“Hadji Girl” update: Islam Online makes hay (Update: Marine brass feeling heat from Belile’s defenders)

posted at 12:26 pm on June 15, 2006 by Allahpundit

They place the song in the context of “insensitivity” towards Iraqis, which lets them segue into what they really want to talk about: Haditha. Looks like Allah gave them the green light to drop the word “alleged” when writing about it:

Last November, US soldiers killed 24 Iraqi civilians, including seven women and three children, near Haditha as they had gone on rampage after their patrol was attacked…

The Pentagon decided on Thursday, April 1, to give ethic training to all its troops in Iraq following the Haditha massacre.

Let’s talk about insensitivity. The “About Us” page at Islam Online boasts of their connection to Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi; a separate page transcribes a speech given by Qaradawi trumpeting the site’s launch. Quote:

This is what this major, global project – Islam Online – is doing. It carries the message of Islam to the world. It addresses non-Muslims to help them understand the creed, law, ethics and civilization of Islam. It addresses Muslims as well, to help them understand correct Islam…

The speech conveniently omits the details of what the Sheikh regards as “correct Islam.” Perhaps we can fill in the blanks in the interest of demonstrating Islam Online’s good judgment when it comes to “insensitivity.”

All emphases are mine.

From 2002:

Saykh Yusuf al-Qaradawi delivers the sermon. …

Concluding, the imam prays to God: “O God, give us victory over your enemies, the enemies of Islam. O God, protect us from their evils, weaken them, wipe them out, destroy their power, and prevent them from committing aggression against your servants. O God, destroy the aggressor, treacherous Jews. O God, destroy the aggressor Americans. O God, destroy the fanatic pagans. O God, destroy the tyrannical Crusaders.”

From 2004:

An Egyptian cleric based in Qatar and often described as a moderate has ruled that it is a religious duty for Muslims to fight Americans in Iraq, including U.S. civilians, his office director said Thursday.

From 2005, an excerpt of his remarks to a conference held at … a youth center:

When I was only nine, the people of my village gave me the title ‘sheikh [who teaches] the Koran and religious science.’ I have devoted myself to religious propagation [da’wa] for the sake of Allah, and I have not relinquished the mission that Allah entrusted to me. I see myself as appointed by Allah. I will never withdraw from this mission. I hope my life will end with a virtuous death, like [the death] sought by warriors fighting Jihad for the sake of Allah…”

From February of this year — with video:

Everything will be on our side and against Jews on [Judgment Day], at that time, even the stones and the trees will speak, with or without words, and say: “Oh servant of Allah, oh Muslim, there’s a Jew behind me, come and kill him.” They will point to the Jews. It says “servant of Allah,” not “servant of desires,” “servant of women,” “servant of the bottle,” “servant of Marxism,” or “servant of liberalism”… It said servant of Allah.

There’s more sensitivity about Jews and wife-beating at MEMRI, if you can stand it. Bear it all in mind when Andrew Sullivan inevitably links to Islam Online as proof that, thanks to “Hadji Girl,” we’ve lost their hearts and minds.

Update: Just received an e-mail from a credible source who encourages Cpl. Belile’s defenders to keep up the pressure.

I just got off the phone with [a source in the Pentagon]. The Cpl. reported to me that they were all VERY appreciative of the support and that this was a “Brass” decision… He said they were already getting calls and that it was helping, but they needed to get a lot more to make a difference. It really is helping the Marines to know that they are not alone and that not everyone hates them… He said these calls were making everyone’s day.

I have emailed “The Sweater Kittens” and offered to assist them with any legal representation (should it be required) and highly suggest that the Milbloggers and others make this a STRONGLY CONTESTED issue with the USMC Pentagon bureaucrats for the next week or so. Evidently, according to what I’m being told, how this situation turns out will have far reaching implications within the USMC and with the Marines who are forward deployed. It seems they are discussing a possible new “PC Policy” now for the Marines.

This sucks and I’m willing to go to the mat to fight on this. If we don’t, we’re going to be overrun with a level of PC that will completely destroy the Constitution.

Here’s the contact info from today’s Vent:

Commandant of the Marine Corps
Phone: (703) 614-1034
Fax: (703) 614-2358
comrel@hqmc.usmc.mil

Comments

ETHICS of Islam? This is the religion that avows to “cut off hands and feet on opposite sides of the body” of unbelievers.
Ethics is not a word in Arabic, or if it is, no one has translated it to the masses.

clyde on June 15, 2006 at 1:02 PM

We need some contact information for those in the Crystal Palace i.e., the Pentagon. I have a list of email addresses for elected officials but unfortunately I am seriously lacking in contacts for folks at DoD and the Pentagon.

LakeRuins on June 15, 2006 at 1:07 PM

May be Rush Limbaugh could send Rumsfeld an email on behalf of the soldiers?

Sure beats my useless ranting here….LOL

easy87us on June 15, 2006 at 1:19 PM

“It addresses non-Muslims to help them understand the creed, law, ethics and civilization of Islam.”

Civilization of Islam … now there’s a contradiction in terms.

thirteen28 on June 15, 2006 at 1:33 PM

Anyone have ANY contact with Toby Keith????

Bet he’d do this song for the Sweater Kittens??? Help em a bit???

S!

Romeo13 on June 15, 2006 at 1:40 PM

“Everything will be on our side and against Jews on [Judgment Day], at that time, even the stones and the tree”

Umm, did they just admit to being people of the Anti-Christ with this or am I missing something?

“We need some contact information for those in the Crystal Palace ”

Go to the Pentagon’s website there are a lot of contacts there.

Duty, Honor, Country
(in THAT order)
Rowane

Rowane on June 15, 2006 at 1:47 PM

Yet, there it is. Still trying to convince me that Islam is a religion of peace.

A day in a life of a Muslim:

Wake up, beat wife, teach childern to hate, blow up self, get 72 virgins.

It doesn’t get any better than this!

Allah Akbar

Kini on June 15, 2006 at 1:53 PM

easy87us:

I hate to say it, but the country has become a gaggle of sick, political correctness. It would have been INSANE years ago for a Marine officer to shackle troops convicted of nothing, or to harass a Marine for singing a song. And who gives a DAMN if it offends Hadjis, Muslims, Imams or Islamic terrorists?

I am ready to THROW UP from the teeming political correctness flowing out of Washington, and that includes Bush, Rumsfeld, and the rest of those who have done NOTHING to prevent or stop the PERSECUTION of our troops.

And worse, they have done this to placate a hateful bunch of terrorists who want to kill us! At first, when the allegations surfaced, I cared. Now all I care about is justice for our troops.

ForYourEdification on June 15, 2006 at 1:53 PM

Methinks Marine “Brass” should be changed to “Aluminum” or maybe “Tinfoil.”

America1st on June 15, 2006 at 2:04 PM

Kini you forgot: Have sex with children, especially young boys!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on June 15, 2006 at 2:13 PM

ForYourEdification…I agree…but

I am cool…I get my satisfaction when Ann Coulter stirred them up and then have herself a top seller….COOL!

I am happy when one piece of good news comes in after another..

I get my satisfaction when the liberal camps are falling apart..

I get more satisfaction if we can get this top bass “retired” through the Senate. I am counting on him becoming one of those generals speaking against the war…LOL Do you see how miserable is Wesley Clark?

Yes, bad things happen everyday but we have to remain cool…man…cool.

Those soldiers are tough mean fighting machine. It is a disgrace for the military to treat them worse than those thugs at Gitmo. But then we have Bush up there, not Reagan.

08….no more Bush..08….let us put a real conservative back into the White House.

Liberals can really wear you out with their treachery and false accusations.

easy87us on June 15, 2006 at 2:38 PM

it’s not like the guy cut off american contractors heads, dragged their bodies through the street, strung them up on a bridge, and sent the pictures to Al Jazeera. He only wrote a song. jeez.

pullingmyhairout on June 15, 2006 at 2:55 PM

I called and voiced support for the Marines at the ‘Commandant of the Marine Corps’. A SGT answered and took said support to forward to ‘higher ups’, all in less than a minute.
If you care to join in:
Phone: (703) 614-1034
P.R. Marine Corps
Thx for the contact info to allahpundit!

shooter on June 15, 2006 at 3:20 PM

Well, since the Email server for the Commandant of the Marine Corps is rejecting my messsage, I’ll just post it here for all to see. Maybe someone will forward this whole thread for the Marine Brass.
————————————————–
Sir;

I can not believe this nonsense about investigating Corporal Belile and possibly punishing him for a song performed as it was, in the situation that it was done.

If this young man had done it at a public event, wearing full Marine uniform, I could see where you might have point in deciding on some sort of minor punishment.
But in a T-shirt and no insignia, off duty, and apparently just among friends and peers? Punishing that and wasting time, resources and effort investigating it is just wrong and wrong headed.

Even back in my High School and Junior College Military Academy days (NMMI), we had marching and PT cadences and songs that were ‘worse’; Not to mention during Basic, AIT, Jump School and Ranger School, and in our working units.

This action that the Marine Corps hierarchy has undertaken; This ‘politically correct’ caving in to CAIR; a propaganda arm of the enemy (Enemy of not only America but the entire civilized world) is destroying not only Corps morale, but the morale of all the Services and most of us that have served in the past.

I’m an old ex-Army Ranger NCO…. There were some in those days who called us ‘the Marine Corps of the Army’…
They meant it as a sort of an insult, but I always accepted it with a bit of pride because we and the Marines shared many of the same attributes; Esprit De Corps, courage, professionalism and tough as hell. And I always liked working joint Ops and doing training with Marines much more than most of our own Army ‘leg’ units.

Today, I find myself ashamed of the Marine Corps leadership; In the old days, I never would have imagined that a bunch of Politically Correct, Dhimmi, Marine senior officers could exist.

Are they hoping for a position on the Hillary DoD or something?

With all the respect I can muster at the moment: (which is not much).

Sincerely;

LegendHasIt on June 15, 2006 at 5:15 PM

Feel free to plagerize my email:

Dear Marine Corps Commandant,
I am utterly disgusted with the LACK OF SUPPORT that the Marine BRASS is giving our Marines. As a red-blooded American, I AM TIRED of it.

What happened to the days when the Marine Commandant had some guts?? The Marine Commandant of the past would have told CAIR to “PACK SAND, or you’ll write a song about them!”

Nooooooo, nowadays you cave in and crumble to the liberals and the PC generation of Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Please honestly answer this question: Are you a LIBERAL?? You ACT like a liberal.. Don’t you understand that there are 10′s of millions of Americans that are behind our Marines 100%. We are tired of your pathetic lack of support.

Pantano, Haditha, Navy Corpsman, and 8 Marines locked up for war crimes!!! And now you are DOING AN INVESTIGATION OVER A SONG?!! It’s insane! You are sooooo wrong, so wrong. Have you seen the conditions and the animals our Marines are fighting??

Why are our heroes sitting in chains in a jail cell in Camp Pendleton?? I have many Marine friends and spoke to many Marines during Fleet Week and I KNOW WHAT KIND OF HELLISH WAR THEY ARE FIGHTING IN IRAQ and Afganistan.

So I ask, are you a LIBERAL?? Why are you undermining YOUR OWN TROOPS?? I love our Marines, I believe the Marines don’t kill anyone that don’t deserve it – they LIVE the core values of HONOR, COURAGE, COMMITTMENT -everyday! in or off the battlefield. The have EARNED THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT in anything they do.

I will not let you investigate this Marine over a SONG!!!! for God’s sake man (or are you a female commandant??) BACK THIS GUY UP – DON’T STAB HIM IN THE BACK!

Sincerely,
Richard Davis

Richard Davis on June 15, 2006 at 8:34 PM

Sir,

This is a short note to inform you of my unwavering and unconditional support of Cpl. Belile, the video of whose song “Hadji Girl” was posted on YouTube.com. I understand that the widespread exposure which resulted has caused a bit of an uproar, especially with the professional victims and martyr-wannabes at the Council of American-Islamic Relations (CAIR). Please do not allow this litigious, terrorist-coddling organization to sway USMC policy in any way because, I assure you, they most definitely do not nor ever will have the best intentions of the Corps or the USA at heart. Quite the contrary, CAIR exists solely to leverage the mechanisms of our free society against us – they are an enemy within our borders. I urge you not to give weight to their complaints nor capitulate to any of their demands!

Cpl. Belile has served honorably and any reprisal against him by the Corps at CAIR’s urging would be disastrous, from both a PR perspective and, much more importantly, as a precedent which would embolden jihadists around the world.

Cpl. Belile blew off some steam when he wrote & performed that song. It is obviously a joke. Don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise. Don’t implement “political correctness in the Marine Corps, because PC is for pussies, not Marines. Thank you.

inmanjh on June 15, 2006 at 9:20 PM

Dear Sir:

If you listen to the lyrics of almost any rapper performing in the past decade, Cpl. Belile’s song pales in comparison. Surely, the apology he apparently issued should suffice. What a shame that he has now been effectively silenced entirely by virtue of a full blown investigation.

Can’t our marines even catch a break for singing what some consider a tasteless song these days? Where are the officers who should be supporting Belile against a political attack from an organization like CAIR which in no way represents the people of Iraq.

Cpl Belile is NOT the one making the Corps look bad in this. I regret that I cannot express how angry this travesty makes me. What happened to Semper Fi?

Sent 6/16/06 at 01:18

JM Hanes on June 16, 2006 at 12:05 AM

LoL Kini… and about those 72 virgins…

Joe on June 16, 2006 at 12:14 AM

Thought I would share my letter to the Commandant of the Marine Corps

Dear Sir:
I am sure that by this time you have received hundreds, and maybe even thousands, of messages regarding the situation with LCPL Beliel and the now named “Hadji Girl” video, however I would like to add my voice to the what the hell are you thinking crowd. Being a retired member of the Army having served all of my time in the infantry I was often scolded and often in turn admonished my subordinates with the phrase, Don’t think, thinking will get you killed! With that being said we relied on training to the point where our actions became automatic in response to a variety of different situations. With that in mind it has become apparent that apparently step one on your immediate reaction drill to any criticism or accusations directed at YOUR Marines is to immediately initiate a rectal-cranial inversion.
Well sir it is now time to move to step two which is to pull your head out of your fourth point of contact, as we say in the Army. I cannot believe that the propaganda arm of the enemy that we are engaged in armed conflict with, and this is indeed what CAIR is, can issue forth an accusation and instead of standing up for your Marines you instead do their bidding. Army tactics may differ from those of the Marines but I was always taught that when engaged by the enemy immediately seek cover, return fire in sufficient quantity and quality to gain fire superiority, and then close with and destroy the enemy.
Your Marines in the field seem to understand this concept since they never lose any engagement they have with the enemy however you sir seem to have forgotten that basic principle of combat.
So sir, I implore you that instead of merely staying behind cover and according to some reports even aiding the enemy on an attack on YOUR Marines that you return fire, gain superiority and go on to destroy the enemy.

Sincerely,

SFC, USA (RET)

LakeRuins on June 16, 2006 at 11:02 AM

Gotta say I’m behind Cpl. Belile on this one. I may not like what he said, but he has the right to say it.

Vanya on June 16, 2006 at 6:17 PM