Al Qaeda planned cyanide gas attack on NYC subway

posted at 5:16 pm on June 17, 2006 by Allahpundit

Well, not planned. “Prepared” would be a better choice of words: they built a working device and were 45 days away from using it when Ayman al-Zawahiri called off the attack. For unknown reasons.

So says Time magazine, citing a new book by former WSJ reporter Ron Suskin. They’re promising an extensive excerpt tomorrow morning but it’ll probably be subscriber-only so you’ll have to make do with this.

Worth noting:

Conventional wisdom has long held that the U.S. has no human intelligence assets inside al Qaeda. “That is not true,” writes Susskind. Over the previous six months, U.S. agents had been receiving accurate tips from a man the writer identifies simply as “Ali,” a management-level al-Qaeda operative who believed his leaders had erred in attacking the U.S. directly. “The group was now dispersed,” writes Suskind. “A few of its leaders and many foot soldiers were captured or dead. As with any organization, time passed and second-guessing began.”

Suskind names the ringleader too, but he was killed by Saudi police before the U.S. had a chance to interrogate him. Coincidentally.

The point to take away: Al Qaeda has crude WMD capabilities. Have a great evening!

Comments

Mortis on June 17, 2006 at 5:21 PM

Oh great, now after perusing their new issue of Time, every management level Al-Qaeda guy having a name remotely resembling “Ali” will be killed. How did this Suskin guy get this info anyway?

darwin on June 17, 2006 at 5:26 PM

I think I’m OK with that. And let’s call the next one Mohammed.

Pablo on June 17, 2006 at 5:32 PM

Works for me, Pablo. (grin)

GT on June 17, 2006 at 5:34 PM

I guess my point was they’ll kill whoever was talking to the U.S. agents. They can kill the rest.

darwin on June 17, 2006 at 5:38 PM

I’d like to think so, but I’m willing to bet the typical ACLU member believes in serendipity, and the idea that somehow, Al Qaeda calling off the attack was a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. (“It’ll all work out in the end…”)

I’m afraid the ACLU won’t ever feel the palpable sense of danger they ought to until something actually happens and their serendipitous reverie is interrupted.

RD on June 17, 2006 at 5:50 PM

Let’s hope the name “Ali” is an alias for a guy whose name isn’t remotely “Ali” in real life. (Or else we’re screwed.)

RD on June 17, 2006 at 5:51 PM

Excerpt from the book:

“They were stopped not by any intelligence breakthrough, but by an order from Osama bin Laden’s deputy, Ayman Zawahiri. And the U.S. learned of the plot from a CIA mole inside al-Qaeda.”

What? I think I’d call having a mole in al-Qaeda an intelligence breakthrough. These people are idiots, not to mention bin Laden’s gonna clean house now. Idiots.

darwin on June 17, 2006 at 6:02 PM

Guess we can’t credit the authorities, I’m just grateful OBL was feeling generous and humane that day

Defector01 on June 17, 2006 at 7:14 PM

Will anyone recognize that under President Bush we have been able to stop these attacks, by using SPY techniques and other NSA, CIA, “stuff”. Hey Dems, stop hindering the good guys. MSM, BACK OFF.
…it was under Clintons watch that al Qaedea got a head-start.
GO SPOOKS !!!

shooter on June 17, 2006 at 7:41 PM

How long until the libs try to blame this on Bush, and when will democrats finally admit to the existance of terrorists here in America?

I truely feel sorry for anyone living in a big city today.

DannoJyd on June 17, 2006 at 7:47 PM

“bin Laden’s gonna clean house now.”

Darwin,

Dead men don’t clean houses….

ScottG on June 17, 2006 at 8:56 PM

I am concerned with the possibility of another big attack. It is a not whether it will happen, but when.

With our border completely opened, we have put ourself in such a vulnerable position that is unmatched in the history of the United States of America. The problem is that we have no idea how much materials have already been imported into USA in past 5 years , waiting for some operatives to pick them up and use them.

On top of the threat, I am also worry about some one at the top would seize power, like what Hitler had done, in the event of a catastrophic attack.

The neglect of our security cannot possibly be blamed on neglect, it is almost intentional.

And that worries me.

easy87us on June 17, 2006 at 9:41 PM

“Ali, a management-level al-Qaeda operative”

Funny.

Is he in charge of Human Resources? Or office supply?

I wonder how many Virgins he does per Infidel.

By the way, Fortune Magazine ranked Al-Qaeda among the top 500 companies trading in Human Heads.

It is well-known that Bin Laden, the founder of Al-Qaeda has a fortune estimated at 2 billion Virgins, 69 Camels, 100 underground caves, 50 Toyotas Highlanders Heavy Duty and 2 goats.

CatholicConservative on June 17, 2006 at 10:44 PM

I guarantee you that they Jihadists that execute the next ambush on innocent civilians, will look like clean cut Arabs. Even college graduate looking.

EVERY AMERICAN MUST BE A SOLDIER – be on the lookout for anyone or anything suspicious..

PROFILE! PROFILE! PROFILE! PROFILE! PROFILE!

Every public place is a potential target, the Jihadist ARE PLOTTING right now.

I recommend – use your cell phone camera and take a picture of every Arab you see (the shabby nappy looking ones don’t worry me as much – but I still LOOK AT THEM). The clean cut Muslims usually we give a pass to them… They are the ones renting SUV’s and ambushing college kids on campus.

When you take a picture of a bad guy, HE WILL RUN! Then call 911.

Seriously, a subway bombing, a theater bombing, it’s all possible.

We have to be alert and vigilent. Don’t let Arabs walk around and we turn our heads away, don’t want to make eye contact with them – being PC – I say, look ’em in the eye and let ’em know you’re watching them…

Believe me, bad guys don’t want to be noticed…..

Take their pictures – if his eyes get REAL WIDE – you might have just stopped them… Look at how they are dressed, see any “lumps” – do his shoes look “BIG”??

This is a jihad people – they want to kill us. We must let them know, we will not go easy… We are LOOKING FOR THEM…

Richard Davis on June 17, 2006 at 11:01 PM

Richard Davis,

In my opinion, concentration camps and then deportation is the only solution if we want to clean America from Islam and the Muslims.

Of couse, no Muslims should step in this country, now and in the future.

CatholicConservative on June 17, 2006 at 11:18 PM

A bit extreme, CC; but why are we still issuing any student visas and the like to people from places like Saudi Arabia, egypt and the like. It would NOT be a violation of anyone’s rights to deny entry into this country based on whaterver protocol we decide on. Tell them that we’ll start re-issuingthe visas once they clean uo their acts.

Mike O on June 17, 2006 at 11:54 PM

CatholicConservative – I agree with you. It’s is harsh, but let’s face it. This is a WAR! The biggest FIGHT OF OUR LIVES!

They have declared a JIHAD on us, actually there has ALWAYS been a Jihad against non-muslims, its just that the Left (Clinton years) has EMBOLDENED them to the point of taking:
Our Planes with
Our Passengers
And Flying them into
Our Buildings full of
Our Citizens!!

Recall the Muslim who ambushed the college kids with a rented SUV…

So, putting them in camps and deporting them is harsh, but I for one, don’t want to keep letting them come here when so many of them WANT TO KILL US…

Cut off all student visas NOW, no YESTERDAY. And lets PROFILE these bastards because they DO NOT LIKE TO BE NOTICED.

Watch out for the “clean cut” looking ones, they’re the worst…

I know this is harsh, but hey… We are all in this together and the Jihadists need to know – WE ARE LOOKING AT THEM…

Richard Davis on June 18, 2006 at 12:42 AM

CC I can’t tar all Muslims as terrorists, I know too many hard working, kind, decent and yes, Patriotic ones. I do NOT trust Saudis though – from the cradle they are taught to hate the kuffir (us) and think we are all unclean.

Ellen on June 18, 2006 at 4:45 AM

*sigh*
Kinda-sorta outing a convert agent. Sounds familiar.

Crazy Islamofascists with crude WMD capabilities… that’s awesome. And by “awesome” I mean “incredibly fucked up.”

violet on June 18, 2006 at 5:05 AM

Folks, the Saudis are not the only problem, they are not the only Muslims. Did you forget?

A Muslim from Eastern Europe, or Western Europe can look like any of you, Anglo-Saxons: White skin, blue eyes and blond. Got the point?

The problem is ISLAM. And of course those who take Islam seriously, i.e. the devout Muslims who, to put Islam into practice, will kill all non-Muslims, especially the Western Infidels. Got it?

It will be a long process or a short one, it depends on the clowns governing us in D.C. Deportation is the only solution.

There should be no Muslims in America. No student visas, nothing.

Worry about Oil? Screw it. We will depend sooner or later on other sources of energy and we won’t fund those terrorists by buying their Oil anymore. In the meantime, maybe the scum Liberals and the trees worshipers will finally think straight and will not argue about drilling in Alaska and the coast of Florida.

And please cut the crap about “hard working, patriotic, etc. Muslims,” don’t be fooled by appearances. That’s how they attacked America on September 11, 2001 in the first place, by fooling people like you.

Always remember this:

A Muslim is loyal to only ONE thing: ISLAM.

CatholicConservative on June 18, 2006 at 7:36 AM

The Saudis are not the only problem, they are not the only Muslims. Did you forget?

There should be no Muslims in America. No student visas, nothing.

Always remember this:

A Muslim is loyal to only ONE thing: ISLAM.

CatholicConservative on June 18, 2006 at 8:02 AM

“Boy, I bet the ACLU is feeling stupid about appossing bag searches now, ain’t they?”

The ACLU management would, I believe, rejoice, should a WMD attack succeed in the USA.

For three reasons: 1. They are part of the “Hate America First” crowd which believes that the United States is the source of all evil in the world, and that we deserved it.

2. The event would advace the fortunes of the Democrats in the fall election and/or 2008. The ACLU clearly favors the Democratic Party.

3. The inevitable backlash and security crackdown would result in additional cash contributions to the ACLU putting their funding efforts into overdrive as they advertise the necessity of “defending the Bill of Rights” and the “rights of terrorists.”

Yes, I question the patriotism of the ACLU.

georgej on June 18, 2006 at 11:23 AM

Catholic Conservative:
For clarification, are you saying that we should get rid of the Muslims that are citizens of the United States as well? While I believe that the talking heads aren’t addressing the larger issue of Islam as a political movement as well as a religion, (as Mark Steyn urges us to do), I can’t get behind a call to rid the country of ALL Muslims. I think we should place limits on immigration or ban visas from places like Saudi Arabia and Syria, places that are known for radical Islam.
But we can’t kick out our *citizens* based on their religion.

violet on June 18, 2006 at 3:57 PM

Well violet, if they want to be U.S. citizens they should start acting like that and denounce muslim terrorism. Personally I would love to see them renounce islam itself, but one step at a time.

I consider many muslims here complicit for the simple fact that “passive” acceptance of islamic terror by not taking a stand against it, and not cheering for their own nation can be just as bad as active participation.

Their acceptance just enables the terror groups still in this country.

darwin on June 18, 2006 at 4:40 PM

CatholicConservative,
Apparently we are still issuing so many student visas to foreign countries such as Saudi Arabia, Egypt, etc… because our nation is putting their stamp of approval on the murdering of millions of unborn children. Eventually, the college campuses need students and the students are not here because they were murdered 18 or more years ago:( Sad, but true. Of course I’m not agreeing that issuing the student visas is a solution.

wytammic on June 18, 2006 at 6:36 PM

Catholic Conservative:
But we can’t kick out our *citizens* based on their religion.

violet on June 18, 2006 at 3:57 PM

===========================================================

You bet. All Muslims, out of America. Those whom you call “Americans” should be stripped from the citizenship of our great country that we granted it on them. They were never, they are not nor they will will AMERICANS.

You are naive to think that there are so-called “American Muslims” or “Moderate Muslims.” If you believe so, then the Muslims, CAIR, and the Liberal Media succeeded in fooling you.

A Muslim is loyal only to Islam.

A Muslim Loves only Islam and “his brothers” the other Muslims.

Am I clear? I don’t know how to put it in more simple words.

I’m not inventing it. This is the TRUTH. This is Islam taken directly from its “holy book,” the Quran.

I’m sorry you didn’t realize it so far.

But people learn.

CatholicConservative on June 18, 2006 at 8:19 PM

Is there a problem publishing posts here? Mine take a while. Sometimes not at all, after hitting “Submit Comment”.

CatholicConservative on June 18, 2006 at 8:39 PM

CatholicConservative,

wytammic on June 18, 2006 at 6:36 PM

=============================================================

Let me stop you here.

“We” are issuing those student visa to Muslim students because of the clowns who are governing us in D.C. who don’t care about anything except 3 things:

1 – Money.

2 – Power.

3 – Fame.

It all comes down to those three.

As for America, the security of the American people, and patriotic themes like that… SCREW IT!

The American people need to wise up, and see clearly that those scumbags in D.C. are not on their side. They are hurting America, they are selfish bastards, they worry only about whether or not they will lose power, as for you and me, the ordinary citizen of this great nation, we mean nothing to them.

Therefore, we desperately need a THIRD PARTY.

I am calling, as well as many like me, for a TRULY CONSERVATIVE Party.

It will come, we have to work for it.

Enough is enough.

CatholicConservative on June 18, 2006 at 8:40 PM

CatholicConservative,

wytammic on June 18, 2006 at 6:36 PM

=============================================================

Let me stop you here.

1 – Money.

2 – Power.

3 – Fame.

It all comes down to those three.

The American people need to wise up, and see clearly that those douche bags in D.C. are not on their side. They are hurting America, they are selfish, they worry only about whether or not they will lose power, as for you and me, the ordinary citizen of this great nation, we mean nothing to them.

Therefore, we desperately need a THIRD PARTY.

I am calling, as well as many like me, for a TRULY CONSERVATIVE Party.

It will come, we have to work for it.

Enough is enough.

CatholicConservative on June 18, 2006 at 8:42 PM

Sorry for the almost duplicating posts. Something is wrong with the site I guess.

CatholicConservative on June 18, 2006 at 8:43 PM

Anyone notice the parallel in Suskind’s book?

Ayman Al Zawahri decided to gas the NY subway system before he decided not to gas the NY subway system.

Could it have been due to the 500 lb bombs we were dropping on his home office (cave) in Afghanistan, shortly after 911?

“Er, ah, there’s been a temporary change in plans while I go into hiding … I’ll get back to you ASAP”.

realitychick on June 19, 2006 at 9:27 AM