The great divide: Pew surveys Muslim public opinion

posted at 5:07 pm on June 22, 2006 by Allahpundit

Never post a link to something you haven’t read yet — unless you’re under the gun working on tomorrow’s Vent.

Here are their findings. Read it through and let me know in the comments what’s interesting and what’s not. I’ll give it a thorough going-over later. I see some good news already: thanks no doubt in large part to a certain recently deceased terrorist mastermind, Jordan is considerably more moderate than it was before.

But then there’s this:

muslims9-11.gif

Then again…

Update: More good news.

Update: Jordan — more moderate in some ways, less so in others. Check out their approval rating for Jews.

Update: Skimming, but this one speaks volumes:

pew-blame.gif

Update: Despair:

pew-cartoons.gif

Update: Judging by the results on this page, we’ve got a big problem in Nigeria.

Comments

The Western Muslim-trait-associations are incredible. Only 32% of Brits associate violence with Muslims, only 35% associate arrogance… What are the numbers in Denmark, I wonder…

Alex K on June 22, 2006 at 5:35 PM

I wish they’d asked about support for sharia.

Alex K on June 22, 2006 at 5:37 PM

Wow, that France number on 67% thinking the Muhamed cartoons outrage was due to Muslim intolerance speaks volumes. Are the French finally getting fed up with the “youths” burning their cities and cars all the time? Will the French be the ones to crack down on Islamofascism?

Intereresting!

NTWR on June 22, 2006 at 5:46 PM

Is anyone surprised?

BirdEye on June 22, 2006 at 5:48 PM

NTWR, I think France woke up after the last riots. Lets hope they stay awake.

Wyrd on June 22, 2006 at 5:49 PM

The world war has only just begun, peeps.

BirdEye on June 22, 2006 at 5:51 PM

There have been two articles (I forget the first one), one recently in Scientific American’s June 2006 issue discussing this type of “thinking”. The basic bottom line is that there are “mistakes” or “mind bugs” that operate in humans at the unconscious level that affect how we perceive others based on our bias. This is regardless of whether we “think” we are biased or not. Mahzarin Banaji did the study along with Anthony Greenwald who created an implicit association test, and Brian Nosek, a collaborator from the University of Virginia.

We may think we are being fair or honest, but our perception colors everything. The other study was by two uber left professors, one from Berkeley, and I guess my “mind bug” took offense at their conclusion because they used Republican and Democratic labels with the Right coming out not so good.

The above study clearly shows that it doesn’t matter what you think you think, your unconscious is more truthful than your conscious mind.

Add to the above the brainwashing by educators and religious leaders, and you can see how the Muslims or anyone else for that matter can come to the conclusions they do.

However, since I was a bleeding heart liberal in my younger years and grew conservative and traditionalist in my later years, I wonder what that says about me!

sharinlite on June 22, 2006 at 6:02 PM

sharinlite, were you reeducated in a publik re-education camp like myself? I thought along the moonbat line before I got out of publik screwel.

There is some major brainwashing going on in our schools, I can only imagine how bad it is in the Middle East.

NTWR on June 22, 2006 at 6:25 PM

NTWR, SHARINLITE…

You two are proofs that in a free society, liberals will gradually become conservatives. The society is our best university.

The truth will set you free.

easy87us on June 22, 2006 at 6:41 PM

I am not in the least bit surprised by this.
Nobody else should be, either.

Abigail Adams on June 22, 2006 at 7:07 PM

jeeesh, all this goes to show is that isalm is INCOMPATIBLE with western ideals and lifestyles. Muslims should not migrate to the west and should stay where they are. If you’re here already, go back or renounce isalm. That I feel is the only solution….separation.

darwin on June 22, 2006 at 7:11 PM

Darwin I agree, the only way they can be allowed to exist any longer is to be separated from the free societies that they are so hell-bent on destroying.period.

bbz123 on June 22, 2006 at 7:18 PM

I can see we’re on our way to another round of bannings tonight.

Allahpundit on June 22, 2006 at 7:21 PM

bannings? why? everything put forth since the conception of islam espouses the pseudo superiority of islam and the inferiority of all others. This is clearly incompatible with everything most people in the west believe. They prefer death, we prefer life. We prefer freedom, they choose slavery and the list goes on.

It’s either we’re kept separate or one must kill the other.

darwin on June 22, 2006 at 7:27 PM

NTWR, easy87us…

Naw, its called reality and yeah schools are bad…I reeducate my grandkids every day. My sophmore’s history test was more concerned with “interred Japanese” than in what Hitler did to the Jews!! Shish! My granddaughter had to change her major because of the lefty professors bagging on Bush 24/7.

sharinlite on June 22, 2006 at 7:47 PM

That is what I was getting at , if you have a group that wants to destroy you,enslave you or just kill you, self-defense is mandatory. WE would be happy to let them pray 5 times a day and have their life so ling as they let us have ours.If there is a refusal for that,then stay on your side and we’ll stay on ours. We are loathe to kill, even in self-defense.We do not want to unless it is th only option.Even then we do not dance and cheer, we are solemn.

bbz123 on June 22, 2006 at 7:48 PM

Muslims should not migrate to the west and should stay where they are.

While the numbers are discouraging, the poll results clearly indicate there is no monolithic they there. Islam is divided into many camps, and many of those have shown the ability to adapt and get along. Feeding carrots to these folks while the fanatics get the stick seems the sensible approach to me. Trying to segregate them reeks of a moonbat approach, frankly.

B Moe on June 22, 2006 at 7:59 PM

I agree with those saying Islam cannot co-exist with the West. If there’s any compromise there, where is it? To them we’re infidels too “dirty” to shake their hands. How can they function in our society? How can we put up with their demands? I only see the gulf widening unless they, not us, does some serious house cleaning within their society.

right as rain man on June 22, 2006 at 8:11 PM

Muslims appear to be bug-eyed, deranged lunatics.

pat on June 22, 2006 at 8:16 PM

Where the hell do you people live? Because I live and work with Muslims everyday in Atlanta, and we get along just fine.

B Moe on June 22, 2006 at 8:21 PM

Well, B Moe, I don’t hear many members of the religion of peace coming out and loudly denouncing the outrageous actions of fellow Muslims. That’s what I mean by serious house cleaning. You may get along just fine with them, but I bet they still think you’re an infidel.

right as rain man on June 22, 2006 at 8:31 PM

B Moe, I think I understand where you are coming from. You think that there is hope for peaceful co-existance between the two religions. I hope you are right.

There isn’t a lot of good news about this sort of thing. Or if there is, I haven’t been hearing it. If you know of good news, authentic good news, and not just propaganda, you are going to have to spread it here. You are also going to have to be ready for a lot of people telling you that you don’t know what your talking about, that you are crazy. I’ll be honest with you, I think they may be right. For what it’s worth, I hope they are wrong. I really do.

EFG on June 22, 2006 at 8:32 PM

Sigh. B Moe, check out the new article about the ongoing raid in Miami. Apparently, Muslim terrorism…

This is why I am skeptical.

Brother, if you have good news, authentic good news, don’t hold back.

EFG on June 22, 2006 at 8:42 PM

Don’t tell me you folks actually believe poll numbers. Bwahahaha! More cooked numbers is all I ever see in any poll.

Remember, figures don’t lie, but liars figure.

Duty, Honor, Country
(in THAT order)
Rowane

Rowane on June 22, 2006 at 8:55 PM

This is from Koran:

[5.51] O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.

How can you bring peace between Muslim and Jews and Christians?

I have no idea.

easy87us on June 22, 2006 at 11:23 PM

A faithful must believe in Koran. Then there will be no peace with the Christians and the Jews.

We have to be prepared for it.

Whether you like it or not.

This is like a curse that we cannot remove.

easy87us on June 22, 2006 at 11:52 PM

I can’t remember when I lost confidence in Pew, maybe it was the last Presidential elections but I stopped trusting their data a while back. When you go to their research center, and the many offshoot branches, and the financing arm behind them, you find a blank canvas. They present less information than you would expect even from a self proclaimed non-partisan think tank.

Here is a great WSJ article about Pew:

IMHO, Pew rhymes with Skew

entagor on June 23, 2006 at 12:01 PM

I couldn’t help but notice the nearly exact opposite opinions between Nigerian Muslims and Nigerian Christians. 83% of the muslims blame the west, and 69% of the Christians blame the muslims. Not that I was surprised, but that should be telling right there. The divide between Christianity and Islam is almost as bad as the divide between the political left and right in America today. The road ahead sure don’t look pretty…

RH

RobertHuntingdon on June 23, 2006 at 12:28 PM

Don’t recall where I saw it, but there was an interesting figure that went something like this: If space aliens showed up one night and teleported all the planet’s Muslims up to their ships, the next morning 3 of every 4 of the world’s armed conflicts would cease.

Islam is a “Religion of Peace”(TM) in the way that when when you shoot someone dead and stand over his corpse, you observe how “peaceful” he looks.

Spurius Ligustinus on June 23, 2006 at 12:30 PM

Researching ‘Islam means peace’ I found definitions at the national Muslim Students Association.
I figure theirs would be a muslim understanding of the word.

They say the word ‘islam’ is derived from ‘asalama’, to “surrender, resign oneself.”

They relate it to the Syriac ‘aslem’ which means “make peace, surrender” which they say is derived from the Semitic ‘slem’ which means ‘complete’.

They also relate ‘islam’ to the Arabic word ‘salem’ which translates peace.

While I read that the faith means surrender to God, it is defined and woven into the semantics of the language in such a way that implies those who have not surrendered are fighting God, resisting the real solution. This in the context of a prophet who got people to surrender to god by using a sword, and who killed citizens of Medina because they would not convert (i.e. surrender to God’) and I see a formula that creates a movement to crush infidels (the unfaithful).

Interesting that we use the western latin word for non believers (infidels) but the mid-eastern word for believers (muslims). The muslim term for non believers is ‘kafir’ According to the USC muslims student association a kafir is
“a person who refuses to submit himself to Allah (God), a disbeliever in God.”

Perhaps we avoid the term kafir because it somehow was also a derrogatory term for slave (??) and was embedded in the South African slang as a derrogatory word for blacks.

Now there is an interesting and unpleasant connection between the refusing to surrender non believer and ‘slave’.

Free-will not.