L.A. Times: Bargewell report finds no cover-up in Haditha

posted at 6:25 pm on June 19, 2006 by Allahpundit

Smells like negligence. But negligence ain’t intent.

The general charged with investigating whether Marines tried to cover up the killing of 24 civilians in Haditha has completed his report, finding that Marine officers failed to ask the right questions, an official close to the investigation said Friday.

Nothing in the report points to a “knowing cover-up” of the facts by the officers supervising the Marines involved in the November incident, the official said. Rather, he said, officers from the company level through the staff of the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force in Baghdad failed to demand “a thorough explanation” of what happened in Haditha…

In the Haditha case, military officials have said that photographs of the scene contradicted the initial reports of Marines that the civilians were killed in the crossfire of a battle that erupted after a roadside bomb went off.

Bargewell’s inquiry was believed to have looked into who knew about the photos, and why those military men did not question the initial report.

“No question about it,” Murtha said.

murtha.jpg

Update: Our affiliate, Sanctuary, goes ‘shopping.

murtha-pistol.jpg

Update: Here’s my own contribution.

manet.jpg

Update: Sanctuary responds.

murtha-llama.jpg

Update: Reader insomni offers this one.

murtha-lies.jpg

Update: From David Lunde.

lundesigns-com.jpg

Update: Reader Kathy Y. sends this.

murtha-nutroots.JPG

Update: From reader Max S.

murthsidious.jpg

And from Rodger T. of Are We Lumberjacks.

murthaflapil.jpg

Update: And from Phillip J.

olbbook_corrected2.jpg

Update: Slublog riffs on Khaaan: “BUUUUUUSH!”

buuush.jpg

Update: Jason at Save the Soldierssts.jpg goes nuclear.

Update: From Steve M. at Elgin Tyrell.

060620-perception.jpg

Update: More still from Scott S.

ssand.jpg

Comments

Good grief, looks like Murtha needs hemorrhoid surgery.

speed647 on June 19, 2006 at 6:31 PM

Wonder when charges will be dropped

Defector01 on June 19, 2006 at 6:37 PM

Its amazing how quickly things change from the 6/17 NYT report to today’s LAT.

GT on June 19, 2006 at 6:59 PM

Well, MurthaKosSheehanKerry still have this to keep them warm:

(Cripes, people, put some HTML buttons on these comment windows!)

see-dubya on June 19, 2006 at 7:00 PM

They want to hold a hearing? Well, the very first person to be served a subpoena should be JOHN MURTHA!

Murtha should be compelled to explain publicly who told him what, when they told him, and how they knew. And more importantly, who approached whom.

Seems to me that if anyone leaked anything, it’s John Murtha — and perhaps it is he who should be shackled in a brig somewhere instead of our brave troops!

This guy is over the top nuts.

ForYourEdification on June 19, 2006 at 7:09 PM

Looks like another high-profile media-driven fraud as with the Duke “rape” case with Murthafu*ker being the Nifong of Haditha.

MaiDee on June 19, 2006 at 7:10 PM

uh, pass the vaseline and the bat please. Mr. Murtha needs a check up.

easy87us on June 19, 2006 at 7:18 PM

Murtha owes the marines an apology and he should be sactioned by the house ethics committee…..of course do not hold your breath for either one….

robo on June 19, 2006 at 7:25 PM

It looks like the Democrats are making the case against themselves, again.

They have perfected this art since Nov. 1994 and now have Karl Rove to blame. One couldn’t write such fiction, if one were talented to do so…

History will record “…at the turn of the century, while the country was fighting for its survival, Democratic luminaries roamed the vaunted halls of our Capitol: Mr. Kennedy (of Massachussetts), Mr. Kerry (also of Massachussetts), Ms. Pelosi, Mr. Murtha, Ms. Boxer, Mr. Reid, Mr. Durban…the Republicans had a few of their own”

Entelechy on June 19, 2006 at 7:30 PM

Sorry – s/b Mr. Durbin…that’s all I’m sorry for…

Entelechy on June 19, 2006 at 7:34 PM

“(Cripes, people, put some HTML buttons on these comment windows!)”

Agreed, plus some other formatting like bold and italics and a preview screen?

Please Allah!

ScottG on June 19, 2006 at 7:49 PM

Why, this looks like another Dan Rather Mary Mapes moment. Do you think the LSM will ever learn? Oh, goodness, I can’t believe I just asked that.

calnevari on June 19, 2006 at 7:49 PM

There needs to be a discussion of the root cause of civilian deaths in Iraq. Civilians are dying because the “soldiers” of Allah have neither the courage nor the conviction to wear a uniform. They disguise themselves as civilians so they can cower among the very people they claim to defend.

RedWinged Blackbird on June 19, 2006 at 7:52 PM

allah, michelle: Please no emoticons, whatever you do allow for this site, no emoticons.

shooter on June 19, 2006 at 7:56 PM

Ya mean Murtha gets virgins, too?

dman on June 19, 2006 at 8:05 PM

LOL!

venmax on June 19, 2006 at 8:17 PM

Only if he blows himself up. We can only hope.

RedWinged Blackbird on June 19, 2006 at 8:17 PM

Allah, how did you do the painitng?
It actually looks like Mutha’s face has been pinted in, not just photoshopped. (Sorry everyone, I am just interested in that type of stuff, should have seen what I did to my Universities VP years ago…Dave harnage of Borg)

Other then that, Mutha is going down pretty quick. The question now is, will he begin acting even more insane?

Wyrd on June 19, 2006 at 8:17 PM

Here’s a good caption:

I’m old as hell, and I’m not gonna take it anymore!!

venmax on June 19, 2006 at 8:18 PM

Murtha……
Deranged, so overated it’s laughable, afraid to come on any respectable talk show, coward, and cut and run artist. Any questions?

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on June 19, 2006 at 8:44 PM

Murtha is an aid and comfort to the enemy. Islamofacists could not ask for a better ally – and citizens of the United States a worse contribution to the United States.

PLEASE Pennsylvannia, you can do better than this clown!

omegaram on June 19, 2006 at 8:49 PM

Check out the 2nd weekend’s protest outside Camp Pendleton come join the next one Saturday.

Rowane on June 19, 2006 at 9:03 PM

Burka Burka, Murtha Jihad….

Romeo13 on June 19, 2006 at 9:45 PM

Here’s my contribution

The Ugly American on June 19, 2006 at 9:46 PM

Bryan, excellent job as always on the photoshop pic (as always!) Allah, you too! Like Wyrd, I was curious how you did the painting. Very smooth.

Leiren on June 19, 2006 at 9:58 PM

Here’s my contribution. I’m new to Flickr so let me know if I did this wrong. :)

Dave Shay on June 19, 2006 at 10:00 PM

More Murtha madness. He thinks we can fight the terrorists in Iraq better from Okinawa:

REP. MURTHA: So–and we don’t have to be right there. We can go to Okinawa. We, we don’t have–we can redeploy there almost instantly. So that’s not–that’s, that’s a fallacy. That, that’s just a statement to rial [sic] up people to support a failed policy wrapped in illusion.
MR. [TIM] RUSSERT: But it’d be tough to have a timely response from Okinawa.
REP. MURTHA: Well, it–you know, they–when I say Okinawa, I, I’m saying troops in Okinawa. When I say a timely response, you know, our fighters can fly from Okinawa very quickly.

[Article author:] They can? The two 500-lb bombs that killed Zarqawi were dropped by F-16 fighter aircraft. According to the U.S. military:

In an air-to-surface role, the F-16 can fly more than 500 miles (860 kilometers), deliver its weapons with superior accuracy, defend itself against enemy aircraft, and return to its starting point.

Okinawa is 4,899 miles from Baghdad. Do the math.

What a military genius.

insomni on June 19, 2006 at 10:07 PM

Rowane–great link!

Leiren on June 19, 2006 at 10:31 PM

Damn you Murtha, you keep on hunting me.

I told you, Bingo is at VFW 69, at 10 AM, not at NBC.

What’s the matter with you?

And by the way, Sofia, your roommate in the nursing home asked me to tell you that she wants her panties back.

CatholicConservative on June 19, 2006 at 10:55 PM

I just realized something. Looking at his picture made me think of the 2 crotchety old hecklers in the Muppet Show’s balcony.

Dave Shay on June 19, 2006 at 11:05 PM

When I see that picture, I think of this.

Slublog on June 19, 2006 at 11:40 PM

John Murtha’s strategy works. He stirred up a big storm and now the Demcrats cannot afford him losing his seat.

Muchoo $$$$ for John Murtha….

Money makes the world go around, the world go around,

Money makes the world go around,and for our dear Murtha,

It all gonna be great…ching ching kaching….Heil Murtha.

easy87us on June 20, 2006 at 12:16 AM

When I hear Murtha there is only one thing that comes to mind.

dung.

Moose Dung on June 20, 2006 at 12:24 AM

P(would be)MF

When I hear Murtha there is only one thing that comes to mind.

Murtha’s Banner

dung.

Moose Dung on June 20, 2006 at 12:26 AM

Vote for Irey..

Marvin on June 20, 2006 at 8:55 AM

Here’s mine, Murtha Eating Crow.

coondawg on June 20, 2006 at 11:06 AM

Wait this is better.

coondawg on June 20, 2006 at 11:25 AM

Here’s mine

TonyR on June 20, 2006 at 11:56 AM

Try this again

TonyR on June 20, 2006 at 12:01 PM

Reader Kathy Y,

How hilarious! It seems great minds think alike. See my post above from last night. :) You used a different source for the gun, hat and podium but it seems we both are onto something!

Dave Shay on June 20, 2006 at 1:29 PM

You think it; I make it happen!

We’ll split the merchandise profits 50/50. Deal? ;-)

DirkBelig on June 20, 2006 at 7:30 PM

DirkBelig, outstanding!

Which one is the Muppet and which is Murtha? I find them hard to tell apart. :)

Dave Shay on June 21, 2006 at 12:47 PM