Breaking: Two missing U.S. soldiers found dead (Update: Audio added)

posted at 8:31 am on June 20, 2006 by Allahpundit

“Barbarically” killed, according to an Iraqi official. Traces of torture apparent.

Stop the ACLU has more.

Update: Press conference right now. Gen. Caldwell won’t confirm or deny the Iraqi report about the two troops; Steve Doocy on Fox says he sounds irritated and speculates it’s because the Iraqis leaked it to the press before the U.S. could notify the families.

Caldwell says we took a pound of jihadi flesh, too, killing a top-five leader of AQ in Iraq named Mansur Suleyman Mansur in Bakuba, near where the two soldiers went missing.

Update: Michael Berg redux? One of the soldiers’ uncles is already blaming the U.S. government for not offering a $100 million ransom. Matt Lauer called him on it.

Update: Sounds like Doocy was right.

Update: Here’s a snippet of audio from Thomas Tucker’s last phone call home, via Oregon’s Salem-News. You can listen to the entire call at the link.

Comments

Murtha’s “innocent civlians” were responsible for the deaths, no doubt.

MaiDee on June 20, 2006 at 8:37 AM

May God receive them into His home. And I wonder what the ACLU, Amnesty International and other NGOs will say? (Cue the crickets)

Ellen on June 20, 2006 at 8:38 AM

Its a bit telling that there are no videos of the soldiers pleading for their lives. They were likely killed for refusing to appear in a propaganda tape.

BelchSpeak on June 20, 2006 at 8:42 AM

No prayer mats, special foods or korans for our men. Torture and the murder of thier prisoners is all our enemy knows. Should we wait for the level of disgust deserved by this crime exclaimed by fellow Americans along with calls for honoring the Geneva Convention for soldiers of a nation, in uniform tortured and murdered as POWs? Murtha, Kerry, Turbin, Kennedy? Anything, boys????

Hening on June 20, 2006 at 8:45 AM

In the wake of the diabolically fiendish murders, we must now expect troop commanders instead of offering counseling and condolences, to order “sensitivity training” classes, issue stern warnings for our troops to be “better than they are,” and refrain from avenging the murders by barbaric Islamic savages called Muslims. The only thing these beasts understand is death! You cannot reason with wild animals.

Perhaps if our troops were not under pressure (or orders) not to shoot first, or return fire because OH, MY GOD, we might kill an “innocent” Muslim, the three assassinated soldiers would still be with us. This was an ambush designed from the inception to kill American soldiers!

If we are not going to allow our troops, in wartime, to kill the enemy, we really should, as John Murtha and John Kerry suggest, cut and run. The American Military is not a suicide brigade!

There is no way to win a politically correct war — and it is time we started killing the enemy before they kill all of us!

ForYourEdification on June 20, 2006 at 8:59 AM

Damn. Damn. Damn.

My prayers are with the families, and that retribution will be harsh and swift.

Pablo on June 20, 2006 at 9:00 AM

There’s no doubt these two brave American Soldiers fought back with fury and with all they had.

Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and loved ones.

Today we all cry with them.

Richard Davis on June 20, 2006 at 9:06 AM

So much for Geneva conventions. We should have a policy of executing selected terrorist prisoners (or even worse) in retaliation. Ransom – never. We’re at war.

All sympathy to the families, may these brave young men rest in peace.

dman on June 20, 2006 at 9:08 AM

Murtha, I served with Marines. I knew Marines. Marines are friends of mine. Murtha , you’re no Marine.

Wade on June 20, 2006 at 9:12 AM

I understand that grief can cloud one’s judgment, so I dismiss statements from the grieving families that we should have ransomed their loved ones. It would be mindless stupidity, however, to offer or pay ransoms for captured or kidnapped GIs. Pay $100 million to terrorists ransom a soldier? That would do three things for certain: make our troops targets, put them in far worse danger, and fund terrorism and terrorists’ further “adventures.”

The suggested $100 million bounties would be much better spent paying Iraqis to reveal the whereabouts of terrorists like Zarqawi so we can kill them where they stand, sit or sleep.

ForYourEdification on June 20, 2006 at 9:26 AM

dman
Agree with what you say. How about this – we can shut up the liberal bastards who keep calling for Gitmo to be shut down. We kill five terrorist prisoners for each American they execute. Maybe the population at Gitmo will slowly dwindle away. Or maybe we can just ‘encourage’ more of the Gitmo gang to commit suicide.

OBX Pete on June 20, 2006 at 9:32 AM

Today tears, tomorrow vengeance.

dhimwit on June 20, 2006 at 9:45 AM

I’m waiting for the liberals to come out against the terrorists for torture and human rights violations. I think i’ll be waiting for a VERY long time.

pullingmyhairout on June 20, 2006 at 9:57 AM

my nephew is over there right now and was involved with the skirmish in south baghdad ( i just heard from my dad ). he said that is was a “bad day.”

pullingmyhairout on June 20, 2006 at 9:59 AM

These 2 courageous troops were brutally killed, and all some of you can do is blather on about the “big, bad liberals”.

Talk about misplaced outrage, not to mention an unhealthy obsession. You know American politics has hit a new low when the moment a soldier is killed, people use it to bash the other side of the political spectrum (left and right).

My prayers are with their families and hope that justice is duly served.

better off blue on June 20, 2006 at 10:04 AM

Agreed, OBX. Carpet bombing of cities harboring these b*st*rds might be in order, as well.

dman on June 20, 2006 at 10:04 AM

blue: Remember that liberal Jimmy Carter is responsible for this mess. This is his legacy.

dman on June 20, 2006 at 10:11 AM

Hey blue, nice of you to pop in.

I’ll tell you why i’m outraged at the liberals – because all ya’ll ever do is whine about gitmo, how the U.S. is the worst violator of human rights, how we should get out of the “quagmire” of iraq, how we have “secret prisons”, how we “listen in on innocent american’s phone calls.”

I NEVER hear ya’ll EVER give credit to our soldiers over there AND i NEVER hear you offer an alternative to fighting this war on terror except that we need to leave Iraq. When some stray soldier kills an Iraqi, ya’ll call for investigations and you basically hang our boys out to dry before they’ve even been charged with anything. When the TERRORISTS torture and murder our soldiers, your silence is DEAFENING.

So, is my anger misplaced? I don’t think so considering that the liberals in this country are aiding and abetting the terrorists and that the MSM is an outlet for their propaganda. While you offer no solutions, you continue to be a BIG part of the problem.

pullingmyhairout on June 20, 2006 at 10:14 AM

More…
It all goes back to pussyfooting around the muslims because we don’t want to call a spade a spade – that islam is NOT a peaceful religion (they have proved that time and time again) Oh boy, can’t desecrate a Koran – that pisses off liberals more than anything. Piss on a Bible? A-OK with you guys. Muslim cartoons? Riots. Image of the Virgin Mary with urine on her? Art. I could go on and on.
Blue, when I hear you condemn terrorists (not the politically correct term “insurgents”)and say that this war is worth fighting I might listen to what you have to say. I’m not holding my breath.

No, my anger is NOT misplaced. It is placed squarly on the people who continue to pander to terrorists – liberals and MSM.

pullingmyhairout on June 20, 2006 at 10:19 AM

My heart goes out to the families who must endure the loss of their loved ones. I pray daily that my family will NOT be visited in the middle of the night by Army personnel. But, if i could do it without giving myself away, i’d post a letter from my nephew (Army, 4th ID, Ft. Hood) that explains WHY he is over there, why he joined and the incredible sense of accomplishment that he is feeling. he is impressed by the Iraqi Army and by their dedication. I wish I could post it. Sorry I can’t.

pullingmyhairout on June 20, 2006 at 10:22 AM

sorry ya’ll, I’m on a roll.

pullingmyhairout on June 20, 2006 at 10:22 AM

Don’t be sorry, pullingmyhairout. It’s for the families to grieve, and for the rest of us to sympathize with those familes, honor the dead, and avenge their death.

dman on June 20, 2006 at 10:34 AM

Thank you, pullingmyhairout. You and Ellen (post#2) have hit the nail on the head.

Purile poltroons such as Kerry, Murtha, Reid, Pelosi, et. al will probably blame the Army for the incident and call for an investigation.

Wil on June 20, 2006 at 10:35 AM

PMHO:

We are the only fools that follow ridiculous “rules of engagement”. Everyone else tries to win.

ecamorg on June 20, 2006 at 10:41 AM

Murtha, do you still want to nail our troops to the cross?

easy87us on June 20, 2006 at 10:55 AM

BetterOffBlue:

For just this once – for this one single thread – pretend you have a soul and show a little grace and and class and maturity, okay?

Just this once – for this one single thread – pretend you have an ounce of human decency and just shut that gaping stinkhole under your nose.

This isn’t the place for your partisan trolling. Feel free to find any of the other two dozen threads.

Just not this one. Not if you’re human.

Professor Blather on June 20, 2006 at 11:00 AM

For the rest:

I agree with all of the above. It is stunning – and stunningly sad – that because of domestic politics, we still refuse to fight this war … like its actually a war.

We are the only nation in history that has made a habit of intentionally fighting with our eyes closed and two hands tied behind our backs. No other power on Earth has taken such extraordinary care to do as little harm as possible in war time.

And what do we get for it? Criticized and condemned by those who’ve never read a history book.

I just finished reading David L. Robbins “The End of War,” about the race for Berlin at the end of WWII. It was a wonderful book (though not as good as his earlier “War of the Rats” about Stalingrad) but I came away with it stunned at how we USED to fight wars compared to how we do it now.

When the cluelessly classless like our resident troll ask why we are angered at politicians when things like this happen … it is because politicians in general and liberals in particular are RESPONSIBLE for so much of the death and destruction.

I’m just so frickin’ tired of it.

If we’re going to listen to the immensely uneducated American left … let’s just leave. Fine. “Cut and run” it is. If we’re not going to let these men fight – get the @#$@ out.

And if we’re going to “stay the course” … let us FIGHT.

Those men are dead for one reason: because we let them be. No one with even a vague understanding of history could reach any other conclusion.

Are we fighting a war? Or not? Would somebody please make a choice?

God bless those young men.

Are they going to die in vain?

Or will we let their comrades do the jobs they were trained to do?

Professor Blather on June 20, 2006 at 11:08 AM

How dare they torture and kill any soldier…we need to get the Geneva Conference busy on this….the ACLU should be notified and whatever organization is looking into the attrocities at Gitmo and Abu Graeb…yeah..I know…I won’t hold my breath.
That said…I am for carpet bombing the place into a glass parking lot. Drop leaflets as they did before Truman blasted Hiroshima to hell and then let go…end this war with much shock and awe……who needs respect…we should be feared as the first Ceasar was quoted as saying…”let them respect, but first they must FEAR US…” That is the only way to win this war….for them to FEAR our might.

Sandys Beach on June 20, 2006 at 11:08 AM

Now that WaPo has allowed the use of the word “barbarically,” may we start shouting from the rooftops that Al-Qaeda terrorists are, in fact, BARBARIC??? Oh, wait, that’ll offend them, won’t it? Can’t have that…

Aunt B on June 20, 2006 at 11:25 AM

I am greatly saddened by the loss of 2 more American Heroes and my thoughts and prayers are with their families.

At this point even carpet bombing seems a bit weak but it would be a good start. Where were all of these innocents that we keep hearing about? Was the abduction unseen by all?

While our Heroes work hard to protect America, Blue works hard to protect those who drag down our armed forces. I chalk it up as another proof that Losers act like LOSERS.

God Bless our Heroes.

DannoJyd on June 20, 2006 at 11:41 AM

My deepest sympathy to the families of the two murdered soldiers.

May they rest in peace.

Abigail Adams on June 20, 2006 at 11:47 AM

frankly, we put too much emphasis on this single events. These men served with honor and don’t deserve to be propped up as marters to terrorists. God, bless them.

tomas on June 20, 2006 at 12:00 PM

God be with their families
Its time someone pay very very dearly for this crime
May they be found and I hope the CO takes a walk around the block letting the enlisted men get some time alone with those terrorists

Defector01 on June 20, 2006 at 12:01 PM

Don’t waver friends. We must double our efforts to help our troops. Write letters to representatives, give to families, and make your voices heard. Don’t leave it to someone else this time.

Get out there and speak for those who give us that right. We are winning and we need to let everyone know that.

tomas on June 20, 2006 at 12:15 PM

Blue… you blow. The usual lefty mock “support” for our lost troops and their loved ones left behind.

I am having visions of “terrorist traps” containing B.O.B. and his comrades in each. Cage ‘em, stake ‘em to the sand and blow everybody’s s#@t away when the terrorists show up to collect their next opportunity to receive ransom.

*BOOM*

Maximum enemy casualties inflicted… terrorists AND their enablers!

Does THAT paint a vivid enough picture for how I regard you liberal scum, B.O.B??? Digest that Traitor! Succinct enough for you, Moron?

horsepower_1st on June 20, 2006 at 12:51 PM

My first feelings when I heard about the soldiers missing was that the MSM was wrong to say they were ‘kidnapped’. You can capture a soldier, but he’s not some little kid asleep in bed.
I pray for the families and friends of those who were captured and killed. We already had our resolve hardened; this re-affirms why we are there. Four years ago Hussien’s regime was the one decimating, preying upon the population. Never forget those 300,000+ Iraqis in the mass graves. The “insurgents”-many of whom are not even Iraqi, but have come over the border-want nothing more than for us to go away. I say that we add a year to our stay for every 10 people murdered by the insurgents. They murder 10? 2008. Ten more? 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. The only way to get us to leave is to stop fighting against the neo-natal government of Iraq and allow it to grow strong enough to control it’s borders and protect itself, police it’s own country. We’ve been in Germany for 50 years-we can wait them out.

Doug on June 20, 2006 at 1:09 PM

Let them hate so long as they fear.
(Oderint Dum Metuant)
Lucius Accius
(170 BC – 86 BC)

Sorry I had that quote wrong…but here it is in all it’s glory…we need to allow our military to live by that….

Sandys Beach on June 20, 2006 at 1:20 PM

today we pray for the loss of our soldiers and their greiving families….

tommorrow let the hunt begin for this “new” leader of al-queda in iraq.

robo on June 20, 2006 at 1:31 PM

There are reports that we got a top level al-Qaeda creep in the same area that the two were tortured. I am beginning to think that al-qaeda is on the ropes and what we’re dealing with is the fedayeen.

If that is the case then there is more to consider in terms of what kind of support they are getting. al-Qaeda is foreign and wahhabi(salafist) and unpopular, Baath is sunni and tribal and homeboy.

One thing to consider is that the fedayeen might take up the mantle of al-Qaeda in Iraq for purposes of misdirection.

Mike H. on June 20, 2006 at 1:33 PM

Mike — That’s in my update.

Do you guys even read the posts?

Allahpundit on June 20, 2006 at 1:34 PM

Blue: You have no SOUL. You have already have shown everyone hear that you have no respect for women. You make stupid childlike comments like calling Ann’s hands “skelitor hands”, and talking down to Michelle. Words mean things; when Madalene Albright is making a speech in Moscow putting down this countrys war policy, when Bill Clinton & Al Gore travel to the Mid East to critisise the US, this kind of action gets people killed and maimed. The above mentioned actions GIVES AID AND COMFORT TO THE ENEMY. Blue on a former post YOU THANKED GOD FOR THE DEATH OF ZAQARWI. Please don’t patronize us. Blue you put yourself and your own warped beliefs, and that cesspool of the Demmocrate party over God and country. Blue you are above God. Blue if you had one ounce of common sense at all you would have stayed off this thread.

birdman on June 20, 2006 at 1:42 PM

My thoughts and emotions are with the families of the two barbarically murdered soldiers and with all the soldiers and their families.

This could have been much worse – we could have had months of the MSM, especially Reuters and A/P drooling over the captors’ threats, demands, extractions, videos, tapes, more threats, more fears, ransom considerations, Carter-era counts of “day 15, 16,…245,…364,…”, Mr. Murtha and Mr. Kerry shouting “we should have left a long time ago and this would not have happened – it’s Dick Cheney’s fault”, or “…the President is an idiot and doesn’t know how to fight this war…”, as if this would be a play on Broadway.

KOS’ master must be mellowing. He hasn’t said yet “…I feel nothing…and…screw them”.

BREAKING (one can imagine and hope):
- President Bush’s compadres in Vienna are denouncing the murder.
- Mr. Kofi Annan, Secretary-General of the U.N. just called the perpetrators of these brutal acts “barbaric” and reiterated his strong support for following the Geneva convention, relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War – then he clarified that this might not be a war.
- The ACLU is weighing a fair response.
- Amnesty International is considering the exclusion of the U.S. from the ‘international’ in its title.

Mr. Blue, you squat on this board like a blue jay. If you are just curious on what the other side is saying, maybe they’ll open your horizon. If you’re looking for punishment, you sure get enough of it. On the other hand, you could have just posted your very last line “My prayers are with their families and hope that justice is duly served”. Anyone attacking you after that would have come across silly.

Entelechy on June 20, 2006 at 2:29 PM

Entelechy: When blue said;
“My prayers are with their families and hope that justice is duly served”, blue is patronizing, just like when said, thanked God for Zaqwari’s death. Blues trying to show that he cares. Just like a pain of glass you see right thru him.

birdman on June 20, 2006 at 2:47 PM

birdman,

I give ‘better off blue’ the benefit of the doubt; maybe he/she will see the light and vote conservative :)

Entelechy on June 20, 2006 at 3:01 PM

Entelechy: I hope your right. Maybe with his troling he will see the light. Blue was maybe raised as a lib. I always give libs the benefit of the doubt, after years and years of indoctronation from family, school, and the MSM beliefs are cemented in a person.

birdman on June 20, 2006 at 3:18 PM

birdman,

Most interesting to watch are some of my former liberal friends who became conservative when they achieved a bit of success in their professions and, especially, when they had a family of their own. They are more conservative than I am.

P.S. I never try to convert anyone. I believe this has to happen on one’s own.

Entelechy on June 20, 2006 at 3:25 PM

When a person leaves the nest starts a profession, marrys, starts a family, has a morgage, they start to realize the libs have a knife in their backs. I myself do try to convert people, pointing out the strong and also weak pts. of the conseratives. I also point out the weak points of the libs and also the strong pts. (what little strong they libs have). I never talk down to people, or brow beat them, or laugh at them. Trying to convert people to “right thinking” is a slow process, one is not converted overnight. Patience is the key, but I see results.

birdman on June 20, 2006 at 3:41 PM

i’ve noticed that better off blue hasn’t reappeared today…

pullingmyhairout on June 20, 2006 at 5:41 PM

Forget BoB you guys! The real problem is the anti-American fools that we have elected! They insure we fight in a “politically correct” manner. Idiots like Murtha, Kennedy, Kerry, Clinton, Pelosi and the like. They are ELECTED officials that Americans chose to put in office. They are traitors and liars. But we elected them!!!
If you want to do something meaningful, vote these traitors out of office. Talk to your friends and neighbors about these people in a measured and sincere manner. Do everything you can to get them out of office!

Bottom line: Our very survival is at stake here! We are fighting a foe that has waged war on Judeo-Christian civilization for hundreds of years. They don’t take prisoners or uphold the Geneva Convention. They don’t fight with one or two hands tied behind their back. They are not afraid to kill anyone at anytime to further their destruction of Western civilization and values. They have no value of life and no fear of death. They will kill us and our children in our beds if we let them! We cannot fight a “politically correct” war. These vermin must be exterminated! I am sorry if I offend some of the more sensitive readers here but we have to get realistic about who and what we are dealing with. Simply put; we either kill them or they will kill us. Unlike years ago, they have very good weapons, they have communication capabilities, they have force multipliers that they have never had before and they have billions of dollars at their disposal. And we are concerned about their feelings??!!??

God bless our military and their families and God help us all!

JonR on June 20, 2006 at 7:58 PM