Wafa Sultan: Islam’s Ann Coulter?

posted at 3:52 pm on June 26, 2006 by Allahpundit

So says a rabbi writing in the L.A. Times. Actually, he doesn’t say it, the headline says it. But let’s not split hairs.

Fair comparison? Each is famous for scathing criticism and so, inevitably, each is prone to rhetorical excess. The difference is, Coulter’s excesses usually involve gratuitous mean-spiritedness, which suggests malign intent; see, e.g., her cracks about the Jersey Girls enjoying their husbands’ deaths or Justice Stevens being poisoned. Sultan’s excesses tend towards overgeneralization, e.g., “All Muslim women — even American ones, though they won’t admit it — are living in a state of domination.” Not true — but true enough, and decidedly well intended. That distinction is why Sultan is an asset to her side while Coulter, ultimately, is a liability.

There’s also the small matter of who their respective targets are. Coulter says she wishes McVeigh had blown up the Times building, which, recent developments notwithstanding, is a lot further than most right-wingers would be willing to go to oppose liberalism. To oppose Islamism, red in tooth and claw, though — that’s a different story, and that’s what Sultan’s got in her crosshairs.

If you haven’t seen the video clip that made Sultan famous, watch it now. The one from February is, I believe, MEMRI’s all-time most downloaded clip.

Update: A contact at MEMRI confirms that it is their most-viewed clip — with more than six million downloads.

Comments

We need women like her to stand up all over the world, especially the western part. What she has done so far is remarkable and beyond brave. Need a take-charge leader? This is one. She has my vote.

tormod on June 26, 2006 at 4:45 PM

“Fair comparison?”

Not even close; but I have no doubt you will continue to try.

Cary on June 26, 2006 at 4:51 PM

You think it’s totally unfair to compare Sultan to Coulter, Cary?

Allahpundit on June 26, 2006 at 4:52 PM

In fact Islam is a misogynistic cult. The fact that women are indoctrinated does not make it less so.

pat on June 26, 2006 at 4:53 PM

I wonder if anyone in the Middle East saw this and soaked it up. Her comparison is about as stark as you can get. It probably fell on deaf brainwashed Islamic ears. Their religion has no room for open thought.

Shmo on June 26, 2006 at 4:55 PM

I should clarify Allah, sorry. I beleive it is wrong to characterize Ann as a mean spirited liability.

Now, I don’t see a comparison between Sultan’s over-generalizations and what you call Ann being mean or nasty. Even if both are true I don’t see how there is a reason to compare the two in that way.

You won’t see any ‘flaming’ from me Allah, so feel free to correct me where appropriate. Thanks.

Cary on June 26, 2006 at 5:04 PM

Allah,

How long have you had this noisome obsession of Ann Coulter? Sorry, but the two don’t compare when you apply context to their declamations and elocutions.

GT on June 26, 2006 at 5:09 PM

After re-reading the article that is linked here; I have to re-emphasize my first post and agree with GT. Context is key here, and as usual Ann’s critics have no use for something that pesky.

Cary on June 26, 2006 at 5:11 PM

Really, Allah, I see your logic working, but they’re apples and oranges. What dire consequences does AC face, other than being the subject of a whiny al-NYT piece, and summary disinvitation to Muffy & Buffy’s annual Tea & Triscuits Extravaganza?

On the other hand, Wafa is probably at imminent risk of being forcibly made a foot shorter by the very jihadists she dares to stare down.

I could argue stylistic differences, as well. But props to you, Allah, once again, you got me to think.

Kid from Brooklyn on June 26, 2006 at 5:13 PM

Wafa Sultan speaks for millions I’m sure. She had the guts to do it where many don’t. On the other hand, Coulter does much the same thing although the only thing westerners have to fear is being called “insensitive” or a “mean-spirited liability”. I don’t think she’s either.

I hope Wafas courage emboldens more people to speak up about the cult of islam. I hope Coulters courage inspires the rest of us to continue to speak the truth and not be afraid of the silly names we may be called.

darwin on June 26, 2006 at 5:26 PM

Really dude, you’re looking obsessed with Coulter. We already know that most of us here disagree with your assessment of Ann, so what’s the point of beating this dead horse yet again?

thirteen28 on June 26, 2006 at 5:31 PM

I agree with you that they’re apples and oranges, KFB. Didn’t mean to imply otherwise.

Allahpundit on June 26, 2006 at 5:35 PM

In Washington’s time, it would have been Washington who blew up the NYT. In Lincoln’s time it would have been Lincoln, in Wilson’s time it would have been Wilson and in FDR’s time, it would have been FDR who blew up the NYT. It would have been seen to be “in America’s best interest”.

America and Americans have changed a lot.

Perchant on June 26, 2006 at 5:56 PM

Wafa is going for the jugular, and doing a damn good job of it. It is a travesty that she doesn’t get more press in this country, and one of the most telling indictments of the media and feminist movements that she is so ignored, I think.

Coulter is going for the funny. I think what really pisses the left off is that Coulter’s brand of over the top, outrageous, nothing is off limits humor used to be their exclusive province, and now Coulter is beating them at their own game. Today on Rush she was talking briefly about the “Murtha is the reason soldiers invented fragging” line, someone in an interview was asking for reactions to names and she was spouting out funny one liners about them. She was disappointed her favorite: “Cindy Sheehan is the Dennis Rodman of grieving mothers” got over looked. She probably doesn’t do a whole lot of good for the cause, but personally I think she is funny as hell.

B Moe on June 26, 2006 at 6:15 PM

Allah,
I do appreciate all your negative posts regarding AC. I mean really, Hotair gets boring and you help to liven things up a bit … making sure you still have commentators reading the site:) I am curious though … as to whether or not you are married … I would be concerned if I was your wife … you are so obsessed with Ann … and it really is obvious you have a crush on her:) Maybe you should try a different approach to attracting her? Just a thought:)

wytammic on June 26, 2006 at 6:28 PM

… just ask her out … that sometimes works

wytammic on June 26, 2006 at 6:29 PM

I don’t like criticizing people for their looks, wytammic, since I’m very far from being good-looking myself. But, er, I don’t find AC attractive.

Just sayin’.

Allahpundit on June 26, 2006 at 6:37 PM

Okay, keep telling yourself that Allah ;) ;)

You might want to mention it to your alter ego … just so you don’t confuse yourself:)

wytammic on June 26, 2006 at 6:40 PM

I mentioned it to him. He says he doesn’t find her attractive either.

Allahpundit on June 26, 2006 at 6:41 PM

The on;y similarity to truthfully be made between the two is that they’re both female. In todays narcissistic media, AC uses the only real formula that is guarenteed to get noticed, simply stated, verbage that illicits a reaction. That her observations were more truthful than not has been ignored due simply to the deivery method.

Chief1942 on June 26, 2006 at 6:42 PM

LOL — you are making me chuckle. I will be good as I don’t want you to ban me:) I am just joking with you (kind of) and respect your opinion of her. I have an appreciation for most things Ann says, but do respect your voice too. Have a great evening Allah.

wytammic on June 26, 2006 at 6:47 PM

I know full well I’m wasting my breath here, but I will too disagree with you Allahpundit. And then I will shut up, because attempting to convince you of how wrong you are isn’t worth my time.

RH

RobertHuntingdon on June 26, 2006 at 7:25 PM

Wow, has that sensible woman keep from getting blown-up or stoned? How many Arab women think like her, I wonder?

Ann has a great sense of humor and this woman just seems to provide clear, common sense with no laughs.

Hening on June 26, 2006 at 7:40 PM

Wafa Sultan and Ann Coulter share one common characteristics…they both like to generalize..

In ann’s book she said most of the liberals were believed in shintoism or Buddhism prior to 9/11. This is so wrong. With 75% of US population proclaimed to be of the Christian sect, at least you should have 33% of the liberals that are Christian. Since less than 2% of the US population proclaimed to be Buddhist, you have no more than 5% of the liberals are Buddhist. I suspect Buddhism and shintoism are the two smallest sects within liberals.

If Ann is writing about the liberals being Godless, at least she should do some serious research on the liberals.

The most popular belief within the liberals could be the New Age spiritualism…although I don’t have any real data to prove it. Many are also believed in Feng Shui, I Ching, Chi, Yuga,and rocks that they called crystal…etc. I think they are the left over from the New Age movement when many Yogis came here for the big kill.

Some are died hard UFOlogists who believe that we have a huge UFO laboratory under hanger 51 in Roswell. If they believe in global warming they would believe anything you tell them, with a straight face of course.

If Ann could just date a couple true liberals, she could have learnt much more about liberalism and her books would be more interesting. But then again, may be she would rather just die.

I ain’t liberal so I believe in having another can of beer.

easy87us on June 26, 2006 at 9:58 PM

The article by the rabbi reminds me of the old definition of a liberal from Mad magazine, circa 1968 — a person who tries to see the other guy’s point of view while being mugged.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on June 26, 2006 at 10:30 PM

Attila, you are so wrong…no offense…

Liberal is …a person who got mugged but end up suing the city for not having sufficient lighting for him to see the mugger at the street corner, and won.

Then he would spend the money on pot.

easy87us on June 26, 2006 at 11:30 PM

Allah, baby. Sit on it. Cool your jets.

Ann Rawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am estatic that she drives the Libs over the edge like she does and that is her ‘style’. So do get your panties in a bunch. Wheter its this Moslim babe or Coulter or Huffinton or Couric. So what? they all got a soapbox and they all got style.

But Annie. She got gun! Whoowie-e–e-e-e-e!R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah. R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah.
R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah. R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah.
R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah. R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah.
R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah. R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah.
R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah. R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah.
R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah. R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah.
R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah. R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah.
R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah. R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah.
R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah. R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah.
R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah. R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah.
R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah. R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah.
R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah. R-A-W-K On Ann Yeah.

auspatriotman on June 27, 2006 at 1:05 AM

Let me be clear: I love Ann Coulter. Love her column, love her books (reading the first now). She’s amusing as hell, and uses that rapier wit to make people think.

But the comparison here is unfair. Not to Coulter – to the other woman, Wafa Sultan.

She is serious. Deadly serious.
Coulter is not.

I realize the cult of Coulter won’t like that heresy. But she’s a humorist. She mocks liberals for laughs. Not that she doesn’t make her point and make it well – but the entertainment comes first.

Wafa Sultan is a serious, impressive, courageous woman. What an amazing speaker. And what stunning bravery. A lot of us have been wondering why moderate Arabs aren’t speaking out.

Here’s one.

I love Ann. Really do. But she couldn’t carry that woman’s purse.

Professor Blather on June 27, 2006 at 12:59 PM