Big-budget anti-suicide bomb PSA filmed in L.A.

posted at 8:41 pm on June 21, 2006 by Allahpundit

It just occurred to me that I haven’t pilfered any links yet from Defense Tech today. So here, via DT, is the latest in the battle for hearts and minds: an FX-heavy recreation of a suicide bombing set to air on Iraqi TV.

“We all watch it on the evening news,” says 900 Frames partner Drew Plotkin, “but we’re using a 120-camera set up that was used in films like ‘The Matrix.’ It gives a frozen-in-time feeling. Instead of seeing a flash and ambulances racing to the scene, we’re showing the street right before the attack, during and right after. That will communicate the horror, the carnage, the human toll these attacks take on innocent civilians.”

Anti-terrorist PSAs have been airing for some time now on Iraqi television, and the investors and crew behind the new spot are taking enough of a risk that they’ve decided to keep their participation anonymous. But when you consider the mindset of the people it’s aimed at, you’ve got to believe they’re pumping a dry well here. I figure this ad will have about as much effect on the war on terror as, say, Nancy Reagan’s appearance on Diff’rent Strokes had on the war on drugs.

Comments

Excuse me Allahpundit, but I don’t know what PSA means, so I am forced to admit my ignorance here in public. If you or anyone else could tell me what PSA means, I would be most thankful.

Very respectfully,

EFG on June 21, 2006 at 9:43 PM

Public service announcement.

Allahpundit on June 21, 2006 at 9:55 PM

Thanks!

EFG on June 21, 2006 at 9:57 PM

They might not do much good in Iraq… but for those whose brains haven’t COMPLETELY atrophied they might do some good here.

RH

RobertHuntingdon on June 21, 2006 at 9:59 PM

I’m guessing the left here in the U.S. will air them in campaign ads somehow. Difference is they will probably excerpt the footage to demonstrates the “horrors” we are committing on the Iraqis….

Psycotte on June 21, 2006 at 10:41 PM

Somewhat related:

Ever notice how the left gets its panties in a knot if an Arab detainee at Club Gitmo hangs himself in his cell? But never bats an eye when a Palestinian blows himself up in Gaza and takes a bunch of Jews and Christians with him?

BigOrangeAxe on June 22, 2006 at 7:42 AM

The fact that you remember Nancy on Different Strokes – or even remember Different Strokes – and that I too remember – suggests we’re both getting very, very old.

Remember when 13-year-old (or so) Drew Barrymore was headlining Nancy’s “just say no” act, giving speeches and then running back to her trailer to do a line of coke?

Ah, the ’80s.

Professor Blather on June 22, 2006 at 9:39 AM

i thought that PSA was a test that guys get to check their prostate…

i wish it were the 80′s again – stirrup pants, shoulder pads, bangs, leg warmers and chain belts, spiral perms, Thriller, Madonna (when she was good) and when a double-ear pierce was considered “bad.”
the good old days…

I’m soooo off topic. my apologies to you, Allah the Great.

pullingmyhairout on June 22, 2006 at 6:12 PM