Senate torpedoes Iraq pullout proposal

posted at 5:19 pm on June 15, 2006 by Allahpundit

93-6.

Hugh Hewitt has the roll. Before you click, see if you can guess the six “nay” votes. I got four.

Comments

You got me, Allah. I only got 3. I guessed Turban, DiFi, and Ringside Harry.

Kid from Brooklyn on June 15, 2006 at 5:28 PM

Where’s all that courage when they’re on the record?

dman on June 15, 2006 at 5:36 PM

I thought Durbin for sure…only Byrd is a surprise – he probably will say that his decision has to do with “senatorial rules or decorum” or something like that…he considers himself the ‘god of the Senate’.

Sometimes in the future, you will hear “I voted ‘Nay’ before I changed my mind”. Who will say that?

Entelechy on June 15, 2006 at 5:47 PM

Reid bailed on the Kos kiddies, I guess.

see-dubya on June 15, 2006 at 6:10 PM

Byrd likes the burkhas. Reminds him of the carefree days of his youth when he wore Klan sheets and peeked out of slits like the women do in Iraq.

Burka, Burka, Mohammed Jihad…

clyde on June 15, 2006 at 6:21 PM

At least those six stuck with their convictions, the rest fled like cockroaches.

Defector01 on June 15, 2006 at 6:21 PM

Barbara Boxer should take a laxative. She would feel better and do a better job in the Senate for the state of California.

clyde on June 15, 2006 at 6:21 PM

see-dubya, Reid will say at some point in the future “I was mislead when I voted ‘Yea’. I now fully disavow my vote”. Whom does that rimind you of?

Entelechy on June 15, 2006 at 6:29 PM

Sen. Boxer is my Senator and I’m ashamed that she represents our state. She can vote her conscience or her politics every time but she is uncivilized, unrefined and just simply not well-bred. I think even the democrats are ashamed of her, often.

Entelechy on June 15, 2006 at 6:36 PM

NAYs —6
Boxer (D-CA)
Byrd (D-WV)
Feingold (D-WI)
Harkin (D-IA)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA)

I’m not surprised that the preceding gaggle of dolts voted against the motion to table, but Rockefeller stands alone as one who lacked the guts to even commit himself.

rplat on June 15, 2006 at 6:37 PM

Clyde….I’LL feel better if BoTOXer takes a laxative. She’s got a constipated mindset.

I figured these democommies would vote “NO”.

The House votes tomorrow.

doingwhatican on June 15, 2006 at 6:38 PM

After all, Iraq formally notified the UN that it wants the U.S.-led multinational force to remain.

sugiero on June 15, 2006 at 6:42 PM

Good for Mitch McConnell who called JF’nK on his proposal to withdraw troops by year-end.

McConnell has more savoir faire than Billy Frist.

doingwhatican on June 15, 2006 at 6:51 PM

OK, here are some of the big liberal wigs that have chickened out. Fellow liberals should go after them….don’t waste your time on Bush please…

Schumar, Pelosi, Hillary, Obama, Fienstein.

And remember, don’t you liberals come to us again because your big guns are all for STAY THE COURSE!

easy87us on June 15, 2006 at 7:01 PM

Be nice if the Republicans had some cohones and made the vote on border security separate too, so America could see which congressmen and senators were standing for.

clyde on June 15, 2006 at 7:19 PM

I got four also. Kennedy, Kerry, Feinstein and Boxer. I missed on Durbin and Murray.

Pablo on June 15, 2006 at 7:22 PM

I had 4. I guessed Hagel would be there.

E5infantry on June 15, 2006 at 7:37 PM

As early as next Monday, you will start hearing from some Democrat Senators that they are for pulling out after they vote against it.

But this time Kerry voted what he stands for. You gotta give him some credit.

Now watch out for Durbin, Pelosi, and Hillary!

I give Durbin 7 days to change his mind, Pelosi 3 days, and Hillary 2 months…

easy87us on June 15, 2006 at 7:51 PM

I am so disappointed at the Demos. There are 45 of them and they have 38 chickens and one turtle.

The 6 Senators who voted for a pull out at least are consistent.

The other 39 are fertilizer material.

Then again, what’s new?

easy87us on June 15, 2006 at 7:55 PM

Byrd (KKK-WVa) said the other day that the proudest moment in his long Senate career was when he voted against Gulf War II.

His second proudest moment was when he voted in favor of the Louisiana Purchase.

Labamigo on June 15, 2006 at 8:49 PM

Good to see some in the Senate have a few brains left. Seeing this through is important, not just for Iraqis, but for America. A post I wrote earlier in regards Kerry’s “regrets” and proposed legislation;

“Kerry can regret anything he wishes, no matter to me.

However, he misled the nation before on his cut and run policy and it cost possibly millions of South Vietnamese, Laotians, Thais and Cambodians their lives. His estimate was maybe 3,000.

It seems that after Korea, the US adopted a policy of abandoning their allies struggling for freedom. Even in Korea we did not win, just kept troops there to keep the Communists at bay.

We saw it when the Cubans that tried to overthrow Castro were decimated in the Bay of Pigs invasion, believing the US had their backs.

We saw it as we sat by and watched the Soviets rearm and resupply North Viet Nam after we pulled out there and when they invaded the South, instead of resupporting them, as promised, we turned our backs and watched as they too were overthrown and their numbers decimated.

After the first Gulf War, we encouraged Iraqis to rise up against Saddam. When they did, we turned a blind eye and again watched as they too were decimated.

And now, we finally have a chance to redeem our reputation and are making significant headway in building up the Iraqis to have their first ever taste of freedom and liberty in their lives and what happens? Along come ‘ol cut and run Kerry demanding we once again abandon another ally and sit back and watch as they too will be cut to shreds by organized terrorists.

America gained its freedom over 200 years ago with help from many others, mostly the French. We could not have done it ourselves. No nation has ever won freedom or kept it by themselves. It takes the help of freedom loving people the world over to do the job. Due to our strength and heritage, America is the nation that is strong enough and wealthy enough to help others that truly seek freedom.

The Kerry’s, Kennedy’s, Murtha’s, Pelosi’s and such need to be ignored and sent packing. Freedom lovers the world over cannot afford to listen to them any longer.”

LewWaters on June 15, 2006 at 8:53 PM

Bravo LewWaters, well spoken.

rplat on June 15, 2006 at 8:56 PM

I guessed all correctly except Harkin (I guessed Reid instead).

j.d. on June 15, 2006 at 9:11 PM

I really thought Kerry would vote for it before he voted against it.

gary on June 15, 2006 at 9:40 PM

“I really thought Kerry would vote for it before he voted against it.”

Someone tried to tell me the other day that he served in Viet Nam, but I’m pretty sure he would have mentioned that during the campaign if he had.

E5infantry on June 15, 2006 at 9:47 PM

Ok. This is pretty much as I expected [I didn't guess at the outcome], but what about all of the polls that say Americans want the troops out of Iraq? I guess the Senate doesn’t believe those either.

I may not have any love for the cut and run 6, but I have to give them credit for having the courage to stand by their convictions. They are wrong, but at least these few liberals are honest for once. The liberals in the House could learn a thing, or 6 from these.

DannoJyd on June 15, 2006 at 11:58 PM

Hey Clyde, thanks for the good laugh about byrd and his reason to love the burka. Funny stuff.

Tony737 on June 16, 2006 at 6:24 AM