Coultermania! Is AC … a Deadhead?

posted at 12:20 pm on June 24, 2006 by Allahpundit

Can’t be true. Can it?

I fondly remember seeing the Dead when I was at Cornell. It was the day of the fabulous Fiji Island party on the driveway “island” of the Phi Gamma Delta House. We’d cover ourselves in purple Crisco and drink purple Kool-Aid mixed with grain alcohol and dance on the front yard. Wait – I think got the order reversed there: We’d drink purple Kool-Aid mixed with grain alcohol and then cover ourselves in purple Crisco – then the dancing. You probably had to be there to grasp how utterly fantastic this was.

coulter-tiedye.jpg

At the L.A. Times, Meghan Daum mocks those who insist that Coulter’s a “satirist”:

Today, of course, “A Modest Proposal” is considered one of the greatest works of political satire in the English language. But isn’t that always the way? Comedy is tragedy plus time, which may explain why Ann Coulter, the Cruella De Vil of blond, ectomorphic wonkdom, is getting such a beating by the liberal and (more important) tragically literal mainstream media. Such is the price of being in the cultural vanguard. If you think Swift was cutting-edge, imagine having a wit so dry that even you haven’t yet realized you’re a satirist…

Coulter, with her lucky genes and shrewd marketing instincts, isn’t self-loathing enough to be a comedienne, but she’s a brilliant satirist in spite of herself. She can add tragedy to time, subtract actual humor, divide by the lowest common denominator and come up with “A Modest Proposal, 2006.” It was about time someone pimped up that rusty old tract.

Comments

She’s from New Caanan, graduated HS late 70s. Everyone was a Deadhead there.

JammieWearingFool on June 24, 2006 at 12:23 PM

Those must be the Mother of All Contact Highs.

Kid from Brooklyn on June 24, 2006 at 12:47 PM

I seem to recall reading an article years ago about how the Dead wanted to vertically integrate their whole LP mfr process to ensure availablity and make the most profit.

bbz123 on June 24, 2006 at 12:53 PM

Daum reeks of pure jealousy. With over 70% of poll respondents agreeing with Ann I think the MSM is
in an insane rage!! Daum wishes she could be 10%
of what is.

sharinlite on June 24, 2006 at 12:59 PM

She most certainly is a Deadhead. That’s been out there for years. She covered this herself on the “Is It True What They Say About Ann?” DVD.

A Google Search of Ann Coulter Grateful Dead turned up this tidbit from The Huffington Post:

I grew up listening to the grateful dead. But then I found out the Princess of Darkness- Ann Coulter-is a huge fan. I haven’t been able to listen to them since.

Proof positive.

Carvin Guitar Man on June 24, 2006 at 1:00 PM

When need to post a list of conservatives favorite foods, so the little darlings will know what they don’t like to eat.

B Moe on June 24, 2006 at 1:20 PM

Somehow I knew Ann was a Deadhead. Wish I ran into her a concert. Can I ask again? Ann, will you marry me? The more I learn about, hear, and see the blessed Ms. Coulter the cooler she seems to me.

Psycotte on June 24, 2006 at 1:53 PM

If I remember correctly, William Bennett went out with Janis Jopin once. Hey – just because we’re conservative doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy rock.

Ellen on June 24, 2006 at 1:58 PM

Ann’s Deadheadism is the worst kept secret. This, from her website. http://www.anncoulter.com/cgi-local/photo.cgi?image=ann_berlin.jpg

Kid from Brooklyn on June 24, 2006 at 2:09 PM

Conservatives like sex too.

Whatcha gonna do now, leftards?

speed647 on June 24, 2006 at 2:37 PM

Ann may have been a big fan of the Dead in the 70′s and 80′s, but she dressed more like a punk rocker. Check out this photo of her on CNBC in 1981. She looked good in green hair!

Kevin M on June 24, 2006 at 3:05 PM

Conservatives like wealth too.

When will the Kennedys, George Soros, Ms. Pelosi, Barbra Streisand, Arianna Huffington, Theresa Heinz, Ms. Feinstein, etc. give up theirs?

Entelechy on June 24, 2006 at 3:06 PM

Aside from her wit, talent and grasp of raw realities, political and other, Ann C. thinks and believes conservative but doesn’t look and act like Phyllis Schlaffley.

She looks, dresses and acts like any liberal female does or could.

She is perfectly placed in our crazy political time. She knows exactly what to say and write and when. With a smile.

This emasculates the Left to no end. They are shackled. She knows exactly how to exploit their hypocrisies, idiocies and angsts and how/when to terrorize them. What a weapon she is! Schadenfreude!

Entelechy on June 24, 2006 at 3:25 PM

Conservatives enjoy being in power, as well as money. Goodnight, now.

Kid from Brooklyn on June 24, 2006 at 4:21 PM

With over 70% of poll respondents agreeing with Ann…

70%, that’s a lot! Where was this poll?

Another unlikely Deadhead: David Boreanaz.

Jim Treacher on June 24, 2006 at 5:14 PM

I just posted on my blog that if Dorothy Parker were around today, she would love Sarah Silverman and, even though they are extreme opposites as to politics, I think she would enjoy Ann Coulter’s work, too. Ann is funny, and funny connects us all. There are probably a million leftists who wish they had an Ann Coulter quipping for their side.
Speaking of Deadheads, and as I mentioned funny:FZ.
Frank Zappa-Uncle Meat. There you go.

Doug on June 24, 2006 at 8:40 PM

Not only that, she is a good writer, too! ;^)

I’m reading Godless now. I was perusing the book at Borders, in the “cafe”, when a woman (wearing biker clothes) came up to me and asked my how I liked it, and that she loved the book and everything else Ann writes. Even biker chicks like her!

Deadhead, TV personality, columnist, book author, gun enthusiast.

A true Renaissance woman. ;^)

georgej on June 24, 2006 at 10:51 PM

Does this mean that Allah has a newfound respect for Ann?

GT on June 25, 2006 at 12:16 AM

Yeah the preceding comments are all well and good, but sheesh she has to get that hair registered… And yah Ann, you kill in a black shortie dress, but come on!!

I wish Ann would forget the hyperbole and legs-blonde-thing and really hit them with arguments, which are unassailable

jayaye on June 25, 2006 at 1:16 AM

I fondly remember seeing the Dead when I was at Cornell. . . We’d cover ourselves in purple Crisco and drink purple Kool-Aid mixed with grain alcohol and dance on the front yard.

Those Ivy Leaguers were always so much more organized than we were.

Essex on June 25, 2006 at 4:25 AM

My daughter actually alerted me to this little bit of trivia. She saw it on a show on VH-1 about the 70′s. I caught the rerun and yes she said it and it is on tape somewhere in the VH-1 vaults.

LakeRuins on June 25, 2006 at 10:12 AM