWearingFool on June 27, 2006 at 9:41 AM

Powers shows that liberal minds don’t want ANYONE prosecuted for provable lawlessness they have committed, save for President Bush, and Christians everywhere, who have actually only committed the “wrongs” of insulting liberals intelligence, or lack thereof actually.

NRA4Freedom on June 27, 2006 at 9:56 AM

Powerlinenotes that after 9/11, the NY Times didn’t seem to have a problem with what they now divulge.

Hmmm. Check out the “letter” and reply they have over there.

JammieWearingFool on June 27, 2006 at 9:57 AM

OReilly is raising the RINO and Democrat banner declaring there is no illegality in what NY Times has done.

Getting the message yet, fellow conservatives? I tell you they are going to do an all out media blitz( OReilly is suddenly the front runner..amazing) followed by NY Times to do an apology then it is all over..back to normal business, until they do it again.

It will be a long battle ahead. But we have to do it at the house.

Let them set up a hearing…..

easy87us on June 27, 2006 at 9:58 AM

I think Kirstan is smart because she says what she believes and not the left-wing talking points. There does not always need to be another side. Michelle was excellent as always. Michelle has learned the art of straight answers and on subject. An art which is needed when only a short time to get your opinion aired.

Wade on June 27, 2006 at 10:00 AM

According to Standard & Poors, 86% of the outstanding shares of NYT are owned by institutions and mutual funds. These funds issue quarterly reports in which they publish a “snapshot” of their holdings as of the end of the quarter. Any fund that doesn’t want to “own up” to owning NYT will have to sell its shares before the end of the quarter, which is this Friday.

RedWinged Blackbird on June 27, 2006 at 10:04 AM

I actually enjoyed this video from every aspect. The points were raised and discussed by all parties without excess emotion. It’s a good forum and I hope to see more of it.

docdave on June 27, 2006 at 10:29 AM

Kristan never says WHY she doesn’t think the NYT should be prosecuted. It is a shame that time is so short in these debates as I would have liked to hear her reasoning (not that I would have necessarily agreed with it) and, MM’s rebuttal.

Babs on June 27, 2006 at 10:29 AM

Wow, AP, you actually said something I can halfway agree with for once. Given recent history I’m rather surprised by that.

OK, I was being a bit sarcastic. Well maybe a lot. But still. You are at least part right here. Kirstin isn’t a total moron. She is pretty dumb on some issues, but she isn’t a “groupthink” toe-the-party-line type of liberal. She actually does use her brain — some of the time, at least, pity it’s not all of the time — and when she does she actually thinks about the positives and negatives of any position she takes. And that kind of liberal has the potential to eventually face reality and realize they are on the wrong side.

RH

RobertHuntingdon on June 27, 2006 at 10:39 AM

Slightly OT: Now why did Bill have to go and give us the visual of Michelle with a whip? When can we expect that Vent? I’ll mark my calendar and email my friends. Hot Air will probably get more hits than google that day … good way to increase advertising revenue don’t you think? :-)

-FOG

Fogpig on June 27, 2006 at 11:01 AM

Yeah, I was expecting someone to ask her: “What are these problems that Democrats have with the Times?”. I can only imagine the deer in the headlights response that would have followed.

Perchant on June 27, 2006 at 11:06 AM

Actually, we talked about this a bit after the show. Kirsten worked in local NYC politics and points out that the NYT elitists won’t give non-Ivy League,non-establishment local Dem candidates the time of day. She has a point. I saw the same thing when I worked at the Seattle Times, run not so much by committed liberals but by statist snobs.

Michelle on June 27, 2006 at 11:44 AM

Can someone please explain to me how one becomes and elitist / limosine liberal? How can one succeed in the greatest country the world has ever seen and simultaneously despise it? Is it a guilt complex? Or is it greed (they don’t want anyone else to attain their status)? I just don’t get it…

Fogpig on June 27, 2006 at 11:54 AM

Kirsten is smart. It’s depressingly rare to see a talking head who will just answer the question instead of shoehorning in her talking point, even if it means giving the enemy some of what they want. How many liberal pundits have been willing to concede that the NYT made the wrong decision?

You know who else is great like that? Flavia Colgan.

Alex K on June 27, 2006 at 12:09 PM

Flavia is beautiful too. I’d vote Democrat (once) if she’d marry me.

Kevin M on June 27, 2006 at 1:48 PM

I wish O’Reilly would learn to let his guests finish their sentences. It’s one thing to stop a diatribe, but he and too many other hosts cut their guests off before they can properly answer a question or make a statement.

Bellicose Muse on June 27, 2006 at 2:00 PM

Heh, look at the crawl on the screen capture above. Looks like Michelle has been awarded a purple heart and bronze star. The purple heart must be for enduring the hateful, idiotic and racist Asian stereotype comments and the bronze star for kicking a$$ in cyberspace.

What do Allah and Bryan get then?

Bellicose Muse on June 27, 2006 at 2:02 PM

Good video segment, Michelle was on target I think with everything. I was surprised to see how much the other lady agreed with both Bill and Michelle. But I have one problem…the video’s sound level was EXTREMELY low. I could barely hear it on my iBook speakers. I’ve noticed this on several videos, but I wasn’t sure if you were aware of it.

DakRoland on June 27, 2006 at 2:08 PM

I hate to bring this up, but the whole issue about the Atlanta Journal Constitution is based off of a worthless internet vote.

Bill O’Reilly said that the paper was so leftwing that even its own readers disagreed wtih it. In support of this, he said that of 18,000 voters, 90% disagreed with the cartoon.

However, you can’t take these sorts of surveys as indicating anything at all. This wasn’t a poll, this was something people had to decide to vote on. So the only people who will take the time to vote are those who feel strongly about it, which is not going to be representative of the actual population. Also, these polls are subject to manipulation. Case in point, LGF became aware of this poll, and his lizardoids immediately swarmed all over the poll en-mass and voted on it. For what it is worth, if you look at the LGF comments, it appears that prior to the LGF swarm, 28% of the respondents approved of the cartoon. After the LGF swarm, only 10% of the respondents approved. Which just goes to show, these sort of self selecting surveys or polls are entirely worthless. Even before the lizardoids skewed the results, the results were already worthless and untrust worthy because only those people who were fired up enough to take the time to vote are those who do. A much better way to survey is via random telephone surveys. Not perfect, mind you, but much much more statistically reliable.

So what happens? Bill and Kirsten and Michelle end up debating something that has no basis in any sort of statistical reality.

Oh, and in the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that I too went right from the LGF site and voted against the cartoon, so I guess I am partially to blame for this skewed and worthless poll as well.

But the cartoon is still an abomination.

EFG on June 27, 2006 at 2:27 PM

Totally right, EFG.

Allahpundit on June 27, 2006 at 2:28 PM

I’d rather have Arnold “Rope-A-Dope” Schwarzenegger than Phil “Pencil-Neck-Geek” Angelides as governor any day of the week.

CA conservatives who’ve decided to “sit this one out” will only be hurting themselves.

BTW…Angelides doesn’t even mention the issue of immigration on his website. How weird is that?

The Ugly American on June 27, 2006 at 2:59 PM

Scorched_Earth said… “Once again, Michelle is brilliant as always and Kirsten is just a moron.”

Yep.

… “it wasn’t for her [Kisten] good looks.”

Ditto. I was thinking exactlty the same thing.

Lawrence on June 27, 2006 at 3:45 PM

Good segment on “OReally” last evening. Though I don’t like that vapid and annoying Kirsten Powers, I was surprised how she didn’t sound like she was just recanting the leftwing/DNC talking points. I think she’s learned a thing or two from our lovely Michelle.

doingwhatican on June 27, 2006 at 5:31 PM

Lawrence, wrong on both counts. Allah and DocDave have it right; Powers is no fool and no moron (and she’s a dolly).

Not to suck up, but Allah and EFG also nailed the “internet poll” nonsense. I voted and I guarantee the link was either Michelle or LGF, or both. It was meaningless…

Jaibones on June 27, 2006 at 6:57 PM