Breaking: FBI stages terror raid in Miami (Update: ABC says plan was to bomb Sears Tower) (Update: “Jihad”)

posted at 7:34 pm on June 22, 2006 by Allahpundit

Just across on CNN. Early reports say the area’s flooded with agents. Six to eight suspects are thought to have been arrested, and they’re not believed to be Muslim. If that proves true, expect the lefties to jump all over this one. If not, not.

As always, standby for updates.

Update: CNN says no weapons or bomb-making materials have been found, but according to the link above, the FBI’s been planning the operation for four months. Word is it’s domestic terrorism, not a foreign plot.

CNN is killing Fox on this, by the way. Nothing at all on FNC.

Update: The U.S. Attorney’s Office says there’ll be a press conference tomorrow, but Robert Mueller will be on Larry King tonight at 9.

Update: Wow.

ABC News has learned that federal agents, including the FBI, are launching a series of raids tonight targeting a suspected terror cell based in Miami. According to sources familiar with the investigation, the group allegedly planned to bomb the FBI building in Miami and the Sears Tower in Chicago.

The group has been under surveillance for some time and was infilitrated by a government informant who allegedly led them to believe he was an Islamic radical. The suspects are described as African Americans and at least one man of Caribbean descent.

Update: Fox says seven men were arrested. Five are citizens, one is an illegal alien from Haiti, the last is a permanent resident from an unspecified country. Apparently Alberto Gonzales himself will be giving the presser tomorrow morning.

Update: Government officials tell Fox the men were plotting “to wage jihad in conjunction with Al Qaeda.” So much for the early reports.

Update: Al Qaeda’s had its eye on homegrown recruits for awhile now, as demonstrated by the arrests of the Canadian 17. Remember this piece from the Times of London?

One aim is to create an army of “white-skinned” militants, men born in Europe and America who can convert to Islam and become harder for the authorities to detect as they cross the world on their missions, including suicide attacks…

Experts were struck by how the network was radicalising non-Arabs to alter the profile of its operatives. This included using women recruits, such as the 38-year-old Belgian waitress, born to a white, middle-class Christian family, who died in a suicide attack against US troops in Baghdad last November.

Update: Eight days ago…

Update: Suddenly CNN is getting killed. Paula Zahn is still yammering on about the possibility of unnamed “domestic targets” when ABC broke the news about the Sears Tower a good 45 minutes ago.

Update: CNN’s on the case now. Zahn’s correspondent says it wasn’t just the Sears Tower and the Miami FBI building — there were other buildings in southern Florida targeted too.

Update: Here’s video of the Fox “jihad” report.

Update: The AP says the men “had no apparent ties to Al Qaeda or other foreign organizations.” Harris Faulkner just said on Fox that the suspects thought they were hooking up with AQ when in fact they were really conspiring with undercover federal agents. Similar to how the Mounties pinched the Canadian jihadis, as you’ll recall.

Update: Only three things in life are certain: death, taxes, and the Kossacks questioning the timing.

Update: DU ups the ante — and the Kossacks promptly respond.

Update: Captain Ed notes that the AP has updated its initial report with new details on the jihad angle.

Residents living near the warehouse said the men taken into custody described themselves as Mulims and had tried to recruit young people to join their group, which seemed militaristic.

The residents said FBI agents spent several hours in the neighborhood showing photos of the suspects and seeking information. They said the men had lived in the area about a year.

The men slept in the warehouse, said Tashawn Rose, 29. “They would come out late at night and exercise. It seemed like a military boot camp that they were working on there. They would come out and stand guard.”

She talked to one of the men about a month ago: “They seemed brainwashed. They said they had given their lives to Allah.”

Update: New details from CNN: the suspects allegedly had taken photos of their targets and one of them had made an oath to Al Qaeda.

Update: More from Reuters:

“In the past couple of days, the U.S. government has taken into custody seven people who were conspiring to conduct jihad (holy war) in the United States,” the law enforcement source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

“They thought they were dealing with al Qaeda,” the source said, adding the suspects had been trying to buy weapons and other things needed to carry out attacks.

Update: Via the Commissar, more details about the plotters from NBC News:

The men — part of a radical Black Muslim group — were planning terror acts in Miami and Chicago, officials say…

Benjamin Williams, 17, said the group had young children with them sometimes.

“We were under the assumption that they were opening up a garage business,” he said, adding that they wore normal clothes “but sometimes they would cover their faces. Sometimes they would wear things on their heads, like turbins [sic].”

Update: Patterico questions the timing:

Why would this happen now, just when: evidence is coming to light that WMD (or perhaps former WMD) have been found in Iraq; Karl Rove is not being indicted; a report has found no evidence of a deliberate cover-up at Haditha; and Zarqawi has been killed?

Update: Seven were arrested, but how many were involved?

The 12 to 15 men in their 20’s and 30s appeared to be from Haiti and from the Bahamas.

”I bet they’ve gone across the water” [a neighbor] said, believing some had escaped the federal agents.

Update: A blog called National Terror Alert flashes back to March of this year, when police reported suspicious activity going on around the Sears Tower.

Comments

dorkafork, read a little more: suicide is not forbidden by the Koran if it’s in the cause of jihad. Nor is the prohibition against females outside the home. In other words, when it comes to dying for Allah – equal opportunity is all of a sudden the name of the game.

If ALL Muslims followed the Koran as it was written, and the intent of the bloodthirsy murderer who wrote it (Muhammed), we wouldn’t be here having this conversation. It’s only thanks to the non-devout – ie: the slacker “Muslims” – that True Islam didn’t make it out of the Dark Ages. Until NOW. Now we’re facing an implacable and extremely religious enemy with the mentality of a barbarian – the more religious, the more barbaric, the more dangerous. Like I said above…

Redhead Infidel on June 23, 2006 at 12:57 PM

redhead infidel: The Koran says do not kill yourself, and there are hadiths that also condemn suicide.

What the terrorist do, is they look at verses that say “those who die in the Way of God” or words to that effect trump clear condemnations of suicide. Rational muslims would say that the Koran is clear, don’t kill yourself, and point out that there are many ways to “die in the Way of God” without killing yourself (and without killing innocents, which is also forbidden).

Now we could argue what is proper under Islam, but I’m not terribly interested. What is interesting is that you are on the terrorists’ side in your interpretation. Why on earth would you do that? You’re taking it upon yourself to say, “No, if you’re a muslim and you take the very reasonable view that the Koran means what it says when it forbids suicide, then you’re not a ‘real’ muslim.” At the bare minimum there’s disagreement, why do you so easily agree with the terrorists?

dorkafork on June 23, 2006 at 1:23 PM

KORAN[8.12] When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you, therefore make firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them.

Can you blame the jihadist for believing what they read?

easy87us on June 23, 2006 at 2:49 PM

dorkafork, I’ve already written REAMS on this, and have no need to rectify your naivete in this comment thread where I am merely a guest. Your talking point shows a fundamental delusion in what you think you know about Islam. Your link is someone else’s attempt to make Islam palatable to the masses – and it is excruciatingly incomplete and out of context. Therefore, you can study the popular myths about Islam, heed those who have come out of Islam, and examine where you’ve gone sp terribly wrong. Read what I and others have already written. Or not. I have no doubt you’ll do the latter.

Redhead Infidel on June 23, 2006 at 3:21 PM

My previous response to dorkafork didn’t post – likely because it was replete with a dozen or more links to articles I and others have already written on the truth about Islam. So, you’ll have to live another day without my tender tutelage, dorkafork, since I’m in no mood to single-handedly rectify your misunderstanding on this comment thread where I am merely a guest. Of course, you can always visit my site and scroll down in the left-hand sidebar to the links under the section entitled INTEL (Myths about Islam, Apostates of Islam, Faith Freedom, The Religion of Peace, Know Islam, and others). You can also read our hundreds of articles under the Archive (top right hand corner) entitled ISLAM. Then read the books Terror at Beslan, Prophet of Doom, and Islam Revealed. The little link you posted will look absurd after such an in-depth study.

Educate yourself. Then examine your heart and mind for the reason why you find it necessary to be an apologist for the most evil and blood-thirsty religion ever established by man.

Redhead Infidel on June 23, 2006 at 3:31 PM

If I had the time and inclination, I could select single verses from various interpretations of the Bible and justify nearly any lifestyle or action you can imagine. The Koran is no different, the Sunni/Shia split happened within a generation of Mohammeds death, the arguments over what he meant were that immediate. Islam is like any other religion, it will adapt and evolve with the times if it is in its best interest.

B Moe on June 23, 2006 at 3:33 PM

Ha, so I am naive. Well, perhaps with the “tutelage” of someone with an axe to grind who has read the Koran TWICE! (WOW! A whole two times!) I too can learn to hate Muslims.

I will only state that I have seen your approach to Islam many times before. It shows incredible hubris, people read the Koran (TWICE!) and decide they can determine what is or is not Islam. And then of course any moderate Muslims who have a different but valid interpretation are accused of being insincere and deliberately lying. And it plays into the terrorists’ hands by painting moderate Muslims as “not true Muslims”. It is pro-terrorist propagandizing.

dorkafork on June 23, 2006 at 4:37 PM

B Moe: If I had the time and inclination, I could select single verses from various interpretations of the Bible and justify nearly any lifestyle or action you can imagine.

My point here is not single verses taken out of context that can justify any amount of evil – I’m talking about the entire system of beliefs. So your point actually isn’t relevant.

B Moe: Islam is like any other religion, it will adapt and evolve with the times if it is in its best interest.

And unfortunately, it hasn’t. Which is part of the problem.

dorkafork: …someone with an axe to grind…

Yes, I have a bit of a problem with people who torture and murder innocents. I have a HUGE fuckin’ axe to grind with scum like that. You won’t make me feel bad about that, dorkafork.

Take a look at history. These so-called moderate interpretations are relatively recent, as Muslims have attempted to assimilate into other cultures and traditions. The Koran is specifically at odds with the values of individual freedoms and human rights. They’ve had to water down their own texts in order to be palatable to their neighbors. Islam has a very long and bloody history that cannot be erased with plucking a few verses out of context (thanks, B Moe) and spinning them to look pretty to those who don’t bother to look beneath the surface.

Redhead Infidel on June 23, 2006 at 5:13 PM

But you are using single verses taken out of context to “prove” your point, so it is relevant.

Which is exactly my point, Christians used to be rather barbaric also, burning witches, gays and scientists at the stake, inquistitions, all kinds of fun shit. All completely justified by the Word. But as western civilization advanced, those beliefs became incompatable with the mainstream and the religion evolved. Islam has reached a similar crossroads, just at a later date. Maybe because the geographic center of the religion has been fairly isolated until recently, maybe just because it is a younger religion, I don’t know. But look back at Christianity in the 14th century, when it was the same age Islam is now, and look at where Christianity is now. I don’t think it is unreasonable to think Islam will adapt if its survival depends on it.

B Moe on June 23, 2006 at 5:49 PM

Islam will adapt if its survival depends on it.

Let’s hope not.

And in the meantime, what about our survival? Never before have weapons of mass destruction made it possible for so few to murder so many. If your benign hope is that Islam will eventually pacify over the next seven centuries, then I think you’d better figure out a way for everyone to live through it. Because the Muslims don’t intend that you do.

Redhead Infidel on June 23, 2006 at 6:12 PM

No. In none of my comments did I do so. I always think of Islam in terms of the whole package: the Koran, Hadith (Bukhari and Muslim), and Ta’rikh. But don’t take my word for it:

Islam rises and falls on Muhammad. He is the religion’s sole prophet, Islam’s solitary example, Allah’s lone conduit. Without Muhammad, Allah, the Qur’an, and Islam would be unknown. Yet the picture the Islamic scriptures paint of this man is not flattering; his words aren’t believable. According to the Qur’an and Hadith, Muhammad was a thief, rapist, and terrorist. It’s hardly the example you’d want your neighbor to emulate.

The depiction of the prophet by the most revered Muslim sources reveals behavior that is immoral, criminal, and violent. The five oldest and most trusted Islamic sources don’t portray Muhammad as a great and godly man. They confirm that he was a thief, liar, assassin, mass murderer, terrorist, warmonger, and an unrestrained sexual pervert engaged in pedophilia, incest, and rape. He authorized deception, assassinations, torture, slavery, and genocide. He was a pirate, not a prophet. According to the Hadith and the Qur’an, Muhammad and his henchmen plundered their way to power and prosperity. And by putting the Qur’an in chronological order and correlating it with the context of Muhammad’s life, we find that Allah mirrored his prophet’s character. Muhammad’s god condoned immoral and criminal behavior. Allah boasts about being a terrorist. He claims to have deceived men, to have stolen their property, to have enslaved women and children, to having committed acts of murder, genocide, and sadistic tortures.

Redhead Infidel on June 23, 2006 at 6:23 PM

Let’s hope not? WTF? Do you want armageddon? I mean what are you hoping for?

And I don’t think it will take seven centuries, it didn’t take Christianity that long, but it certainly won’t speed up the progress to blindly lump them all together as barbaric savages. Do you truly not know any Muslims personally? Because it sure sounds that way.

B Moe on June 23, 2006 at 6:28 PM

I mean what are you hoping for?

I’m hoping Islam as a cult doesn’t survive.

Do you truly not know any Muslims personally?

Yes, weirdly enough I know about 5 or 6 Muslim men, all of whom I’d consider Westernized (or more accurately, civilized). They consider themselves observant and go to mosque, but they are considered corrupt and apostate by their families still in Pakistan and Lebanon and Afghanistan. So while THEY think they are Muslims, their sect says they are not. They can’t go back or they will be killed. I actually think they are more secular than even they realize, since after all, they go to meetings with me, shake my hand, speak with me, and socialize with me – all prohibited by the Koran.

Redhead Infidel on June 23, 2006 at 6:57 PM

BTW, as a woman, I have additional reason to hope Islam dies away as a failed religion. Perhaps you should try thinking of how horrifying Islam is from as modern woman’s perspective. For the life of me, I cannot imagine how any man worth his salt would be an apologist for such a philosophy.

Redhead Infidel on June 23, 2006 at 7:02 PM

Have you informed your friends that based on your two readings of the Koran and books on Islam by Christian evangelicals you have determined that they are not, in fact, Muslim?

dorkafork on June 23, 2006 at 7:16 PM

I am not apologizing for the Isamic jihadists, I am not apologizing for any of them, really. I just don’t understand how you can say this:

…agree with their parents that they aren’t really Muslims, then accuse me of being an apologist for the parents. YOU are the one taking the side of the death cult jihadists, do you not understand that? The future is with the westernized moderates, it is a helluva lot more reasonable(and moral) to try to convert them than to kill them all.

So while THEY think they are Muslims, their sect says they are not.

No, the old sect says they are not, and you choose to agree with them. I prefer to agree with your friends, and allow them to be both civilized and Muslim.

B Moe on June 23, 2006 at 7:24 PM

dorkafork – how bright are you? I mean, how many times do you have to read something before you finally get it? If you checked out even half the sources I gave you – you’d notice a good many of them are ex-Muslims themselves. I find your attempts to make fun of me pathetic and juvenile. You’re not impressing anyone with your clumsy ad hominems, so you can stop anytime.

Anyway…

While I was at the computer, I was thinking about B Moe’s hope for the evolution of Islam. Islam didn’t start out on the right foot – it was a corrupt philosphy founded by an evil man. Mohammed was no Jesus – so history shows us. And Islam hasn’t gotten any better over the past millenium. So doesn’t it seem a little obtuse to hope for a better performance now? Islam has always been at war, and they will continue until they realize their goal of a Caliphate – worldwide Islamic domination. So how are we supposed to attribute characteristics of peace and kindness based upon the moderation of Westernized Muslims when entire NATIONS ascribe to True Islam? If moderates are in the majority, and the extremists are in the minority – as you so allege – then why can’t they stop them? If you feel that the extremists are so few and far between (notwithstanding the entire nations of them such as Iran, Chechnya, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, JOrdan, Lebanon, Albania, etc) then why can’t the “moderates” take back their religion that the extremists have “hi-jacked”? In fact, why don’t the “moderates” even try?

Your theory of moderates might be more credible if they actually stood up and opposed the extremists – loudly, plainly, consistently, and mercilessly – and SHUT THEM DOWN! But they don’t. Instead, they fund them.

My whole statement has been that I don’t believe in the theory of moderation. Islam is not a moderate belief. Even my Muslim acquaintances admit that much. What I said from the beginning is that moderation is only a euphemism for “secularism”.

Now, the bottom line is that it is not MY place to have to prove that Islam is violent and evil – we see the evidence of that in the news every single freakin’ day. To the contrary, if there are moderates out there, it is THEIR responsibility to prove Islam is otherwise. Unfortunately, a peaceful and friendly PR campaign does nothing (except fool people like you) – it’s mere words – unless they effect change on their brethren. Until then, Islam is what it is. And it remains what it ever has been through history: a blight, a cancer, a dark, murderous, rapacious oppression. And one that I will fight so that my children – and yours – won’t have to live under it.

Redhead Infidel on June 23, 2006 at 7:38 PM

It’s a simple question. Have you ever told your friends that you don’t think they’re real Muslims? Have you ever corrected them on their misimpressions of the faith they claim to profess? Corrected them on their knowledge of the Koran? Asked them why they haven’t “stood up and opposed the extremists – loudly, plainly, consistently, and mercilessly”?

dorkafork on June 23, 2006 at 8:33 PM

If you think you can wipe out an entire religion in one generation, well, let me just say I no longer consider myself the most optimistic in this discussion. And have you ever really read to Old Testament? Mohammed would have fit right in with most of those cats, they were pretty much incestous murdering thieves, also. It was a different world back then, the other children of Abraham have adapted to the new world, I have no reason to believe Muslims won’t also. You yourself have admitted they will, you just refuse to accept them. You need to think about that.

B Moe on June 23, 2006 at 8:49 PM

B Moe: I just don’t understand how you can say this…agree with their parents that they aren’t really Muslims, then accuse me of being an apologist for the parents.

You’re asking the wrong questions, dear. Let me tell you about a polite conversation I had with one of my Muslim acquaintances – he’s from Pakistan. We were talking about religious freedom in America which he appreciates for the most part except when it comes to Judaism. When he told me that even though he is “observant”, his family in Pakistan thinks he is apostate, I asked him if his family is Muslim. He said, “Yes, of course”. Then I asked if HE was Muslim, and he said , “Yes, of course.” Then I asked, because I truly wanted to understand, “Then who is the True Muslim?” He stared at me blankly – he had no answer.

So I say to you, that’s the kind of question you should be asking. And if THEY can’t figure it out – how do you think YOU’VE got it all figured out?

dorkafork, my behaviour in my personal life among my acquaintances, while seemingly of great interest to you, is not relevant to the merits of my points. Suffice it to say that no one has sawn my head off yet, though I have earned a fatwa for my writings. Why don’t you try getting back on track with the actual points of discussion and quit worrying about my social life?

Redhead Infidel on June 23, 2006 at 8:51 PM

You yourself have admitted they will

No, I haven’t. Please refrain from putting words in my mouth to try and make your point. I think you can do better than that.

Redhead Infidel on June 23, 2006 at 8:53 PM

He stared at you blankly because it is a silly question. Who are the true Christians? Baptist? Catholic? Methodist? Episcopalian? Presbyterian? or one of the million other branches?

Who are you or me or anyone else to make that judgement? And what does it have to do with anything? The question is are YOU willing to accept the opinion of another regarding his personal beliefs, or are you going to declare YOURSELF the moral arbiter of the entire Islamic faith and personally decide who is righteous and who is not?

B Moe on June 23, 2006 at 9:09 PM

But you, YOU have got it figured out entirely. And you’ve figured out that it will never ever change. You’re certain it will remain “what it ever has been through history: a blight, a cancer, a dark, murderous, rapacious oppression.”

dorkafork on June 23, 2006 at 9:42 PM

“Then who is the True Muslim?”

I take it that was a rhetorical question, since you are the final word on Islam.

dorkafork on June 23, 2006 at 9:47 PM

I stated my belief and my disagreement with someone else’s opinion – and backed up both. I have no moral equivalence about this subject whatsoever – and you obviously find my personal certainty distressing.

Instead of discussing this like adults, you both have since succumbed to absurdities (ie: red herrings and straw men) so I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. Someone’s got to stop the merry-go-round.

B moe: your attempt to compare the sects within Islam (especially the difference between terrorists and secular muslims) to the denominations within Christianity is – again – irrelevant. But I find it intriguing that you have to go there each and every single time – like you can’t think of anything else to say except to denigrate Christianity so that Islam looks a little better. It’s tiresome.

As to my question to my friend – he didn’t in find it silly at all. That’s because it made him think – something you are apparently incapable of at this time. He has since told me that he identifies as an Ismaili – which is a small Shia sect of Islam. I find that interesting.

Unfortunately, I need to leave at this time. I regret to say that I will miss the rest of your thoughtful replies.

Redhead Infidel on June 23, 2006 at 10:39 PM

Pointing out the different beliefs is denigrating? And I do wish you would explain how something is irrelevant, rather than just dismissing anything you disagree with as such.

– and you obviously find my personal certainty distressing.

Absurd and arrogant are actually the words I would use.

LOL!

B Moe on June 24, 2006 at 7:46 AM

I’m hoping Islam as a cult doesn’t survive.

Readheaded Infidel, what is your plan for making sure this “cult” doesn’t survive?

Sarah D. on June 24, 2006 at 9:01 AM

Ahhh look, almost a week away and the discussion has fizzled without me. On the off chance any of you three (B Moe, dorkafork, and Sarah D.) ever come back to check this comment thread, I will say this: Please, please do a better job of educating yourselves on the reality of Islam. You are deceived if you think it is a religion of peace.

If you are in the Chicago, Atlanta, or D.C. areas, please go see this movie Islam: What the West Needs to Know. It is only showing July 7-13th. It will enlighten you.

Sarah, you asked what my plan is for making sure Islam doesn’t survive? It is to help others see the truth about Islam. Have a conversation with any apostate of Islam – and yoou’ll hear more truth than you care to know. Once people know what Islam really is, they will reject it. For your sake and the sake of your daughters and granddaughters, Sarah, you’d better hope Islam does not survive.

Read Terror at Beslan to learn what is in store for OUR children. Discover why such brutal warfare against inoocents is OK by the Islamic standard.

Wake up, people! Stroking yourselves for being so ‘open-minded’ is about the most useless, brain-dead thing to do in the face of the greatest enemy our generation faces.

Redhead Infidel on June 29, 2006 at 11:11 AM