Marty Peretz: Kos is a moron and quite possibly insane

posted at 9:46 pm on June 23, 2006 by Allahpundit

Red on red. Or is it blue on blue?

Whatever. It’s a lovely little rant, striking as it does at the heart of the nutroots weltanschauung: their absolute conviction that they’re very, very, very smart.

Update: Everyone’s already seen Dan Riehl’s post about Jerome “Carnac” Armstrong, right? It was linked a bunch of places today but somehow it got lost in my shuffle. Anyway, read it now, because in true-to-form Marxist fashion, the information Dan dug up is suddenly and mysteriously disappearing down the memory hole.

Re: Armstrong, recall that one of the featured panels at Yearly Kos was devoted to “Championing Science.”

Update: RedState floods the zone. Just keep scrolling…

Comments

Allah… Dude… I studied German for eight hard years and I never even heard the word “weltanschauung.” I kneel before thee.

-Bryan at Sanctuary

Prophet on June 23, 2006 at 10:03 PM

my cheap translater says..weltanschauung-world view.

easy87us on June 23, 2006 at 10:43 PM

Whenever I gestalt my weltansschauung I always make sure to ersatz my schadenfreude.

RD on June 23, 2006 at 11:40 PM

Yes, I knew what it meant from the word roots; I’d never heard the German for that specific concept. German hasn’t invented a new word in centuries (it seems, anyway). When a new concept or thing comes along, they took stock words and stuck ’em together ( “television” = Fehrnseher, or “far see”).

But I am wholly digressing from the point of this whole post… Kos is a few pickles shy of a deli. That doesn’t stop my own willingness to bet that we might -MIGHT- (gather round close, folks… the Photoshop Schlub is making a prediction) we might see Kos pinging the water’s depth as an exploratory move for a 2008 or 2010 midterm run for an elected office. I couldn’t say which one, but when one believes so much of his own press, he just might think he has the backing of enough moonbats to try it.

-Bryan at Sanctuary

“Allah is the Blogger and Bryan is the Prophet.”

Prophet on June 23, 2006 at 11:43 PM

Marty Peretz: Kos is a moron and quite possibly insane

Why is this news? Pot calling the kettle black has always been part of the Liberal playbook.

GT on June 23, 2006 at 11:47 PM

Kos is a few pickles shy of a deli…Bryan

This is the best….LOL

easy87us on June 24, 2006 at 12:00 AM

Just caught up w/the links Allah. It’s news to me yet all too familiar…

It’s painful to have friends [who I haven’t had a real conversation with in 5 years] wrapped up in this nonsense.

RD on June 24, 2006 at 12:08 AM

“I only believe in science.”

bbz123 on June 24, 2006 at 12:09 AM

Kos is just the example of the logical (and I use the word advisadly) of the over emotionalism and rhetorical excess of the fever-swamp left as it has come to be since the days of the “counter-culture” to today!

In FACT, that is why Conservatism has advanced so far since the days of the clumsy and often times poorly spoken Barry Goldwater (let’s face it, he said some stupid things). We have been the only side that has invested logic and deep thinking into our positions. The left, on the other hand, exists merely on rage and assumption.

Here is my favorite quote about the left that i would like to share with you all…

“Modern liberalism, for most liberals, is not a consciously understood set of rational beliefs, but a bundle of unexamined prejudices and conjoined sentiments. The basic ideas and beliefs seem more satisfactory when they are not made fully explicit, when they merely lurk rather obscurely in the background, coloring the rhetoric and adding a certain emotive glow.” – James Burnham

Warner Todd Huston on June 24, 2006 at 1:42 AM

Allah, you are doing more for the preservation of the German language than Germany does.

Prophet, the Germans don’t invent words any more because almost a quarter of their writings consist of English words now (newspapers, magazines, etc.), even if German equivalents exist – “we hate America but we love everything American”.

RD, you win first prize for twisted language and humor! What wit!

On Kos – Schadenfreude ist auch eine Freude (Pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others is also pleasure)

Entelechy on June 24, 2006 at 3:00 AM

Jeez. I can’t believe how many of you have never heard the word weltanschauung.

Haven’t any of you ever taken a course in psychology or sociology?

Oh, that’s right. We conservatives are heavily underrepresented in the social sciences. That explains it.

tommy1 on June 24, 2006 at 3:13 AM

Kos’ Weltanschauung is actually very narrow – he is, therefore, a Dummkopf.

Entelechy on June 24, 2006 at 3:42 AM

Some of my favorite German Words:

Desk = SchriebTisch = Write + Table

Rhino = NasHorn = Nose + Horn

Skunk = SchtinkTiere = Stink + Animal

moc23 on June 24, 2006 at 12:19 PM

Too complex for Kos but interesting, for those curious enough

Mark Twain said:

Some German words are so long that they have a perspective

Yearly contests are held in Germany for the longest words; just a sample:

Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerk-
bauunterbeamtengessellschaft
(one word, no hyphen)
(die, 80 letters) “association of subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services”

Entelechy on June 24, 2006 at 2:11 PM

I prefer to call Armstrong “Unknown Jerome.” There actually was an “Unknown Jerome” brand of cookies in the L.A. area years ago. It was some guy named Jerome who made them in response to Famous Amos. I actually tried them. Not bad. Unknown Jerome.

As to German words…My FAVORITE German word (actually backward German word) has to be FREUDENSCHADE which means, “the premature exhilaration at the anticipated suffering of others.” And NOW for your entertainment pleasure, the FREUDENSCHADE song sung to the tune of Edelweiss and composed by that famous Tin Pan Alley Songmeister, Charles Henrickson:

Freudenschade, Freudenschade,
DUmmie joy bears repeating;
Pop champagne, feel no pain–
Only thing, it’s so fleeting.

Make ’em eat crow and the gloom will grow,
Gloom will grow and sour.

Freudenschade shoots its wad
In less than twenty-four hours.]

pjcomix on June 24, 2006 at 3:43 PM

The New Deal pushed more than a few conservatives over the edge (as well as some, such as Father Coughlin, who had supported FDR). Even after William F. Buckley, in the 50s, shunned those whose rhetoric hurt the GOP it took decades to repair the damage.

In many ways, Liberalism is where conservatism was before Buckley. While the left has more representational power than the right did after FDR and Truman, it has far, far more lunatics running around. Lunatics in high places too. The Democrats are still a ways off from realizing how destructive KOS, Code Pink, Howard Dean, John Murtha, Dick Dubran, Air America, Cindy Sheehan, Randi Rhodes and others have been to the party. And the lunatics Democrats once keep chained in the basement have yet to unleash their full destructive power. That will happen in the next two years.

Essex on June 25, 2006 at 6:12 AM